test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LAG Issue

raistlintaoraistlintao Member Posts: 324 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
First, I d like to post this:

2.png

[17:01] [System Notify] Successfully submitted ticket ID #3,417,847.

Just to clarify, I m a software project manager with CCNP certification.
Now let's have a discussion about the 'LAG'
In online gaming, lag is a noticeable delay between the action of players and the reaction of the server. Although lag may be caused by high latency, it may also occur due to insufficient processing power in the client.

---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

In case someone point to my PC, I d like to show workstation hardware list below:
INTEL CORE i7 5960X
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
16GB KIT 2400 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X * 2, so total 32GB memory
R9 290X 4GB GIGABYTE OC * 2 Crossfire

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1T

The build-in lan chip is:
Intel® I218V, Gigabit LAN Controller(s), featuring GAMEFIRST III

The router I m using now is
Cisco WAP551

The connection between PC and Router is class 6 cable, not wireless.

The ISP is Optus

I also playing WoW and Diablo 3. both have no problem at all.

Now, if I entering in Neverwinter in PE, the range of '/netgraph 1' result is
PING: 300
SEND: 40 - 200 (UNPACKED)
RECV: 200-2000 (UNPACKED)

During end-boss battle in and epic Shores of Tuern or epic LOL, the average result is
PING: 400
RECV: 200-20000 (UNPACKED)

Dragon HE in WoD
PING: 500 - 2000+
RECV: 500-20000+ (150000+ UNPACKED
)

I understand the amount of data during Dragon HE is large, thats including but not limited to:
Players position
Players attack calculation
Players defend calculation
Monsters aoe calculation
Monsters defend calculation
Buff/Debuff calculation

The game will get some slow motions at first. At that time, if a DC use astral seal on dragon, the calculation will be doubled since all attacks from players will give back some amount of HP to players.
Then my RECV packages will reach a large number, and the game is completely frozen.

You can move your character (but it will re positioning you back to original location), use encounter power or at wills (but no number pop up from dragon).
The time on the right is also frozen.

If players got wiped, then the game will return to normal, however if your team is good, then you will got a disconnection.

To be honest, I already lower my configuration including:
shadows, lighting quality and max lights per object
and all graphic setting are minimal.

BUT I KNOW THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH LAG.

I dont blame this on DCs or OPs, I do think this is server side problem instead of client side. And I do believe some algorithms within packets pack and unpack must be rework.
In mod 5, small lags are fine since we can kill the monsters easily, however, with such lag, we cant even handle adds in mod 6 epic dungeons .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are only 2 things here, its been like this since beta and so lag is based on these 2 things.

1. Game engine is so old that it has serious limitations which cannot be overcome with an easy or maybe cost effective way.

2. COgent, cryptic's provider bandwith handler, cheapass company for cheap bandwith which frequently clogs.

Nothing u can do, nothing they can do, only Tiamat knows.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    matiagronx wrote: »
    There are only 2 things here, its been like this since beta

2. COgent, cryptic's provider bandwith handler, cheapass company for cheap bandwith which frequently clogs.

Nothing u can do, nothing they can do, only Tiamat knows.

I've played this game since the very first day of open beta and the lag inside instances has never ever been as bad as it is now , blaming cogentco is a lazy excuse and unless cogentco has some way to tell when you are in dungeons and the new areas and when you aren't then it isn't down to them because I suffer no lag in PE and the older maps but when I go to Spinward rise , the firey pit or any of the T1 instances I lag like crazy as do many others so no it isn't cogentco this time.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015

2.png

In case someone point to my PC, I d like to show workstation hardware list below:

Cisco WAP551

The ISP is Optus

During end-boss battle in and epic Shores of Tuern or epic LOL, the average result is

Dragon HE in WoD

)

I understand the amount of data during Dragon HE is large, thats including but not limited to:
    Players position
    Monsters aoe calculation
    Buff/Debuff calculation

The game will get some slow motions at first. At that time, if a DC use astral seal on dragon, the calculation will be doubled since all attacks from players will give back some amount of HP to players.
    Then my RECV packages will reach a large number, and the game is completely frozen.

You can move your character (but it will re positioning you back to original location), use encounter power or at wills (but no number pop up from dragon).

If players got wiped, then the game will return to normal, however if your team is good, then you will got a disconnection.

I dont blame this on DCs or OPs, I do think this is server side problem instead of client side. And I do believe some algorithms within packets pack and unpack must be rework.
    In mod 5, small lags are fine since we can kill the monsters easily, however, with such lag, we cant even handle adds in mod 6 epic dungeons .

Awesome! I always love to read what a real expert has to say about various topics!

And your system (and wired connection) is beast! You should definitely have no PC/connection induced lag on your end!

I'll never blame Cogent again! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • randomdiscordrandomdiscord Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The FACT that these problems didn't exist (with this degree of severity) prior to mod6 should be a clue to everyone who insists these 'lag' problems are something to do with your own system.

I'm getting VERY tired of the rubber-banding in dungeons...again a problem I never experienced prior to mod 6
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Rubber-banding was atrocious in both VT and eLoL last night. 5 minutes three different times before any of us could move. This is NOT our system (well, most of us) nor ISPs on our side. I do think that the lag has gotten progressively worse since the xBox side came online.
    I aim to misbehave
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    silence1x wrote: »
    Rubber-banding was atrocious in both VT and eLoL last night. 5 minutes three different times before any of us could move. This is NOT our system (well, most of us) nor ISPs on our side. I do think that the lag has gotten progressively worse since the xBox side came online.

