test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

For whom the bell tolls...

drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
So...

Many of you have posted in this forum, all over the place, about nerfing this and nerfing them and nerfing that. Now that something has been nerfed that many did not think deserved to be nerfed all hell breaks loose.

The reason that I used the famous line as a title is for one reason...

When we choose to complain about what others have because we are envious... do not complain when that bell tolls for you. Pallies will adapt, CWs will adapt.

Were they both playing their roles? NO.

A CW is a controller first and striker second.
A pally is a Leader/Defender and controller.

CW, I am sure, was not supposed to be a tank or DPS first. A pally was not supposed to be DPS.

Things may, actually, be returning to WAI.
ez0sf4K.png
Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
SYNERGY Alliance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Things have to be WAI from start till end. Not return to WAI.
    Tr will adapt even easier. Be invisible, invincible, uncontrolled, untouchable, dealing extremelly huge dmg. I would adopt this role with easy.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    agreed.

I see the same CWS who said the mod 6 SW nerf was a good thing, are now crying rivers since they lost storm spell. we adapted, so will you

the bell tolls
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ok lets bring gwf and sw damage in line with tr dungeon damage? sound good?
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Sounds excellent
  • Options
    smellykuntismellykunti Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2015

i'm all for this. my GWF could use some loving. IV sentinel really needs love.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't think you get the joke or think I'm talking about pvp when I clearly said dungeon. If you are a gwf getting outdamaged by a tr in a dungeon maybe have a look in the barracks.
  • Options
    zephyrpillar1zephyrpillar1 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    TR had it really rough for a few modules so lets not jump up and down on the poor old tricksters.
    I remember for a long, long time that they were basically the only class left out of almost everything because of the lack of anything to contribute.
    They got stomped in pvp.
    They were never accepted into parties on dungeon runs because they had no damage.
    Stealth - yes.
    Damage - yes.
    But the bell will toll for tricksters again.
    Until then, im going to lap it up. Its nice being at the top.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    you miseed the 'IV Sent' part^^^
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    drkbodhi wrote: »

I find it funny when people say this. The CW Action Point tooltip states CW's gain action points when they deal damage, but perhaps that is wrong. Who knows with tooltips, they are like a cryptic puzzle.

Funny you mention that title, I'm currently reading that book, so don't spoil the ending, or whatever.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    IV Sentinel's not damaged based at all... It's about Threat Generation silly! You want DMG on a GWF, play SM/Destro. Also RTFM
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    you miseed the 'IV Sent' part^^^

Nah I didn't
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't think you get the joke or think I'm talking about pvp when I clearly said dungeon. If you are a gwf getting outdamaged by a tr in a dungeon maybe have a look in the barracks.

I agree.

I know of one TR, in CA, who will out DPS the SW and comes close to beating the GWF... and he is not BiS. Every TR sees that they have a different role in the game. He sees that he is about DPS. I would like more DPS but I like control and I move around lot... maybe too much.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I smell wildly inefficient builds
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    each class has different paths they can take. The IV sentinel path is supposed to be an off tank. the OP wasn't talking about just DPS, he was talking about playing the role for which you are building

as an Off Tank it would be nice to be able to actually tank. IV sentinel, as a build, is broken with all the damage given out in Mod6. you can't PvP with it, you can't do dungeons with it. its a broke build. so it either needs to be redone or removed.

thats the point i was trying to make.

I know all about SM/Destroyer builds being DPS Gods. i was one. but in mod4 i switch to IV/Destroyer for a little PvP. and i was still viable in PvE. now the build isn't viable either place. So, about 4 days ago i switch to SM/Destroyer. now i do about 80-90M damage in Tia. i'm viable again.

but thats not the point. the point is that based on current changes we are all being pigeonholed into a single optimal build. and if you pick any other build you are gimped. And if you can't see THAT, then ... i don't know.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Getting to the most efficient build is just how mmos are. You can play I'm a special snowflake with my unique way of playing but you just hobble yourself. Been there done that. Talk in the barracks says that IV can be pretty decent, certainly in the main build everyone is copying.

In general though I agree. Getting a word like like leader or striker and tying yourself to it like it was a mast is probably not a good way of conceptualising the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I smell wildly inefficient builds

That isn't it... the SW prior to the nerf was doing 40 million and actually has the largest crit I have heard about... 4.7 million. The GWF does insane DPS... normally. When they are competing with a skilled MI/Exec the sky is the limit.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I once saw a man crit lastmauth for 30 million, feytouched is a hell of a drug. Short fight.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ph33rm3 wrote: »
    Sounds excellent
    i'm all for this. my GWF could use some loving. IV sentinel really needs love.

After working my TR and CW through the Mod 6 grind, I resurrected my GWF. He has the DR boons, but only the first two Shar boons, and that is all. I did this because I saw a lot of GWFs plowing through Cloud Giants when my TR and CW were there.

