just a suggestion

Options
shadydawg
shadydawg Posts: 95 Arc User
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
hey all how is everyone doing..this is my first post in the forum an i hope i don''t offend anyone..i have been hearing alot about people account being **** an all their gears being stolen
Here is a suggestion on it can GM's put something in the game that allows you tag mounts an other stuff ( like the collars the venos use to name their pet) an let it show the name of the person who owns the gears an make it password proteected just in case the owner decides to sell he/she can put in unlock code to remove his or her name from it to sell...
i think this would be good thing in the game to where as you can track down who the hackers/thieves are in the game when they world chatting about selling something

Please respond an tell me what you think about itb:thanks

example

MANUFACTURED by

OWNED by
Post edited by shadydawg on

Comments

• Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Each piece of gear already contains a "manufactured by" tag if you look at it. Fuzzy would also suggest there is the option to bind any equipment that you are worried about. (Me personally bound everything long ago just to avoid needing to worry about Saftey Lock)

But above all, and Fuzzy can't stress it enough, just simply don't share your account log-in information. This will avoid any tye of "hacking" activity 99.9999999% of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    There are only 2 ways you can really get '****'.

1) Giving your info to someone else.

2) Trying to download/install some sort of cheat or **** programs for PWI. Anything offering you free gold, free coin, free anything is most likely a scam to get you to install a key-logger.

Any real 'hacker' wouldn't be interested in your PWI video game account. Someone who has the ability to **** your accounts would be far more interested in your bank account, paypal account, ebay account or other similar financial sites.

Also, there is a way to prevent people who have access to your account from stealing items... put in a bank password. It will also put on a gear lock, however stuff can still be stolen from you, just not as easily.

Until PW implements PK protections into the bank password system, someone can still log into your account, put you in PK mode, turn you red named, then kill you over and over until you drop equipped items that aren't bound. However, if they fixed this, account sharing, which is against TOS, would probably increase dramatically.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • shadydawg
    edited November 2010
    Options
    There are only 2 ways you can really get '****'.

1) Giving your info to someone else.

2) Trying to download/install some sort of cheat or **** programs for PWI. Anything offering you free gold, free coin, free anything is most likely a scam to get you to install a key-logger.

Any real 'hacker' wouldn't be interested in your PWI video game account. Someone who has the ability to **** your accounts would be far more interested in your bank account, paypal account, ebay account or other similar financial sites.

Also, there is a way to prevent people who have access to your account from stealing items... put in a bank password. It will also put on a gear lock, however stuff can still be stolen from you, just not as easily.

Until PW implements PK protections into the bank password system, someone can still log into your account, put you in PK mode, turn you red named, then kill you over and over until you drop equipped items that aren't bound. However, if they fixed this, account sharing, which is against TOS, would probably increase dramatically.
    ok here is my thing..what if you need to sell something to get something else an its bound to you
  • shadydawg
    edited November 2010
    Options
    shadydawg wrote: »
    ok here is my thing..what if you need to sell something to get something else an its bound to you

i understand all that my bro account was **** yesterday talking to him he never gave out his account info or tried downloading any cheats for the game
  • Meeeeowwwwww - Raging Tide
    Meeeeowwwwww - Raging Tide Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You can make it to where you need to put in your bank password to unlock your gears, so unable to take anything off your character unless you put in your bank account password to unlock them~
    Magic Banana!!!
    Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Meeeowwwwwww Kittens<3You
    WTFBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
    edited November 2010
    Options

You don't bind gear that you don't want to keep forever.

Bank Password = Gear Lock =/= bound gear.

Gear Lock just prevents anyone from un-equipping gear unless you have a password.
  • shadydawg
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You don't bind gear that you don't want to keep forever.

Bank Password = Gear Lock =/= bound gear.

Gear Lock just prevents anyone from un-equipping gear unless you have a password.

oh so if i put a bank password on all my gears will be lock to me even the set i have on me also?
    edited November 2010
    Options
    oh so if i put a bank password on all my gears will be lock to me even the set i have on me also?

If you put in a bank password removing your equipped gear will also have a password. If you wish to change your gear, you will need to put in the password once per session. If you wish to access your bank, you need to put in the password every time.
  • shadydawg
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you put in a bank password removing your equipped gear will also have a password. If you wish to change your gear, you will need to put in the password once per session. If you wish to access your bank, you need to put in the password every time.

oh ok i learned something new tonight..am with you then they need too fix the pking thing
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i understand all that my bro account was **** yesterday talking to him he never gave out his account info or tried downloading any cheats for the game
    Honestly, I find that highly unlikely. Unless he chose some super-common username and a really lame password (like "password"), the odds are much more likely that he either did what Michael_Dark OR he actually did something himself and didn't realize that he did it. The latter used to be fairly common when you could accidentally drop something, before they made it show you the warning messages asking if you really wanted to drop the item. Also, if there's anyone else in his house who plays, it's possible that they did it using keylogging or shoulder surfing.

If it's just one item or setting, then I'd say it's probably something he did himself, but if there are many items missing, then he probably gave out his account info somehow.

In any case, he should send in a ticket with all of the specifics to see what can be done about the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    hey all how is everyone doing..this is my first post in the forum an i hope i don''t offend anyone..i have been hearing alot about people account being **** an all their gears being stolen
    Here is a suggestion on it can GM's put something in the game that allows you tag mounts an other stuff ( like the collars the venos use to name their pet) an let it show the name of the person who owns the gears an make it password proteected just in case the owner decides to sell he/she can put in unlock code to remove his or her name from it to sell...
    i think this would be good thing in the game to where as you can track down who the hackers/thieves are in the game when they world chatting about selling something

Please respond an tell me what you think about itb:thanks

example

MANUFACTURED by

OWNED by
    PWI already tracks gear by ID#, which is why the principle behind your idea is rather obsolete. Each time you trade something, sell something, buy something, the server generates an ID associated with it. The main reason behind this is likely so in case someone ever figures out a way to dupe items/coins, usually by bug exploit, they can spot it right away. An added bonus is tracking where someone's items went when they got "****", which is a euphemism no less than 99% of the time for "I r shared my acct info with someone".
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    PWI already tracks gear by ID#, which is why the principle behind your idea is rather obsolete. Each time you trade something, sell something, buy something, the server generates an ID associated with it. The main reason behind this is likely so in case someone ever figures out a way to dupe items/coins, usually by bug exploit, they can spot it right away. An added bonus is tracking where someone's items went when they got "****", which is a euphemism no less than 99% of the time for "I r shared my acct info with someone".

Welllllllllll... every item on the server has to ID's on it, a GUID and a timestamp

When you trade/drop/sell/refine/chat/anything it is stored in the server logs (yes, everything you say is logged, be careful about what you say in game as it can come back to bite you in the ***)

When an item is 'duped' (the only known way to do it in any Perfect World version involves doing this, it DOES NOT work in PWI so don't even try it, no I did not personally verify that, others have and probably got banned for it) it just clones all of the data of an item caused by a 'mini-rollback' for one particular character, how do you induce this? You need 2 things, lag and speed, I know that sounds kind of counter productive but that is what you need

You need to deliberately force lag upon the client (a simple program made in any language can do this) and you also have to do a repetitive action over and over and over and over really really really fast

You will eventually get a messsage that says "Character currently in retreat state." (which also gets added to the log so it is incredibly easy to find anyone that did it) or something similar, you can see everything that is going on around you and talk in chat and see what others are doing, but you can't really do anything, and you stay like that for approximately 60 seconds, after that your character rubberbands back to wherever it was and everything about your character gets rolled back, the issue with that is if they managed to trade/drop anything during that period, it appears again on the character that gets rolled back thus creating a successful 'dupe'

Like I said though, Duping does not work in PWI, do not even try it

Also for the mods reading this, see above, DOES NOT WORK IN PWI, don't remove this on the terms it states how to **** as I never gave any specific steps, I just said what was involved in how it used to be able to be done (and can still be done, but only on version that are using the same server files private servers use and there aren't that many official ones that use that anymore)
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Another thing one can do is change one's password often. Even the login screen itself suggests this.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~