test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do I feel like I'm being punished by playing the game?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I feel cryptic hasn't handled new mods in a good way, specifically the amount of times we have to repetitive tasks to get anywhere, in general.
From endless refining, to endless vigilante quests to get over with new areas, to the amount of times we have to so the same thing over and over to get any progress at all.
It's like the devs want us to get bored playing the game...
I was playing anyway because I thought it was always like this, but now that I've been playing other MMOs (I won't name them) I see that there are very different ways to handle that, to make actual FUN content, and not make the player to make the same stuff over and over again (I mean ALL MMOs have some level of grind but I NW takes the crown on the amount of it to get any progress)
I know what I'm saying is probably known to most of the playerbase, but I still would like to hear other opinions on it.

By the way this isn't a "I'm leaving" topic, I still like the game, specially because of the foundry (that gets less and less new stuff with each new module btw)
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Geez, your not being punished

They made a bad call

They will fix it
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    urlord283 wrote: »

They made a bad call

They will fix it

While I see your point, the time to act was "then" - when Mod6 launched and the negative feedback started pouring in. Yes, I commend the new game lead for wanting to fix things and do right by the players, but what should have been done was to make immediate changes, (with a notice that those changes may only be temporary). For instance, lower the number of enemies you must kill for the "Kill X" vigilance quests. Reduce the number of vigilance quests you need to do to progress to the next area in each zone. Increase the XP of those vigilance quests, reduce the level of enemies in the campaign zones to 70, and so on...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I was playing anyway because I thought it was always like this, but now that I've been playing other MMOs (I won't name them) I see that there are very different ways to handle that, to make actual FUN content, and not make the player to make the same stuff over and over again (I mean ALL MMOs have some level of grind but I NW takes the crown on the amount of it to get any progress) I know what I'm saying is probably known to most of the playerbase, but I still would like to hear other opinions on it.

Neverwinter is the only MMO I've ever played where I've reached the level cap, in that regard it's the least grindy MMO I've ever played. My list of MMOs played isn't especially extensive though. Of course Neverwinter has shifted the grind to other areas of the game. For me at least these are somewhat optional so I don't mind so much.

As it stands the positives of the Neverwinter combat still outweighs the negatives of much of the rest of the game, most of which are influenced by the chosen business model.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    While I see your point, the time to act was "then" - when Mod6 launched and the negative feedback started pouring in. Yes, I commend the new game lead for wanting to fix things and do right by the players, but what should have been done was to make immediate changes, (with a notice that those changes may only be temporary).

I disagree with the idea of immediate band-aid type 'fixes'. Whilst it's not fun to wait I think this is better handled by gathering feedback/data and evaluating first, then making planned rather than reactionary changes.
  • greatweaponarmygreatweaponarmy Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But you have the foundry !!!!!!!

It's so perfect right !?!??!?!

Yoohoo Foundry! hurray!!! Viva la Foundry!
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    urlord283 wrote: »

They made a bad call

They will fix it

I'm still waiting for my Scourge Warlock fixes. How many mods has it been?
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mjytresz wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my Scourge Warlock fixes. How many mods has it been?

Maybe a DC sized overhaul. One can only hope....
  • translucentwolftranslucentwolf Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tousseau wrote: »
    MEMO:

The Grind will continue to increase until morale improves.

Thank You,
    Cryptic Dev Team

+1 QFT. Someone should get some t-shirts made up. You'd make a *killing*. Looking at you guys, Cryptic. Where's the physical merchandise? Caturday tshirts, and 'astral resonator' rear view mirror hangers would sell better than Blood Rubies ever have!
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Grind doesn't necessarily have to be for experience/leveling. Any kind of progress in Neverwinter has been reduced to grinding. Does it matter if it's xp, rp or campaigns? Grinding is grinding.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    at least vigilante quest would be much better if it wasn't needed to do so many to advance in the area.
    16 x 3 for each new map is waay too much.
    levelling prior to 60 is fun because there is some sort of quest line where you're travelling around doing stuff.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Generally, I agree with you. I prefer long term fixes over quick patchwork. But after what? 20 days? of -for a lot of people- unplayable content due to bugs, insane lags (that even I can feel while I never experienced it before) and -in our opinion- way too much of a grind, the biggest question changed from "how can they fix X?" to "how long can they test our patience?"

