test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's Just a Flesh Wound

waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 and 2

Monty Python comes to Neverwinter!

Did you enjoy Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Do you like the foundry? Then this is the campaign for you! This quest is purely OOC, an homage to the movie of the same name. In this quest you will find blatant, obvious, unoriginal references and quotes to the film and to many skits found on the original BBC show, Monthy Python's Flying Circus. Gather glorious knights about you on your epic and harrowing quest for... the Holey Graille!

Short Code:
NW-DM8GHAME2 It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1ver. 1.3
NW-DFADOS4EX It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 ver. 1.4
Author: @waryur
Average Duration: 15-20 minutes each
Amount of Combat: Medium. Is meant to be soloable.
Starts: Part 1 starts in Protector's Enclave. Part 2 start on World Map

Beta Testing both quests! Looking for feedback to improve! Will trade reviews! Thank you!

Screenshots:

flesh3_zpspdcdy3gw.png

flesh1_zpsboscujoc.png

flesh2_zpsp5r0sgaj.png

exterior_zpsuaynypdr.jpg
Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
Post edited by waryur on

Comments

• valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Very good detailed scenarios and lots, lots of fun, but maybe a bit long. :D
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I played with my level 70 DC. The maps are well detailed and imaginative. The quest is a very clever spoof. I agree with Valcontar that it should be shorter. Spoofs are better short. Maybe split it into two quests? I also noticed there were a lot of map transitions.

My detailed notes are below:

Neverember Chambers:
    -You may want to turn off the sparkle path since it wanted to lead me back around the tower path instead of into the vault.
    -in the dialogue box where Neverember says “The Holey Graille is unmistakable” the H isn’t in Mission Info yellow when the rest of the name is.

The Quest Begins:
    -we do have the new horse hoofbeat sound effects you could use during the dialogue that introduces Patsy
    -the bears are wandering a little too fast, they look odd.
    -I would recommend putting some shrubs or other plants by the edge of the castle walls to make it look like it has been there for awhile.

Village:
    -nicely detailed
    -during the weigh in timer there seems to be an invisible wall keeping the player near the scales. Unfortunately I was so close I couldn’t see much and I couldn’t back up for a better view.
    -I was a little confused as to why the witch was begging for mercy after I just fought the villagers to set her free?
    -Chester looks to be floating in the air in the window, if he is standing on something it isn’t easy to see at that distance.

Wayward Village:

-it seems like one of your water planes is glitching about right at the spawn point on this map. I couldn’t see it from the spawn direction, but if I ran forward and looked back I could see it. Maybe see if switching the water plane out helps?
    -one corner of the market stall with the poor soul next to it is floating. A shrub or something under it would cover that.

-some of the houses on the steep part of the slope need to be lowered a bit more to get all their corners on the ground. Or details added to cover the space.

-I almost couldn’t finish since the invisible wall keeping me out of the barn didn’t despawn even though I had talked to the woman who sent me there. Not sure what happened there. I found one corner where I could get in.

Dark and Mysterious Place:

-the double set of Winter Wolves were pretty nasty for a dodging class. The Witch didn’t survive long enough to offer much help.

Castle Filth Fever:
    -the bottle Piglet is interacting with is floating a little off the countertop
    -this map is very nicely done
    -the hidden traps were pretty nasty. One might be enough.

Intermission:
    -you could probably build this room in either the Castle Filth Fever map or on the Camellotte map since all the walls and floor are Thayan detail pieces. You could then have a teleporter to get out or simply despawn the walls and details to save one map transfer.

Camellotte:

-in my first response to Tim (the line from the movie) it needs a question mark at the end.
    -the map transition text is still the default “Go to Next Map” when leaving

Swamp Castle:
    -at the top of the battlements the Author’s Note has its default name of Scroll Map 02
    -the Secret Door is floating away from the castle wall

Caer Bannorrg:
    -I fell through the bridge five times which, considering the length of the quest, I found really irritating.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Melinden,
    Thank you so much for such a detailed review! I had spent way too long on building this quest and I knew I was missing things my eyes had stopped seeing.
    All my other foundries I had playtested to death to be short, to only be 15-20 minutes. I wanted to make a longer one. And at ten map transitions, yeah, overly ambitious and I agree with your point. And especially with the ramp up in enemies, it can survive being 2, or even 3 different quests.
    In response:
    NW Chambers - Will update.
    Quest begins - Didn't have that hoofbeat when it was completed. Good to know. Thanks!!!... and I had put grass and shrubs at the base for that reason. But obviously not enough! I will go add some more.
    Village - there is an invisible wall. There are mob timers to make the scales work. However, if player backs away, the timers stop working. An invisible wall to prevent the player from getting out of range of the mob timer was my only way to fix it. Recently learned of under terrain timers, literally after I was all done, that I hope I can make work here. Witch - great point. missed that. will change the narrative to fit either ending... Chester is broken. Sometimes he floats. Sometimes he doesn't Haven't figured that one out yet. Adjusted him to death.
    wayward - Will play with water plane, turn off its collision... and more floating buildings? Blast my eyes. Thank you. Thought got them all sunk enough. ...invisible wall issue will address. others didn't report it, so hoping not a random bug.
    dark and mysterious - I'll look adjusting difficulty. Good to know.
    castle filth fever - the mod 6 upgrade in traps did make that bit tougher.. will revisit scaling it.
    intermission - Great point about the map transfer... will work on it. if only we could copy/paste the parts we want instead of a new rebuild of at least one area. :)
    Camellotte - Thank you for spotting these!
    Swamp Castle - Thank you for spotting these!
    Caer Bannorrg - Just know, if you had chosen the right answer the first time, you'd avoided falling the other four times. ;) Considering everything else re:length, I'll think of shortening it to three.

