Do you wizards hate hailstorm and pitfall...? why? O_O

Options
Yulk - Heavens Tear
Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Wizard
I have yet to see a wiz say much about hailstorm and freeze, these 2 skills are very unique IMHO
But I did hear that people say pitfall sucks

I have a LVL50 wizard with all skills up to date (every single one) and the only one I find useless is emberstorm (maybe it will be good for demon wizzies since you can control how much HP you want to spend while barbs cannot, but still not worth using IMHO -_-")

I have level 7 hailstorm (1/3 chance to freeze for 3.4 seconds) every time I level it, longer the freeze duration, its also a nice escape move when you took too many mobs
And level 7 pitfall (12% chance of freeze for 3 seconds) sure the chance is low, but it gets better as you level it.

I remembered chaining freeze 2 times in a row 6 seconds (you can chain freeze for 7 seconds when maxed) of freeze. Even in a duel against a barb around my LVL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
Post edited by Yulk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't hate them.
    I have both at lvl 3 or 4, enough to make about 80% of a gush damage with 50 mana.
    Pretty good deal if u ask me.

the control that comes with them is useless if you're not demon and unreliable even then.
    The devs tried to make something really nice with those skills, but it looks like they stopped somewhere in the middle of the road. If chances of freeze would have been around the 75% mark, even with halved damage those would have been awesome and valuable skills. Like they are now, they are kida' ****.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i have sage hailstorm, it does decent aoe damage.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Shevanel - Sanctuary
    Shevanel - Sanctuary Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I didn't think pitfalls chance to freeze increased as you leveled it. I could be wrong but I thought the "%" wasn't blue, meaning it doesn't change.

I like Hail, I rarely use it in PvP (Unless poking a few people at once) as I don't like to take chances with the freeze. I do use it when grinding and in Delta though. Freeze some of the mobs coming gives an extra 6 seconds before barb/me takes that damage.

Hail Lv 10 and Pitfall like lvl 5 I think. I think if the sage version was better, I'd level it, but for the DoT It's not too pants happy.
    Koiz - omfg my life is now complete
    Shevanel - haha oh?
    ~~~
    Koiz - i took this massive dump
    Koiz - while listening to im on a boat hahahah
    Shevanel - hahahahaha
    Shevanel - haha
    Shevanel - Oh wow

Certain levels of Boredom..
    ThaMessiah: I'd rather endlessly wack it till I shot a load that hits my ceiling than do a 3-2
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I rarely use pitfall.. but hailstorm is actually really nice imo. When someone is running and I can't sleep.. 1/3 of the time me + my party can catch up. Although I don't rely on it, the chances are good enough where you can spam it when someone is running and hope for it to proc. It's also useful against venos that are trying to revive a nix.. after the veno has revived the nix, to summon it they just stand still for several seconds. If you wait for the nix to be summoned, the veno will heal the nix before you can get a skill off... unless you start casting hailstorm on the veno while they are standing still, where if you time it right it will kill the nix the instant it spawns xD
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Anubisdrak - Sanctuary
    Anubisdrak - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I actually use both, I am Demon, and proud of it :D I have both demon versions of the skills. And I find that using both chained with demon stone rain, force of will and whisper, you can keep anything, that debuffs work on, away from you for an immense amount of time.

Most times if i something happens and i have agro to where no one can take it away from me, which is pretty much everytime i hit Dx, using force of will to get them away from you, then usng pitfall because of the low channel and cast time, coupled with a small slow effect and 33% chance to freeze, if the freeze hits i use either Stone Rain for the stun effect or undine strike, depending on the situation, so, if the freeze doesnt work you have that slow effect which helps just a smidge in getting off another skill, if it does work and you get the stun effect from stone rain, i'll use hailstorm since i have that extra time to cast it and for the 50% freeze effect chance, so once its out of stun, it still cant move or do anything, depending on how much time has passed, i'll use force of will to keep it away, hitting it with gush/pyro till it gets too close, in which case i use sleep skill,undine, force of will. Doesnt matter how hard you hit or how much hp it may have, you can pretty much repeat the entire thing till its dead.

But yeah, all in all, i find both skills useful, but then again im a demon wizard so of course id find them useful :P Not too sure on sage versions though, sage didnt appeal to my needs so i didnt care to look into it much :/

(wow i had no idea i had that much to say on this topic ._.)
    Wiz: Joins squad
    Wiz: Wiz is silent... <--code of honor kill quick and leave without saying a word.
    Wiz: Stays in back incase they pull aggro (better for mob to run towards you then to be next to you, gives squad time to pull aggro from you)
    Wiz: Wiz happens to pull aggro
    Wiz: Wiz stands ground
    Wiz: Wiz kills mob/ or is killed by mob
    Wiz: Honorable death is seen by squad

<likes that xD, im either the quiet one or the active avid talker ;D
  • Pure_Black - Harshlands
    Pure_Black - Harshlands Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have sage hailstorm but no sage pitfall yet

I love sage hailstorm because i can pretty much two shot mobs in FC if bm does Stun + DG, then i use hailstorm + Will of the phoenix.

