[HELP!] - Venomancer | Newbie Questions

raizelix#5523
raizelix#5523 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Just a little knowledge about my venomancer before you guys answer the questions.
- Sage Venomancer
- Pure Magic Build

1. I'm planning on using G16 AA gears for a long time before going R9 and I'm trying to decide whether to use Citrine or Garnet Gem on my G16. Since I'll be using it for a while, I'll be attending PvP events like xNW, NW, Thursday Night Fights, etc. Which of those gems should I use?
*Just copy and paste the questions and put your answer here ↓.
->

2. It says on the PWI wiki that the Monkey King is the best PvP pet so far but I wanted to know if this is true from players who have been playing venomancer for a long time that also happen to have that pet. Reason for this is because I'm currently looking for a legendary pet that is superior on PvP occasion but can still be useful when it comes to PvE. I'm planning on only owning 1 legendary pet for the rest of my venomancer days since they are quite expensive so I have to choose wisely which one I'll be buying. One more thing, is there a pet that can go on water, land, and air?
->

3. When I was on a hunt for rare pets, someone told me that PWI changed the respawn time. This player says that the rare pets will respawn immediately after getting tamed/killed. But, when I looked it up on the wiki, it still says that some of the rare pets respawn 12+ hrs after they were tamed/killed. Which one of these are true?
->

4. For a PvP pet, what are the best skills I need to get? To add, I'm also hearing this thing called Mood skills which gives the pet an additional 2 skills. So, when I encounter this Mood thing, what's the best skill I need to get for PvP?
Same question but in a PvE aspect.
->

Edit:
5. For an end game r9 sage venomancer, should I use Att or Def Lvl shards? Not sure about cards yet but it's probably going to be either Warsong or Morai card set.

That's all the questions I have in mind for now. Would like to ask for several tips as well from venomancer veteran players out there. Anything that can help me at all is much appreciated.
I was a former assassin player before I went venomancer. Even though I went for sage to fully utilize my role as a support, I decided to go pure magic build to have a decent damage since I play quite aggressively when it comes to PvP'ing.

Looking forward to your answers ladies and gents!
Post edited by raizelix#5523 on

Comments

• copy1#8039
    copy1#8039 Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    1. I'm planning on using G16 AA gears for a long time before going R9 and I'm trying to decide whether to use Citrine or Garnet Gem on my G16. Since I'll be using it for a while, I'll be attending PvP events like xNW, NW, Thursday Night Fights, etc. Which of those gems should I use?

Honestly I dont think this is a big deal for you for now, though I guess it might be depends on rest of your gear as well (cards, star chart) However, from what I've seen citrines seems to be the most populair choice. I think as long its not your main gear, stick with whatever you find that cheapest and save the coin for your future r9.

2. It says on the PWI wiki that the Monkey King is the best PvP pet so far but I wanted to know if this is true from players who have been playing venomancer for a long time that also happen to have that pet. Reason for this is because I'm currently looking for a legendary pet that is superior on PvP occasion but can still be useful when it comes to PvE. I'm planning on only owning 1 legendary pet for the rest of my venomancer days since they are quite expensive so I have to choose wisely which one I'll be buying. One more thing, is there a pet that can go on water, land, and air?

All legendary pets comes out as water+land+air after evovled.
    Monkey is best for PvP for sure, no doubt! I own 4 out of 6 legendary pets, and honestly Monkey the only one I find useful in PvP. However, he's pretty useless in PvE. Highly recommend Harpy for that. Best choice I ever did on buying a legendary pet, just saying.

3. When I was on a hunt for rare pets, someone told me that PWI changed the respawn time. This player says that the rare pets will respawn immediately after getting tamed/killed. But, when I looked it up on the wiki, it still says that some of the rare pets respawn 12+ hrs after they were tamed/killed. Which one of these are true?

I actually don't know, haven't heard about these changes. Rare pets isn't really a big thing anymore anyway.

4. For a PvP pet, what are the best skills I need to get? To add, I'm also hearing this thing called Mood skills which gives the pet an additional 2 skills. So, when I encounter this Mood thing, what's the best skill I need to get for PvP?

Monkey comes out with 4 skills
    https://pwi.gamepedia.com/Avatar_of_War

Never ever delete Rule the World and Heavy Load.

Delete Flesh Ream for either magic defense buff or physical defense buff (from faction base).
    You could also delete Pounce (can always relearn if you regret) for the other buff to have both defense buffs.

Moods are part of Pet Evolution
    https://pwi.gamepedia.com/Venomancer_Pet_Evolution

Best mood (imo) for Monkey: Indifferent (with filled star)
    50% chance to evade debuffs (cc, dots, pets very vulnerable to dots!) and a 8 second self untarget buff.

