Getting to Room 4 of the Cube for First Timers

Options
Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
I was unable to find a detailed guide for FIRST TIMERS to the cube and so I put together this to save others the frustration I went through.

A Step by Step Walkthrough and Newbie FAQ to the Cube with emphasis on how to get to Room 4 “Mice Bashing” a great place to level up land pets.

For a detailed guide to each room in the Cube see:
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=157802

For a discussion of techniques to be used once inside Room 4 see
Vazil's Guide to Quick Pet Leveling
Please note: My preference is the Bow and Arrow technique outlined by Kytalia in post 11 of this Guide below. The Vazils technique is slower and ends up creating a huge repair bill unless you take off everything.
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=263211

Some Basic Cube FAQ:

a) You must be level 40+. You can only go into the Cube (beyond Room 1) once a day. You cannot leave to go to the banker, buy Mirage Celestones or supplies, repair equipment etc, then come right back in. So do that before you start.

b) Once inside the Cube you CAN log out, disconnect, and log back in to the same room inside the Cube.

c) You do not lose XP or items if you die in the Cube, whether killed by mobs or PKers. Your Guardian Angels do not get used if you have them on you. PK enabled rooms: 11, 14, 23, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 43, 44, 45, 47 & 48. These rooms are PK enabled no matter whether you are on a PVP or PVE server and even if you are Blue named.

d) The mobs you kill don't give you any XP or SP of significance but you get full Pet XP credit. ie. 15 Pet XP points (if loyalty above 500)

e) Other players will enter/leave the room you are in. Rm 4 can support about 2 Venos killing at top speed, 3 or more and the mob doesn't respawn fast enough so you will have to slow down or take a break. The challenge for room 4 is to kill 10 mob. So most other players are in and out within a minute. (Solandri indicates it can support up to 4 Venos but I have notexperienced that yet)

f) The penalty for failing the challenge in any room or getting killed is to be teleported back to Room 1. No XP or item loss.

g) Using the Cube to level your pet can be costly. Estimate anywhere from 1 to 8 Mirage Celestones.

h) It takes the same number of kills in the cube and outside the cube to level your pet. In cube Rm 4 the mob are one shot kills and quite close together. The disadvantage is there are no drops and no XP for yourself. Using the bow and arrow method I averaged about 1 kill per second over a 5 hr period.

Walkthrough
(I’m doing this from memory some steps and names may be inaccurate. Please feel free to point out any errors)

Step 1: Get Prepared - You cannot leave and re-enter the Cube freely, so get this done first.
a) Get plenty of Mirage Celestones, Dice tickets or coin. Each Mirage can be exchanged for 2 Dice Tickets, and on HT there were Catshops inside the starting RM of the cube selling Dice Tickets for between 15K and 20K. Every move requires one Dice Ticket. So if it takes you 8 tries to get a Dice roll of 3 (to get to room 4) it will take 8 Dice tickets or 4 Mirage Celestones. It is completely random so it may take you one try or 20 depending on how lucky you are.
b) Get pet food and loyalty increasing pet food. You want to always have loyalty above 500 to maximize leveling speed.
c) Buy 2 Bows and at least 2000+ arrows.
I recommend using a Bow to shoot arrows in Rm 4, I tried a few of the methods detailed in the other guides and the arrow method seemed to be the fastest. To level one pet from 20 to 57 it took about 1200 arrows and the bow broke by the end. To level more than that you will need a second bow and more arrows. The mob in room 4 have very low hp so even a basic lvl 3 bow will suffice. If you are not sure just bring them anywayso you have the option. The cost of the bow and arrows is small compared to getting into Rm 4 of the cube.
d) Make sure you have at least 4 or preferably more free inventory slots. you will need these for the Dice Tickets, Dice, Duty Badge, Puzzle Cubes and any other items you may decide to buy.
e) Repair your equipment
f) If you have a HP Charm equipped get Teleport Incense in case you end up in room 6. Not essential but recommended for convenience.
g) Last but not least don't forget to hatch the pet(s) you want to level

Step 2: Talk to the Khatru Pup (at any major City or in Archosaur) and get the Duty Badge. Then talk to him or the Adventure Assistant and enter the Cube. You will be teleported into a big room called Fates Beginning. (Room 1) You can enter this room without the Duty Badge but you cannot go any further in the Cube without it.

You will see a Herc NPC called "Room 1 Teleport Master" in the middle and a "Fates Forge" next to him. This Herc NPC takes your Duty Badge and begins the adventure. The "Fates Forge" next to him is used to trade your Mirage Celestones for dice tickets. It has multiple tabs once you click on it, choose the TRD tab to get the Mirage exchange option.

There are usually a bunch of Catshops in Rm 1. If you are short of Mirages, or the prices are good you might want to buy the Dice tickets from the shops instead.

Step 3: Once you have the Puzzle Cube and Dice Tickets (you can see it in your inventory) Talk to the Herc NPC again and start the adventure. You will get a dice with a number. If you are very lucky it will be a 3 and you can move forward 3 rms to room 4.

