Opinion on GIF Signitures/Avatars?

dat1guyy
dat1guyy Posts: 119 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Not sure whether the old forums allowed for Gifs since I do not recall seeing any but I found out Gifs are able to be posted now. They are really nice and wonder what people will start creating and using them. I know most forums already allow for Gifs but I wanted to know other people's opinion of them especially new to the PWI forums.

We can Gif our power rankings, funny death scenes, mass Giant Bunny Pets, PVP fights, and other special moments.

Here is my one I made as an example below.

Post edited by dat1guyy on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    Old forums allowed for it, many people had gifs as signatures, myself included.

Custom (and gif) avatars, on the other hand, is something the old forums didn't give us unless you happened to be a mod or admin.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • dat1guyy
    Ah my mistake I remember your gif now. I had such a bother with the old settings that I could not upload one and had a small character limit.
  • opkossy
    Yeah. It turns was something that only got changed later on. All of the older players were much more free in what we could place in our signatures, as well as our nonexistent character limits (IE: Deceptistar's signature of quotes)
  • dat1guyy
    Speaking of custom avatars, I can't seem to upload an animated GIF as my forum avatar. I've seen a couple others having them but when I upload a GIF it becomes still unlike my signature.

I've tried shrinking the file size, the image dimensions, and sending Support a ticket but they told me they are mainly for game issues and do not have much information about the forums. They told me to perhaps send the CM a message which I am hesitant to do right off the bat so I'll ask here.
  • opkossy
    For that you'll have to upload the image via your Arc profile and ignore the forum's avatar settings (including deleting your current avatar).

Since these forums use Arc for our acounts and such, the animated gifs you'd use there would carry over but only if you don't already have an avatar set.
  • dat1guyy
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I got the forum avatar removed so it has nothing there anymore and it shows my Arc one now but when I try to upload a GIF it works but then it loads endlessly when it askes me to choose a thumbnail to crop out. the loading circle in the middle spins on endlessly even with a 50 KB .gif file that I tested.

Does it just take really long? MY ISP has 1.5 megabits per second upload speed and it been frozen loading for over 15 minutes. When I refresh the page it immediate jumps to it and my .gif never gets uploaded. I've tried it on the Arc client as well as on my internet browser (firefox). I've also tried IE but on IE, the Arc page simply won't log me in at the very start to even test it.

UPDATE: For some reason other GIFs from the internet work but not any of the ones I have created worked.
    Post edited by dat1guyy on
  • lestaroth
    lestaroth Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Opkorock, why don't you make and post a custom avatar now that you got the chance? :neutral:
    Post edited by lestaroth on
  • opkossy
    This IS my custom avatar, silly! OG question mark for life, yo!
  • lestaroth
    opkossy wrote: »
    This IS my custom avatar, silly! OG question mark for life, yo!

All right, all right, gangstamod... I'll also consider it as a memento of the old forum version. Now to find a new moniker for you... What about Incognikossy? :smile:
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    I'll have you know it was actually pretty hard to be that default!

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lestaroth
    Well, I did expect something mind-blowing from that one to celebrate the new forums. *shrugs* :neutral:
  • opkossy
    We're supposed to celebrate the new forums?

No wonder I've been doing it wrong the whole time!
  • zentfamily
    zentfamily Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Personalized avatars are nice. I made myself a stormbringer one in the old forum style. Resolution is terrible thought. I might make a better one when I get time.

Some signatures can be very distracting and/or hypnotic. Personally I have no problem with them as long as they don't take over half the page. A size limit would be nice.

Only thing trully bothering me is the username. But that's because I'm used to being a character and not an account. Some way to change that into something more pleasant would be nice.
    ZentVedr - Retired at last. Or am I?
  • ovenusarmanio
    Yeah, I miss the old avatars. I also miss my old title that Hey, You! gave me. It was a random compliment he had for me, and it made me smile.
    (A font of endless wonder for those curious/don't remember)

• eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    forum account with no actual characters on it. going strong since they broke the old forums ;)

This no bbcode from mobile sucks. Ill fix this later...

Nope can't even edit it to enable from a computer. :( All comments on my mobile are perma unbbcode
    Post edited by eirghan on
  • ovenusarmanio
    That's weird...