Languages allowed on World Chat

zoner112012
zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
So this has been an ongoing question I get asked or something people just complain about and I was wondering if a mod that knows or a GM could maybe give us a definitive answer. Are people allowed to spam foreign language on World Chat? I am aware the game is international...however our servers are based in North America. I am just curious if there is any actual rule against using other languages on World Chat? We have a very small base it seems of people that like to randomly spam chat with each other on Russian. We also have many people from Brazil that like to type in Portuguese, and I am just curious as to if there is a rule that doesn't allow this or not. This has been a longstanding argument and I would like to see it settled.
ln5aR6B.jpg

Comments

• zentfamily
    zentfamily Posts: 234 Arc User
    We won't see it settled. And other languages don't have censorship as well which leads to extremely unpleasant moments in wc.

If anything I would bet on some kind of "server etiquiette". But we all know what the wc Disgustingtons think about behaviour rules in general.

Chaos will remain.
    ZentVedr - Retired at last. Or am I?
  • zoner112012
    zentfamily wrote: »
    We won't see it settled. And other languages don't have censorship as well which leads to extremely unpleasant moments in wc.

If anything I would bet on some kind of "server etiquiette". But we all know what the wc Disgustingtons think about behaviour rules in general.

Chaos will remain.

Well that is why I asked if someone that knows the answer could respond...I have gotten answers to questions that have confused people for a long time by asking on forums. You would be surprised how much it helps to ask. The mods are fairly well versed on rules...and they can always ask a GM if they don't know for sure or have a GM respond. Would be super nice to get this question answered. I really am tired of seeing in particular the random Russian Spam on WC....they suddenly just talk all like 3-4 of them on WC like it is their faction chat and the crazy font is so hard to read around...they spam their chat and make it annoying to read anything but what they are saying.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    It botters you that much they dont talk in english? What do you think they talk about? Taking control of the world? Or what?
    Personally i dont care in what launguece they talk in WC as long is not something adressed to me.
    But it botters me when 2 or 3 squad members talk in their launguece in squad chat.
    giphy.gif

• zoner112012
    It botters you that much they dont talk in english? What do you think they talk about? Taking control of the world? Or what?
    Personally i dont care in what launguece they talk in WC as long is not something adressed to me.
    But it botters me when 2 or 3 squad members talk in their launguece in squad chat.

If you actually read what I wrote I did give very specific reasons why it bothers me and other people, however I am merely asking the question for clarity. Many people have asked me this. It is especially annoying when they are spamming large foreign letters in world chat when you know they can type english as well, as the people that do the Russian chat have chat in English as well. I agree though, when it is in squad chat it is VERY annoying.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • advoc
    advoc Posts: 84 Arc User
    The better question is whether a rule not enforced has any meaning anyways.

No idea if it changed, or why people keep bringing up the International part of the name as if that somehow confers all languages as being legitimate; but since the game started, it was officially stated that English was the server language for the game. The European one had different rules when they came about, but unless something changed English should still be the official language.

So unless there is an actual post, people are just making random things mean what they want them to mean. But back when GMs existed in game, rules were enforced; including the English language one.
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    Why don't you just blacklist them? If many ppl start doing so, they will eventually have problems finding squads and that will probably make them reconsider what language to spam in wc. And if not, at least you will get your clean chat without any "different" languages.
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    I'm fairly certain it was the rule to be English at one point, but I don't know if that's been enforced in years even to the extent "profanity" is enforced in-game. I would try finding you an exact post but you know, vanilla forums suck. I did find this but this isn't the exact post I was looking for when looking for this....Bolded emphasis is mine.

While we understand the need for what you ask, at this time, all communications for our games, forums, and emails are required to be in English.

English is the international language for business, many parts of the Internet, and many video games. Most people on the planet are multilingual, with English being their 2nd or 3rd language.

So while we'd love to offer support for other languages, we simply can not do it in the foreseeable future.

There is nothing from preventing you all from having your own forums elsewhere for your own Guild, Clan, Alliance, etc. (which I would do on my own anyways).

b:victory

They clearly added support since then for other languages, and I don't recall anyone actually muted for non-profane things in world chat. Spammers in GENERAL have been muted from world chat, though.
    ​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm fairly certain it was the rule to be English at one point​​

I checked both EULA and TOS. In the Table of Service there is nothing written about which language to use but there is a line that describes that 'some words' aren't allowed for usage:

Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees​​

This means it's allowed to use any language in worldchat.

edit: another addition:

Topicstarter wrote: "however our servers are based in North America" .

Playing on RT/HL server most of the time but should I write only Dutch language when I visit Morai server? Or how about I speak/write Chinese because of.... No wait... will only use HTML from now on because I need to connect to the server over the internet... maybe some server hardware was made in Taiwan. Hell, let's speak that language! :D
    I know most people don't like to read something in Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch or whatever other languages are used on worldchat. By using any other language than English it's only a bit harder to find a good squad or the right answer to a question. Nowadays worldchat is also used for other things and because of this most of the time I stay in factionchat myself.

Post edited by sjampie on
  • iamluckingfoco
    iamluckingfoco Posts: 158 Arc User
    A couple of the Russian "offenders" this thread is based on, on RT type in English about as well as I type in Russian, which is borderline zero. Its barely understandable. It's probably more comfortable for them to type in their native language, plus it isn't a constant thing. Sometimes it might last an hour or two, but 99% WC is Russian-free. Other than their language taking up a bit more space, and using characters that aren't the normal A-Z, it is no different than those that type in other languages.