Step 4: No matter what number you roll, you must go to that room to continue. Right click on the Dice in your inventory and you will be teleported to that room.

If you did not get 3, go to the room you do get and fail the challenge. You get teleported back to room 1. You can fail Rooms 3,6 and 7 by simply running around and getting yourself killed. Fail room 5 by entering the wrong number of apple count. It is important that you fail the room. If you complete the challenge you will get another Dice which means you have used up another ~15K dice ticket.

Note for Rm 6: (Thanks to Daerys & Solandri) If you have a HP Charm you cannot die in Room 6 "Open Sesame" the boss kills you slower than the Charm heal. You must teleport out using Teleport Incense or Town Portal, or you can kill the Boss. (You can also use Foxform and leach as pointed out by Solandri to avoid burning your Charm while killing it). However, if you kill the Boss you will complete the challenge and therefore have used up another Dice Ticket.

Once back in room 1 talk to the NPC in the middle to get another dice hopefully 3. Keep repeating this sequence until you get to room 4.

In any room you can use your town portal spell or teleport incense to teleport back to room 1. If you happen to teleport back to room 1 with a Dice in your possession you must convert that back to a puzzle cube or the Teleport NPC will not roll another Dice for you. That is what the "Thown Dice 1-Dice 6 Exchange Forges" in Room 1 are for. Go to the forge corresponding to the dice number and click on it to convert the dice back to a puzzle cube.

Arriving at Room 4: Once you arrive at Room 4 the "Mice Bashing" room. You can simply summon your pet and start killing or talk to the NPC and he will tell you to kill 10 mob. You can in fact keep killing as many as you want. As long as you don't talk to the NPC again to tell him you have finished you get to stay in the room for hours or days.

You will see a bunch of Tombstones called Ancient Dooms Lvl (?). They don’t aggro until you attack them but have very low HP 10 or so they will die with one hit. That is the key to Pet leveling in this room, you can gain 15 pet XP per kill as fast as you can target and attack.

Leaving: when you are done you can leave the room by using the town portal teleport spell to get to Room 1. (Don't talk to the NPC in Rm 4 or you will use up another Dice ticket) Then go to the Exit Watcher NPC in Rm 1 (a Herc on one of the side walls) to leave.

You may also try to complete the Cube instead of teleporting back to Rm 1 immediately but be aware that you will need a bunch of Dice tickets to even stand a chance. If you only have a few Mirages, I suggest saving them for when you are much richer.

Hope this was helpful. Please comment if you did and I will continue updating it.
Post edited by Viper_girl - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    what teh point to this copy/paste topic ? Oo
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Options
    what teh point to this copy/paste topic ? Oo

I didn't copy and paste this ... I wrote most of it because i couldn't find it. most guides just say go into the cube and get to room 4. Fine if you already know how to do it.

It is aimed at the specific steps that a first timer to the cube needs to know. The cube is costly and daunting if you haven't been in it before.

I wasted several Mirages and a lot of time because the first time I went to the cube to get to Room 4, I had no idea what NPC to talk to where to exchange Mirages etc. How to get back to room 1 when I went past room 4 etc. I also had many questions like XP loss, that I personally wanted to know which I put in the FAQ section.

This isn't meant for Cube veterans who already know this stuff like the back of their hands.

And if no-one finds it useful, then just let the thread die and I won't bother to update/improve it.
  • Alyra - Dreamweaver
    Alyra - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I would just like to thank you for your guide here. When I was leveling my herc a while back I went searching for a post that detailed specifically how one got to room 4 and couldn't find one. I learned most of the above myself through trial and error, but to have known this ahead of time would have saved me a lot of grief (and coin, lol). So I'm glad that other people will hopefully benefit. :)
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You may also want to mention carrying some Teleport Incense. If you roll a 5 (into room 6, Open Sesame) and have a guardian charm equipped you will not die until the charm wears out, and 10kish is cheaper than another dice ticket on most servers.
  • Weng - Heavens Tear
    Weng - Heavens Tear Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Step 2: Talk to the Khatru Pup (at any major City or in Archosaur) and get the Badge of Honor. Then talk to him or the Adventure Assistant and enter the Cube. You will be teleported into a big room called Fates Beginning. (Room 1 of the Cube) You can enter this room without the Badge of Honor but you cannot go any further in the Cube without it.

You don't get Badge of Honor from the pup or Assistant, you get Duty Badge.
  • rivkah
    rivkah Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You may also want to mention carrying some Teleport Incense. If you roll a 5 (into room 6, Open Sesame) and have a guardian charm equipped you will not die until the charm wears out, and 10kish is cheaper than another dice ticket on most servers.

I am so, so, so very glad you mentioned this. I only wished I'd read it sooner! I just spent 20 minutes killing the boss in room 6, because I have a charm and couldn't die to get back to room 1! I had already used my teleport skill, so I had to kill the boss or waste 500k+ points on my charm.... Once I killed it, I got sent to room 12, where (upon realizing I was out of dice tickets) I had to sit for about 40 minutes until my teleport skill came back to life.... And to add insult to injury, when I got back to room one, I ROLLED A FIVE!

