forp's cleric guide

Options
Forp - Heavens Tear
Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Cleric
This was originally posted awhile ago, and deleted due to flaming because a few
people decided to disagree with the way I write guides. Lol. But I was asked
to bring it back. thanks for asking me to repost it so much b:thanks.

This is based on what I know as of level 76. A guide is never fully finished until
every single aspect is covered; therefore, this will forever be a work-in-progress.

Table of continents(i said that purposely):
1 - The cleric
2 - Your role
3 - Builds
4 - Gameplay
5 - Skills
6 - Lol

1 - The cleric
The cleric is what I call a defense-nuker. Doesn't have the tank ability of a barbarian or a warrior, doesn't have the damage of a mage. Perfect class for playing the game casually. It doesn't require a severe amount of skill to play as a cleric, but awareness is a requirement of life. You are, and will more than likely always be, a healer. Yes, you have the widest variety and strongest heals in the game. Utilizing them is important.

2 - Your role
Your role in a party will be healing, debuffing powerful monsters(bosses, elites) and catapult pullers(tw), reviving, and supporting the offensive front. Pushing too much towards attacking and debuffing leaves your heals in vain - too much to heals makes your attack and debuff suffer. Balancing both is the way to be a cleric, choosing one or the other is not.

3 - Builds
There are a number of builds you can play as a cleric. The most common(and known, to my knowledge) are as followed:

Pure Int:
This is, in my opinion, the most common build. Only enough strength for your equipment and dump the rest into magic. You see big numbers pop up on your opponent, and big ones pop up on you. Your healing output is superb. You also die in 2 hits to almost everything after level 70, so caution is advised(fyi: i don't recommend this build).

Stats:
9 int and 1 strength for every 2 levels.

Hybrid:
This, in my opinion, is the second most common build. You add at least enough strength and int for your weapons and armors, then drop some into vitality. A solid build. Easiest to play as. I'm willing to consider this being one of the better choices at end-game, but I'm not there yet, so I wouldn't know.

Stats:
At least 6 int and 1 strength every 2 levels. You have 3 extra points. What you do with all 3? That's up to you. You do not have to put them all into vitality, you do not have to put them all into int. This is a very laid-back build, the choice is yours.

Light Armor:
More physical defense, but a more restricting build. You give up the ability to add vitality when you need/want it for roughly +10% physical defense. It's good, in it's own way. I think. Has a higher critical hit rate, and the ability to wear both light armor and arcane. Versatile, yes. Damage output? Made up with criticals. Some argue this being the best build 69-89, for the good molders. I've come to believe that it is the best 69-89 in a pvp server, though, as common knowledge goes, it's not worth it in pve.

Stats:
6 int, 2 strength, and 2 dexterity every 2 levels.

Heavy Armor:
Lol

Stats:
A lot of strength, a lot of dexterity, little int. Ok. Next.

4 - Gameplay

MAKE SURE - WHETHER YOUR FIGHTING MONSTERS OR PLAYERS - TO ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BUFFS ACTIVATED.

Your gameplay is quite simple and based around what you're doing. Healing? Keep the person taking damage alive. Archer in the squad? Watch out for them, they have a habit of stealing aggression from your tank.

People often question the solo ability of a cleric. I personally find it to be one of the easiest classes to solo with. If the monster is physical and you can't kill it before it hits you, kite it by exclusively using Great Cyclone. Magic monster? doesn't matter, their magic is null on your amazing arcane robes(assuming you took that route); drop a heal after or before a fight, you'll be fine.

In player vs. player, you usually have an easy time with most classes(unless they get the drop on you, then you might as well start praying). Plume shell is a must against physical opponents, plume shot and razor feathers against robes. REMEMBER TO HEAL YOURSELF. I cannot stress that enough. A cleric does not have the defense of a barbarian, the evasion of an archer, or the ability to dodge attacks like a mage. HEALING is your advantage. Use it.

In territory wars(tw), pvp or pve, your job is simple. Keep your squad alive, revive when needed, buff if they ware off/after res/debuffed. On occasion, when you see your team is fine, drop a few debuffs/attacks on your opponents. Seal/Sleep pesky barbarians, warriors and archers. I would recommend flying when moving to a squad member, if you know it will help get their easier, but don't if there's a lot of patrol in the skies.

In a dungeon, or instance, our role is simple: heal who's being hit. On rare occasion, there will be 1 too many clerics in the room, and you may be given the pleasure of being a damage dealer. However, even if this does happen, you're still a healer. If someone is taking hits, don't be afraid to throw in a few heals. I can't tell you how many times I've had 1, maybe 2 extra clerics attacking when the entire squad is taking damage. It's ridiculous.

