test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF - Best companion, Cat or Ioun Stone of Allure?

kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Militia Barracks
With the recent clarification that Power isn't as important as we thought, compared to Armor Pen, does that effect what the best companion is for out class?

Cat has two stats: Recovery/Crit Strike and can go to level 30, w/3 offensive slots.

Ioun Stone: Power/Recovery/Crit, and can go to level 25, w/2 Offensive Slots

So is the Cat simply the way to go now?
va8Ru.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or do you suggest a different pet?
    va8Ru.gif
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wererat companion.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    CAT is best pet hands down.

But the cat is not getting the bonus from Charisma and if they fix that then cat will be even more OP.
    edited May 2013
    CAT goes to level 25 - not 30.

But at 25 has all 6 slots unlocked and 100% of the ITEMS/Enchants stats pass to the owner.

This means your CAT gives you ~260 CRT & 260 Recovery + (3) Level 60 Epics & their enchants + (3) More Enchants.

<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> OP.
    edited May 2013
    My apologies, thought Cat went to 30! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Psst... I let you in on a little secret...

You can put level 60 gear in the Cat regardless of your actual level.

/enjoy

Edit:

It's "your" not "you're"... I'm a dork.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Trick - Exactly. When I leveled up my TR at level 5 when I hit the city. I bought my CAT and filled it with my stocked gear/enchants and was OP all the way to 60. :P

Nothing like starting with tons of CRT & LS being a god.
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Trick - Exactly.

*snip*

Becareful... we might *both* get banned.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ioun stone is better.

It's cheaper, and you can get better stats from its Icon slot vs the cat's Waist slot, making up for having power instead of more crit/recovery.

Also, Power starts to get good once you have Crit, Arpen, and Recovery geared up to point of diminishing returns. Arpen in particular you don't need more than 2200 for PvE (and you can't have a companion in PvP anyway).
  • rama07rama07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    Psst... I let you in on a little secret...

You can put level 60 gear in the Cat regardless of your actual level.

/enjoy

Edit:

It's "your" not "you're"... I'm a dork.

Does this work only with the Cat companion?
    edited May 2013
    The CAT passes thru 100% of it's stats to the owner. This is why CAT costs nearly 1,000,000 AD and is the best pet in-game at end game.

All companions can use any gear but they do not pass their stats to their owner.
    edited May 2013
    rama07 wrote: »
    Does this work only with the Cat companion?

Also works with the Ioun stone (and all other companions). Also ignores any class restrictions.
    The CAT passes thru 100% of it's stats to the owner. This is why CAT costs nearly 1,000,000 AD and is the best pet in-game at end game.

All companions can use any gear but they do not pass their stats to their owner.

The Ioun stone also passes stats 100%, and costs around 750K AD or less at reasonable Zen exchange rates.
    edited May 2013
    Yep the Ioun also passes it's status but I've heard it's not passing one of it's base states. I don't remember which but everyone I play with uses CAT vs. Ioun because of the bug.
    edited May 2013
    Yep the Ioun also passes it's status but I've heard it's not passing one of it's base states. I don't remember which but everyone I play with uses CAT vs. Ioun because of the bug.

I tested it out, and everything is working as expected with mine.

Before Ioun Stone:

Power: 2658
    Crit: 2400
    Recovery: 1625

Total stats on stone (base plus gear/runestones):

Power: 164 + 161 = 326
    Crit: 165 + 469 = 634
    Recovery: 166 + 1120 = 1286

I also have a Rank 6 Eldritch stone in the Defense slot (+8% stats)

This gives a predicted stats of:

Power: 2658 + 326 * 1.08 = 3011
    Crit: 2400 + 634 * 1.08 = 3085
    Recovery: 1625 + 1286 * 1.08 = 3014

Actual stats with the Stone:

Power: 3008
    Crit: 3083
    Recovery: 3012

So slight differences, but just rounding errors really.
    edited May 2013
    The CAT gives more base CRT/Recovery around 100 points more. So if you don't need power the CAT is better choice for Min/Max.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The CAT gives more base CRT/Recovery around 100 points more. So if you don't need power the CAT is better choice for Min/Max.

Thing is if you're min maxing and have a stat companion you're most likely already at the point where power starts to become better to stack than crit/recovery.
    edited May 2013
    Show the math that power will ever be better to stack out side of ArP for PvE?

Unless you are using your CAT as a GREEN/Blue Power Stack to get as much power as possible. Are you reaching your optimal stats for ArP/Crt? around 30% CRT & 22%+ ArP, etc...?
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Show the math that power will ever be better to stack out side of ArP for PvE?

Unless you are using your CAT as a GREEN/Blue Power Stack to get as much power as possible. Are you reaching your optimal stats for ArP/Crt? around 30% CRT & 22%+ ArP, etc...?

Because once you get to those DR caps not only does it become less effective to stack those stats anymore, but those dmg modifiers are big enough for power to start to shine.

The only reason power sucks to begin with is because you have a head start with your weapon having a bunch of weapon dmg, so dmg modifiers like arpen/crit/recovery are king, then they get high enough that getting power is good.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's pretty easy to hit 30% Crit and 22% ArP lol. I have 2-4 free Offense slots with those stats.
    edited May 2013
    So mostly votes for the cat, but also votes for the Ioun Stone? lol Interesting, I mean you do gain 75ish Crit/Recovery with the Cat at the expense of 165ish power I believe... So it's a balance of what you want, as you can also pump power on the cat via enchantments also. So depends if the extra 75 Crit/Recov (total 160ish), is worth more then the 165ish power, right?
    va8Ru.gif
    edited May 2013
    Also what Runestones would you put in? The one that gives x% of stats, or the one that can give X armor pen? I'm leaning toward Arm Pen honestly...
    va8Ru.gif
    edited May 2013
    I'm currently using Eldritch Runestones for the Arm Pen that they provide. Anyone else doing the same?
    va8Ru.gif
    edited May 2013
    Also what Runestones would you put in? The one that gives x% of stats, or the one that can give X armor pen? I'm leaning toward Arm Pen honestly...

There's no choosing between those two. The % stats comes from a Defensive slot. The Armor Penetration comes from an Offensive slot.

As a TR, I put Recovery in my Stone's slots, because I care less about Recovery in PvP. Since the companion doesn't work in PvP, that means I keep most of my other stats high.
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    There's no choosing between those two. The % stats comes from a Defensive slot. The Armor Penetration comes from an Offensive slot.
    Solves that problem mi amigo, thanks! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stone is better flat out because it does not die in combat. the cat dies constantly to red aoe on the ground.
    edited August 2013
    cichard wrote: »
    stone is better flat out because it does not die in combat. the cat dies constantly to red aoe on the ground.
    Had the Stone for about 2 months now mi amigo, no worries! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • danyenginedanyengine Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cichard wrote: »

I can't understand why people say something without knowing else. I know it is an old discussione, but fact is that the cat does not die in combat, too, and I think it is better to write it down here orelse someone could read something wrong. Augment pets (stones, cat, and so on) don't die. don't attack, and can't be attacked.
    Sorry if my english is not so good.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I like my yeti. Because he's cute.

:-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whelp. This is a 2 year old thread, it's super no longer relevant, let it die please.