There were things they could have done to make things more bearable, and every day without noticeable progress loses them players. We've all seen the figures on how bad NW is doing financially, and a 70% broken mod only makes things worse. So in this case I think some quick fixes could and should have been applied by now. Every day without a visible change or news on said changes is a day that people leave and a day closer to the end of NW period. Leaving players don't spend money.

For me, I don't really care how long they take. There's life outside NW for me and this is a good time to catch up on my professions. I just want them to do it properly. But the big spenders might have a different opinion.

This exactly! Video games, especially, are a very fast-paced industry. Launch day fiascos can really kill a game, so damage control is critical. Every day you let the problem(s) persist is another day of bad press, bad player experience, and the lack of any definitive communication only spurs player resentment...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LoL fiery pit is having a meltdown. It took me almost 2 minutes just to get back to the door to get the hell out of that mess. Cryptic sure better have one HELL of a patch ready on Thursday cuz some of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is just game breaking. I don't even want to start about what PVP has become. One of the things that scares me most is that for all their "communicating" not one mention of the lag. It's like PWE won't let it be discussed so Cryptic is in full Hide Your Head in the Sand mode. If this is purely a resource issue and their way of dealing with it is to let it go so bad half the players leave in disgust to bring the server load down, ima go ahead and say we are doomed.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, the Grind is strong with this game. You know things are screwy when you can play a Korean MMO that's way less grindy and still FTP.

Haven't played for a couple of days since hitting Spinward Rise with my Pally. I'd managed to avoid the Vigilance grind in revious zones by mixing in TOD dailies etc (and double XP helped). But you HAVE to finish all the quests in SR if you want the free MH and after the first couple of iterations I was bored to tears and decided to take a break.

Hopefully something gets changed soon and I can come back.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    This exactly! Video games, especially, are a very fast-paced industry. Launch day fiascos can really kill a game, so damage control is critical. Every day you let the problem(s) persist is another day of bad press, bad player experience, and the lack of any definitive communication only spurs player resentment...
    Oh, boy! I sense some frustration in your posts. You're one of the few people that stays cool even when things start to go downhill. If you're getting frustrated with the game, things must be really bad. I'm starting to get scared now...

:)
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Neverwinter, from levels 1-70, is light on grinding. In comparision to other MMOs, levelling is quite easy, and the amount of XP earned, is quite sufficient to push one up in levels with minimal repetition (even counting the Vigilance Quests). What has changed is that the experience of the ease of levelling from 1-60 (with a story line progression) CHANGES in the levels 61-70 AND the ease of fulfilling those quests becomes more difficult. The levelling and diffficulty from 1-70 is not linear, and the attraction of Neverwinter, up until Mod 6, was the ease and smoothness of reaching end-game. Additonally, an issue with mod 6 is that end-game seems to be in transition (or confused). Is end game level 70? Is end-game level 61-70? The access to areas at level 61-70 suggests end game is now the last 10 levels. The difficulty of the areas suggests end-game (generally speaking) is level 70.

I am okay with the repetition, because I knew it was coming, and prepared myself psychologically for the change. But, it is not excessive. Hopefully, levels 61-70 can be smoothed out to make a linear player experience, and end-game can be more clearly defined.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    that explains some of it.
    levelling from 1 to 60 is fun, there is a quest line, even though it also has lots of boring quests along the line.
    but from 60 to 70 is a pain in the *** to level. I do the first 16 vigilante quests from each area and I'm already sickened by them. also I did them and barely got any exp. after 16 quests I got like half a level at lv 63.
    2e2qwj6.jpg