I think I'll add something about our aoe grind eventually, for the time being my internet is far too unstable to do anything. Perfect world doesn't even work for me right now b:sad

4 - Skills:
This is my opinion on skills. I can only say what I think you should have, it's really only a personal preference.

Your skills(read here for a more in-depth explanation):
http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Every skill is connected to a tree(except passives), and the previous skill must be learned beforehand.

Passives:

Flight Mastery -
Up to you, really. If you want an "almost-free" pair of +2 wings(THIS ONLY WORKS WITH THE WHITE WINGS), then by all means, get it.

Metal Mastery -
This mastery does not show its use until after your metal attacks are already maxed. Not a priority. Level it when you have sp to spare.

Tree 1:

Blessing of the Purehearted -
A long channeling, long casting heal. Heals a lot, yes, but a very, very situational heal. Leaving it at 1 will not hurt you.

Ironheart Blessing -
The bread and butter of the healing tree. Heals over the course of 15 seconds. The effect of this spell is also stackable, making it a vital part of how we defeat certain bosses. Keeping to your level is a must.

Wellspring Surge -
A quick heal. This is one of your more important heals(in my opinion), but having it maxed early is not advisable, as the burst heal doesn't become strong enough until 6x. It heals a small amount, but instantly. A life saver.

Revive -
The only one in the game. It's useless to yourself, but everybody you resurrect with it maxed will love you. Leveling is up to you, but if you don't, don't go around resurrecting people. They wont be happy.

Purify -
You need it. Simple as that. Leveling it a lot early is not recommended, but getting to at least 5 by 60 is a must. It's the key to our fabled aoe-poison grind and the only way to defeat certain bosses. You will have to max this eventually.

Chromatic Heal -
Your aoe heal. Heals everybody in a certain diamater, healing power and diamater climbing with every level. Its uses are.. limited. Level 1 will suffice until later.

Stream of Rejuvenation -
This heals has the potential to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's a mixture of Wellspring Surge and Ironheart Blessing - heals a lot quickly and some over time. The downfall? It cost a LOT of mana. If someone wants you to use this, tell them to buy you an mp charm. Don't worry about leveling it for awhile, getting 1 level is enough for now.

Regeneration Aura -
AKA: blue bubble, or bb. Reduces all damage taken by squad members in a diamater of 15 meters around you by 50%, and heals them every 5 seconds. It is a must for every cleric, get it as soon as it's available.

Heaven's Wrath -
AKA: red buble, or rb. Increased all damage by 100% of your equipment, attack and channeling speed by 20% of everybody in a 15 meter diamater around yourself. Not as high of a requirement as bb, but getting it wont hurt either.

Tree 2:
I consider all 4 buffs to be 1 tree.

Vanguard Spirit -
An important buff. maxed out adds a whopping 60% of your base physical defense to your physical defense. A very important skill. Max it when you can; don't put it over your attacks and heals.

Magic Shell -
Another important buff, though not as important as Vanguard Spirit. Max it early, but don't put it over your previous buffs, attacks, or heals.

Celestial Guardian -
People debate its usefulness. Personally, I love this buff. Makes things a lot quicker, in my opinion. Maxing early, however, is not recommended. Wait until you're in your 60s, maybe 70s to max it, it cost too much so early. Never put this over your previous buffs, attacks or heals.

Spirit's Gift -
I'm told this is the greatest thing ever. It might be, I don't know. Adds a lot to your magic attack, very useful. I would level this over Celestial Guardian. Though, again, don't level it over your previous buffs(excluding celestial guardian), attacks, or heals.

Greater Protective Aura -
Aoe version of Vanguard Spirit. Last 30 minutes longer. Getting it is up to you, though it does save mana in a full squad.

Aegis Spirit -
Aoe version of Magic Shell. Last 30 minutes longer. Getting it is up to you, though it does save mana in a full squad.

Exalted Renewal -
Aoe version of Celestial Guardian. Last 30 minutes longer. Getting it is up to you, though it does save mana in a full squad.

Arcane Empowerment -
Aoe version of Spirit's Gift. Last 30 minutes longer. Getting it is up to you, though it does save mana in a full squad.

Tree 3:

Plume Shot -
Your basic attack. Its power comes from your magic attack, though the damage is physical. A deadly attack. Max this to your level.

Plume Shell -
Your only defense against physical attacks as a robed cleric. Maxed converts 80% of incoming physical damage into hits on your mana. It will save your life, and is a must when you hit 60. Before hand, unless your in a pvp server, leveling it slowly will be fine.

