test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help for a newbie cleric

upinyaslayinupinyaslayin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Temple
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some build advice. I've played about 175 hours so far but all on my rogue class, I started a healer yesterday (level 7 currently) and i want to make sure i build it right (feats, powers, stats etc)

I made a sun elf, grabbed the dragon main hand and off hand off the trade market so i don't have to worry about those until i hit 60. My main focus is CHA and WIS with a secondary on STR. I plan on putting 1 point in each CHA and WIS every 5 levels. What should i focus on? also what feats are good to use and what armor set should i focus on when i hit 60? any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Post edited by upinyaslayin on

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Check my sig.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • lilhamletlilhamlet Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You should play it however you want, although what you should get depends on what you want your focus to be with the cleric.

Critical chance affects healing as well. Personally, I would actually put more focus on strength that Charisma. Critical Strike is not nearly as easy to build as Recovery is, so the critical chance that strength gives you is invaluable, plus better stamina regeneration means dodges being more readily available.

The safe heroic feats that people will generally agree on are: greater fortune, toughness, weapon mastery, repurpose soul, & cleanse.
  • fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hi All,

I was hoping to get some build advice. I've played about 175 hours so far but all on my rogue class, I started a healer yesterday (level 7 currently) and i want to make sure i build it right (feats, powers, stats etc)

I made a sun elf, grabbed the dragon main hand and off hand off the trade market so i don't have to worry about those until i hit 60. My main focus is CHA and WIS with a secondary on STR. I plan on putting 1 point in each CHA and WIS every 5 levels. What should i focus on? also what feats are good to use and what armor set should i focus on when i hit 60? any help would be awesome. Thanks!
    I would recommend locating and reading Kaelac's guide. It's updated for Mod 5, but a lot of the basic premises are still relevant. The heroic feats and the power selection in particular are useful.

I'd also recommend STR and WIS rather than CHA and WIS.
  • upinyaslayinupinyaslayin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fizbad wrote: »
    I would recommend locating and reading Kaelac's guide. It's updated for Mod 5, but a lot of the basic premises are still relevant. The heroic feats and the power selection in particular are useful.

I'd also recommend STR and WIS rather than CHA and WIS.

Thanks Found the guide, good info there
  • flupperyfluppery Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The best is to try all skills as you level to see which fit your preferred style of play and gives you the best results. This will give you experience, which you cannot get from a guide.

Also consider if you're going to pvp. You should make a build that works in both pve and pvp. You'll most likely want to respec once you figure it all out.

The guides can help, but keep in mind they are outdated and following outdated information is going to lead you on a wild goose chase: for example Elf's Guide which says DCs can get "30% from Profound set", which is not even available anymore. Another example is GControl's guide which is no longer viable, at all. Probably the most useful guide is Kaelacs, but even that is not up-to-date.

Don't worry about 60s armor too much as it will be outdated as you level to 70 anyway.
    edited June 2015
    fluppery wrote: »
    Probably the most useful guide is Kaelacs, but even that is not up-to-date
    It's not up to date in the sense that it's Mod 5. But the important landmark here is the DC class redesign, and that is covered. There isn't much (if anything) there that has been invalidated by Mod 6. So yeah, you obviously don't go there looking for info on BiS endgame gear, but the name of this topic is "Help for a newbie cleric".
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've chosen WIS and CHA for personal reasons: action points gain and faster rotations.
    It's my style, but you may want to focus on other features.
    I think that you have to make clear what you want do at the end:
    - PvE - PvP?
    - healer?
    - buff/debuffer? What kind of buff/debuff?
    - some dps or pure support class?
    - a mix of everything or only some aspects.

The cleric is very flexible and the Kaelacs guide gives you - as the word says - some important guidelines, but not the definitive build. And yes, playing the cleric requires some training and experience before you really understand it: it's not just a healer.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
    edited June 2015
    rapo973 wrote: »
    I've chosen WIS and CHA for personal reasons: action points gain and faster rotations.
    I picked a pretty crappy stat roll way back when -- an 18/13/13 with 8(!) in INT (and I can't be bothered to reroll because I want to keep the pre-Mod3 appearance; how often do you see a H-E with full Zappa-style facial hair :P). But my impression from the new Divinity system is that I am barely ever waiting for a encounter cooldown -- thus I put more value in extra crit/dam/healing from STR and WIS. But that's just me.
  • upinyaslayinupinyaslayin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think that you have to make clear what you want do at the end:
    - PvE - PvP?
    - healer?
    - buff/debuffer? What kind of buff/debuff?
    - some dps or pure support class?
    - a mix of everything or only some aspects.

The cleric is very flexible and the Kaelacs guide gives you - as the word says - some important guidelines, but not the definitive build. And yes, playing the cleric requires some training and experience before you really understand it: it's not just a healer.

I'm going for a straight PvE build and for healing as much as possible
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm going for a straight PvE build and for healing as much as possible

My comments:
    - I would say that both AC and DO are good to heal: some clerics prefer WIS and CHA, others WIS and STR. I can only say that WIS and CHA work very well, but reading the experiences of the other players, I understand that WIS and STR work as well.
    - The faithfull is probably the easiest way to do it, but it's not the only one: the virtuous can do it as well.

You find more info about the two paths here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?943741-PvE-Faithfull-or-Virtuoso

Finally, a suggestion: think now about the other features of the cleric. You will discover that healing is just one between many and soon or later you want them :D

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Finally, a suggestion: think now about the other features of the cleric. You will discover that healing is just one between many and soon or later you want them :D

Agreed, extreme healing is good for pugging, but when you get settled into some geared teams. They are going to be looking for buffs/debuffs for quicker kills. Especially once they get their LS upto around 10% and your heals become more supplemental.
  • ellellelleellellelle Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    fizbad wrote: »
    I picked a pretty crappy stat roll way back when -- an 18/13/13 with 8(!) in INT (and I can't be bothered to reroll because I want to keep the pre-Mod3 appearance; how often do you see a H-E with full Zappa-style facial hair :P). But my impression from the new Divinity system is that I am barely ever waiting for a encounter cooldown -- thus I put more value in extra crit/dam/healing from STR and WIS. But that's just me.

I read that you aren't penalised for having a score under 10.. and I took it to mean that an 8 would mean a 10 - you won't get the associated bonuses. I can't confirm that fo rmod 6 but it is in Kaelac's mod 5 guide. The roll is still a bit unfortunate though because it means you only used 72 ab points, as opposed to the maximum 77. I think the sweet spot is around 74 though, depending on what you want. I think the mod 5 guide is still relevant in that regard. I went for 16 wis 15 str 13 cha and that gave me an extra 1 to intelligence and constitution.