An article i thought was interesting

Aoe - Heavens Tear
Aoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
It's hard for me to understand today's gaming genre. Everyone has to have everything right now, and they can't consider the many things take time and effort. I grow up in a slow paced life with home cooking, like jams from scratch, home made butter etc. My parents always encouraged us children to take our time and to wait patiently all the more better things will be in the end. So when i see today's society, i wonder why people are less patient and complain so much. I thought this article would be a good read. I'd like to say too i do not think complaining is a bad thing all of us do it. However when it comes with impatience and low tolerance the constant complaining to get ones way starts to become irritating i think for a lot of people. So i posted this article to help me better relate and tolerate the new gaming genre. I thought it would be a good read for everyone. Please if you'd like to add your perception or input feel free, but please refrain from trolling and flaming and keep an open mind.

3 Timeless Thoughts on Patience

By Henrik Edberg
"God bestows upon one man genius without patience and upon another man patience without genius. The relative achievements of the two are often surprising."
Walter C. Klein

One of the most helpful qualities a person can have if s/he wants to grow is to be patient. With patience and persistence you can overcome pretty much anything.

But why is it hard to be patient? And how can patience help you out practically in life?

Here are 3 timeless thoughts that may give some answers to such questions.

1. Social programming can stand in the way.

"How can a society that exists on instant mashed potatoes, packaged cake mixes, frozen dinners, and instant cameras teach patience to its young?"
Paul Sweeney

Everything is moving fast in today's society. Instant gratification is default setting in many minds.

I'm not saying this to rail against today's society. I'm just saying it to give at least a partial explanation why patience is hard to understand and use to your advantage.

Social programming doesn't pay much attention to patience. It wants you to do more right now instead. And after a few years here you may want to have more things right now. And the thought of delaying gratification may seem a bit... weird.

2. With patience you'll get it.

"He that can have patience, can have what he will"
Benjamin Franklin

This may not be such a popular thought. People may not want to hear about it.

Still it's what every successful person has had. They chipped away. Practiced day in and day out.

It often looks like they have some massive talent when they become successful. That might be the case. But people may not see all the years of hard work that came before that big break. Or they don't want to see it and instead rationalize it as "huge talent". That way they don't have to think about the fact that they also have the option of putting in all that work. And that they that way could perhaps someday even outdo the dreams they have right now.

It's easier to just put it down as huge talent. And keep dreaming about quick fixes and magic pills.

3. Don't give up yet.

"Patience is necessary, and one cannot reap immediately where one has sown."
Soren Kierkegaard

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
Albert Einstein

Since society tells us to look for quick fixes it's easy to make the mistake of giving up to soon. After you have failed perhaps 1-5 times. That's the "normal" thing to do. But what could have happened if someone just kept going after that? And for each failure learned more and more about what works?

I think people often make a mistake of giving up too early. Your mind probably has a reasonable timeframe for success. This might not correspond to a realistic timeframe though.

It's useful to take a break from advertised perspectives and let more realistic perspectives seep into your mind. Learn from people who have gone where you want to go. Talk to them. Read what they have to say in books or online. This will not give complete plan but a clearer perspective of what is needed to achieve what you want.

Now, that's not to say that you should never quit. But it can be helpful to keep going on your current path for a while longer.

And that's not to say that you should do the same thing over and over in exactly the same manner. It's better to do and get an experience. Take the lessons you can learn from that real life experience. And then adjust how you do things as you try again.
Post edited by Aoe - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    I wanted to post what i thought separate from the article. I think for today society everything is so fast paced. From food, to customer service that we teach our children that everything must come now and they grow up with very little patience and understanding. I also think the later part of the article is true as well because we don't get quick responses or things are delayed over time we start to give up on the fact that anything will be fixed at all. I think patience is a wonderful quality for everyone to exercise. Not for others but even for yourself, there is less stress and you are able to relax and wait. Even when things are frustrating.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Patience is a luxury we dont have much in this age. Thats why everything has has extra time and patience put into making it is usually expensive >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    moving this to the off topic section, left a redirect in general as well. Very interesting
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Time is very short for man, that is something i understand completely. However what's strange to me is life expectancy was so short back then yet people had greater patience than today where life expectancy has gone significantly up, but patience horrendously down.