I can attest, the GWF is alive and well. Mine survives better and does more damage than my TR and CW could do.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    myowmyow wrote: »
    After working my TR and CW through the Mod 6 grind, I resurrected my GWF. He has the DR boons, but only the first two Shar boons, and that is all. I did this because I saw a lot of GWFs plowing through Cloud Giants when my TR and CW were there.

I can attest, the GWF is alive and well. Mine survives better and does more damage than my TR and CW could do.

definitely true. even as in IV/Sent my guy did very well against the cloud giants. but i went back as SM/Dest and it was even easier. GWFs are awesome in PvE.

edit.....

its in the dungeons that GWFs are lacking though. in my opinion.
  • Options
    baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm glad you all hate the CW for DPS. I understand that's not their role. But thanks to nerfed abilities and stupidly powerful CC resistance, my CW can't control anything for very long. I have my cw with a 60% CC bonus, and I still can't hold mobs in a dungeon for more than 1-1.5 seconds. If you want us to control, I'm all for it. But the sad fact is my DC controls better than my CW. Either bring our controlling capabilities in line or loosen the CC immunity.
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm glad you all hate the CW for DPS. I understand that's not their role. But thanks to nerfed abilities and stupidly powerful CC resistance, my CW can't control anything for very long. I have my cw with a 60% CC bonus, and I still can't hold mobs in a dungeon for more than 1-1.5 seconds. If you want us to control, I'm all for it. But the sad fact is my DC controls better than my CW. Either bring our controlling capabilities in line or loosen the CC immunity.

and the CC nerf, if you remember, was caused by 5 man CW parties running the dungeons. or in come cases 1 man CW parties running dungeons. the CC was identified as being too powerful in conjunction with the damage output of the CW. so they removed the Control from the Control Wizard. and now they have removed some of the DPS from the wizard. i agree. they should add back some control.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    and the CC nerf, if you remember, was caused by 5 man CW parties running the dungeons. or in come cases 1 man CW parties running dungeons. the CC was identified as being too powerful in conjunction with the damage output of the CW. so they removed the Control from the Control Wizard. and now they have removed some of the DPS from the wizard. i agree. they should add back some control.

I agree 100%. Which may mean that the best solution is to return each class to it's original state
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    its in the dungeons that GWFs are lacking though. in my opinion.

Ahh. That could be true - I have VERY limited dungeon experience these days . . . :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    unstablevikingunstableviking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why nerf ANYTHING?? Why not adjust toons UP instead of down? Each class is NOT suppose to the same in DPS, Threat, Range, Control, heal. That is the beauty of each class, they have different roles to play,with different weapons and different skill sets that are meant compliment other classes. I see this nerfing trend as nothing but bad. I mean, why don't they just get this over with, give us only cloth robes and a stick and be done it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I agree 100%. Which may mean that the best solution is to return each class to it's original state

Not many gwf would thank you for that.

I will make the same joke again since we are talking about strikers again. Should sw and gwf damage be reduced to tr levels of damage (excluding some exceptionally strange run you can think of). If you think that sounds stupid and bad maybe we should get not too hung up on the roles.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That is the beauty of each class, they have different roles to play,with different weapons and different skill sets that are meant compliment other classes. I see this nerfing trend as nothing but bad. I mean, why don't they just get this over with, give us only cloth robes and a stick and be done it.

LOL - not a bad idea for PvP . . . :)

• Options
    nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So...

The reason that I used the famous line as a title is for one reason..

It doesn't matter....as soon as I saw the title of the thread, that's all I heard was Cliff Burton's bass line...

:-)
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    JWiQpHK.png
    Best TR I've ever encountered vs. my back then 3k GWF (both had LoL-set)
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So...

Many of you have posted in this forum, all over the place, about nerfing this and nerfing them and nerfing that. Now that something has been nerfed that many did not think deserved to be nerfed all hell breaks loose.

The reason that I used the famous line as a title is for one reason...

When we choose to complain about what others have because we are envious... do not complain when that bell tolls for you. Pallies will adapt, CWs will adapt.

Were they both playing their roles? NO.

A pally is a Leader/Defender and controller.

CW, I am sure, was not supposed to be a tank or DPS first. A pally was not supposed to be DPS.

Things may, actually, be returning to WAI.

wizard is ABSOLUTELY supposed to be DPS, not sure where you get the idea it isn't..

anyway LAST time CW was nerfed they INCREASED Spell Storm to make up for it!

they also increased Icy Terrain, and then people cried ZOMFG PERMA FREEZZE!11111 so they nerfed THAT!

so now apparently CW aren't supposed to be DPS, and aren't supposed to be control... #SMF

it's fine, CW have been nerfed like 7 times now, they will find something else OP... then that will be nerfed.. and on and again and over and over..
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rinse and repeat