I promptly left.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    e) Other players can and will enter/leave the room you are in. Rm 4 can support about 2 Venos killing at top speed, 3 or more and the mob doesn't respawn fast enough so you will have to slow down or take a break.
    The mobs seem to respawn as quickly as you kill them (after a short delay). I've seen the room support 4 venos without difficulty. The problem comes about when one veno doesn't pull her weight in her corner. That causes mobs to start to build up in her corner, forcing everyone else to move around to find enough stuff to kill.

Another consequence is that it's actually easier with two venos in the room than it is with one. If you're in there alone, the respawns eventually show up where you're not, and you're forced to constantly move around to kill stuff. With two venos, you can pretty much reach all the respawns without much moving about.

c) Buy 2 Bows and at least 2000 arrows I recommend 5000+
    I recommend using a Bow to shoot arrows in Rm 4, I tried a few of the methods detailed in the other guides and the arrow method seemed to be the fastest. To level one pet from 20 to 57 it took about 1200 arrows and the bow broke by the end, so if you want to level more than that you will need a second bow and more arrows. The mob in room 4 have very low hp so even a basic lvl 3 bow will suffice. If you are not sure just bring them anyway the cost of the bow and arrows is small compared to getting into Rm 4 of the cube.
    Best method I've found is to use a bow, and set your pet to follow and defend. Fire an arrow at a tombstone, then immediately switch targets and fire at a different tombstone (you may have to move a bit after each shot to make this work). Ideally, you should only fire one arrow at each tombstone. If you kill it with the one shot, great. If you miss, it will come and attack you, at which point your pet will take care of it. This way you don't waste time firing at the same tombstone multiple times, you don't waste time chasing down tombstones, and you don't waste time giving your pet orders to attack a target. Both you and your pet are attacking, but you can devote all your time and attention to finding new targets.
    rivkah wrote: »
    I am so, so, so very glad you mentioned this. I only wished I'd read it sooner! I just spent 20 minutes killing the boss in room 6, because I have a charm and couldn't die to get back to room 1! I had already used my teleport skill, so I had to kill the boss or waste 500k+ points on my charm....
    Killing the boss in room 6 without burning your charm is trivial for a veno. Just switch to fox form and use leech to keep your hp ahead of the AOE (you may need to use the occasional hp potion or your charm may tick a few times). It will take a long time though.

If you're trying to reach room 4, you shouldn't ever have to fight the room 6 boss though. If you roll a 5 and your town portal is on cooldown, just don't right-click the die until your town portal has recycled.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and corrections. I have edited this to incorporate the Room 6 issue, Duty Badge correction and suggestion to get Teleport Incense before starting.

One new thing I discovered, if you have a fast pet like a Kowlin or Puppy, you can use it to kill the mob in rm 4 almost as fast as with a Bow and arrow. Target and hit Alt 1 on the next mob just as it reaches the current mob.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    One new thing I discovered, if you have a fast pet like a Kowlin or Puppy, you can use it to kill the mob in rm 4 almost as fast as with a Bow and arrow. Target and hit Alt 1 on the next mob just as it reaches the current mob.

Make sure you turn off any pet skills if you do that. Skills like Bash or Flesh Ream take a little time for the pet to cast. So your pet will run up to a mob, pause, then start attacking. If you turn off the pet skills, they'll attack right away without any pauses.
  • Valeris - Harshlands
    Valeris - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This will only apply if you JUST have an HP charm.

Cast spells until all of your mana is gone. Keep clicking on any spell to keep you mana as low as possible, wait until the mob ticks your hp charm, than hit Soul Transfusion, the 10 second recharge will be enough time for it to kill you since you will only have between 40 - 80 life.

;)
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    i've heard there is a trick that gets you the cube you want, by exchanging it at the forges, but i dont understand how it works, though i've heard it explained several times. i have taken both the puzzle cube and the dice to the forges, but never figured how to get the switch to work...

please, does someone know, who can explain it clearly?b:begb:beg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • paulnz
    paulnz Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I had several questions to look up today. Where do I level my ground pet, whats a dice ticket for, is there any other use for Calistones. This answered all of them.

I am a newb to much of this stuff and intros that put the pieces together are very helpful.

Thank you.
  • CharOfLight - Raging Tide
    CharOfLight - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    (sry for posting in an old thread)
    ty for this thread it hlped me a lot :D
    room 6: edit: sry havnt seen http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3567832&postcount=11 ^^
    - better do that and Save your TOWN PORT for room 8 (if you get to room 2 and then have as bad luck as me and roll a 6 ^^ in room 8 its either pay 100k or tele out..)
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I used to use room 4 heavily and then..I had a shocking revelation..

Room 4 is boring. I can't speed level my pets in there without getting sleepy. So I level them the good ol' fashion exciting way.