I use pitfall at harpies to keep them from attack me ever. If it procs i can gush, pyro, FoW, gush, pyro SS and they are down without me taking a hit.

In world grinding i use pitfall as a finisher as it's pretty nice damage for low mana. Even tho in PvP it's very situational i did use pitfall couple of times to get those pesky kiters to stand still or even kill em off if they run away and are low on HP. With -20% channeling it goes off like almost instant lol.

I also use hailstorm if i grind in OVS. I lure like 50 mobs, run away with holy path -> hailstorm -> WoTP -> open zhen. by the time my charm is about to tick mobs are dead and i can pot to 100% hp
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hailstorm does nice dmg if you can use it after u HF.

b:chuckle

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hailstorm does nice dmg if you can use it after u HF.

b:chuckle

true.

in pk i dont like cause too slow and veno/bm/barb run enough fast or got skill for survive well that few sec and run away with antistun skill...

i use soemtimes in gv when i cant zhen cause must wait the cooldown
  • Zaelmith - Sanctuary
    Zaelmith - Sanctuary Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Since I got Hailstorm at lvl 10 I found myself using it quite often since it's the only aoe we have that doesn't require 2 sparks (excluding WoP-which u gotta be positioned right to use it and emberstorm). As for Pitfall, haven't leveled it yet but it seems a pretty good audition to the 'slowing arsenal' + the freeze if you're lucky.
    I didn't think pitfalls chance to freeze increased as you leveled it. I could be wrong but I thought the "%" wasn't blue, meaning it doesn't change

Yup it does, it gets to 15% at lvl 10. BTW demon version is pretty interesting it increases the freeze chance to 33% same as a normal Hailstorm. b:chuckle
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have a LVL50 wizard with all skills up to date (every single one) and the only one I find useless is emberstorm (maybe it will be good for demon wizzies since you can control how much HP you want to spend while barbs cannot, but still not worth using IMHO -_-")
    ?

You can control "how much HP you want" in normal Emberstorm too. Demon version just adds a 3 sec stun with a 50% chance to fail. Which, actually, makes it useful as an AOE stun. You cancel it as fast as you can, yes, because you only care about the stun, damage is kinda pathetic.

Hailstorm does suck though. I don't mean it's useless, I mean it's so much worse than psychic AOEs which are "normal" in my opinion. If we had another AOE without needing sparks, hailstorm would be almost useless. Right now the whole purpose of it is only because it's an AOE that doesn't use chi (phoenix doesn't count, that's line-of-sight and close range) and can freeze although unreliably (unless Demon).

It also sucks that it only gives 5 chi. b:sad
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2010
    Options
    why do ppl complain so much about chi?
    for PvE get a chi skill on genie if you're a wizard. I have all the chi I want/need.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear
    Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hailstorm is cool and has many uses.
    The doctor will see you now.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like hailstorm also pitfall or crow of flame. Sage/demon version is nice boost to damage. Is some1 doesn't like it doesn't have to use it.b:pleased Easy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gammaburst - Harshlands
    Gammaburst - Harshlands Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Pitfall is ok for water mobs but nothing special.

I like to use Hailstorm on groups of fire mobs. Build chi on loner mobs. Then use single spark + BIDS + Hailstrom on tight groups of 2- 4 mobs to get them down to about half HP. Gush one mob, distant shrink in the proper direction, then finish off remaining HP of mobs. If yo do it right, won't even tick your charm.
  • Bloop - Harshlands
    Bloop - Harshlands Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I love using Hailstorm in TW. Even though the chances are low and it's not very long, the paralyze is enough for someone else to catch up and throw in another stun on the cata barbs. I also love that it's not a stun so BMs don't have to sit and wait there till it's over.
    60 / 250.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hey hailstorm rocks

people in squads complain when u use phoenix lol
    and it gains chi for real aoes :3

sutra bids a group ? hail in to get the chi and lower hp with ~pyrogram damage

pve changed since demon pitfall/hail
    less shrinking.. mobs wait for you to finish them :P

--- overall wizards dont hate these skills
    spirit is just always rare on low lvls
    and these skills are not worth lvling until u got the others...
    i like potato
  • azukaya
    azukaya Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have a lv50 wizard, I am totally agree with you. All the skills are useful, specially if they are in the max level available. For example, I have crownflame and pitfall in the max level available, and they are great against mobs while its remaining life is above 15000, when they have less than 15000 of life is better use other skills. But thats the case of bosses.
  • PrettySammy - Sanctuary
    PrettySammy - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have both sage hailstorm and sage pitfall and love them both, I use them in both pve and pvp.

