IP ban's (on My server)??

Options
ayrwyn
ayrwyn Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
There is a rumor flying around that they are banning ip's on the MY server for the USA when this comes out. Is this true?? IDK if there is a way that you can find this out or not, but it would be nice to have the rumor cleared up.
Post edited by ayrwyn on

Comments

• junk
    junk Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    You mean My-en banning US players? Afaik when they bought off the game from the Chinese, they specifically made sure they didn't have to IP ban anyone. I mean they're already losing profit due to the massive exodus here, and if no foreigners can play at all, the My GMs' pet guilds won't have anyone to bully around anymore, get bored and leave too, causing the game to die.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I think you're better off asking this question on their forums - how can GMs from this company know what cubinet is planning to do? Unless it was them who asked cubizone to do this (IF the rumor is true)... which i doubt.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    IF they ip block on the MY version, they will only block NEW accounts being made. Anyone who already has an account on the MY version has nothing to worry about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Uh.. usually, an IP block prevents the blocking users from connecting to the servers that block them
    No reason blocking account creation only, as you can still bypass that by using proxy and play with the usual speed after registering
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • koz
    edited July 2008
    Options
    soukyuu wrote: »
    Uh.. usually, an IP block prevents the blocking users from connecting to the servers that block them
    No reason blocking account creation only, as you can still bypass that by using proxy and play with the usual speed after registering

You cannot IP block people who already have spent money and have accounts on the game unless it was in the TOS that said "We can ip block anyone at any time." Otherwise they can get sued for it. 2Moons decided to ip block in the middle but they only blocked NEW accounts from registering, thus letting the people who already have accounts to still play. This was the same way for all of the IAH games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well i don't know, that seems useless.
    One could also ask some malaysian player (or an existing intl one) to register an account for him and play.
    And if it works here the same as well then if someone wants to play here, s/he will be able to bypass it the same way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • koz
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The client download sometimes is also IP blocked and GMs monitor the IPs and proxys in game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    i laughed really hard at the last part when thinking about MY server ;)
    besides even if the download is IP blocked, someone will seed it on torrent, because for someone like me, torrent is the better way for downloading huge files. My connection DCs frequently, has to do with my line =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • koz
    edited July 2008
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that MY will ip block, because there is a lot of Euro and NA players there and it would be a big hit to their revenue. If they have a higher level character I don't think they would switch over servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xkwisite
    xkwisite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    koz wrote: »
    You cannot IP block people who already have spent money and have accounts on the game unless it was in the TOS that said "We can ip block anyone at any time." Otherwise they can get sued for it. 2Moons decided to ip block in the middle but they only blocked NEW accounts from registering, thus letting the people who already have accounts to still play. This was the same way for all of the IAH games.

They can block you, in the cubinet TOS it explicitly says that they own your account and have the right to do whatsoever they want with it or with any other account in their database including the expulsion of user or area IP's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    xkwisite wrote: »
    They can block you, in the cubinet TOS it explicitly says that they own your account and have the right to do whatsoever they want with it or with any other account in their database including the expulsion of user or area IP's.

True,but people just never read the ToS. Very few even realize that they are only getting the privilege to use the company's services without actually owning anything,not the account or chars in it. No amount of money spent to a game changes this.

Company can just do what they want with the accounts and ip-blocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • lena
    lena Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well if MY-EN ip block me I dont really care lol I will be on a better version anyhow ;) *GO PWI with its new lingo and what not :D:p *
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arkaria
    arkaria Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Like everyone else keeps saying, an IP block mid game would cause a lot of problems. I know people in game who have spent nearly 5k USD on things for their character in MY EN. There would deffidently be some legal issues as far as taking peoples money goes. Thats basically stealing =\
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    if they had 5k to spend on a game then losing it won't hurt them much.
    some people are sure overdoing it o_O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epiphany
    epiphany Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    thom wrote: »
    True,but people just never read the ToS. Very few even realize that they are only getting the privilege to use the company's services without actually owning anything,not the account or chars in it. No amount of money spent to a game changes this.

Company can just do what they want with the accounts and ip-blocks.
    Yes, and it's their (player) loss if they don't read the TOS.
  • arkaria
    arkaria Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    soukyuu wrote: »
    if they had 5k to spend on a game then losing it won't hurt them much.
    some people are sure overdoing it o_O

Not to be argumentive, but I beg to differ. Unless you're swimming in a sea of multimillions I'm pretty sure it would bother you to spend 5k supporting a game just to have them say "**** you, you have your own version now you're lvl 8x and we just dont care. *hits big red ban button*

Just saying :P
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    i just think that "investing" nearly 5k into game items is the same as throwing money away
    there are better ways to spend such a sum of $
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ayrwyn
    ayrwyn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    arkaria wrote: »
    Not to be argumentive, but I beg to differ. Unless you're swimming in a sea of multimillions I'm pretty sure it would bother you to spend 5k supporting a game just to have them say "**** you, you have your own version now you're lvl 8x and we just dont care. *hits big red ban button*

Just saying :P

I bought cubi now and then but 5k????? On a "FREE" GAME?? Man and i felt guilty for spending a tiny fraction of that amount. WOW!! 5k on a game?? Can't they develop their own for that amount? Seriously though if someone has 5k to blow on a "Free" game ... I'm astounded. I think i'm speechless. Yup sorry can't drudge up sorrow for anyone who spends 5k of RL money on a free game.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ayrwyn wrote: »
    I bought cubi now and then but 5k????? On a "FREE" GAME?? Man and i felt guilty for spending a tiny fraction of that amount. WOW!! 5k on a game?? Can't they develop their own for that amount? Seriously though if someone has 5k to blow on a "Free" game ... I'm astounded. I think i'm speechless. Yup sorry can't drudge up sorrow for anyone who spends 5k of RL money on a free game.

I know two guys that have each spent 10k on this game. The first guy has spent 10k on two versions for a total of 20k USD, while the other one just 10k.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • veco
    veco Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    If i ever spent 20k on a game... a free car better be included in the package... "Thank you for playing PW-INT, here are your official DVD game discs and your official Perfect World Scion tc" (which better have some super kewl gfx on it) lol ^^
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well, that money was spent on their weapons alone. The 8th rank military bow+12 is pretty nasty if you wanna just pay for it.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • wabbitt
    wabbitt Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Cubizone would have have to be out of their mind to IP block western IP's considering its probably its major source of income, and its going to be losing a large part of it.
    The only reason there would be an IP block is if they are legally forced to by bejing, and I doubt if that is possible.

I dont believe stories about people spending 20k on this game either.
  • veco
    veco Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    wabbitt wrote: »
    I dont believe stories about people spending 20k on this game either.

screenshot or it didn't happen! lol
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Hmm... Okay, let's see...

NeoNe0's 8th Rank Military Bow:

Weapon: 200k Rep = 10k wedding candies = 10k cubi = 3.5b = $3.6k USD
    Add-ons: "+12" Refining status = 4.6b = $4.7k USD

NeoNe0's Armour:
    All refined to +8 = 400m each = 4b = $4.1k USD

Miscellaneous: 100m = $106 USD

Grand Total: 12.4k USD x2 (Two versions) = 24.8k USD in total. I'd get a screenshot, but I'm lazy. All prices are estimated only, sorry. I rounded down, so I probably got a lower-than-actual amount.

Oh, I just realized... my post total is about 10% of this board's posts.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • sphinx
    sphinx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    thats just rediculous... who the hell would pay so much money for something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.