test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Punishing Charge needs an update

xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Militia Barracks
Punishing Charge has been one of my favorite encounters to slot since I can remember. I used it in PvP and PvE but as of mod 6 it is useless. The damage is far less than any one hit from an atwill making the AP gain from destroyer un noticible. It is now just a short range dodge / put yourself in a better position on the battlefield encounter. There are FAR BETTER encounters to use now. I used to feel all the GWF encounters were relevent situationally and by play style but I just dont see a place for Punishing Charge in mod 6.

My thoughts to revamp the encounter:

1) Give a deflect bonus or a dodge bonus like mighty leap while PC is active
or
2) Gain combat advantage for a few seconds when PC is used.
or
3) Increase damage and give small AP gain for every mob hit

Personally I would love a few second of combat advantage with PC. It goes along with the idea of the encounter, you know, charging in and punishing your enemy :)

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Ara Atheanes GWF
Traxus Atheanes GF
Bastiel Atheanes DC
Ellara Atheanes CW
Keira Atheanes TR
Sarasin Atheanes SW
Jerkface McGee HR
-MANTARA- OP

Post edited by xxmantaraxx on

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you want CA, just use daring shout.
  • twoedge1twoedge1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love using Punishing charge as well. It's a great way to avoid a huge hit coming from a mob, or a quick way to get out of the red area when stamina is gone for sprint. However yesterday after reaching level 70 and upgrading it to rank 4 I found out it breaks this power. At rank 4 you only get 1 charge, instead of 4 and the cool down timer actually increases, =/. It completely breaks the usefulness of this power. You would think 3 weeks after the release something like this would be fixed right away. Very disappointing that I have to spend money on a respect to downgrade it back to power 3 where it has 3 charges and works correctly.

:(
  • pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have always been a huge fan of Punishing Charge. It allows you to pas directly through people(mobs and players). Greatly useful against melee-ers in PvP as you can juke around a lot making them waste their encounters on where you were. But it defintely needs an upgrade. It used to be the only encounter with charges, but now Hidden Daggers had 3 charges, is range and AoE, does a good bit of damage and buffs our damage as well. That has so much more benefit to it than Punishing Charge does.

Realistically it is called PUNISHING charge. The distance is adequate, 25 feet. Although they could increase it to 30 feet. But it seemingly doesn't really punish anybody, unless you juke their moves putting it on cooldown, but this is only possible against ground targeted abilities or certain melee attacks of certain classes. That is more so frustrating than punishing.

it needs a heavy bleed on it, or perhaps a push, as we don't have many pushes as a Sword Master anyway. Or even just a flat damage increase, perhaps based on charges like Impact Shot. Or instead of increase damage, perhaps it could land a short daze on who you hit. Something that would reflect some sort of Punishment.

It is great right now not for its damage, or ability to punish, but purely for its Mobility. using PC helps to keep your stamina higher. Allowing you to save your Stamina bar for timed sprint bursts vs incoming CC.

What do you all think?

Flat Increased Damage?
    Added Medium bleed , possibly stackable.
    Added Debuff to targets hit? (Lower dmg resistance, or crit chance, or movement speed reduction)
    Daze or mini push stun akin to Impact Shot. (dmg based on charges left)
    A simple Interrupt akin to Roar? (<-- this could be very simple to implement and very useful)
    Giving Combat advantage as suggested above would also be a great improvement to the skill, and gel well with its idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think punishing charge would benefit with a knockback effect like the normal version of Sunburst for clerics when entities are hit by it.

That would make the ability more punishing than the same ol stuff that all other encounters and at wills already provide. It doesnt do much damage at all. So it has to compensate with utility (which the knockback would provide in addition to the distance break or closing). It would also more so justify the charges it has since it doesnt do that much damage to begin with.

Alternatively I'd settle for a 1 second daze.