test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A simple matter of respecting each other.

samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like to ask everyone here, to show some common respect to fellow players. We should be polite to people who speak languages other than English. Some English speaking players get upset for their lack of understanding and end up insulting others. I speak both English and a bit of German (Deutsch) but there is something we should let the players know.

If you speak the language, and they are seeking language support, tell them about this;

If they speak only German, go to your custom chat options and join deutsch channel. For French only, it is fancais and Spanish is espanol.

I don't care for people hating on others just because of a language barrier. They really need to grow up and put away their smelly diapers. If you see someone struggling to get the attention of their fellow countrymen these channels exist but are not common knowledge. Spread the word and end the hate.

Thanks, Gracias, Merci, and Danke!

hz48x0301
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
Post edited by sameriker on

Comments

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    for german it is /joinchannel NW german, at last, thats the only open german channel with frequent use I know. Dont expect to much. Most of the posts there are by bored ppl or someone who wants to boost his ego by showing off, but you can find a group or get help there.

Another tip, that makes the game easier for everyone, even if you dont understand any english, learn the basics. Back when we still recruited players, we made every new player learn the english class names and some basics, so they understand simple things.

Someone with no language skills and no teaching wont be able to discuss tactics, but he can use lfg and understand basic commands like 'cap 1' or 'CW take left XY' after a few weeks.

A teacher for business english once told me, if a native speaker talks down to you, bc his english is superior to yours, use your own native language. When he asks what you said, tell him 'You dont know x, well its my native language and I learned languages y, z and english, but if you never bothered to learn another language, we have to continue our conversation in english'. That should bring things into perspective.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I agree - mutual respect is important in ALL discussions here, not just those related to language barriers.

If you are being sarcastic, let it be known by using a smiley or something. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • linaduinlinaduin Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    asterotg wrote: »
    A teacher for business english once told me, if a native speaker talks down to you, bc his english is superior to yours, use your own native language. When he asks what you said, tell him 'You dont know x, well its my native language and I learned languages y, z and english, but if you never bothered to learn another language, we have to continue our conversation in english'. That should bring things into perspective.

I don't understand the disrespect - I like seeing the foreign languages in chat. French is a beautiful language and the Italians are very funny. I don't understand any German but I like to imagine they're saying something very rude. When players get aggravated by Gold-spammers in chat - then I understand it.

As a result of my own social and work interactions with speakers of English as a second language I derived my own principle, which is that the language spoken in a small group (2-3 ppl) will switch to that spoken best by the speaker with the worst language skills (similar to your business English teacher's observation - the native English speaker has the worst overall language skills), while in a large group it will switch to that spoken best by the majority.
  • linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The atmosphere and vibe in an area that is expressing respect between entities is like listening to your favorite song/tune.

But, this is humanity and everyone is in their own stage of development as physical and nonphysical beings.

To experience respect, choose to focus on what we are expressing, not the other. Ages of programming have people's internal world and state of being dictated to by others expressions which is of course related to the whole topic of "authority"
    If we are focusing on self respect then our focus is dominant on what we are doing and expressing, not what someone else is expressing, and therefore we are dictating our internal tune, not them.

Let others dance to their own tune. We have our own drummer
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    linoge63 wrote: »
    The atmosphere and vibe in an area that is expressing respect between entities is like listening to your favorite song/tune.

But, this is humanity and everyone is in their own stage of development as physical and nonphysical beings.

To experience respect, choose to focus on what we are expressing, not the other. Ages of programming have people's internal world and state of being dictated to by others expressions which is of course related to the whole topic of "authority"
    If we are focusing on self respect then our focus is dominant on what we are doing and expressing, not what someone else is expressing, and therefore we are dictating our internal tune, not them.

Well said. I have been attempting to spread this message as well.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Have NEVER witnessed any hostility over language...

You speak their language and you'll still get kicked when they take a look at your ilvl.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here is one thing that many of you may have not considered...

I played an MMORPG that was based out of Korea, actually I have played quite a few. These MMO's actually have different servers based on location in the world. One for Asia; one for Europe; one for North America; one for South America.

No one *****ed or whined when someone spoke "gibberish" in chat.

How pissed would some of you be if you were all of a sudden the minority and everyone started treating you the way you treated the people who speak "gibberish". English, is not the language of business. Though much of the population of the world speak it, along with many other languages. Only in the US can you find the largest population of a single-language speaking population.

Me... I can read a lot of languages. I can speak a bit of 3 languages... I speak one of them well enough to survive in country... and then I have good ol' Murican.

Let's not embrace stereotypes and judge other people, who are our brothers and sisters, unless we will accept that we are enforcing our own stereotype.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    linoge63 wrote: »

Wow! That is so insightful! Great summary!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    and this,if someone that can't speak english that good try to speak it or write it .
    dont go grammar <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on him/she,think first if you can speak his/her language
    if you cant you will sound stupid if the only language you can speak is english
    I can speak ,dutch spanish english and papiamentu(thats a mix of english french portugese dutch spanish)
    and I can write them too
    if the only language you can speak is english,go into a corner and cry.because the world is more than that
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    sameriker wrote: »
    I would like to ask everyone here, to show some common respect to fellow players....]

That said it all

It is a game

It should be fun

Be nice
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    I haven't really seen much abuse caused by language/nationality differences. Abuse in PE chat seems to be mostly dominated by gold spam hate and trolling, with a liberal smattering of racism and homophobia.

...erm, wasn't thtat the other side leaning towards said prejudices? :^D

jimmyhar wrote: »
    It amuses me that some days I can login and see chat dominated by crazy playground bigotry and bullying, other days it will be a relatively balanced discussion about US politics, and just once I have seen a calm discussion of the pros and cons of Christianity (yeah, OK it did eventually descend into abuse but rationality was maintained for a while).

The problem with anything on-line is the anonymity it brings and that means we lose our social responsibility. In general, folk are just ruder to each other...

Basic problem: All the people who strive to verbalize their claim for alpha status through aggression spamming. This will never stop, that is deeply rooted somewhere between the reptile-evolved and the primitive mammalian brain cores. And enhanced by a male gender chromosome...

...sorry for being sarcastically disrespectful.