The Cube run from hell

Solandri - Heavens Tear
Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
Have you ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go right? I've gotten to the point in Cube where only rooms 14 and 34 (the two PK rooms) and 47 (the final 100 sec room) trip me up. Normally I can breeze through to room 50 in 30 minutes restarting 0-2 times. Occasionally it takes 3 restarts, and rarely 4. Takes me about 15-25 dice tickets on average. I have a nice stack of pages of fate in my bank, and this has been the average for all those runs. I've implemented a no do-all policy after deciding it's cheaper (if a bit more time consuming) to just restart and use the money on more dice tickets instead.

Saturday morning immediately after the server reset, I started a Cube run which turned into the Cube run from hell. Once I passed 4 restarts, I knew this run was going to be "special" so I started writing it down:

1. Hit room 34, suicided.

2. Hit room 38 (Dragon Gate EX). Normally I can get through this no problem, but somehow this time I got stuck on the pillar just before the finish. When you're stuck in the corner like that, you can't spin the camera around to see past the pillar. I paused for a sec to decide if I had enough time to beat the clappy hands in the last circle, decided I was ok, ran out, right into a bug and died.

3. Hit room 47, died.

4. Hit room 27 (Try to Listen EX). Normally this is not a problem, but I got the config with no clear path through. I've only gotten that once before, ever. I had tried all possible paths and the only possibility was the diagonal path or no path. I got lazy and didn't properly check the last mob, assumed the diagonal path was safe, and died.

5. Hit room 44, got a bomb, then hit 47. Since I'd already died in here, I thought it over and decided to buy a bronze charm. The faction was going to try the GBA boss in 3-1 later on Saturday, so I figured the charm would be useful for that too. Got through 47, then rolled three 1s in a row. In 49, I mistook the bomb timer for the room timer. Got to room 50, and the bomb exploded literally just as I was clicking on the "disarm the bomb" option.

6. Hit room 24 (Consequences) which someone had set to 100. Decided to go to sleep and try again in the morning. It was set to 5 when I woke up and continued. Ended up in room 34, so suicided.

7. Hit room 14, suicided.

8. Hit room 14, suicided.

9. Hit room 46 (bully card room). I had used my last bully card a few restarts ago, so town portaled back to the start with 9 bully cards in hand.

10. Hit room 14, suicided.

11. Hit room 34, suicided.

12. Hit room 28 (Count the Apples EX). I knew the right answer but got careless and clicked as I was moving the mouse. Either the mouse stuttered or I didn't move it enough, and the click fell on the wrong choice.

At this point I got faction calls for BH and TT, so I left Cube, planning to come back on Sunday. When I continued on Sunday:

13. Hit room 47. Internet was lagging for 7-10 seconds every few minutes, and I died in a lag bubble.

14. Got to room 8, and died when I forgot I'd picked up a bomb in 44.

15. Hit room 14, suicided.

16. Hit room 34, suicided.

17. Finally got to room 50.

Totals for the run:
176 dice tickets use (including 25 from room 19, 10 from sundries pack)
10 golden boxes
3 platinum boxes
35 mysterious chips (and 5 direct passes)
6 robber cards used
3 bully cards used
Post edited by Solandri - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Ive had worse b:bye
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited September 2010
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    You could start using do-all cards for room 34, get those from tokens.

I typically try to kill someone in room 14 and do-all room 34.

Do-all cards can also be traded for bully cards, which is typically cheaper than what the Catshops in there sell.

I'd sell the boxes for compensation too. When I ran cube, which wasn't TOO long ago, I sold golden boxes for 200k and platinum boxes for 390k
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    You could start using do-all cards for room 34, get those from tokens.

I typically try to kill someone in room 14 and do-all room 34.

Do-all cards can also be traded for bully cards, which is typically cheaper than what the Catshops in there sell.

I'd sell the boxes for compensation if you're not in the mood to gamble. When I ran cube, which wasn't TOO long ago, I sold golden boxes for 200k and platinum boxes for 390k

I always open the boxes... Ive about broken even on what Ive spent on them but w/e
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Statistically boxes do break even. According to pwdatabase it's 10% for 1m with golden boxes, 2% for 5m with platinum boxes.

Which means you gain coins in the long run if you cat shop them.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Statistically boxes do break even. According to pwdatabase it's 10% for 1m with golden boxes, 2% for 5m with platinum boxes.

Which means you gain coins in the long run if you cat shop them.

Yeah but... I like that message in the chat window that says

Got 1 Ecstasy card
    or
    Got 1 Excitement Card

I don't care to much anyway, its only 100k, which is nothing anyway
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I used to get dragon gate EX like everytime I tried to do cube.

I got 3rd map a week ago and have needed room 38 for the past week.

I have yet to get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    I used to get dragon gate EX like everytime I tried to do cube.

I got 3rd map a week ago and have needed room 38 for the past week.

I have yet to get it.

Every single time I get dragon gate ex, as much as I know I can do it, I still get scared ****less of it
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    I've given up on hugging the walls or whatever, now a days I just bumrush down the middle.

Usually I make it too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    You should rethink your doall policy. Doalls are 30k each while that page at the end sells for 220k. I still restart from 14 but in 34 just use doalls if noones coming.

