Armor: Dex vs. Physical Resist

Seraphe - Dreamweaver
Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Archer
Hello I was wondering if I could get the community's help on a question.

Nearly all my armor has some +Dexterity on it but I am told that I will need to start stacking Physical Resistance but this is from a non archer.

So my question is should I start collect gear with +Phys Resist bonuses on them & if so do they take priority over Dexterity gear? And about how much Physical Resist should I have at about 69-70?

Thank you in advance. ^^

EDIT: Thought I should add this is for PvE Dungeons & I am a Pure build. :D
Post edited by Seraphe - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well I had those questions myself although I am pretty low. Perhaps you could try it out in PVE or PVP and see which combination is better for your gameplay.

Since I am only PVEing at the moment, I wouldnt know much but I prefer using the extra phy resists for increasing survivability to escape when a mob gets close and I am low on HP. However, I have not got any +dex equips which would increase your damage and perhaps the target might not even get close to you in which case the extra phy resist is pretty much useless.

So depending on your situation, choose which one is better suited to you or have both and keep switching based on the situation if you can.
  • Balint - Dreamweaver
    Balint - Dreamweaver Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As an archer (or any class for that matter really), You should try to get equipment with plus vit/HP. You should already have all the points you need from any build you're going for, so more survivability is good.

But lets say you have 218 dex... trying to get something with +2 or more dex for that extra crit rate would be a good idea as well for an archer.

Edit:
    but this is from a non archer.

Just a little reminder, just because someone of a different class says something, doesn't mean they haven't played as your class. Just because my avatar is a barb, doesn't mean I can't have a character for each class... it's just the one I play the most.
  • Judor - Dreamweaver
    Judor - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    So, what your saying is - it is best to go for +HP gems and +VIT armor. (Unless you need a few points for an extra crit %?)
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hello I was wondering if I could get the community's help on a question.

Nearly all my armor has some +Dexterity on it but I am told that I will need to start stacking Physical Resistance but this is from a non archer.

So my question is should I start collect gear with +Phys Resist bonuses on them & if so do they take priority over Dexterity gear? And about how much Physical Resist should I have at about 69-70?

Thank you in advance. ^^

EDIT: Thought I should add this is for PvE Dungeons & I am a Pure build. :D

Personally, I tend to go for multiple resistances. Or well, to be more exact, I want my gear to have bonuses to all five resistances and, usually, some more. As for dex, I get maybe 20 dex total from all of my items.

Here's the stats window of my now lvl 70 Pure Dex Archer. As you can see, my Pdef is only a small bit behind my elemental resistances. As for sharding, I got a total of 8 Average Citrines in my gear for a total of +200 life. I still have at least 3 sockets that I could add stuff into.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Seraphe - Dreamweaver
    Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Just a little reminder, just because someone of a different class says something, doesn't mean they haven't played as your class. Just because my avatar is a barb, doesn't mean I can't have a character for each class... it's just the one I play the most.

Oh I know and I wasn't suggesting their opinion was void. Just wanted to make sure the information was accurate.
  • Balint - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    So, what your saying is - it is best to go for +HP gems and +VIT armor. (Unless you need a few points for an extra crit %?)

Pretty much.
    I mean think about it, you already do massive damage.
    If you pull aggro off of the tank in a dungeon, you don't want to risk dying do you?
    Let's say you have around 1800 base HP. It's very possible between citrine gems and +vit add ons to have about an extra 1000 hp (i've seen pure archers around my level with like 3k+ HP, unbuffed, which is unusual for that level.), and that becomes even MORE HP with the barb buff.
    So with all this HP and being a pure build, you've got all you could ever need - high damage and high survivability.

And this doesn't just help in PvE obviously. Archers are annoying enough in PvP. To have all that HP would make everyone else's life even worse >.>
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    If you PvE, +Dex. For normal grinding it means you kill faster so the monsters don't get near you and for bosses, you sould either learn to control your damage output (which all archers need to know anyway) or have a good tank so you don't steal aggro that easily.