Razor Feathers -
Your first aoe attack. Though I think this spell is golden, and it's the key to our aoe grind, leveling it early is not recommended. And, never level this over your more important heals and attacks. Its damage is also physical, dealing almost twice as much as plume shot. A well timed razor feather will leave an opponent arcane wearer in the dirt. Level 1 will suffice until after 60.

Tree 4:

Elemental Seal -
Though I believe this skill to be useful, leveling it early(and by early, I mean before the 60s when there are much better skills) is not recommended. It takes a small amount of magic defense from your opponent. Useless on normal monsters, but on bosses does wonders. In pvp, it could be used to increase your spike damage, but I still do NOT recommend getting this too early. There is better skills you could be using spirit on.

Dimensional Seal -
See above.

(note: Silence Seal and Chromatic Seal both have a lower chance to break as you increase their level. The %, unknown to me. However, upon maxing both, they've even began to show their use in pve)
Silence Seal -
This skill doesn't shine in pve, really. It's useful, but has a high chance of breaking. In pvp, it could be used to put a physical based opponent at bay for a short time, but they have the ability to break the seal. Ignore this until you actually think it's worth your time.

Chromatic Seal -
Puts your opponent to sleep. Level 1 is 12 seconds. Breaks just like the Silence Seal. It provides ample time to heal yourself, run away, debuff, charge up a long-casting skill, etc. As soon as you hit whoever you used this seal on will be awoken. Level 1 will suffice for a long time.

Tree 5:

Great Cyclone -
It channels fast, cast fast, slows your opponent, and does significant damage. Damn, a skill can do all that? Max immediately. This is your most used attack.

Thunderball -
Though I'm unsure of its true purpose, it is a decent skill when maxed. However, there are more important skills at this level. 1 level and move on.

Siren's Kiss -
Just like Thunderball, I'm unsure of its true purpose. It has a very wide ranged aoe effect around you, has a chance to freezes your opponent for a short time, and deals significant damage. It doesn't add damage from your weapon, however, so it doesn't hit as high as other skills; and it uses a spark. 1 level is enough, move on.

Wield Thunder -
Our only non-chi nuke. Does significantly more damage than Plume Shot and Great Cyclone, but it comes with a hefty channeling time and a large mana cost. And, personally, I found other skills more important to level over this right away. If you are in a pvp server, maxing is a must. Its uses in pve, however, are limited. Unless this can make the monster die in less hits, leaving this skill alone for awhile will not hurt you.

Tempest -
The hardest hitting, most devastating, and most beautiful spell we have. This is a chi-burst skill, and it's totally worth it. It hits significantly harder than anything else we we have, but it comes at a very heavy price. Leveling this early is a big no-no. Get it to level 1, of course, but leveling it up before the other important skills at 60? no. Save your sp for something else right now.

6 - Lol
There is NO such thing as a FULL SUPPORT CLERIC(FSC) or a FULL ATTACK CLERIC(FAC). It is impossible to be full support or full attack. You are a cleric, nothing more.
Post edited by Forp - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    to lazy to read all of it lol but yay forp is back let the flaming begin ^^

LA isnt beter then arcaneb:angry(i started it if any1 asks lol) ^^
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    forp, your point of view of a cleric is very narrow, I have nothing more to say. Good guide or w/e.
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
    edited June 2009
    Options

Your role in a party will be healing, debuffing powerful monsters(bosses, elites) and catapult pullers(tw), reviving, and supporting the offensive front. Pushing too much towards attacking and debuffing leaves your heals in vain - too much to heals makes your attack and debuff suffer. Balancing both is the way to be a cleric, choosing one or the other is not.

You also die in 2 hits to almost everything after level 70, so caution is advised(fyi: i don't recommend this build).

Razor Feathers -
    Your first aoe attack. Though I think this spell is golden, and it's the key to our aoe grind, leveling it early is not recommended. And, never level this over your more important heals and attacks. Its damage is also physical, dealing almost twice as much as plume shot A well timed razor feather will leave an opponent arcane wearer in the dirt. Level 1 will suffice until after 60.

6 - Lol
    There is NO such thing as a FULL SUPPORT CLERIC(FSC) or a FULL ATTACK CLERIC(FAC). It is impossible to be full support or full attack. You are a cleric, nothing more.

Says who?

since when?
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    thought you had nothing more to say?

i don't want your filth ruining my thread, see to it that you never post in it again.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    tbh i liked this guide, i wish i read this first before cayeons. But there is also a lot of usefull information in Cayeons guide that I found useful as well. (such as where to grind at what levels/ the type of bonus stats you can get for your armour, etc, etc.) I advise any new players to read both of these guides.