If you dont have the HP pool to do 47 legitimately you can always follow someone in after they enter 90s before you. The center mob only aggros you when you spawn near it. You can also quickly run into the corner and AD + Feral Concentration + Force Log.

In listen EX you might be taking the diagonal too shallow. The spacing of the mobs is farther apart vertically than horizontally so you should take the diagonal from like 3meters behind one mob to 3meters in front of the other one. Basically follow the path of the perpendicular bisector for the unsafe mobs you are walking between if you remember geometry.

I pretty much always run cube at a profit by selling the boxes / page and using the chips I get in there for dice tickets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Astypoo is my cube pal b:cute
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Astypoo is my cube pal b:cute

b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    You should rethink your doall policy. Doalls are 30k each while that page at the end sells for 220k. I still restart from 14 but in 34 just use doalls if noones coming.
    My reasoning was that do-alls cost 2.8 tokens each. Dice tickets can be made with with mysterious chips at a 2:1 ratio, and chips cost 0.9 tokens each. So dice tickets are 0.45 tokens each.

That means the 4 do-alls for room 34 costs you 11.2 tokens, which is 24.9 dice tickets.
    THe 8 do-alls for room 47 costs you 22.4 tokens, which is 49.8 dice tickets.

Normally, both are greater than the number of dice tickets I burn in an average Cube run. Of course this run from hell has increased my average since hitting level 90 by over 7 tickets a run.
    If you dont have the HP pool to do 47 legitimately you can always follow someone in after they enter 90s before you. The center mob only aggros you when you spawn near it. You can also quickly run into the corner and AD + Feral Concentration + Force Log.
    Yeah, I thought of that. It seems rather lame, but I may start doing it.
    I pretty much always run cube at a profit by selling the boxes / page and using the chips I get in there for dice tickets.
    If you discount the free tickets I got from room 19, I only used 151 tickets in this run.
    The 35 mysterious chips I got = 70 dice tickets

10 golden boxes represents ~1 mil profit
    3 plat boxes represents ~600k profit
    The one sundries pack I opened cost 200k (takes too damn long to sell these)
    Page of fate is about 220k
    Net gain was ~1.62 mil + 10 dice tickets

The bully and robber cards I store on a mule in Cube between runs, so they only represent about 10 tickets cost to obtain the 9 cards I used. The 10 tickets from the sundries pack pretty much paid for this.

So overall I burned a net 81 dice tickets, while making ~1.62 mil net. 81 dice tickets costs me 364.5k, so I still came out of this ~1.25 mil ahead. So no argument that it was worth doing. I was just exasperated over how much longer this run was than my typical runs.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010

In listen EX you might be taking the diagonal too shallow. The spacing of the mobs is farther apart vertically than horizontally so you should take the diagonal from like 3meters behind one mob to 3meters in front of the other one. Basically follow the path of the perpendicular bisector for the unsafe mobs you are walking between if you remember geometry.

Basically follow the path of the perpendicular bisector for the unsafe mobs you are walking between if you remember geometry.

That's the "basically" version?

My head hurts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    If you dont have the HP pool to do 47 legitimately you can always follow someone in after they enter 90s before you. The center mob only aggros you when you spawn near it. .

Maybe I am just unlucky but only twice when other people have entered as I have waited, have they not tried to pk me. :S So that might only work if you happen to get the room as someone else is already entering.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I always open the boxes... Ive about broken even on what Ive spent on them but w/e

I just opened one & got 1 mil :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Balthier - Dreamweaver
    Balthier - Dreamweaver Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I've given up on hugging the walls or whatever, now a days I just bumrush down the middle.

Usually I make it too.

Is there any other way? b:chuckle
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    That's the "basically" version?

My head hurts.

I made a picture a while ago explaining it..
    http://imgur.com/772SR.png

Green circle is the burning sound, red circle is death. You can see for the diagonal you don't want to go from one safe mob to the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Cube has been a jerk to me lately too. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ive been running cube as a daily quest for months now,

now i come to believe that the dice isnt random
    it follows a certain theme every time u go cube

days when u get all mystical messenger rooms in a steak and almost always dice 6 or 5, only a few low numbers to grab all of those rooms

or a "i want you to stay in cube for hours day", Bored room, choice room, back to bored, next bored, usually starts with Open Sesame :p

chest days...

Hurry-Up-Run: every bomb room and every kill-2-mobs-in-a-certain-time rooms and room 49 >_>

etc

im talking **** again, but BELIEVE MEH
    i like potato
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Someone conduct a research study on Cube room patterns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    ive been running cube as a daily quest for months now,

now i come to believe that the dice isnt random
    it follows a certain theme every time u go cube

days when u get all mystical messenger rooms in a steak and almost always dice 6 or 5, only a few low numbers to grab all of those rooms

or a "i want you to stay in cube for hours day", Bored room, choice room, back to bored, next bored, usually starts with Open Sesame :p

chest days...

Hurry-Up-Run: every bomb room and every kill-2-mobs-in-a-certain-time rooms and room 49 >_>

etc

im talking **** again, but BELIEVE MEH

According to tasks.data which has been taken apart and posted on pwdatabase, it is not based on a theme, it is entirely random, and some days its nicer then others because of random luck

And you more then likely are just remembering the outliers from all the runs you have done, and yes I have been stuck in bored rooms for over an hour before... it is not fun