test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback: Boat Travel and Fishing

Comments

• ashryver#4991 ashryver Member Posts: 7 Cryptic Developer
    Hi all, I'm the environment artist on this zone. We are aware of the issues transitioning from water to land, and will do our best to address them. Thanks for the feedback.
    Staff Environment Artist

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Hi all, I'm the environment artist on this zone.

Many accolades on your work.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • srathkeysrathkey Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Fishing
    • When this comes to console (xbox/ps4), remember that a daily is used by holding the bumper and pressing another button. Please somehow make it a one button press to catch the fish as it is on PC.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for your feedback guys, keep it coming!

We have a meeting next week to give it another playtest, review everything you guys have been saying and decide what changes to make.

We were hoping the animations would make it more intuitive but it doesn't seem to be reading as well as anticipated and I believe there was one animation missing we have internally that didn't make it for the Preview release.
  • uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User

asterdahl said:

In regards to rods, you'll need to keep your sport fishing rod.

I'm not keen on this, unless it can be discarded and replaced at will.

Every time you make content that requires a tool, you are occupying one inventory slot, often on a permanent basis. We must have our black ice pick (normal or upgraded to epic), some form of trowel (some are consumable, but it's permanent if you get the epic one), a khyek (permanent unless made more like trowels), and now a sport fishing rod (permanent, but also discardable right now). Also our winter fishing rod if we're into that.

I'm not opposed to having the collection of tools and activities they support (I'm probably the type to like the new fishing if it didn't make me feel anxious that I really *should* be doing something else), and different qualities among them, but there's some merit to the accusation of being "inventory bullies".
    I think tools like this should be all be placed in your professions bag not in your inventory space.
    I totally agree with this statement, is it not a tool? Sames as trowel and black ice pick. Why do they occupy normal inventory space?
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    panderus said:

Thanks for your feedback guys, keep it coming!

We have a meeting next week to give it another playtest, review everything you guys have been saying and decide what changes to make.

We were hoping the animations would make it more intuitive but it doesn't seem to be reading as well as anticipated and I believe there was one animation missing we have internally that didn't make it for the Preview release.

we need special bag for fish
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    The rods,pick and and trowel are not part of professions, i disagree it should be kept in it's bag, however it does take some needed space on people with little amount of slots.

• bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    srathkey said:

I think tools like this should be all be placed in your professions bag not in your inventory space.

I don't have room for them in the professions bag either. If they increase the size of the professions bag sure but because I'm a masterwork crafter I've got that bag completely full most of the time.

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• fester69trollfester69troll Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ..deleted..
    Post edited by fester69troll on
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Bug: Fish buyback
    After turning in fish to the fishmonger for Elk Tribe Support, it's possible to buy the fish back from the General Store's buyback panel. However, the buyback cost seems to be the same as the Elk Tribe Support received from turning the fish in. So this isn't exploitable, but is weird. When you do a buyback, a notification flashes on your screen stating that "You Caught a Fish!". I don't have any large fish with which to test, but it might be possible to cheese the Trophy Fisherman achievement this way.

Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
    Bug: Regeneration while Sailing
    While sailing, the Regeneration stat does not provide any healing. Similarly, the Wanderer's Vigor set bonus does not provide any healing while sailing.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    panderus said:

Boat travel:

• How does sailing around the zone feel?
    • Does the boat ever not appear while you’re in the water, or appear while you’re on land?
    The sailing seems fine, as long as it keeps the path. I didn't do enough of it to know if the boat vanished at any time.
    panderus said:

Fishing:

• Is it clear how to fish?
    • Is it fun?
    • Do you feel inclined to seek out active fishing spots? (noticeable by birds flying above and splashes in the water)
    • Refer to the zone collections page for a list of all the fish and their respective biomes.
    Its not clear until you see what is happening when a fish bites.
    No its not fun. If this horrible piece of dross is the gateway to the end of the campaign I guess my alts will be getting more time unless someone needs a tank.
    Its not fun because its pointless sitting around doing nothing with no real control over what is happening or means to change it. The method of "catching" a fish is equally daft and not reliable at all. Does anyone on the team responsible for this dross actually fish?
    I'm not inclined to do anything with this horrible dross. Seek out active fishing spots? You're kidding right? You have to go looking for places that are going to work?

Look for those people who find this sort of dross fun, this is fine. Its probably even a good system for them. For those of us who would rather chew off our left arm than do this nonsense please, for the love of Zen, do not gateway the campaign behind it.

Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    There needs to be a free source of bait for this quest. If you don't have enough bait to complete the quest, your only option seems to be to spend Voninblod buying Lugworms. I'm having trouble finding a polite way of describing how unpleasant that is.
    As far as I could see from trying to fish, you don't need physical bait at all, as I had none when I attempted fishing. Bait items might offer a bonus, but otherwise, you're just pressing a key to carry out the supposed action of re-baiting the hook after a predetermined number of casts, though not after every catch. Incomplete verisimilitude.

What seems to be insufficiently clear, assuming nothing has changed from my playtest, is that you can "bait" your hook without actually needing bait.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited October 2016

As far as I could see from trying to fish, you don't need physical bait at all, as I had none when I attempted fishing. Bait items might offer a bonus, but otherwise, you're just pressing a key to carry out the supposed action of re-baiting the hook after a predetermined number of casts, though not after every catch. Incomplete verisimilitude.

What seems to be insufficiently clear, assuming nothing has changed from my playtest, is that you can "bait" your hook without actually needing bait.

You need bait. I ran out. The story quests give you some Lugworms which appear in your currency page, and the repeatable dailies give some Krill. Every cast decreases whichever bait you have set by 1, but there's no notification. You only notice the bait being consumed if you watch the currency page.

Please let us turn fish into bait, or trade fish for bait. I don't want Elk Tribe Support. I want more/better bait.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    On further reflection the first problem I have is that you are sending the general of the army to catch the food. Level 70 characters are the pinnacle of the game, by the time they get to this part of the game they have probably driven Demogorgon back to the Abyss a few times at least, and now they are going fishing? Really? Further this isn't content you can skip, because it is necessary for gathering resources and advancing the campaign.

How would that roll at your DnD table?
    Would you spend hours of your game time fishing?

Then comes the game design elements, the sense of agency that comes from good design is really missing here; to catch a fish just click the buttons in the exact order you are instructed to - why bother having a dozen button clicks at all?

When fighting a monster there are choices, daily, encounter, feature, at-will, move... these give agency and make even routine and simple fights have some value. When fishing you drive to the spot and click buttons as instructed until the fish is caught (or worse not caught), you repeat this mindless practice until you have done it enough to satisfy whatever the target was you needed. This is the epitome of boredom. The worst possible things about real fishing encapsulated in a sub-game at the end of the game.

Maybe if it was for low level characters as an alternative to just grinding monsters, but its not. Its for heroes who have undone the schemes of Valindra, defeated a god and a demon prince and are here because they have the power to save the world.

But no, apparently they are nameless adventurers who should go fishing....

Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    Bug: Swordsea Bass & Swordsea Bass
    There are two different Southern Current fish that share the name "Swordsea Bass". One is rare, the other epic. They have different icons. I suggest giving the epic one a fancier name such as "Giant Swordsea Bass".

• asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    two30 said:

Bug: Swordsea Bass & Swordsea Bass
    There are two different Southern Current fish that share the name "Swordsea Bass". One is rare, the other epic. They have different icons. I suggest giving the epic one a fancier name such as "Giant Swordsea Bass".

Thanks for your bug report! The epic bass is in fact meant to be a Giant Northern Bass! Let me dig through my notes, here it is, for you fish fanatics:
    asterdahl said:

Giant Northern Bass
    The largest known saltwater bass in the Trackless Sea, the giant northern bass is a popular trophy fish sought by wealthy fishing parties. Trade fisherman generally avoid purposefully fishing for the giant bass as the sale is often not worth the hassle of hauling one in.

• bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User

But no, apparently they are nameless adventurers who should go fishing....

Those are the same nameless adventurers who can't get relic gear to drop from Heroic encounters and are forced to sit out the content instead.

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

These are quite cool, but they're not really maps. They're more like Treasure Postcards. "Dear Mom, I hope you are doing well. I'm having a great time in the far North. We hid some supplies under the snow here. Clever, right? I'll write again when I get a chance."