EDIT: In my opinion lvl 1-30 is great for a 9 int 1 str every 2 lvls build, (just my opinion) it got me up to 30 in no time
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Uh this isn't a narrow view of a cleric...it's the truth.

Your main job in squads is healing? Yeah, most of the time, along with debuffs. Your squad role is a healer. That is what you are invited for.

And there really isn't TRUE fac and fsc. By their very definitions FAC=no heals/buffs= you are not a cleric; you are a wizard that can do physical damage. FSC= no attacks, only buffs and heals= you are dead. This has been discussed. Many times. You can be attack or support oriented but rarely either extreme. And there is no excuse to ignore skills when you get to high levels and have excess spirit.

Good intro guide covering the basic topics that are beaten to death around here. Now, to get people to read these things instead of starting a million new threads about cleric builds...b:surrender
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Forp: "1 - The cleric
    The cleric is what I call a defense-nuker. Doesn't have the tank ability of a barbarian or a warrior, doesn't have the damage of a mage. Perfect class for playing the game casually. It doesn't require a severe amount of skill to play as a cleric, but awareness is a requirement of life. You are, and will more than likely always be, a healer. Yes, you have the widest variety and strongest heals in the game. Utilizing them is important.

2 - Your role
    Your role in a party will be healing, debuffing powerful monsters(bosses, elites) and catapult pullers(tw), reviving, and supporting the offensive front. Pushing too much towards attacking and debuffing leaves your heals in vain - too much to heals makes your attack and debuff suffer. Balancing both is the way to be a cleric, choosing one or the other is not."

Ok......the guide is not bad, however I have to point out some things.

1) Clerics CAN tank. Not saying that we can tank everything, but there are a TON of bosses and such that we can. Even elite bosses.

List of some of the bosses I have tanked (not including the lower lvls):
    - Krimson (Eyes) : YES I DID IT WOOT!! Had to try after the last post about clerics b:cute
    - Chit in 1-2 and 1-3
    - Drum Boss in 1-2 and 1-3
    - Warlord in 2-1
    - Feng in 2-1
    - Mantavip
    - FB's 19-59

(just to name a few and still working my way to some, i'll try any of them at least one if not more then once b:cute....Jewel is the next one for me to try when I get time b:surrender. And YES some do hurt a little...lol...but we can heal and debuff ourselves!!! Makes life a little easier!)

2) Clerics can be some of the best DD's in the game. Since our damage far surpasses that of tank classes for both bosses and hh runs.

3) Hybrid build generally follow the following: 8 mag, 1 str and 1 vit every two levels -or- some even use 6 mag, 1 str and 2 vit every two levels.

4) In my opinion, LA is not a viable end game build for Clerics. (NOT wanting a flame war, this is my opinion). Using dex will severely limit the damage output of Cleric as well as healing power since heals will also be based on the base magic available. You can get extra Crit from equipment, why waste the points on dex. Also, the pdef one can get can be gotten from ornaments and shards if needed. This keeps the mp and damage output high and where it should but.

5) Clerics are not always invited to heal. I have been invited to many FB's, HH's and bosses to help DD/Tank.

6) We can and do very well in PvP and often surprise a lot of people.

---> I am NOT saying that Clerics are better then tank classes, but I am saying that the sterotype of Clerics ONLY being healers is NOT right.

Edit: NO idea y the format went nuts...sry...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Amazing, people would actaully play a game to kiss other peoples asses... nice one
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    thought you had nothing more to say?

i don't want your filth ruining my thread, see to it that you never post in it again.

u fell on ur head? .... (yes ur doctor told me hes giving u a injection of venom right now ^^ )
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Clerics CAN tank. Not saying that we can tank everything, but there are a TON of bosses and such that we can. Even elite bosses.
    i'm well aware, as i've soloed many myself. however, where it counts, we don't fit. for instance, you named lower level bosses(except for krimson, wtf?) that are generally very easy. solo mode or squad? pretty sure wurlord can dish out some pretty nasty physical in 2-1, but i know he doesn't have that 1-shot magic attack like in 2-2 and 2-3
    (just to name a few and still working my way to some, i'll try any of them at least one if not more then once b:cute....Jewel is the next one for me to try when I get time b:surrender. And YES some do hurt a little...lol...but we can heal and debuff ourselves!!! Makes life a little easier!)
    jewel is doable. at least a +2 flight and you'll be able to kite him.
    Clerics can be some of the best DD's in the game. Since our damage far surpasses that of tank classes for both bosses and hh runs.
    yes, we can be great dds. sometimes. generally, an archers or mages dps will kill ours in hh. especially a venos pet, that thing does more damage than everybody. so while we can be good dds, there's generally someone else that can do it better.