Thank you again for such in-depth feedback. Truly appreciate it. Let me know if there is a quest of yours you'd like me to run for you.
    edited May 2015
    Here is my thoughts on the final bridge. Now keep in mind it was much later than I wanted to be up at this point and I was desperate to get to bed:

I was surprised none of the option were movie options but from the sketches. I went through each response once. Each response seemed to have the exact same response from the bridge keeper. So I knew it should have been 3 or 5. But when I'm testing I test every response since I do that with my own quests.

Anyway, it was late and I was really unhappy. If there isn't a clue in a line of dialogue that I missed, I would recommend adding one.
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for your honesty. I'm feeling your frustration.
    Every response is exactly the same from the bridgekeeper. So you wouldn't know if you gave the wrong answer or not until you crossed the bridge. ... Couldn't think of another way to incorporate players being tossed off the bridge to their death for giving the wrong answer. .. I'll have to think of rescripting that dialogue towards movie lines and not sketches, reducing number of options. My attempt at tension is more frustration than anything, it sounds like.
    Thanks again. I truly appreciate this.
    I've withdrawn the quest to make many of these changes. Should be back up next week.
    edited May 2015
    Some it comes from the fact that Author-Reviewers are looking for different things. Since we've had detail collision problems in the past when someone sets up a trap using collision it isn't always clear if it is intended or not. Regular players may not know that.
  • arkanargearkanarge Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ahue ahue huehue
    Pls play my quests :C
    - A World of Wonder ( NWS-DAT9OXYQL )
    - Easterden Horror ( NW-DTIKVUOC3 )
    edited June 2015
    Fixes:
    Original quest divided into two quests, five maps apiece with each being about 15-20 minutes if you read everything.

See original post for quest short codes.

Part 1 fixes
    Neverember Chamber - Added sparkly trail, fixed asset height, fixed dialogue
    Quest Begins - Added hoofbeats, slowed down bear patrol speed, added shrubberies. Also changed base monsters to lower difficulty and changed animations.
    Village - Complete rework of scale timer and removed invis walls, changed witch dialogue, still can't fix floating Chester.
    Wayward Village - Reworked invis walls/objectives for barn, added barricade assets to hide water plane glitch and have companions spawn elsewhere, adjusted floating bldgs and added assets to hide floating where needed.
    Dark and Mysterious - Slowed down wolf patrols. Ended part 1 here.

Part 2 fixes
    Castle Filth Fever - removed some traps, cleaned up dialogue, added intro message
    Intermission - No changes, kept as a map transition.
    Camellotte - fixed dialogue, changed some effects
    Swamp Castle - Making door flush made it uninteractable (due to map limitations) so readjusted appearance, added some effects. added respawn point. had companions respawn in different area.
    Caer Bannorrg - Reworked dialogue to three responses, clearer hint to players about the bridge.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hey waryur. I jumped right into Part 2, since you've already got a few plays for Part 1.

I was enjoying the castle filth vibe very much, but I was not able to finish the quest. When the objective "Run to the Exit" came up, I ran, but all 12 or so demons followed me to the exit door, which I couldn't open because I was in combat. Tried to fight them, but they overwhelmed me. Respawned, still couldn't kill them fast enough at the respawn fire.

Some minor things I saw:

--In the "what's happened before" info screen, "plague-ridden" should be hyphenated, and "endeavored" is misspelled.

--Zoot's pathing to the bedroom is very linear and all-right-turny. Can you make her follow a more curved, natural path?

--Lying down in the bedroom...I ended up on the floor, not the bed. Maybe move the interactable so the player has to be on the bed to reach it.
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for playing Winterswitch!

-The mob is set up so three things happen 1) you're able to outrun them 2) they aggro NPC's and only a few follow 3) they all attack you and either you can kill them all or die and respawn... but not happy came through the door to the respawn fire. Crud. ... Will create more distance between them and respawn campfire. Aggro range for mobs in foundry got bigger.
    -Thanks for the dialogue corrections!
    -I'll try to curve the patrol pathing, good idea.
    -Playing with the height is tricky, so I decided to bury it in the bed. Those that jump on the bed lay down on it. Will play with it more.

Will pull to fix. Thanks!
    Fixes to Part 2 of It's Just a Flesh Wound (ver. 1.4) NW-DFADOS4EX

-added more distance between respawn fire and mobs in Castle Filth Fever
    -Fixed and added descriptive dialogue in multiple areas
    -curved patrol paths
    -Added more description items to add ambiance
    -Added more decorations to swamp and camellotte
    -Made sparkling paths in Swamp clearer to follow, removed teleporter and added another way to climb instead.
    -added more music and sound effects
    Republished parts 1 and 2, and going to submit for featuring.
    Any and all feedback will be appreciated before it gets submitted. Thanks!