PW wiki

2»

Comments

• obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    I've also gone through most pages - which is why many have been tagged as needing fixing. Yes a lot of people buy their way through the content but the purpose of the wiki is to inform players (especially newer ones) of the various game mechanics. For example a lot of people might nuke through Warsong, but some people might still want to know how the bosses and mobs work. I could give several examples of wiki pages that would take more than 5 minutes of work if you are writing the content yourself.

People are pretty much free to make edits to the wiki without even making an account so it'd be very hard to tell people to stop editing it for the sake of a contest.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • valdisman
    valdisman Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Yeah the ones with the table charts ie BH guides will take longer than 5 mins as a whole new table with the boss lists need to added inc links to the dungeon guides they are in.

I have never once said or tried to stop editing for the sake of a contest. I simply said no need for the contest atm as people are already starting to update. You can't run a contest to update something that is already up to date or can you not see that logic?
    I think you and saxroll will make a great couple as he makes those fast assumptions and little twists to things that are said. I'm not being drawn in a silly argument over people wanting to edit the Wiki when this thread and my posts have been about having it updated. LMFAO
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
    In a world of 10s, be an 11.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    I still stand by my statement that it will still take a very long time to update the Wiki - if you look at many other Wikis that exist, they are not completely up to date and are constantly edited on a daily basis to contain new or modified information. Ours is in pretty horrible condition compared to other Wikis. Contest or not, help will still be needed to bring the Wiki up to standards and I still see potential in having one.

Also, no need to make unnecessary jabs at me. I don't want to derail this thread with unnecessary drama so I will stop replying.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    valdisman wrote: »
    I have never once said or tried to stop editing for the sake of a contest. I simply said no need for the contest atm as people are already starting to update. You can't run a contest to update something that is already up to date or can you not see that logic?
    I think you and saxroll will make a great couple as he makes those fast assumptions and little twists to things that are said. I'm not being drawn in a silly argument over people wanting to edit the Wiki when this thread and my posts have been about having it updated. LMFAO

You do realize with the 5(?) ppl who have been editing it, its gonna take months to get everything up to date? Our wikis situation is pretty terrible and I have never played a game with as outdated wiki as we currently got. Realistically we need a competition to get the wiki mostly up to date as we are never getting it done otherwise. Not to mention we are going to have to create a lot of new content for it when expansion hits.

Ps. Its adorable you have to start insulting me when I have, again, said nothing to you at first.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,799 Community Moderator
    The reason is so out of date is because It had no one to auth the changes and was broken for a while.

I'll be happy to look over things as well but my time has become rather fully booked as of late.
  • valdisman
    heero200 wrote: »
    The reason is so out of date is because It had no one to auth the changes and was broken for a while.

I'll be happy to look over things as well but my time has become rather fully booked as of late.

Yeah although I thought I read a while back not long after Dominoes attempt at the contest that it was all rectified and sorted. I was in discussion over the changes to be made and have in depth updated guides for a lot of new areas of the game since the War Front expansion (where most of the data is lacking) but never heard back about anything. Its why I said it wouldn't take 5 mins to fix and make some guides as it'll just be a copy and paste from what I have into the existing guides.

As I said in a few posts back, many of the guides will rarely, if ever, be used because there is simply no need for them. As for the WS example, the game has gone way past having to know what certain mobs do and having everyone in the squad know just to survive like it was 6/7 yrs ago, It's now a case of 1 aoe, everything is dead. Maybe in terms of reminiscing it will be good but otherwise, I can't see a real priority need for it.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • valdisman
    edited April 2017
    Most guides in part are on there, they just don't have the admin ability when editing to be listed on the front page. If people used the search bar instead of judging from what they can only see..
    Post edited by valdisman on
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    For anyone that may want to help with the wiki, you can find a list of required updates here.​​
  • valdisman
    Got email to say the UP, FSP, Starchart guides got moved. Thanks. Will add the DUP side of it today.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • moonizu
    moonizu Posts: 10 Arc User
    Is it possible to use the Wayback Machine to restore the images? It has saved atleast some of the images.
    Example: https://web.archive.org/web/20140813022928/http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Faction_Bases​​
  • valdisman
    edited April 2017
    Yeah that is where I got all the images for the updated guide to fix the broken images. However, it can not be updated until the old ones are completely removed. I tried in the past to update but the original content needs to be removed before being replaced.

