Weapon mastery

Solandri - Heavens Tear
Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
Edit: Appears to be a display glitch. See followup post below.

Posting this here since I hear most of the number gurus hang out here. I'm trying to figure out the increase to my veno's p.atk after getting Sage melee mastery. It went up a lot more than I expected. Supposedly, the formula for p.atk is:

(1 + str/150 + mastery + spark) * (equip attack + weapon attack)

I wrote down my veno's p.atk in fox form immediately before and after training Sage melee mastery. Level 10 melee mastery is supposed to give a 120% boost to p.atk (mastery = 1.2). Sage melee mastery is supposed to give a 200% boost (mastery = 2.0). Here are the p.atk numbers I got:

Level 10: 3111-3878 (avg 3494.5)
Sage: 4428-5520 (avg 4974)

This is a 42.3% increase. My veno's str was 237, so I was expecting a
(1 + 237/150 + 2.0) / (1 + 237/150 + 1.2) = 1.2116 = 21.2% increase

pwcalc agrees with this theoretical calc. Here's my build with level 10 melee mastery and Sage melee mastery. The numbers with level 10 mastery differ slightly from what I saw in-game, but they're close. pwcalc predicts a 20.2% increase for Sage melee mastery.

I'm not complaining. This is a pleasant surprise, although it screws up some of my plans since I was already stealing aggro from my herc unless I took off one might ring. But I'm trying to understand exactly what's going on here and why the in-game result differs so much from what the formula predicts. (And yes I'm absolutely sure about the numbers I wrote down. I've been trying to increase my DPS for City of Abominations so I'm very familiar with my level 10 p.atk numbers. And I quadruple checked the Sage numbers after I leveled it.
Post edited by Solandri - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Apparently sage melee mastery gives 280% weapon damage and not 200%.

Skill description error or bugged skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I logged in again to double-check this. It appears to be a display glitch. My p.atk is now showing up as 3769-4699 (4234 avg), which is the correct 21.2% increase.

Thinking back to what I saw, I think what happened is that when I learned the Sage melee mastery skill, the character display incorrectly applied the bonus to my human form p.atk. Then when I went into fox form, it applied the bonus again on top of that. 21.16% + 21.16% = 42.3%. Logging out and logging in seems to have fixed it.

I am now curious if it was just a display glitch or if I could've had a super-powerful fox veno if I had never logged out....
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Let me guess: you posted this in the Archer forum because you know the biggest math geeks regularly hang out here?

Because other than that, a mastery on a Venomancer has nothing to do with Archers.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Let me guess: you posted this in the Archer forum because you know the biggest math geeks regularly hang out here?

Because other than that, a mastery on a Venomancer has nothing to do with Archers.

He said why he was posting it here in the first sentence of his post....

<_< did you not get that far?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    He said why he was posting it here in the first sentence of his post....

<_< did you not get that far?

Oh, I read the post in detail a while ago. Posted today. Resulting in remembering the point of the topic, not the exact details.

And hey, I study math, I have nothing against numbers.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I read the post in detail a while ago. Posted today. Resulting in remembering the point of the topic, not the exact details.

And hey, I study math, I have nothing against numbers.

Don't lie! You went to start reading but saw all those appealing numbers and sexy equations and couldn't resist. b:dirty
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Don't lie! You went to start reading but saw all those appealing numbers and sexy equations and couldn't resist. b:dirty

Could be? Freud sure would say that.