test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Scheduled Maintenance - 6/4 7AM PDT (Pacific) [Completed!]

Comments

• lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i like how a 2 hour maint became a 5 hour maint, get it together seriously. or get better at estimation, this is a bit ridiculous. maybe you should instead say they will be 5 hour maints, then tell people its done early if shorter. people would be less annoyed.

Understand that technology doesn't work that way. Oftentimes, two hours is usually met. However, technology being what it is, even the most routine and mundane tasks can blow up into fiascoes. How "your job" or "this other company" does things is quite irrelevant (for those that wish to use such a rebuttal). It is what it is.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • gfalconiogfalconio Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i can wait 10 hour more, but i hope the server latency can be fixed, no more elol lagy
    PVP GF Sword Master Dominion Champion :3
    edited June 2015
    malifas wrote: »
    would be nice for a reason to why my post violated tos or why the mod feels like it needed to be removed <snipped for violation>

1. Insulting moderators--or any other poster for that matter--is violating the RoC. Read section I.

2. Use the PM system. We do not answer moderation inquiries publicly. Read section V.

Those things being said, no further response will be given to violating posts. Do keep the thread on the topic of maintenance and refrain from making inquiries about why your posts were moderated publicly.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • quaranaxquaranax Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Pretty sure the downtime is being extended just so the devs can run IWD heroics without those annoying rushers ruining everything.

• maicakatmaicakat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Did you know .... the Gateway page isn't even showing a maintenance message, it is just blank?
  • darkgods666darkgods666 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Understand that technology doesn't work that way. Oftentimes, two hours is usually met. However, technology being what it is, even the most routine and mundane tasks can blow up into fiascoes. How "your job" or "this other company" does things is quite irrelevant (for those that wish to use such a rebuttal). It is what it is.

"it is what it is" common thing sheep say.
  • gfalconiogfalconio Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    quaranax wrote: »
    Pretty sure the downtime is being extended just so the devs can run IWD heroics without those annoying rushers ruining everything.

+1000 .
    PVP GF Sword Master Dominion Champion :3
    edited June 2015
    "it is what it is" common thing sheep say.

In this case, it's also absolutely correct. Another bit of wisdom: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

However, for those that insist they can do it better, might I suggest giving Cryptic's careers page a visit?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I don't think the discussion is really about whether it should or shouldn't happen (or at least, as you intimate here, it's not particularly relevant either way), but rather that extensions such as these have become so commonplace recently (meaning the last several months) that they can hardly be considered unexpected. An occasional deployment error that delays things is a mistake - it happens. Lord knows I've screwed up a few deployments in the 20 years I've been doing software work, but if I screwed up 3 or 4 out of 7 weekly (or so) deployments, my ability to manage deployment procedures would be seriously called into question. BY ME. That, I think, is what people are a little perturbed about here: missing estimates and not meeting expectations has become all too common with Cryptic over the last 6 months.
  • never31415never31415 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think it's a management problem :

Maintenance:
    Employee 1 : 'Boss . We are up 1 hour too late but I found ' (interrupted)
    Boss : 'WHAT! Our shop ..euh game...is up 1 hour late! You are fired'
    Employee 1: ' But ' (interrupted)
    Boss : 'FIRED. GET OUT'.

Next maintenane
    Employee 2 : 'Boss. We are up 1 hour late but' (interrupted)
    Boss : 'FIREEEED. GET OUT'

Next maintenane
    Employee 3 :'Boss. we are up 2 hours late but I found' (interrupted)
    Boss : 'FIRED. THERE IS THE DOOR'

Maintenance now
    Employee 4 :' Boss. we are down and I can't find out why'
    Boss : ' ****. Your predecessors were real idiots. I'm sorry you have to handle this mess'
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I can't wait to start rushing. If they are going to give it away, I'm going to take every last bit I can carry.
    I'm not stopping until my guild bank, personal bank, and mail are full. Then maybe I'll shower :)
    edited June 2015
    kvet wrote: »
    I don't think the discussion is really about whether it should or shouldn't happen (or at least, as you intimate here, it's not particularly relevant either way), but rather that extensions such as these have become so commonplace recently (meaning the last several months) that they can hardly be considered unexpected. An occasional deployment error that delays things is a mistake - it happens. Lord knows I've screwed up a few deployments in the 20 years I've been doing software work, but if I screwed up 3 or 4 out of 7 weekly (or so) deployments, my ability to manage deployment procedures would be seriously called into question. BY ME. That, I think, is what people are a little perturbed about here: missing estimates and not meeting expectations has become all too common with Cryptic over the last 6 months.

AMEN someone with logic, that surpasses my own
    edited June 2015

The point I'm getting at is that they'll give maintenance estimates based on what they're having to do and most times, it exceeds the actual amount of time it takes to do such tasks--presuming everything goes without a hitch. However, things do happen, and sometimes they happen with more frequency than others. If you say "just grossly overestimate the maintenance estimate and then everyone will be happy!", you'll also get those that say "wow, THAT long for an estimate, how idiotic!!"
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I used to play another fantasy game with a large player base that's been around a long time. At one point, they started over-estimating the downtime by an hour or more. Eventually, the players started having fits when the game didn't come up very early. Can't win either way.