For PvP, +Dex. You get more damage that way (and an archer's best defense is their offense) and you can shard/refine to get HP/p.def
  • Balint - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    If you PvE, +Dex. For normal grinding it means you kill faster so the monsters don't get near you

With a pure dex build, they don't get to you anyway.
    and for bosses, you sould either learn to control your damage output (which all archers need to know anyway) or have a good tank so you don't steal aggro that easily.

I don't lose aggro on bosses, but on the way to bosses in dungeons, there are always archers/wizards who feel the need to attack what I'm not attacking, and I have to wind up trying to control aggro on 3 mobs at the same time. This usually doesn't end well.
    For PvP, +Dex. You get more damage that way (and an archer's best defense is their offense) and you can shard/refine to get HP/p.def

Overall, the amount of damage you might get from a couple of +dex equipment isn't a lot compared to the survivability you could have of +vit and HP. Like I said, pure dex does enough damage already. Doing a little extra damage to a barb with all the HP they have isn't going to save you when they're taking chunks of your HP off because you don't have enough HP to take a couple of hits (people tell me that the tank build isn't a good PvP build... my ****. I'm good at it simply because I'm so hard to kill). You have to remember that all damage is reduced by like 75% in pvp, so an extra 1000+ hp might not help as much in pve when an elite mob is hitting like 1000+ damage, but it helps A LOT in pvp, no matter what class you are.

My archer is a pure dex build, and he does crazy damage already (and he has crappy armor... I don't really have any extra anything from it). The only thing I could ask for is higher survivability, so I wouldn't have to worry about being defeated easily in unexpected situations or PvP.

Also, - Zhenning/RB and **** like that. When you're a wizard or archer, and you're standing there spamming your AOE... do you want HP or damage when being attacked by all those mobs? If you're a pure build, and you focus on adding Dex (or magic for a wizard), meaning you have no extra HP... you're going to drop before the BB can restore your HP or the barb/bm can take aggro off of you. That little extra damage you do wont help you.

As for refining... you can get a lot more HP without refines, and it's much cheaper. None of my equipment is refined, and it gives me about 1400 more hp. It's all +vit, +HP, and citrines. Now I know as a barb, I get more hp per vit point, but any class can still get a lot of HP like this.
  • Illyana - Dreamweaver
    Illyana - Dreamweaver Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As an archer, dex is your best friend because it makes you hit like a mack truck. You kill mobs faster (PvE) and you kill players faster (PvP). It is your primary stat and should take precedence over every other stat.

That being said, re: the substats on armor, there are four types of equipment builds (based on shardage and + modifiers from equips)

PDef: Suitable for those who want to deal with physical mobs/barbs/BMs at close range. This is not a good choice IMO since you'll be doing reduced dmg if people are this close anyway. (Remember, OFFENSE is your primary defense!)

Evasion: You cannot evade magic, but you can evade skills. There is nothing more amusing than keeping your barrage of arrows up during TW and teams of barbs/BMs try to stun and miss you. Near endgame, most barbs and bms worth their salt will have +% modifiers to their accuracy which makes this build less feasible. Uncommon build.

MDef: When dealing with magic types, more often not, when two squishies go up against each other, the victor is most always the one who hits first. With that being said, arcane/robe users die quickly enough and the MDEF strategy doesn't make much sense. Uncommon build.

HP: The "best" catch-all build. This allows you to take a beating from any class regardless of what kind of damage they're doing to you. It also benefits the most from the barb buff (which gives a % based boost to your max HP). This is the most common (and best) build.
    5.0 "Pure" 8jun Sage Clawrcher of Dreamweaver
  • Nelanther - Lost City
    Nelanther - Lost City Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I prefer all equipment to help physical attack and then use refines and shards for HP and pdef.

Every time I'm figuring out what to get I always ask myself, "how much physical attack can I get out of this?"

You can always add defense to any piece of equipment but you cant add physical attack.

So just refine and shard for hp.

If putting your gear on causes your charm to tick, you are doing well.