People just need to be more open minded and understand that while RT is a NA server, it does have a global population of people from across the globe, and while most try to type in English, some know very little of it. If it bothers some of you that much, then do as others have stated. Blacklist the folks typing it.

Plus its no different seeing Russian, than a WC full of idiots slamming each other's TW factions, or stroking their little egos regarding their ability to be "pro" button mashing PvP deskchair cowboys.
    2agrqm9.jpg
    Be Strong! Be Fierce! Be Vicious!
    Vicious Marshal - Tideswell

• escapistartist
    escapistartist Posts: 32 Arc User
    I think there was something somewhere long ago, stating that for World Chat English should be used... Ruling out the EU servers back then when they were French and German respectively. Nowadays that's definitely not enforced, no more than strict monitoring and/or punishment of those who use excessive profanity.

Personally, I'd rather have foreign languages spam in WC than some of the things I see on my server daily, as if it's a cyber-ero-chat for people with too many hormones to spare.

It only really gets annoying when your squads talk in something you cannot understand, making it difficult to properly coordinate and really just making you feel like an outsider. But that is when you take matters into your own hands anyway and leave for better.
    Sheepy_Siggy.png
    (´ω`) ( °ω° )
    Woollen Fox • Ylvanie • Twilight Temple
  • zoner112012
    This post has the most informative and intelligent responses I have ever seen on here. Thank you all for the info. I really do appreciate it and love to learn and understand things like this. It piqued my curiosity and you all helped. A special shout out to venus for actually finding a post pertaining to this cuz as said vanilla forums are a pain but you found something anyways so thanks a lot. You all rock.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • mystryst
    mystryst Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Hmm.. our game is called Perfect World INTERNATIONAL.. I wonder what that means...

The only time that issue has caused me grief was back when we were running fc and the whole squad was portuguese... but since we all know how to run the instance, it was no biggy. If all else fails, Google Translate. :)
  • sjampie
    mystryst wrote: »
    Hmm.. our game is called Perfect World INTERNATIONAL.. I wonder what that means...

The only time that issue has caused me grief was back when we were running fc and the whole squad was portuguese... but since we all know how to run the instance, it was no biggy. If all else fails, Google Translate. :)

Have been in squads where English wasn't allowed but in this case the topic is for using languages in worldchat. All languages are allowed. Sometimes people abuse it to say 'bad' words that will not be translated in a few 'stars' however how about people who can read Dutch text -> the female ingame hairstyle 'Kitty Kut' just have another meaning. Was funny to see lol... I don't care about this much but it shows that all words can have different meanings in other languages.
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I vote that world chat may now only contain the Hodor language.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• shtalenkov
    shtalenkov Posts: 31 Arc User
    So this has been an ongoing question I get asked or something people just complain about and I was wondering if a mod that knows or a GM could maybe give us a definitive answer. Are people allowed to spam foreign language on World Chat? I am aware the game is international...however our servers are based in North America. I am just curious if there is any actual rule against using other languages on World Chat? We have a very small base it seems of people that like to randomly spam chat with each other on Russian. We also have many people from Brazil that like to type in Portuguese, and I am just curious as to if there is a rule that doesn't allow this or not. This has been a longstanding argument and I would like to see it settled.
    hu-hu, racist. Blacklist spamers. Thats all.
  • shade13
    If all else fails, Google Translate. :)
    Have you tried to Google Translate hieroglyphs which you can't copypast? monkey-47.gif

​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • sjampie
    shade13 wrote: »
    If all else fails, Google Translate. :)
    Have you tried to Google Translate hieroglyphs which you can't copypast? monkey-47.gif
    ​​

That's where Character Map (%windir%\system32\charmap.exe) comes in. Need to search for the right character but it can be done...unless you're talking about very old hieroglyps ofcourse..but that doesn't exist in worldchat yet. :|
  • shade13
    sjampie wrote: »
    That's where Character Map (%windir%\system32\charmap.exe) comes in. Need to search for the right character but it can be done...unless you're talking about very old hieroglyps ofcourse..but that doesn't exist in worldchat yet. :|
    Considering what ppl usually write in worldchat, I don't think such efforts are worth the result x)

​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • sjampie
    shade13 wrote: »
    Considering what ppl usually write in worldchat, I don't think such efforts are worth the result x)
    ​​

That's why I use my secret transparent code when using worldchat o:)
  • zoner112012
    shtalenkov wrote: »
    hu-hu, racist. Blacklist spamers. Thats all.

How was anything posted here racist? That is the dumbest thing I have read in awhile, and I post on FB regularly so that's saying something.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • sjampie
    edited July 2015
    Think with 'racist' he/she want to say it's best not to use English.
    Simply because he/she also wrote 'spamers'.

We should close this thread.

edit (for message below): I know that "what we think" doesn't matter. There are always people acting weird... in a forum or in a game, like on our server. Think I'll log in soon and check the other languages. ;)
    Post edited by sjampie on
  • zoner112012
    Nah it should be left up so people can find this when they want. It is good information here. Just cuz one moron tried to race bait the thread doesn't mean it isn't still viable.
    ln5aR6B.jpg