*dances off*
  • drasekrivendrasekriven Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In this case, it's also absolutely correct. Another bit of wisdom: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

However, for those that insist they can do it better, might I suggest giving Cryptic's careers page a visit?

meh dont like that answer, thats like your mechanic telling you to pick your car up at noon and when you get there and he says sorry going to be another 2 hours if you complain at all he says to you well maybe you should become a mechanic. yea we get things happen and that we cant change what is happening but understanding frustration at an already frustrating 2 months with content,balance,and bug fixes by saying quit complaining and go work for cryptic is insulting.
    edited June 2015
    The point I'm getting at is that they'll give maintenance estimates based on what they're having to do and most times, it exceeds the actual amount of time it takes to do such tasks--presuming everything goes without a hitch. However, things do happen, and sometimes they happen with more frequency than others. If you say "just grossly overestimate the maintenance estimate and then everyone will be happy!", you'll also get those that say "wow, THAT long for an estimate, how idiotic!!"

I don't agree. If a 5 hours maintenance was announced and it only took 2 hours. I wouldn't be angry at all. In fact. For the first time in months I might have something positive to say. If it did take the entire 5 hours. So be it. They did say it would take that long.
    edited June 2015

and underestimation is just as idiotic especially when its by 150% and still counting.
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2015

They just dont know how to set realistic expectations. It happens to the best of us. Darn, how often it happens to me. But when you miss the first time, you'll leave yourself more margin the next time, and then the next after that if you just can't hit it right. Cryptic just doesn't seem to learn what they can and can't do in a given amount of time. Or they are in massive denial.
    edited June 2015
    ph33rm3 wrote: »
    I don't agree. If a 5 hours maintenance was announced and it only took 2 hours. I wouldn't be angry at all. In fact. For the first time in months I might have something positive to say. If it did take the entire 5 hours. So be it. They did say it would take that long.

TY agian logic is still present here, maybe its the free zen that takes logic away haha
    edited June 2015
    meh dont like that answer, thats like your mechanic telling you to pick your car up at noon and when you get there and he says sorry going to be another 2 hours if you complain at all he says to you well maybe you should become a mechanic. yea we get things happen and that we cant change what is happening but understanding frustration at an already frustrating 2 months with content,balance,and bug fixes by saying quit complaining and go work for cryptic is insulting.

That comment was directed at those who insist, "well, this wouldn't happen at MY job!!" or "you guys are amateurs, I could do this better!!" Well then...why not put in your resume and go work for Cryptic? Otherwise, you're just being an armchair dev.
    TY agian logic is still present here, maybe its the free zen that takes logic away haha

Assumptive much? We don't get free ZEN. Do please refrain from assuming that we mods are compensated for our work, because we are not.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Inb4 "Update 4: Maintenance extended until 1:00pm PDT (4:00pm EDT / 22:00 CEST)."
  • fiddlersdeckfiddlersdeck Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meh dont like that answer, thats like your mechanic telling you to pick your car up at noon and when you get there and he says sorry going to be another 2 hours if you complain at all he says to you well maybe you should become a mechanic.

Clearly you've never had to pick up a car from the mechanic :p
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I still say OK

It is not the end of the world if it works in the end

Urlord
  • mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    *dancing in, panting heavily, sweat dripping from her body, complexion rosy from exertion*

Did *pant* it *pantpant* work yet?

*flops down in chair, still panting heavily, too tired to play even if the game is back up*
    edited June 2015
    Unfortunately not, mistressphoenix. Keep dancing!! LOL

ADDED:

Progress! The Gateway now has an "under maintenance" announcement instead of a blank page. :)
    edited June 2015
    *dancing in, panting heavily, sweat dripping from her body, complexion rosy from exertion*

Did *pant* it *pantpant* work yet?

*flops down in chair, still panting heavily, too tired to play even if the game is back up*

WOW. Purring heavily :)
  • quaranaxquaranax Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    All this waiting makes Minsc Mad !!!!!

yMl0jxy.jpg

• drasekrivendrasekriven Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    and sadly social media has made everyone armchair devs and experts. when you can post to fb or twitter etc any topic you want and state your opinion as fact and challenge someone to disagree, the forums are no different people are going to say they can do better or know more. taking offense to anyones written word on this forum is counter productive when this is all some people have to feel connected to a game that they think alienates them by not listening to them.
    edited June 2015
    Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame · 6 seconds ago
    We're almost done fending off the pit fiend. Maintenance for #NWPC will last for about another 30 minutes. Thank you for your patience.
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    All this waiting makes Minsc Mad !!!!!
    *snip*

I lol'd.
    /10char
This discussion has been closed.