Server Mistake?

Glowe - Lost City
Glowe - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Arigora Colosseum
I'm not personally a big fan of PvP but I chose it because a friend made a character on it. I also don't plan on getting a Nix anytime soon.

As you can see I chose Lost City but after reading a few threads I am pondering on whether to change to a PvE server as I don't want to be doing quests and bam! out of nowhere some level 80 Wizard thinks it's fun to just knock me dead.

The problem is though is that I've spent quite a lot of time on Lost City and especially on my character 'Glowe' so I don't particularly want to just reroll a character for the 7th timeb:surrender.

So my question is, would it be a good idea to switch and go on without fear of Merlin the Wizard or should I switch to a PvE environment?
Post edited by Glowe - Lost City on

Comments

• Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I don't even understand the fear of being PKed, to be honest. I don't lose EXP. The only thing that could happen is I have like a 1% chance of dropping an item. 77 levels in I've probably dropped about 5 times, and all five times I dropped small amounts of manufacturing mats; usually apothecary herbs.

Heck, sometimes I get PKed and I'm happy. I've only got the default wings and if I'm killed in the middle of nowhere, I get a free teleport to town. Thanks PKers. God bless you all.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    So my question is, would it be a good idea to switch and go on without fear of Merlin the Wizard or should I switch to PvE to an environment?

No. Of course you're going to be killed on a PvP server. The higher you get the less frequent it will happen, and if you end up liking and sticking around it will be something that you'll be able to experience when all else fails.

Honestly, part of the fun of a PvP server at a lower level was having to avoid the pkers when you go to Heaven's Tear or Secret Passage (which PK is banned now).

When you're killing 60 of each mob, the adrenaline rush can be fun... and sometimes if someone tries to attack you, you might actually win if you decide to fight back.

Sure it can be frustrating and **** you off, but as has been said if you don't fight back you won't drop any inventory items and if you die you don't lose exp.

LC also seems to be getting a nice influx of new players too... a lot more 1st time players running around blue name in the starter cities. The last few times I've looked I've actually been a bit impressed.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I don't even understand the fear of being PKed, to be honest. I don't lose EXP. The only thing that could happen is I have like a 1% chance of dropping an item. 77 levels in I've probably dropped about 5 times, and all five times I dropped small amounts of manufacturing mats; usually apothecary herbs.

Heck, sometimes I get PKed and I'm happy. I've only got the default wings and if I'm killed in the middle of nowhere, I get a free teleport to town. Thanks PKers. God bless you all.

He missed the point, 44/45 mobs killed. As soon as you are about to kill you 45th mob someone pks you and your get your "free" trip to town. Great, fine free trip.. now you have to make your way back, kill the 45th mob, and fly back since Mr.Freetrip took off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No. Of course you're going to be killed on a PvP server. The higher you get the less frequent it will happen, and if you end up liking and sticking around it will be something that you'll be able to experience when all else fails.

Honestly, part of the fun of a PvP server at a lower level was having to avoid the pkers when you go to Heaven's Tear or Secret Passage (which PK is banned now).

When you're killing 60 of each mob, the adrenaline rush can be fun... and sometimes if someone tries to attack you, you might actually win if you decide to fight back.

Sure it can be frustrating and **** you off, but as has been said if you don't fight back you won't drop any inventory items and if you die you don't lose exp.

LC also seems to be getting a nice influx of new players too... a lot more 1st time players running around blue name in the starter cities. The last few times I've looked I've actually been a bit impressed.

You don't lose exp when you die in pk? Omg I didnt know that seriously. (I'm not being sarcastic.)b:sad
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    You don't lose exp when you die in pk? Omg I didnt know that seriously. (I'm not being sarcastic.)b:sad

.....O_o.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    Majesta - Dreamweaver Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2010

In pvp servers you are forced into pk mode as you prolly know by now Glowe. But what Michael said can be easily done on a PvE server too. I myself chose a PvE server for this reason. So I could choose for myself if I wanted to go pvp and if I didnt like it I could always switch back to blue name again.

The first time I went pk mode was an adrenaline rush lol xD I've pk-ed on lots of other games before, but going in pk mode the first time in this game was so much fun. It brings a whole new level to your gameplay: You always have to be on your guard for any green dot on your map: it could be a target b:pleased So yes, I like pk very much on a PvE server. It may not be as 'hard-core' as on a PvP server, but still you can get your action when you want to.

b:victory
    When I got the meaning of melee mixed up:
    'Maj.. Melee ffs.. means I'm punching you in the face 1 foot away!'
    >.<
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    .....O_o.....

b:shocked The look..I'm getting the feeling of WTF or omg you're weird? b:cry
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I'll advise you as someone who had your mentality at the start. I did not want my quests interrupted, I wanted to level in relative peace and not worry about immaturity or some of the rumoured things from PvP servers.

