Holding Aggro with interval gears

boliaoah
boliaoah Posts: 1 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Barbarian
People are saying Barb can barely hold aggro from most DDs at high level, and there's no chance of holding aggro from anyone with statcked - interval gears. b:surrender

Can the Lv100 weapon Djinn's Waltz with unique add-on "Provoke: Increase your threat level" able to help in holding aggro against interval gears? b:question
Post edited by boliaoah on

Comments

• Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    not sure about that, but IMO if a DD can hold aggro and survive - im all for letting them tank. less repair bill for meb:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Fuzzy pretty sure most of us are gonna say the same thing....

If they want it, let em have it. Some do just fine, in which case me agree with Baalbak, less repairs for Fuzzy. Some can't **** it and die, let em learn the hard way then smile and take over again.

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Wouldn't help enough.

If someone stacks tons of -interval gears, they better be prepared to tank. If they take aggro and die they have no one to blame but themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Pint - Dreamweaver
    Pint - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well this is pretty simple answer, like other barbs have said... If they continue to push for aggro elt em have it go human form or something. If they drop fast, and some will take it back and do your thing.

In my opinion though I tihnk a barb can hold aggro from an interval bm/sin/archer. Problem is it takes a good skill rotation and bramle helps a lot. Now I'm only reffering to keeping it if they arent sparking or useing skills. If a full interval any class (DD) sparks its there pretty much lets be honest.

So yea it comes down to whether the DD wants aggro or not. All you can do is your best and try to work with your squad.

Pint
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    As to your question about the Provoke add-on, my guess is that it would not help at all really. Like any other active add-on, it will have a % chance to activate (just like zerk, gloom, etc.) When it does activate, it probably acts like you're throwing in an extra ream (it's probably less agro than that, but I'll talk about a best case scenario.) Even with that, the 5 aps dd is going to, if they lose agro at all, probably have it back before the boss even attacks again. In my experience, I don't feel like being able to toss an extra flesh ream 20% (or so) of the time would help any.

Like has already been said, if they want it, let them have it.
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    boliaoah wrote: »
    People are saying Barb can barely hold aggro from most DDs at high level, and there's no chance of holding aggro from anyone with statcked - interval gears. b:surrender

Can the Lv100 weapon Djinn's Waltz with unique add-on "Provoke: Increase your threat level" able to help in holding aggro against interval gears? b:question

That's a horrible aggro for a barb because provoke is like roar, it just resets aggro to you making you lose all of the aggro you've built up.
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    That's a horrible aggro for a barb because provoke is like roar, it just resets aggro to you making you lose all of the aggro you've built up.

Are you sure roar resets aggro and that you don't mean Alpha male?

Clerics need to learn how to avoid aggro and still heal.
    Barb needs to learn to take and hold aggro.
    Veno's need to watch aggro from their pets.

DDers need to learn to control their aggro. Its part of the class. If they have insane dmg, they better have insane defense, too, or control their aggro. Its not the tanks fault if a DDer is ripping aggro despite the barbs best efforts, and its not the clerics fault if they don't get the heal in time. Some times it requires the BM/sin to just say "I'm gonna take aggro" and warn people. If you are the barb, let them have aggro so the cleric can stack IH on them and you can DD so they don't have to tank as long, rather then doing the thing where everyone gets 1 IH before aggro changes so no one is stacked.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited October 2010

Yes, roar resets agro. As does alpha male.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited October 2010

Clerics need to learn how to avoid aggro and still heal.
    Barb needs to learn to take and hold aggro.
    Veno's need to watch aggro from their pets.

DDers need to learn to control their aggro. Its part of the class. If they have insane dmg, they better have insane defense, too, or control their aggro. Its not the tanks fault if a DDer is ripping aggro despite the barbs best efforts, and its not the clerics fault if they don't get the heal in time. Some times it requires the BM/sin to just say "I'm gonna take aggro" and warn people. If you are the barb, let them have aggro so the cleric can stack IH on them and you can DD so they don't have to tank as long, rather then doing the thing where everyone gets 1 IH before aggro changes so no one is stacked.

Sigh.

Roar sets/resets aggro to 1. FleshReam stacks aggro, like IH stacks heals. You use Roar to 1) grab aggro of a group in order to throw an AOE to hold them, 2) grab aggro of a mob/boss away from someone else to keep them from dying, 3)resetting aggro to 1 so a Herc can take over tanking.

If you're the BM who decides he needs to Tank, then don't be surprised when the barb can't do as much DD damage as you would. He's not built for that, you are.

You're in the Barb forum. We know how Barb skills work.

RedMenace

\barbs don't need AlphaMale
    \\more than enough ways to get everyone's attention already
    \\\unless you're not a barb, then you need all you can get
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    You're in the Barb forum. We know how Barb skills work.

Fuzzy agree with Redmenace for the most part... alot of us that post do indeed know how the skills work. However, sad as it is, me see more and more barbs that don't.

Too bad me not see them posting here to pick the brains of those of us who do. But alas, Fuzzy think all we can do is keep offering advice to those that do seek it out. They will end up being the barbs that grow strong and continue to do all our barb brothers proud.

As for the rest of them.... *sigh* b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Fuzzy agree with Redmenace for the most part... alot of us that post do indeed know how the skills work. However, sad as it is, me see more and more barbs that don't.

Too bad me not see them posting here to pick the brains of those of us who do. But alas, Fuzzy think all we can do is keep offering advice to those that do seek it out. They will end up being the barbs that grow strong and continue to do all our barb brothers proud.

As for the rest of them.... *sigh* b:surrender

Agreed. That one just struck me as Yet Again Another BM Lecturing Me About Barb Skills, and How BMs Are Always Better.

RedMenace

\yulk-poisoning, i guess
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein