test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thinking of Starting a Scourge Warlock - Feedback Needed!

zippoastarothzippoastaroth Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Nine Hells
Like the post says, I am thinking of starting a SW. But im not sure. I am seeing a lot of mixed review and there is a lot of outdated threads out there so i need a general idea of what im getting into.

1) Is this still a viable class Mod6?

2)Based on Mod 6, what Race/stats should i go for

3) Instead of answering #2, can you link me to a good guide that is viable right now Mod 6 in mind? I am looking for mostly PVE, i dabblle in PvP but not much, i like to solo, but i also like to group. I am into survivability but i also like to deal damage and be a good team player.

4) Thoughts?
Post edited by zippoastaroth on

Comments

• deceondarkbladedeceondarkblade Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1) The consensus here is yes. I've played TR, HR, and CW, as well, and I honestly think SW is the most fun. Indeed some of it's base mechanics (like LS) could use a mine(read major) tweak.

2) Human seems to be the most popular, but others might have a better idea than I.

3) There are a couple more recent threads that discuss this, the most poplular right now is Hellbound Fury, right now I'm a HB Temptation, but I'm saving a respec for when I finally get to 70 and see if it's viable. From you comment about survivability and and team suport, temptation might be the right for you.

A short discussion of Temptation
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?915091-Viabale-PVE-Only-Temptation-Build

Kolatmaster is a the resident SW guru, this is an older thread, but the end of it discusses some Mod 6 issues
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?736131-Daigotsu-Scourge-Warlock-Guide-by-quot-Leeroy-Jenkins-quot-of-GWF-Fame-)

Good luck,
    Lasciel Archeleone
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1) Some still like it, some say they get kicked and advised to delete their chars. I say, it rememinds me of m1-m5 PvE TR state which could be described by 1 word "a pet". Comparing to what other classes can do (still doesn't mean SW can't outperform the other in some cases). Our utility just gone obsolete for PvE now I guess.
    2) I think tiefling and human are still the best for PvE.
    3) What Deceon advised. Diagotsu has his PvE guide still running I guess.
    4) Thought? Hmm...I think our class will be overbuffed to broken sooner or later. Because atm, it's not good and too flat.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. You can do PVE, but CW - GWF - TR - Hunter will out dps you lot of times, on single target SB Fury is good, damnation seems to be bugged as hell and deals some insane damage in some cases, but I am sure this can be called a bug if your puppet does 700k hits
    2. I play human , the 3 extrapoints are very wellcome
    3. HB-fury is a glasscanon build and you will not perform going solo most cases, lots of sudendeath by doing dailies, survivability is only attainable playing soulbinder, so choice is SB fury or damnation, damnation is called the more tanky path

I stick SB fury, since I can do PVE and PVP, damnation would also be viable, but when fixed (if at all) you fall back in damage PVE wise and I don´t want to be dependent ot a bugged soul puppet with the IQ of a earthworm
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People here gave good advice, if you want to play this class, play it because you REALLY like the concept of it. Because utility wise wizards will do the job better in most cases. Keep in mind though, that classes get buffed/nerfed every mod or so. So SW might be the next buff, or nerf, and same with the other classes, nobody really knows

For more info about the class itself go to my Complete Warlock Thread on this forums to find out more about Warlocks

As for me, I play Hellbringer Fury atm but soon im gunna go back to SoulBinder Fury, and when I'm fully decked out I'll go temptation.

I play dragonborn, because I like the 5% incoming healing alot. If I didn't have dragonborn I would play human or tiefling. You could also do Sun Elf, but this is more a pvp race choice.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • zippoastarothzippoastaroth Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I soaked it up good. and reread everything twice. I decided i really like the class concept, so i am going to tough it out until we geta buff, I deided to go with a DC as my Main, but this will be my main Alt. Again thank you all for the wonderful support. I am beginning to really like the neverwinter Community!
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Scourge Warlock very well might be the most fun up to 60. But in the end game we're still struggling to find our place. Temptation line's healing is not enough to be a asset to the clerics. We cannot stop people from getting 1 shot by groups of trash mobs or from the big bosses. Fury line's damage has been cut back so far that we're far from being the biggest damage dealer, We're not even in the top 3. The damnation line's pet is nice, except due to a bug that has been around since the birth of the class you cannot take the shadow puppet into a boss fight, it gets stuck outside the gates looking in angrily.

At level 70 with all purple gear, and legendary artifacts and a item level in the 2700s I still find myself far from the top of the heap when fighting with guild mates, even if my gear far outranks them.

So, like I said. Fun experience up til around 60....

We are faring a bit better in PvP then we were prior to mod 6, but unless you fight with the exact right setup/artifacts/and weapons and armor enchantments, your PvP life will be far from enjoyable.

But that can be said of alot of classes right now.
  • fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ogarious wrote: »
    Scourge Warlock very well might be the most fun up to 60. But in the end game we're still struggling to find our place. Temptation line's healing is not enough to be a asset to the clerics. We cannot stop people from getting 1 shot by groups of trash mobs or from the big bosses. Fury line's damage has been cut back so far that we're far from being the biggest damage dealer, We're not even in the top 3. The damnation line's pet is nice, except due to a bug that has been around since the birth of the class you cannot take the shadow puppet into a boss fight, it gets stuck outside the gates looking in angrily.

At level 70 with all purple gear, and legendary artifacts and a item level in the 2700s I still find myself far from the top of the heap when fighting with guild mates, even if my gear far outranks them.

So, like I said. Fun experience up til around 60....

We are faring a bit better in PvP then we were prior to mod 6, but unless you fight with the exact right setup/artifacts/and weapons and armor enchantments, your PvP life will be far from enjoyable.

But that can be said of alot of classes right now.
    I just hit 60, and it has mostly been a breeze. I've played solo, with pretty much no build whatsoever (I started Damnation, then took some Temptation, then figured out I'd respec so didn't even bother allocating my last 7 feat points). I'm guessing this is partly because I've outleveled content a lot along the way (between festivals and invocation, the XP is running considerably ahead of the curve).

So we'll see how the new content is. I hear things hit hard :)

Anyway, I think the HP-on-gear itemization is mighty poor -- if everyone's getting pretty much mandatory HPs, why not just roll this into the level-up? I get it that this HP is not affected by constitution, but that just seems like an odd way to calibrate things.