Although i understand time is of the essence, i think understanding realistically how that time is used is where patience needs to be exercised. For example on here someone wanted a rare pet, however they don't have the money to buy it. So frustration sets in because they want it now, but with a little time and effort they could achieve that goal. Many times though you see people give up half way because they feel it takes to long. However there are some people who stuck it out and months later have a rare pet.

Another example is the glitches in the games. People want customer support now, banning now, however realistically they aren't viewing how much time it may actually take to accomplish these things. It's something we have to ask ourselves where is our patience. If we want things fixed properly, then that must take some time or it might get messed up even worse.

I also noticed that those who don't exercise patience and want things now, end up spending lots more in cash than those who do.
  • Dalamaar - Heavens Tear
    Dalamaar - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    PWI is doing it's part to help teach patience.. world quest anyone?
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, I think the main problem is that society kinda puts the idea into people you "have" to have such and such or you fail. And it pressures them and they want it as soon as possible.

Take the game as an example. A low level player is frequently referred to as a "n00b". Anything they achieve is disregarded. You reach level 20? "So what, lv20 is easy, tell me when u hit 90, n00b." You kill a boss? "So what, that's an easy n00b boss". You aren't wanted in larger factions and respected players don't want to know you. No one at all is interested in enjoying the lv1-30's with you, because they're all demon-obsessed with reaching lv90.

Training eso's, cs, Zen parties, lack of squading and partaking in any sort of activity that does not provide reward prove this point.
    Level on no esos? You reach high level a little later, but as an experienced player, extremely rich from drops. Things like taking a full squad of on-levels to take an entire fb may seem pointless as it's no-profit, but could be extremely fun and satisfying and a nice social experience? Well, that is, if only you didn't get flamed for it by higher levels for being a n00b doing something for no profit -.-

Higher level players get respect and admiration and look down on those lower, or just ignore them and society pushes you to be the same. But most of those high levels are bored or have little to do, or eventually quit.

I think most people are too easily influenced by others =/ A lot of them have simply forgot to try playing the game for fun.

My gf and I started new characters together the last day. We plan to only play those chars when we're both on and take on every single quest and grind and level together. Slow and unprofitable? Of course. Fun? Definitely.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I used to be one of those guys who powered through games. I capped 3 characters in another game before realizing that rushing detracts from the game experience. Now I just go through the quests little by little, maybe grinding if I feel like it. At times I think I forgot that the game was meant to be enjoyed as opposed to conquered.
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Dark Seph i agree with you about that one. The pressure from society to be the best and most talented, or to be the richest has everyone blind sighted from reality. All those at the top started off as at the bottom first. So now not only do you want to be high level but you want it now. Many times those who can't afford cs items will quit to because they can't have it like the others.

^ ^ I'm actually a slow leveler. I know that seems a bit silly to others but i am able to do both sides of the skill tree. I support all my gear with good stones and nice sockets. I love crafting and my cleric is awfully lucky at that so she gest two and threes star stuff all the time. I have lots of outfits and most of the rare pets, already half way to my budda baby (hercules). I'm slowly doing the dragon quest too so i can get my princess pony. I like this game a lot and like to enjoy the areas so i don't want to level fast and feel i missed something. I meet lots of people too. So my pwi experience is very fun. Actually the slower you do this game the more fun you actually have.
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    I used to be one of those guys who powered through games. I capped 3 characters in another game before realizing that rushing detracts from the game experience. Now I just go through the quests little by little, maybe grinding if I feel like it. At times I think I forgot that the game was meant to be enjoyed as opposed to conquered.

O.O i can't even do one. ^ ^ lol i actually grind to get drops to support my character. I put the exp into a genie hoping to get a lucky one and keep it at my level. I do that to build up money and extra spirit for my veno skills so i can do both sides of the tree. Most of the time i run into newer players who need help. ^ ^ lol me and my bf actually put our characters to the test and try tanking bosses we normally see high levels doing. >.> except when he goes and agro's something that is ??? then i go running for my life while he is dead on the ground laughing.
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think lack of patience comes from the fact that there is more to life then there was 100 or even 50 years ago. There are just so many new and exciting ways to spend your time that it just seems like we have so much less of it (time, that is.) Even if you're not a busy person, your life can seem "stressed out" if you have too many activities you want to participate in and not even hours in the day to do them all, or enough time to earn the money for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss