test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Feedback Request: Doomguides' Folly

leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
My map already has 87+ reviews, so this isn't exactly a call out to get it out of "beta" hell. I am looking for feedback on what to improve before submitting it for feature. Of course, there are a few things I can't fix due to the games programming (lighting, monster clip), but anything else, such as clarity, impressions, challenge, and detail is up for improvement.

At the time of writing this, the detail count is already at 1200+/1500 for the crypt map and I am at the point where I am adding godfrey dust particles under each light source in the hallways. If there is anything you think would improve the foundry, let me know.

The foundry itself is an exploration/puzzle foundry - every class skill has a different method in finding keys to the inner rooms. For example, Fighters have a maze they must navigate while Wizards have a rune puzzle to solve.

Author: @leinahtanwc
Title: Doomguides' Folly
Code: NW-DTKLZ7899

Let me know what you think - that is what I am after most! In addition, if you want, I am willing to give everyone who sends me a mail a free Preservation Ward + a chance at a coffer upon completing the foundry (you must submit a review so I know you ran it, any stars is fine). Thank you and hope to hear from you all soon!

*Known issues*
1. Different versions of the quest sometimes appear in the search engine. The most up-to-date version is 0.9.650 as of today.
2. Currently, upon accepting the quest, the game will not tell you where to go anymore (it routes to a sewer entrance when it should say "Head to the Cursed District", which is on the overworld map) for the first step. Once inside the foundry, everything is working as is.
3. Legion has a clipping/Teleportation issue due to how the fight works. For a solution, I created ramps to where Legion likes to teleport so he can come back down and fight you some more instead of running away.
Post edited by leinahtanwc on

Comments

• Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey, I tried to play your coincidentally the other day... I got to tell ya, I got stuck at the runes. I wouldn't say that I am an idiot, but the riddles, they just didn't make any sense to me other than the reference to the black, orange and blood. I was stumped on the Teal and Yellow, and I couldn't unlock the rune field and figure out that puzzle. PM me what I am missing, and I would love to run your quest again. I enjoyed it, but got stuck at that part.

Could you run one of my short ones for me please? I am a couple reviews away from being on the Review Board so others can see it, and so far, it has gotten very good reviews by the people who have played.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me out on both accounts, tell me what I am missing with the runes on your quest, and play through mine. Here is the name of the quest, and it is linked to its forum page:

Fall of the City of Grumura
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hey, I tried to play your coincidentally the other day... I got to tell ya, I got stuck at the runes. I wouldn't say that I am an idiot, but the riddles, they just didn't make any sense to me other than the reference to the black, orange and blood. I was stumped on the Teal and Yellow, and I couldn't unlock the rune field and figure out that puzzle. PM me what I am missing, and I would love to run your quest again. I enjoyed it, but got stuck at that part.

Could you run one of my short ones for me please? I am a couple reviews away from being on the Review Board so others can see it, and so far, it has gotten very good reviews by the people who have played.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me out on both accounts, tell me what I am missing with the runes on your quest, and play through mine. Here is the name of the quest, and it is linked to its forum page:

Fall of the City of Grumura

Ah, you are a wizard if you had the rune puzzle. Every class gets an interesting theme for the second room. The wizard one is the hardest one to do, but once you do know it, its the quickest one to do.

Spoilers Ahead - cant seem to hide the spoiler text that well. Be careful when reading down!

1. "Abandon your fear, your envy, and your greed" - Do not use Yellow
    2. "The length of all words if five" - 5 Runes must be used
    3. "The Orange flames are split in two by the night" - Orange is used twice, separated by Black
    4. "Blood Comes before anything else" - Red is First
    5. "The sickly one, all alone, trails behind" - Teal is last.
    6. "We are your creations! Sing our name" - Located on Altar - The colors spell the solution "somehow", think first letter.

Solution: Red, Orange, Black, Orange, Teal

Note: I never said you had to use each rune once. That is the trick people miss a lot.
  • Options
    devocutdevocut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Spoilers Ahead - cant seem to hide the spoiler text that well. Be careful when reading down!

1. "Abandon your fear, your envy, and your greed" - Do not use Yellow
    2. "The length of all words if five" - 5 Runes must be used
    3. "The Orange flames are split in two by the night" - Orange is used twice, separated by Black
    4. "Blood Comes before anything else" - Red is First
    5. "The sickly one, all alone, trails behind" - Teal is last.
    6. "We are your creations! Sing our name" - Located on Altar - The colors spell the solution "somehow", think first letter.

Solution: Red, Orange, Black, Orange, Teal

Note: I never said you had to use each rune once. That is the trick people miss a lot.

I had no problem figuring out the first 4 colors but could not get the connection between sickly and teal. Finally, I started randomly guessing the last color and POP!

Very nice foundry.
  • Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was close, and yes, I knew to use the Orange twice, but it was the Yellow and the Teal that had me confused, because I pictured "Yellow" for being sick, not "Teal".

Maybe work out the clues a bit, but really great quest. I will go back to it today... can you please hit up mine?

I have a link to it on my earlier post, Fall of the City of Grumura
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    devocut wrote: »
    I had no problem figuring out the first 4 colors but could not get the connection between sickly and teal. Finally, I started randomly guessing the last color and POP!

Very nice foundry.

So what adjectives do you think are associated with Teal and Yellow exclusively? The previous hint for teal was "Odd", but someone thought odd meant black, so I changed it to sickly - green/blue looks are usually associated with illness. The hint is basically supposed to say - Teal is last, used once.

I guess I could change teal to Tan, or some other "T" color.
  • Options
    devocutdevocut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So what adjectives do you think are associated with Teal and Yellow exclusively? The previous hint for teal was "Odd", but someone thought odd meant black, so I changed it to sickly - green/blue looks are usually associated with illness. The hint is basically supposed to say - Teal is last, used once.

I guess I could change teal to Tan, or some other "T" color.

I cant think of an adjective one commonly uses with the color “teal”. Perhaps if you had used “blue” it would have been easier to make the connection to sickly. I suppose it requires a bit of thinking and thus the puzzle accomplished its purpose.

When I think of yellow I think bright, warm and sunny.

By the way, Im not complaining…just making an observation about the puzzle. I think the foundry was very well done and I enjoyed the challenging end fight. Make more!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    devocut wrote: »
    By the way, Im not complaining…just making an observation about the puzzle. I think the foundry was very well done and I enjoyed the challenging end fight. Make more!

Don't worry about that :) I am not taking anything personal here when it comes to confusion. I understand clearly the confusion revolving around the wizard puzzle and I'm trying to make it easier. The puzzle a few versions back was quite a bit more vague - and just about no one got it then :( - different cultures view colors differently is all - and yellow/teal have been pretty difficult.
  • Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    disregard this, i found my answer:)
  • Options
    nimzowitchnimzowitch Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    Some really great work here. I thought the warped hallway was especially ingenious. Like others, I also had a hard time with the wizard puzzle. This mainly had to do with not being immediately clear about having to solve six words for six runes, or one word that all six runes were hinting at. I thought that the Martin dialogue should have split into two parts: one before selecting an object and one after so that "you do not have this skill" does not show up in all of the dialogue options when you first speak with him. The final battle took me two tries to complete with a 12k gs control wizard. Might have been able to do it in one if I had gotten on the summoners right away - so challenging, but fair I think. After the final battle, in the "Reach the Gate" objective, your marker shows up on the gate itself rather than on the teleporter that I used to reach the gate. I know that sound like a lot of hand holding, but if I was unclear about where I needed to go I think some others will be as well. An impressive foundry. Good luck with getting it featured.

Please give Siren's Cove Castaways a play and quick review when you can. I added a shortcut to this one recently to reduce play time by about 1/3.
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Does i miss something in the foundry, that explain that you have to find out which puzzle you let go through? It was a bit bad to try out all things i can interact and then to come conclusion, that i only need one of that objects. =( Time sink if the player don't know that he only have to find the right puzzle to continue playing. Independent of this it's okay - good thinking to make different puzzles for the classes. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I changed the wizard puzzle about a week or so ago - it now uses a parallel dialogue tree instead of a looping dialogue tree. That is - there are two conversation trees - when you say the incorrect one you move to the incorrect tree and the dialogue looks the same until you reach the conclusion where the spell "fizzles". This approach allowed me to give feedback as to which rune input you are currently on (Enter First Rune, Enter Second, Enter Third, ... Enter Last, Fail/Success). The old one was a looper, which couldn't tell you which one you were on and kept sending you to the beginning on every wrong guess. Since it was a looper, I couldn't give feedback without giving the answer away.
    So enough of the technical stuff on the wizard puzzle :) Hope its easier to understand :)

As for the dialogue showing up after picking up the kits - the skill check items - there are pros and cons to it. The pro is it looks more professional while the con is that some people will talk to Martin first, pick up the item, and assume there is nothing else for him to say. Due to the number of people who do not read closely the first time, I feel its important to have things upfront in that case.

About the "Reach the Gate" objective. Its a waypoint objective to guide people to the exit point after they use a portal. In the early versions of the map I noticed a glitch with the foundry where the waypoint indicator for the exit/next map object would disappear if the player used a portal to travel (the one underneath legion's platform) - causing confusion and people leaving the map via the minimap force quit and returning via the world map. I was made aware of the issue when someone complained about no exit when there was one - looked at the minimap when it showed up and it disappeared :).

As for direction - Both Martin and Sarah provide hints as to where to go based on the kit you are holding. The text they say is yellow accented for the critical instruction. For example, if you have the fighter's torch - Martin says a little bit about secrets and "Statues" is bolded in Yellow. There are 3 statues in the first room needing interaction, as well as a shield statue in the second chamber. For wizard, Martin says "Runes" in yellow, and tells you the runes are in the back. Sarah also tells you where to go, and provides some subtle hints about the wizard puzzle.