Found a way around. Updated now and should be able to see the images. The Monolith ones are slightly smaller. As I couldn't upload them as a new image due to the content already existing, I just replaced the file.

You will have to save those images, remove old content and re-upload with new pixel size if you wish to enlarge.
    Clicking the image enlarges it.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • valdisman
    edited April 2017
    https://pwi.gamepedia.com/Heavenfall_Temple_-_HFT

Got round to adding another guide. Only ever done this instance twice so most likely missing things.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Thanks for helping out with the Wiki. monkey-40.gif
    I'm not sure yet what to do with the Dungeons on the main page. Contemplating if I should split it into separate pages open world/morai/primal or just keep the entire list on one page as it is now.

​​
  • valdisman
    Thanks for helping out with the Wiki. monkey-40.gif
    I'm not sure yet what to do with the Dungeons on the main page. Contemplating if I should split it into separate pages open world/morai/primal or just keep the entire list on one page as it is now.

​​

No thank you for helping on the Wiki, I was only on it till you both came on.

I suggest splitting them. Makes more sense to have primal dungeons under a Primal tab as if you cant do primal, you cant do those instances. Same principle applies to Morai.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    @eirghan Yeah that was super weird how they did it! I was able to keep my name and link my existing gamepedia account with Twitch (took a couple of tries to remember which email I had created a gamepedia account with)

Didn't we have a wiki editing competition a while back? If the prizes a worthwhile (maybe some Dragon Orbs, a special title, exclusive mount/pet or Ancient Gifts/Event Gold/Zen) would people be interested in doing a massive update? I could obviously try and plug in some things when I have the time, but definitely can't hurt to have player contributions!

Last wiki contest was worthless since it had people upload a zillion low effort 'guides' that weren't linked from anywhere and were impossible to find. If there is a contest it should emphasize improving existing content or helping to contextualize or catalog information.

I did some work into a few pages but a lot of it was ruined by successive site updates. For like two years the images on the wiki were missing and it was impossible to login. It does seem to be behaving well now though.
    ​​
  • nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    I'll copy and paste ini editing guides and do work for that on the wiki since I seem to be one of the last players on pwi that fully understand ini editing ;P
  • valdisman
    asterelle wrote: »
    @eirghan Yeah that was super weird how they did it! I was able to keep my name and link my existing gamepedia account with Twitch (took a couple of tries to remember which email I had created a gamepedia account with)

Didn't we have a wiki editing competition a while back? If the prizes a worthwhile (maybe some Dragon Orbs, a special title, exclusive mount/pet or Ancient Gifts/Event Gold/Zen) would people be interested in doing a massive update? I could obviously try and plug in some things when I have the time, but definitely can't hurt to have player contributions!

Last wiki contest was worthless since it had people upload a zillion low effort 'guides' that weren't linked from anywhere and were impossible to find. If there is a contest it should emphasize improving existing content or helping to contextualize or catalog information.

I did some work into a few pages but a lot of it was ruined by successive site updates. For like two years the images on the wiki were missing and it was impossible to login. It does seem to be behaving well now though.
    ​​

Yeah the problem with the guides when you upload them is you are unable to create under a title header or stick it onto the main page without site admin permissions. You need to use the search function which for an edit contest, it way too much work.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    @asterelle What about if people link to the page that they're working on during that time?

And we will eventually need new pages on the new content as well.

That's why its hard to weigh contributions in such a way that it will still encourage users to participate but correctly measure their contributions. I think its because the wiki is no longer being hosted by us but by Gamepedia that could have resolved alot of the old issues. (Or at least I assume it was hosted by us in the past, though I could be wrong)
  • valdisman
    I know back a couple years ago FrankieRaye was considered the main admin on there. Can not remember if they owned it. I have no idea where my admin listing went yet I still have access and admin powers on there so maybe there is a problem on the listings which due to that wiki never being needed, never was been flagged when Gamepedia became hosts?

#kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker