Player shops

Options
semjase
semjase Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Suggestion Box
Limit player shops or encourage use of auction house for players to sell items, to avoid lag in town. It makes questing more difficult when you have a hard time locating npc's due to all the shops in front of them. It also makes it harder to find specific items when all the shops are piled on top of each other.
Post edited by semjase on

Comments

• gin
    gin Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Actually there is some kind of a system with the shops that the players themselves created =P

Here's how it is in MY-EN Delphi:

Around the ADC west north area (near teleporter):
    S>HH mats, molders, lvl 89 skill books, HH wood, DQ 81-91, mid mines.
    B>DQ 81-91, HH wood, mid mines.

More to the middle of ADC west (around the BrewMaster):
    S>Mid and high mines, DQ 71-81, pots, fashion and mounts.
    B>Mid and high mines, DQ 71-81, pots.

ADC west middle:
    S>DQ 20-61, fashion, mid and high mats, mounts, avations.
    B>DQ 20-61, mid and high mats.

ADC west south:
    S>DQ 20-61, low mats.
    B>Candy, mats.

Near Rosalind:
    S> Overpriced Soulstones

Near Penney:
    S>Wedding invitations.

But yeah. Less shops would be great! But I will still put up stalls there as long as we have to pay to put items in the auction house =(
  • orciencor
    orciencor Posts: 12
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Actually, I think that 'system' may very well just be by chance. People choosing to sell near others selling the same stuff because they intend to either be close to where others are looking for the stuff. You still see the various shops all over the place, really, but shops selling specific types of objects do tend to gravitate toward each other.

And part of the reason the shops are so common is that the Auction House simply cannot handle all items in the game, at least to my knowledge. (It's supposedly buggy too, but I have personally never had any problems with it yet.) INT's may be more up to date in this department, but who knows presently. (Beyond the obvious.)

Personally, I doubt anything will ever be done with the shops, at least to limit them in any way. So instead of hoping for something like that to happen, I'd actually like to suggest we, as a community, choose to do something else that we are entirely capable of doing with them. Which is simply to choose a different location for everyone to set up shop.

As we all know, ADC West can get unbelievably lagging because of all the shops that get set up there. The placement is entirely logical, of course, as ADC West is by far the busiest section of the city due to it's housing one of all the major NPC shops, a teleporter, multiple normal quest givers, as well as the repeatable daily quest givers. It makes sense for anyone to want to set up shop in such a high traffic area. But the lag becomes something pretty horrible from doing so.

So, as I said, I'd like to propose that we move the location of our player bazaar northward from ADC West to the Northwest corner. I do not know if it's necessarily the best location, other ideas are certainly welcome for better ones. However, it is, as far as I've been able to tell thus far, a fairly useless location within the city. None of the mobs seem to be of great usefulness except on some rare occasions. And I'm fairly sure that despite it being slightly smaller then West, it will still fit all the shops without difficulty. Almost every shop in ADC West is placed on the main north/south road. All of which will fit with pretty simple rearranging.

Of course, the traffic may not be as great being outside of a normally heavy trafficked area, but having the bazaar located somewhere else will also do is ensure that the majority of those passing through it are actually also there to shop, instead of just trying to find the bank, or do their quests. (Or even weddings. Heck, having it somewhere else should make those less lagging for people too.)

Unfortunately, this sort of thing will never work unless a large majority of the community actually chooses to go about doing it. There will always be people who will set up shop in the high traffic areas simply because of the exposure to people. But I believe that if a majority of people choose to move the mass of the bazaar to a less laggy location for everyone else, new players - and even some old - will see that we've chosen to place it elsewhere instead of the standard location for every other PW server, and most will then follow suit.

(As for how it may generally get layed out... Well, that sort of thing could always be decided later. Although it would work itself out on its own regardless. Like shops will always gravitate toward each other, after all.)
  • starelf
    starelf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well, there is one thing that could be done...
    They can set a limit that prevents shops from being created on top of npcs or within a certain range around them. I think that would make most everyone happy, except those people who love sticking them right on an NPCs head to try and get more people viewing their shop of course... No offense to them exactly, but I know that bugs the heck out of me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]