COPY1
  • copy1#8039
    *shrugs* my comment got eaten by the filter after I edited a pwi wiki link
    @heero200 can you dig it back up?
    COPY1
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    I can't really answer most of these questions since I don't primarily play venomancer, but I can answer one of the wiki-related ones regarding rare pets since I was the one who updated most of the content on those. The page about Legendary Pets was written by a venomancer that's pretty active in PvP so it should be pretty accurate.

The information on the wiki about rare pet respawn time was put before the expansion - sometimes info becomes outdated after a major update. That said, I went out to a few of the rare pet spawns and didn't see any rare pets so I don't think they respawn immediately. To be safe, I found all 3 Froglings and killed them to see what would happen. I decided to wait about 5 minutes to see if they'd reappear and they didn't, so I'm pretty sure the info on the wiki is still true.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • raizelix#5523
    obielle wrote: »
    I can't really answer most of these questions since I don't primarily play venomancer, but I can answer one of the wiki-related ones regarding rare pets since I was the one who updated most of the content on those. The page about Legendary Pets was written by a venomancer that's pretty active in PvP so it should be pretty accurate.

The information on the wiki about rare pet respawn time was put before the expansion - sometimes info becomes outdated after a major update. That said, I went out to a few of the rare pet spawns and didn't see any rare pets so I don't think they respawn immediately. To be safe, I found all 3 Froglings and killed them to see what would happen. I decided to wait about 5 minutes to see if they'd reappear and they didn't, so I'm pretty sure the info on the wiki is still true.

Thank you so much for clarifying my question regarding the legendary pets as well as putting some of your time to check out about the respawn time of the rare ones. Much appreciated.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,796 Community Moderator
    copy1#8039 wrote: »

Sorry, it's done.

You should find this less of an issue now.

Thanks.
  • eelion
    eelion Posts: 17 Arc User

The defence you'll gain from Garnet Gems will not make a big difference, so I think it's better to stick to Citrine Gems. Neither will give you a big boost in survival since you'll be using G16 Nirvana armor, but higher HP covers more bases.

The Monkey King, or more specifically; it's evolved form Avatar of War, is indeed the best PvP pet. As of now, pets are fairly easy to kill except for 1v1 where you have to prevent the Venomancer from healing her pet. In other situations, the pets will not have impressive survival which means you'll want a pet with useful offensive skills. Since pet damage is not enough to hurt players, the most useful offensive skills are stunlocking ones and the monkey has the best skill set for that. Lastly, although I said pets aren't very tanky in group PvP, the monkey does have the best survival ability out of every other pet but I wanted to give you an explanation for why people prefer this pet for PvP over everything else.

The Monkey King is alright in PvE and frankly most Venomancers that don't have other pets just use their monkeys in all situations. However, if you care about PvE performance then... yeah, the monkey is not the best choice there is. If you can only acquire one legendary pet, you'll have to think about how important PvP is to you and how much you care about PvE performance.

The truth is that most people don't care about what pets Venomancers use in PvE so having an excellent PvE pet is not a requirement. More often than not, people buy pets like the Harpy or the Battlebot simply because they are fun to play with or they buy the Hercules because they want to play solo.

Good pet skills are cheap and easy to get now so you can tame a free pet (of the ones that can evolve) and build some PvE utility pets. Derjan's Hatchling is the most popular free pet, albeit the hardest one to tame.

All legendary pets can go on water, land and air from level 1. The only exceptions are the Hercules and the Phoenix that require level 100 and need to be evolved. This is because those two were the original legendary pets in the game and their pre-evolution data probably couldn't be modified.

For the Monkey King, never delete "Rule the World" and "Heavy Load" because if you delete them your pet can not re-learn those skills ever again. You can delete and re-learn "Pounce" anytime, but I personally like having that extra stun skill. Delete "Flesh Ream" and replace it with a defence skill from the Faction Base. If you're not in a faction then you can buy the scroll at the Zoologist in Archosaur but I highly recommend to replace it with the Faction Base version because it's stronger. Here is the list of pet skills. Whether you want the magic defence or the physical defence skill is up to you. Some people choose to delete "Pounce" so they can have both defence skills on they monkey. It's all up to you.

Mood skills are available after you evolve your pet. There is a large variety of mood skills, but frankly most of them are outdated and they are pretty useless. For the monkey you'll want the mood Indifferent so you can get "Shadow" (50% to evade debuffs, like Assassin's Tidal Protection) and "Spirit" (makes pet untarget-able for 8 seconds). Just reroll the monkey's mood until you get max level Indifferent which will appear like this: ★Indifferent. Do not confuse it with ☆Indifferent (hollow star), that one is a lower level but it's likely the one you'll have to settle with for a long time unless you get very lucky and roll a full star (max level) early on.