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Boat travel:
    • How does sailing around the zone feel? Slow but scenic. Maneuvering tight channels/floating sea blocks, approaching giant's ships' oars and above all making U-turns are slow, clunky, and kind of frustrating (I had the green khayek). The momentum of the kahyeks feels unnatural. The artwork everywhere is beautiful
    • Does the boat ever not appear while you’re in the water, or appear while you’re on land? Works well for the most part, sometimes choppy on the transitions. Except for:
    • Water gives hypothermia instead of khayek. I found one sunken boat while looking for lodestones (4775,695) that gave me hypothermia when i entered the sunken portion (had to dodge out to sea a few times in order to get my khayek to spawn, and it ended up triggering soulforged) Intended?
    Fishing:
    • Is it clear how to fish? Not really, this thread really helped. Most confusing aspect is bait (the bait inventory, unclear when I need to re-bait, unclear how much I have or where to get more), as well as having to hold down to reel rather than press and let go. Once you get the hang of it, it's ok.
    • Is it fun? It's OK. I really enjoyed the first time an HE started (although the actual HE seems a bit much to take on without support on preview).
    • Do you feel inclined to seek out active fishing spots? (noticeable by birds flying above and splashes in the water) I tried to, yes. Overall it was OK.
    • Reeling Cooldowns. They're kind of irritating given how often the same direction pops up and you have to wait to repress. What's the justification here, I'm not allowed to react quickly to recover from my errors while fishing?
    Other Feedback:
    • Cliff Diving / Fall Damage into water. I'm kind of sad that you take a bunch of damage when you jump into the water from a height. Cliff divers do this for fun, why can't my heroic adventurer? Perhaps you could have reduced fall damage like you have in some lairs and dungeons. It's exacerbated by EF dmg (falling down cold hurts more) and no regeneration when you're in your khayek
    • Khayek design. Maybe the reason the khayeks are so slow and unmaneuverable is because their design is a little strange. The rudder doesn't appear to work, but instead flaps randomly to its own beat. Also, the stabilizers appear to be mounted upside down such that the horizontal beams would constantly and randomly cause drag as they skipped along the tops of waves.
    Post edited by dupeks on
  • firebreath86firebreath86 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    1st of all if you want people to use red or cyan please make sure the forum actually has the ability to easely select the color of your text. From left to right I have the option to make text bold, italic, strikethrough, numbered, bulleted, format, smiley, link, attachments, align left-center-right.

Not everybody knows the coding for colors ;)

Anyways.
    bug=
    When in a kayak/ship/boat you can not be queued for dungeons that require everfrost resist as it states the everfrost is to low.

After jumping off a ship while on the loadstone mission I got hyperthermia in the water for 3 seconds before my kayek spawned in
    EDIT: this appears to be related to having aggro

Feedback=

The giants on the ships with lodestones need to get glasses as I can grab 80% of the lodes without pulling them while they are within at least 10-15 distance this appears to be the case more often I see
    Post edited by firebreath86 on
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

Hi all, I'm the environment artist on this zone.

Many accolades on your work.

Seconded. Great job.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    I really like fishing and treasure hunting. It's an interesting alternative if you are tired and want to to something without the stress/risk of dying. Fish for a while, give the fish to the fishmonger for Svardborg "keys", take the bottles you found and go treasure hunting, sell the proceeds then head to Svardborg to earn your treasures. Not bad at all.
    The only issue I have is that the green khyek is a bit too slow (i know a better one can be found, but would like that one to be a zooming option like legendary mounts).
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    It would be nice if there was an easier way to cancel a hooked fish when it's of an undesirable tier. I managed to cancel by moving my khyek but this is a bit awkward.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks all for your continued feedback. Just wanted to give you all a heads up that we're planning the following improvements for the live release, some of these may make it to preview as well:
    • The ability to purchase lugworms from the campaign store will be granted much earlier on.
    • You will now also be able to purchase lugworms for gold from the general store on the main island. (You will still be able to purchase lugworms for voninblood from the campaign store should you wish.)
    For... gold?

<3

Neverwinter Census 2017

• scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Thanks all for your continued feedback. Just wanted to give you all a heads up that we're planning the following improvements for the live release, some of these may make it to preview as well:

• The ability to purchase lugworms from the campaign store will be granted much earlier on.
    • You will now also be able to purchase lugworms for gold from the general store on the main island. (You will still be able to purchase lugworms for voninblood from the campaign store should you wish.)
    This is a great change. However, you might as well do the smart thing and just remove the ability to buy lugworms with voninblood if you have your player's best interests at heart here like you seem to want to. Voninblood is way more valuable than gold is in this game, way more. So just ditch the voninblood purchase and leave only the gold option available :)
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!