Especially hailstorm as it is good for mass aoe combo's such as Mountain seize, Hailstorm, Black Ice Dragon, will of the Phoenix, emberstorm, not to mention a bit extra damage for those frozen.

Pitfall is also pretty useful at sage level for 20% freeze and i often lob this onto cata barbs to annoy them in between cooldowns, its a fast cast too so bonus there.

Can't imagine anyone really disliking either of these skills, they are really useful if used correctly.

Demon version are even better tho with 50% freeze chance on hailstorm and 33% on pitfall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't need no pdef, cos I got ... BOOM HEADSHOT !
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Have them all, just use them to poke people :-D
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Have them all, just use them to poke people :-D

b:surrender and then u crit and they die >_<
    i like potato
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I poke ppl with my barehand b:cry
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I got Hail storm G 10 now but im still disappointed about the low area covered by the skill. It is really hard to hit a group of mobs unless they stand really close to eachother. The skill description says "range" will rise with higher lvl but im not sure wheather the area or the cast range is meant. Dmgwise hailstorm = gush

I hardly use it in PvE grinding there i go with
    Glacial Snare
    Sandstorm
    + attacks depending on element of the mob

i never used crown of flame or pitfall so far because the dmg from direct hits finishes the mobs off faster than counting on an Overtime attack

greetz oben0wne
  • Laylor - Heavens Tear
    Laylor - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually, if no-one has ever noticed, Pitfall and Crown of flames don't do only Damage over time, but also base magical damage when you hit.
    Just to let you all know, I won lots of time in PvP thanks to those.
    Channel is almost istant, and you do istant base damage (which shoul be pretty high anyway).
    Was fun till it lasted.
    see ya guys
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually, if no-one has ever noticed, Pitfall and Crown of flames don't do only Damage over time, but also base magical damage when you hit.
    Just to let you all know, I won lots of time in PvP thanks to those.
    Channel is almost istant, and you do istant base damage (which shoul be pretty high anyway).

OMG captain obvious to the rescue.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    To be fair, I don't think it is that "obvious" to many people, especially at lower levels when your magic attack-to-DoT ratio is pretty low.
  • Kylin_bank - Harshlands
    Kylin_bank - Harshlands Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    r0fl to the guy who said many ppl dont know that dot's do base dmg
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    To be fair, I don't think it is that "obvious" to many people, especially at lower levels when your magic attack-to-DoT ratio is pretty low.

i dont think its a question of the lvl here since higher base dmg also provides the normal hitting skills with a dmg boost so the initial dmg from the DoT attack is nice but still will remain at a fairly low lvl compared to a normal attack skill. The reason why i dont like DoT as wiz is that even if a DoT overall might make more dmg than a normal attack the mob still has to be alive for the time of the DoT. As wizard i prefer to hit hard and kill quick and i doubt a mob stays alive for 15s

greetz oben0wne
  • Nokova - Sanctuary
    Nokova - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I love all spells and use them equally but a ? is "how wide is AOE on the Hailstorm?". I want to be able to tell if i aggro a mob next to my target or not (get more than 2 mobs of your level on your tail your toast), The comment "Higher Level gives wider range" is not really helpful.
    I wish i knew many m 8 12 or less.
    As for a pitfall i use it when earth spells are needed on <water> mobs, but is good to have constant slow down on mobs too.
    Anyway most used spell for me would be "Will of the Phoenix", but do i hate when mobs in BH do not get knocked back.
  • Laylor - Heavens Tear
    Laylor - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    OMG captain obvious to the rescue.

yeah, insult me how much you want instead of arguin' bout it, great show of maturity, hope you feel better after it.
    Still, there are some wizards and some ppls that don't know it does basic damage when hit,
    and mine was just a personal opinion, was suggesting to use in pvp sometimes.
    Was fun till it lasted.
    see ya guys
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yeah, insult me how much you want instead of arguin' bout it, great show of maturity, hope you feel better after it.
    Still, there are some wizards and some ppls that don't know it does basic damage when hit,
    and mine was just a personal opinion, was suggesting to use in pvp sometimes.

i think they dont really pk or reached a high lv b:surrender