Maybe more systems hardware needed due to Xbox?
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you forgot that refresh rate (the time it takes to draw one frame) is added to the "ping" time, it's not just network latency, it's also a factor of your FPS. so if FPS slows to 10 or 5, or less than 1 in some cases.. that's adding 200-1,200ms to your ping.

that said, server performance right now is simply abysmal. if I had to take a stab in the dark, it's poor load balancing. some areas (instances) are fine, others are overloaded.
  • drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not sure if this is relevant but anytime I'm having server not responding or rubber banding, I check the ping/hops and it is always at the Cogent hops that are a problem. long long hops or no connection at all, so yes I think cogent is a big part of the problem but not all
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i posted my ideas somewhere else on other topic regarding lags.

i do believe there is way too much "calculating" bottleneckings, they need to trim summoning adds which they were beefed up with unbalanced 73 lvl skills, one-shots, amount of debuffs castings, teleporting to next targets.
    when the cleric made 100% beam, they should bannish the devils until the heads make next rounds.
    same with local camps around herald ring camps, they should be cleared of mobs.

that would reduce lags.
    if the devs would read this.

make the devils as 60 lvl as they were, instead of 73 lvl.
    they would see vastly differences and amount of data between 60/73 lvls.
  • k9madrushk9madrush Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    NW is in bad shape they cant fix bugs and lag including balancing the game.
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I Agree that there is a serious problem and a quick fix(in dragon runs at least) would be to drop the max users per instance from 30 to 20 with an overload of 30.

Dragon run is possible with 30 users and All the times I have been in a 30 user group there was no lag. Even though astral seal was used.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• fenrisdwellerfenrisdweller Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lTPXcSA.jpg?1

Since May 8 I'm totally unable to play, at max i can hope for one minute of connection with rubberbanding and laggy movement before the "can't connect to server" message appears. I've tested other MMO games today to see if it was my connection and I didn't have this problem with them, in fact, I didn't have any lag, rubberbanding and disconnection issues with those games.
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    After some adjustments, I thought I had the problem beat. Nearly lag free for 6 months, and then mod 6 happened. Back, and with a vengeance. Hard to believe it is a coincidence.
  • dragonogredragonogre Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They need a fresh team of hamsters on the wheel the ones they have are getting to old.
    I am above the recommended requirements myself and many times my game drops the fps to 0 though I can be doing other things during this time. I don't get a not responding message from windows like the game locked up the data coming in simply stops. I have a 20Mb down and a 5Mb up I am not on a slow connection. Something else is going on like the OP suspects either shoddy coding or the servers are either on slow hosted connection or something else. This is definitely worse since Elemental Evil came out.
    Elemental Evil is the best module ever it fixed all the bugs!
  • alienwulfalienwulf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The FACT that these problems didn't exist (with this degree of severity) prior to mod6 should be a clue to everyone who insists these 'lag' problems are something to do with your own system.

I'm getting VERY tired of the rubber-banding in dungeons...again a problem I never experienced prior to mod 6

I agree the lag is not on my side only major lag is while on NW..
    Download Speed: 57629 kbps (7203.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 58271 kbps (7283.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Mobo Asus I7 4790K and two Mars 760 Sli what more could I do.
  • generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IMO lag is server side .. Cryptic just doesn't realize it yet.
  • dragonogredragonogre Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2015

2.png

Cisco WAP551

The ISP is Optus

Dragon HE in WoD

)

Players position
    Monsters aoe calculation
    Buff/Debuff calculation

Something I found helped my lag where I was getting complete freeze of the data coming in from the server. Force the direct x to 11 auto is bugging out it seems then have the game launcher verify the files after I did this I can go into PE without taking 5 minutes to get to Sgt. Knox.
    Elemental Evil is the best module ever it fixed all the bugs!
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok, the source of LAG is known to everybody, no secret, everybody with a little IT knowledge can find dozens of issues causing the game's current lag, rubber banding and shader problems. Verdict as they say in my job, bad craftsmanship through out the entire Mod.

Still if we keep on, you all know where it lands...
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• acro33acro33 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    One thing I noticed is that the lags in dungeons seems to be at their worst around 22:00 CET. Is this a time when more people are logged in or what?
    Tried running Valindra's Tower three days in a row at roughly that time and each time my team has been forced to quit because it is impossible to do anything. We can run around fine until we reach a mob, but as soon as they attack us everything goes to hell. Rubberbanding, server not responding and general lagging from Hell. But then when everyone's dead and respawn the issues stop until we get back to the mob and then it's the same story all over again.

To know that this is caused by a poorly performed module and then hearing them announce the next module so soon is frightening. Do they intend to fix anything or do they plan to launch the next module and send the game straight down the toilet because it won't be playable anymore?
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My workstation is using best hardware I can get from the current market, and as mentioned before, the configuration has been set to minimal.
    I don't think FPS also need to point in my post since if my computer cannot run a game with max graphic setting, it must be the client-side coding problem

you stated that FPS had no impact on your ping, I was simply correcting you.
    your epeen is duly noted, however...