However, now I can look back differently. If you stick with this game long enough, you will get to a point where you are bored with the PvE content. Almost guaranteed. At this point, people either a]quit, or b]start experimenting with PK mode.

In a PvE server you can turn this on and off. Sounds great, right? But finding battles is hard. Most people who PvP are near endgame and happy with their highly refined gear. There are lower levels who PK but they are so hard to find you can rarely get a decent battle. There is nothing like a true PvP server to help cure endgame boredom.

Now, if you're just looking to be a casual player who may not/probably won't stick around until 80-90+, or you absolutely hate PKing and would never try at all, then PvE server sounds perfect for you.

But believe the PvPers when they say the killing will get far less as you get higher in level (you won't get picked on at all), and it's pretty easy now to level up. I know it seems like a long time to get to you level, but if you have to reroll I promise it will go much faster.
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I'm not personally a big fan of PvP but I chose it because a friend made a character on it. I also don't plan on getting a Nix anytime soon.

As you can see I chose Lost City but after reading a few threads I am pondering on whether to change to a PvE server as I don't want to be doing quests and bam! out of nowhere some level 80 Wizard thinks it's fun to just knock me dead.

The problem is though is that I've spent quite a lot of time on Lost City and especially on my character 'Glowe' so I don't particularly want to just reroll a character for the 7th timeb:surrender.

So my question is, would it be a good idea to switch and go on without fear of Merlin the Wizard or should I switch to a PvE environment?

Stick with it. Trust me. When you're high enough level, you'll wish that you were in a PvP server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ^This.
    Nvmd, you can't "^This" when you start on the second page >.<. What RoidAbuse said.

But if you absolutely hate PvP and wants no part of it now or ever, then yeah, PvE server will be better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Roid has it right, my server is so boring PvP wise >.< I wanna kill random people when I fly around, not just hang around at OT all day! My BM and Cleric want victims RAWR!
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Roid has it right, my server is so boring PvP wise >.< I wanna kill random people when I fly around, not just hang around at OT all day! My BM and Cleric want victims RAWR!

^this^

*hides on his assassin on lost city* b:avoid
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ^this^

*hides on his assassin on lost city* b:avoid

Level that b.itch up already. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Up to you, Re-roll to a PVE server, but don't rush to LVL though, a lot of bored players wish to kill people instead of going through the whole story of the game.

I'm not a fan of PVP either, therefor I careless about duels or PKing. If I were you, I'd re-roll to a PVE server, being a veno isn't hard either. You can join Dreamweaver, arch, sanctuary, or our server HT :)

When I want to PVP, I'd be looking for fighter mmos or fps, pvp on an mmorpg is really stupid and pointless. Its all about money when it comes to PVP, not the real skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Most leveling past 70+ are done inside instances now anyway, so pve or pvp does not matter since you're never really out of sz.

Also the amount of rpk is extremely exaggerated. My last 2 chars i got to 60 grinding and doing lowbie quests i think i got pked by some random higher lvl like once or twice.

On a pve server it seems you automatically invite people to attack if you're in pk mode, like you're asking for open pvp if you switch it on lol. On a pvp sever its different since everyone can be attacked, i mean it would be total mayhem if it worked same there since everyone would attack everyone.

So there is kinda rules and order on a pvp server. Random people normally only attack you if you're red name or if you pissed them of for some reason. Not that many factions are open rpk and not that many players fly around for huge killing sprees. Majority of players are in guild that have strict rules who they can attack - and grinding lowbies are not included on the free to kill list.

I think you will get BAMMED by a lvl 80 wizard faster on a pve server if u accidentally turn on pk mode.

But you will most likely get pked maybe 2-5 times while leveling, its no big deal really.Just annoying to fly back.
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Maybe switch to HL, we're even cuddlier than Dreamweaver, despite being a PvP server. The only PKing here is around west gate (where only blue-names have quests) and people farming lowbies near Hidden Orchid. Once you get past those spots, there's almost 0% chance of getting PKed unless you're passed by someone headed for BH. There are so many people who've been reported for RPKing that people have limited it to a few areas where no one will be killed unless they're up for it.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If I come to HL do I get cookies Qingzi?
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No, but KOS'ed by me is just as good. b:cute
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Zanryu, you can haz cheezeburger instead. And Okeano :O, Why am I not KOS by you?
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    why would anyone rpk? just create a faction and place the entire server on KoS.
  • Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Stick with it for sure.
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL