test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New GF here

larsalexander123larsalexander123 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Guard Barracks
what powers do you use in dungeons? and solo?

thanks a lot.

im a protector swordmaster GF btw
Post edited by larsalexander123 on

Comments

• larsalexander123larsalexander123 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yohooooooo. /10char
  • benistvanbenistvan Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iron warrior(enforced threat), knights valor, into the frey if you want max party support
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Solo most of the time I find myself using FLS (AOE CC) ET (AOE debuff) and LS (Mobility and damage). It helps to open the engagement by tab-marking whatever you want to die first so that it starts debuffed and stays that way for a while. In between lots of Cleave (again AOE) and block when and where you end up needing to. For parties it will vary a lot. ITF is gennerally good. Et is still pretty good because you can de-buff many mobs at once, even better if you are using plague, terror, or frost enchant. Some fights your role will be straight boss-tanking so you will want single-target rather than AOE. If you have lots of HP Gaurded Assault is really good because you will be blocking many high-damage attacks and so it does decent damage. In a lot of fights (end of eLOL and ToS for instance) protecting the party from directed attacks by stepping in front of them will be a signifigant part of what you do. Hope that helps.
  • rexfire91rexfire91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm actually looking for Mod 6 GF guides myself but I don't think there will be much until the power bugs get fixed. I'm a Swordmaster Tactician with a minor in Protector and at the moment I'm sitting at just over 1900 iLvl (are we still calling this gearscore?) So my dungeon advice at the bottom is unfortunately limited to T1 experience.

For solo content like Dreadring and Icewinddale I generally use:
    Enforced Threat - Large AoE with debuff and replenishes your Guard. This is important as Mod 6 requires you to spam your shield much more than before. If you use a healer companion this also helps to keep mobs off your healer.
    Iron Warrior - Can grant a nice amount of Temp HP, adds DR buff, replenishes your Guard by a lot, and it lasts awhile too. Great for keeping you alive when your health runs low or you get surrounded. For dungeons this also grants a significant boost to your aggro pulling which is handy on bosses.
    Lunging Strike - Excellent Range, Short cooldown, and high DR buff. My Recovery is enough that I can pop this every 6 seconds and the buff last 3 so about half the time I have a 50% buff to Damage Resistance. I've also feated it so that it acts as an interrupt to boot.
    I used to die all the time in IWD but with a little practice and fine tuning it's become a rare occurrence.

When doing dungeons I find myself using these same skills a lot, although sometimes I'll switch one out for Into the Fray. Enforced threat becomes very useful as it's your only hard taunt and debuffs all monster allowing your teammates to deal significantly more damage.

But what really keeps me alive during solo and dungeon content are the feats Martial Mastery and Action Surge which allow me to gain AP fast whether my Shield is up or down. This is critical as it allows me to pop Fighter's Recovery whenever my Health gets uncomfortably low. Combine the daily with Steel Defense and for the first few seconds you're immune to damage making it easy to reach full health ASAP (I find that using the at-will Swordmaster strike on mobs heals me the quickest since it's such a great AoE). Then I rely on potions, my shield, and iron warrior to survive while my AP bar refills, which, thanks to aforementioned feats, usually doesn't take long. If you got a DC or Devoted OP in your party be sure to work together as it makes things so much more manageable.
  • xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Enforced Threat - Aside from the damage/debuff this gives to enemies around you, the most important reason to use it when playing in a proper party/group is that it taunts to make enemies attack u, which is half the purpose of being a tank class.

Knight's Valor - This can be an alternative to using Enforced Threat or in combination with as it builds threat when others get hit, which will help redirect them to u as well as of course reducing damage people take. However this is mostly useful for majority melee groups as ranged people shouldn't be getting hit enough for this to have enough effect.

Knight's Challenge - Not tested this in Mod 6 but this use to be quite useful in certain situations like tough bosses that are capable of attacks that can hit the whole party, e.g. Dragons. It forces the target to attack only you for a short time and reduces damage it does to everyone but you. However if end content bosses are as tough as people say I would be concerned this skill would now just get us killed as it causes the target to do double damage to us.

Bull Rush/Lunging Strike/Line Breaker Assault - These skills are useful gap closers and now in Mod 6 have the added effect of increasing your DR for a short time, which is quite helpful (although I am not sure if Bull Rush does) and as a tank, mobility is important. I prefer Bull Rush most times as it can give you breathing room when surrounded since it knocks an enemy away from you.

Commander's Strike/Into The Fray - Useful for assisting the party for added damage, but I wouldn't replace something like Bull Rush or Enforced Threat for it.

At-Wills - Personally I prefer Crushing Surge and Weaponmaster's Strike as it gives a good combination of single and multi-target. For longer fights against a single target, i.e. a boss I would replace WMS for Tide of Iron as you may well need the stamina recovery.

Passive Skills - My preferred choice when tanking in a group would be Steel Defense, which can be a life saver and Enhanced Mark, which greatly improves your threat generation so less having to chase after enemies attacking another player. When not in a group I would replace Enhanced Mark for something like Steel Blitz.

Hope that helps :) I am also a Swordmaster Protector GF as well btw.
  • pa1nk1ller1989pa1nk1ller1989 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Enforced threat. Into the fray . Knight's valor. On syndrith I swap ET for lunging strike for mobility and extra DR. Dailies fighters recovery . If sworxmaster featz are guarded assauly steel defence. On bosses swap guarded assault for shield talent just to be on the safe side. Solo I currently test: ET. commander strike. ItF feats guarded assault and perhaps steel defence
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Man... I really loved my protector/Iron Vanguard build (Love frontline surge). Is it really useless now or is that just a matter of opinion? I mean, I can hold up pretty well with my old lvl 60 purified black ice gear at the moment, but I'm only at lvl 64. I hear about people getting one-shotted though shields and that seems crazy to me. Is steel defense really the only way to stay upright?
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • pa1nk1ller1989pa1nk1ller1989 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    discorice wrote: »
    Man... I really loved my protector/Iron Vanguard build (Love frontline surge). Is it really useless now or is that just a matter of opinion? I mean, I can hold up pretty well with my old lvl 60 purified black ice gear at the moment, but I'm only at lvl 64. I hear about people getting one-shotted though shields and that seems crazy to me. Is steel defense really the only way to stay upright?

no but is ALOT easier with steel defence now
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    SM Conq here:

Dungeons:
    features: Shield talent ,Steel Defense.
    Encounters:Lunging Strike(for the 50% DR),ITF,Knights Valor.
    Dailies:Villain's Menace,Fighters recovery

Solo:
    features:Combat Superiority,Steel Defense.
    Encounters:Lunging Strike,Flourish/Knee,Anvil
    dailies:Villain's Menace,Terrifying Impact
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm seeing a lot of people talk about going tactician, but I feel like protector/swordmaster might still give me an edge as a tank. Looks like I might have some testing to do on preview. I dunno though... if tanking in dungeons at 70 is that borked I might just go conqueror and stick to PvP.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    discorice wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of people talk about going tactician, but I feel like protector/swordmaster might still give me an edge as a tank. Looks like I might have some testing to do on preview. I dunno though... if tanking in dungeons at 70 is that borked I might just go conqueror and stick to PvP.

LOL. I am tanking the T2s with a conq. You have to be quick to react and lag can kill you but it is a lot of fun. Basically I'm going back to the old-school conq fighting from early Mods where you walk away from some hits and cycle attacks on dailies.