Please note that mood skills are tied to the pet's mood. You cannot pick X skill from X mood and Y skill from Y mood to make your own skill set. You either get X mood with X1+X2 skills or Y mood with Y1+Y2 skills.
    Would like to ask for several tips as well from venomancer veteran players out there. Anything that can help me at all is much appreciated.

To be honest, this forum is not very active anymore but we have a PWI fangroup on Facebook. You are likely to find more answers there. There is also a link to the PWI discord fangroup and such.​​
  • eelion
    @heero200 I think my post got caught by the filter as well. monkey-44.gif​​
  • raizelix#5523

Honestly I dont think this is a big deal for you for now, though I guess it might be depends on rest of your gear as well (cards, star chart) However, from what I've seen citrines seems to be the most populair choice. I think as long its not your main gear, stick with whatever you find that cheapest and save the coin for your future r9.

Monkey is best for PvP for sure, no doubt! I own 4 out of 6 legendary pets, and honestly Monkey the only one I find useful in PvP. However, he's pretty useless in PvE. Highly recommend Harpy for that. Best choice I ever did on buying a legendary pet, just saying.

I actually don't know, haven't heard about these changes. Rare pets isn't really a big thing anymore anyway.

Delete Flesh Ream for either magic defense buff or physical defense buff (from faction base).
    You could also delete Pounce (can always relearn if you regret) for the other buff to have both defense buffs.

50% chance to evade debuffs (cc, dots, pets very vulnerable to dots!) and a 8 second self untarget buff.

Thank you so much for giving me your answer @copy1#8039. One question though, for the harpy what skills should I get as well as mood skills if I'll be mainly using it for PvE?
  • raizelix#5523
    eelion wrote: »
    @heero200 I think my post got caught by the filter as well. monkey-44.gif​​

What is this filter you guys are talking about? I removed the tags I put just in case that's the one causing this problem.
  • raizelix#5523

Thank you very much for the answer @copy1#8039 . One more question though, what skills as well as the mood skills should I get for harpy pet if I'm gonna mainly use it for PvE? Since my damage always steal the aggro from my pet, I might as well make my pet full on offensive, I'm just not sure which skills are the best for that role.
  • eelion
    edited August 2019
    @raizelix#5523 Don't worry about it. The filter is to prevent people spamming with links and other stuff. Both @copy1#8039 and I used PW wiki links in our posts and the filter might have thought we're trying to spam.

Hopefully heero fixes my post, but until then you can also join the PWI fangroup on facebook. It's actually more active than these forums so you might find more help there. There is a link to a PWI discord fangroup as well.​​
  • raizelix#5523
    @raizelix#5523 Don't worry about it. The filter is to prevent people spamming with links and other stuff. Both @copy1#8039 and I used PW wiki links in our posts and the filter might have thought we're trying to spam.

Hopefully heero fixes my post, but until then you can also join the PWI fangroup on facebook. It's actually more active than these forums so you might find more help there. There is a link to a PWI discord fangroup as well.​​

Sadly, I don't have a facebook account. I'll try to make one once I have time and visit the facebook page.
  • raizelix#5523

Thank you so much for your answer @copy1#8039. One more question though, for the harpy pet what skills as well as mood skills should I must have if I were to only use it on PvE?
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,796 Community Moderator
    @heero200 I think my post got caught by the filter as well. monkey-44.gif

Done.

I can see the account are new or have not had many posts so the spam filter picks up on links. Edits of links and some words in posts.

After a few post its less active tho your find, I have days where it goes mad. You did the right thing to tag me so I can pick up on it faster tho. Any other problems let me know.

Thanks.​​
  • eelion
    @heero200 Thanks a lot! Yeah, I figured it must have been mistaken for spam since I haven’t posted from this account before even though it’s very old.
  • copy1#8039
    Harpy you would want "Rightous" (prefered) but you can also settle with "Fair" if you get that one as a filled star first.
    However @eelion made some good points about PvE performance. Getting a Harpy will be depends on how important PvE is for you, because your squad wont really care about your pets.
    Using Natural Synergy is just really, really good for pet-damage.

COPY1
  • bluedrake
    bluedrake Posts: 1 Arc User
    Another new venomancer here. In the new starting area can the monster cats be tamed? And do they have a special requirement to become my pet?
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    bluedrake wrote: »
    Another new venomancer here. In the new starting area can the monster cats be tamed? And do they have a special requirement to become my pet?

The Monster Cats cannot be tamed; only some monsters can be tamed. The only ones that can be tamed in the Celestial Vale are the Corrupted Ape, Berrywood Monkey, Dusk Monkey, and Skydrifter Parrot. You'll see a little icon next to their HP bar when selecting them when they're tameable. To tame them you'll need the skill Tame Pet. You can find some more info on taming pets on the General Pet Guide on the wiki.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com