I can't have the questline follow individual keys since there are 5 in each room, 1 for each class skill - splitting questlines are not possible in the questlog - and it would become even more complicated with multiplayer if it was implemented.

Listening to NPCs is important if you want to get through quickly - otherwise you will likely wander aimlessly. I had someone crack the wizard puzzle in 25 seconds without help simply because they noticed the overall theme of the map. That guy shocked me.
  • Options
    lennied17lennied17 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm having trouble with Doomguide's folly. I got the riddles for the relics, but whenever I try to invoke its telling me "You do not have this skill." Now I'm stuck. I have explored everything else thus far, and still the same message. Help!
  • Options
    lennied17lennied17 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm having trouble with Doomguide's folly. I got the riddles for the relics, but whenever I try to invoke its telling me "You do not have this skill." Now I'm stuck. I have explored everything else thus far, and still the same message. Help!
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am sure there is some behind the scenes limitation I am missing but what were the kits for? It seems like it would have been easier to just link everything to the skill.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I am sure there is some behind the scenes limitation I am missing but what were the kits for? It seems like it would have been easier to just link everything to the skill.

There is/was a behind the scenes limitation involving direct skill checks when I laid it all out.

If you set an object to be "Interactable", then have it require an item/skill, and then set it to require a SKILL like Dungeoneering or Arcane, the foundry would report an error and prevent publishing. Its funny, because they have 2 categories of requirements - Items and Skills, yet selecting skills break it. I kept trying to have the game do a direct skill check but it wouldn't work. This was way back 3-4 months ago, I believe prior to Module 1. Things may have changed since then, so maybe I should try an experiment and see if it works now.

Anyway, back to how I approached this problem - while requiring skills to interact with objects caused errors, you could however have visibility of objects be restricted by class skill. Thus, I created 5 "skill bags", one visible to each class which simulate the class skill checks I would have liked. The con to this approach is that there is only 1 available. I could add more, but due to the nature of the foundry of poke-explore-solve, players would likely loot them all and wonder what was going on and get annoyed by carrying 5 skill bags when they only needed one.

Once I am done retroactively improving my first foundry (when I have time :) ), Bones and Brimstone, I will go back to Doomguides' Folly and place the finishing touches. I didn't expect to get 1000+ reviews all of a sudden and I have looked at all the feedback and some of it was pretty good. I will of course check to see if they fixed the require skill option and see if its working.

I intend to change the Ranger route a little bit, add more decorations, and fine tune some wording on the wizard puzzle, as well as a grammar pass. I also intend to reskin several monsters too.

As for person saying they could not interact with the color puzzle and such - There are 3 possible reasons for this. The first could be that you are not a wizard, as wizards are the only ones who can do the color puzzle. There are five unique event/puzzles in the second section. The second possible reason is that you are a wizard, but you are currently playing Multiplayer with another wizard who happened to loot the "skill" bag. The third possibility is that you are a wizard and you threw away the Special Arcane Gem skill check item.
  • Options
    maniceaglemaniceagle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I only have one question how do u reach the first key in the very first room
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    maniceagle wrote: »
    I only have one question how do u reach the first key in the very first room

Depends on your class skill.
    If you are a Fighter (Dungoneering) - you have to activate the 2 small statues to allow pushing the big one.
    If you are a rogue (Thievery) - the key is located on a small ledge on the right side off the stairs. *Rogue key is hard to find.
    If you are a wizard (Arcane) - Behind the stairs on the wall.
    If you are a cleric (Religion) - approach the large headless statue on the top floor and pray at its sword.
    If you are a ranger (Nature) - approach the hidden flowers in the grass, summon the wolf, and answer his question.
  • Options
    sunwmastersunwmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Guys what color you talking about?? I see no colours there, all runes are same colored for me.......... please help me as fast as you can!! I need to finish this quest......... thanks a lot....... regards!
  • Options
    suiathonhirgon19suiathonhirgon19 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HI i am having trouble navigating the twisted hallway .. . when my scourge warlock gets to a certain point in the hallway .. i cannot get up on the next section .. i can "slide" past a couple of sections but then it becomes impossible for me .. i dont know how to make my warlock jump up ... can you help me.
  • Options
    izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited October 2014
    Holy Mother of Necro :eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    HI i am having trouble navigating the twisted hallway .. . when my scourge warlock gets to a certain point in the hallway .. i cannot get up on the next section .. i can "slide" past a couple of sections but then it becomes impossible for me .. i dont know how to make my warlock jump up ... can you help me.

Are warlocks unable to jump? I haven't touched the new class or the game much in the past month. It sounds like you got past the beginning part with a class skill (which I assume is Arcane?).

*For a thread with barely 3 pages, it sure has a lot of views...
  • Options
    richparkerrichparker Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ok how the hell do i get the second floor key i found where it says you cannot reach key i have serached online but cannot find answer please help i have done everytihing i could please help
  • Options
    phi0naphi0na Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello, I am quite stuck and can't pass the colour runes. I really tried to solve it, but couldn't, so if you could please tell me the solution. My class y Scourage Warlock. thank you