In my opinion, LA is not a viable end game build for Clerics. (NOT wanting a flame war, this is my opinion). Using dex will severely limit the damage output of Cleric as well as healing power since heals will also be based on the base magic available. You can get extra Crit from equipment, why waste the points on dex. Also, the pdef one can get can be gotten from ornaments and shards if needed. This keeps the mp and damage output high and where it should but.
    using con also severely limits the heals. weird right? also, it doesn't severely limit your heals. the difference under level 100 is hardly noticeable, and unless you're pure int, you can't really complain about losing int to something else =s
    Clerics are not always invited to heal. I have been invited to many FB's, HH's and bosses to help DD/Tank.
    i've been invited to be a dd as well. we generally use a physical tank because we're not weirdos, and it makes our lives easier, but w/e floats your boat.
    We can and do very well in PvP and often surprise a lot of people.
    that's what i said!
    I am NOT saying that Clerics are better then tank classes, but I am saying that the sterotype of Clerics ONLY being healers is NOT right.
    never said they're only healers, just that: GENERALLY their role in a squad is to be the healer.

Amazing, people would actaully play a game to kiss other peoples asses... nice one
    yeah, weird huh? why do you do that? now stop posting.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Well, I just want to say that for someone who has written a guide for all to see, you tend to be very defensive about the opinions of others. And to tell people to "stop posting" tells me that you don't want to hear what others have to say, when it is important for other Clerics to give there opinions and there play styles. Although I DO NOT condone flaming and that is not my intention here.

Again, I was merely stating some things that I felt was necessary for others to know. Agree with them or not.

I personally did not "follow" any standard build, as I was so noobish I did not even think to look for a guide. I restated two times before hitting level 50 because of this. However, I do think that I have a fantastic build and that I have learned to play the Cleric well, as I would hope any level 80+ would.

I believe that I stated that it was not a bad guide, I was just pointing out some things that I thought were important for those who would maybe read it early on in there Cleric lives. It is especially crucial for the early levels to realize what skills are essential and what skills are, well, bad for lack of a better term for the forums. And the link you provided is a fantastic site that I have used many a time for clarification purposes.

P.S.--> YES!! We can tank Krimson (Eyes). It is all in the debuffs. Try Krimson, you would be surprised I think, I did not believe it but in another post, a 9x Cleric in LC did it and I thought hmmm why not try and well it worked!

Note on Krimson: BE CAREFUL...lol...At one point Eyes dealt me 4577 damage. (sry the pic is bad, not on home comp to edit better...b:surrender)

Wurlord yes has some nasty phys attacks, but that is what we have Plume Shell for, pdef and hp. As far as beyond 2-1, I have yet to try although I do not think I would make it...lol. But hey I am willing to try anything once, having said that in squad mode a def no maybe in single mode for anything beyond 2-1. And yes I will be trying Jewel, the only one I really have yet to try but am very confident that I could tank it/her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Catriona - Lost City
    Catriona - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    b:surrender Can't we all just get along?

*shot*
    Float like a butterfly; hit like a truck! b:chuckle
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    i never questioned you; i even inforced some of what you said. but i disregard everything mystic says and i advize everybody else to do the same. i don't turn away others opinions, just failclerics like himself don't deserve a say.

if you were in this forum earlier this year, i believe you would understand. you could search up some of his old threads if you want, it should give you a proper explainataion to why nobody likes him and why nobody takes anything he says seriously.
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I like the guide and pretty much agree with the assessment of the skills for what it's worth... lol Any deaths that might occur have more to do with my inexperience on a particular boss than with my skills. The same mistakes don't happen twice. Live and learn... lol

It (Forp's guide) has helped me be (what I would consider) a successful cleric. I get more invites to go with parties than I have time to do. ^^ Not saying the others haven't helped, but his is pretty solid IMO.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options

Note on Krimson: BE CAREFUL...lol...At one point Eyes dealt me 4577 damage. (sry the pic is bad, not on home comp to edit better...b:surrender
    how much hp do u have...b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    i never questioned you; i even inforced some of what you said. but i disregard everything mystic says and i advize everybody else to do the same. i don't turn away others opinions, just failclerics like himself don't deserve a say.

if you were in this forum earlier this year, i believe you would understand. you could search up some of his old threads if you want, it should give you a proper explainataion to why nobody likes him and why nobody takes anything he says seriously.

Ehhh...I don't know if I want too...lol. I will take your word for it then. And now I understand if it is more personal...b:surrender.
    how much hp do u have...b:shocked

LOL....with Barb buff I have 5.2k hp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]