ARC Firefox plugin with outdated FLASH breaks websites.

Yeah, why the hell is there an automatic plugin for Firefox?

And why does it force install and use an outdated Flash player?

I spent over 4 hours trying to troubleshoot firefox, even going as far as disabling the STUPID ARC plugin, resetting Firefox... when the problem was the ARC installation itself.

Oh, by the way. This Forum Software is absolutely freaking horrible... and if the game wasn't so old that it drives players away, this forum format can't be good for online participation.

Way to kill yourself off.

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    I would recommend posting this in the Arc bug forum...
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/arc#/categories/arc-bug-reports

yeah, both Arc, and the forum are pretty unbearable.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mynamewasstolen
    mynamewasstolen Posts: 56 Arc User
    after some dealing with this issue myself, I've found a solution that seems to be working for me so far. If you go to about:plugins in firefox address bar you will see TWO versions of shockwave flash player plugin activated. My first solution was to removed the NPSWF32.dll file from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Arc\plugins folder - restart firefox and the arc version of the plugin wasn't listed anymore, and my slacker.com worked again. BUT this isnt an ideal fix since when you launch ARC - it replaces the file in question and you're back to a broken flash install.

A better working fix (workaround) is as such:
    1. Go to your official adobe's install directory. On my computer it is located at: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\
    2. copy FlashPlayerPlugin_18_0_0_232.exe, flashplayer.xpt, and plugin.vch (the latter two might not actually be necessary to be copied, but I did anyhow for good measure since even though slacker played fine on testing without having them there -- other things might not) over to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Arc\plugins folder.
    3. You may also move the NPSWF32_18_0_0_232.dll file into this same location as well, and rename it as NPSWF32.dll - overwriting the original. Make backup copies of files you move around and/or replace just because that is always a good thing to do, and make notes of their original locations.
    4. Restart your firefox and test out flash websites. Things should be working now. Go ahead and launch arc as well if you prefer - these added files will not be removed by the arc updater, which only checks to see if files are missing or corrupt :)
    By the light of the moon, our true forms are revealed.