test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to make good Tank Paladin

tygrik22tygrik22 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Citadel
Hi, can you explain to me how can I make a threat with paladin. And which powers can I use to aggro for "attracting" mobs? thank you
Post edited by tygrik22 on

Comments

• equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When I do skirmishes my Paladin usually has every mobs attention. I get it by:

1) start by hitting them all with Radiant strikes
    2) hit them with Templar's wrath
    3) pop 1 divine call
    4) hit them with Relentless Attacker
    5) hit them with fully charged Burning Light
    6) keep hitting with radiants (and shielding strike for damage absorption)

This works great for Skirmishes. As far as the new super hard dungeons go... I cant give you any pointers. You are dead meat over there

Super hard dungeons is why i had to go with devotion path.
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • tygrik22tygrik22 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I use Templar's wrath alltime, but Relentless Attacker "driving back" mobs is often not desirable :/ There probably is not any build on Plaadin or?
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmm do you want a build or a strategy?

Key powers are;
    Radiant Strike - similar to Relentless, but weaker effect that more repeatable.
    Shielding Strike - because it hits multiple targets (it's a small AoE in front of you so once things are bunched up on you its hitting 2 or more things) and keeps you standing.
    Templar's Wrath - the temp HP will keep you up once you have the aggro.
    Burning Light - while it doesn't give you aggro it does stop your allies from being hit, which is part of the job of a tank.
    Relentless Assault - because getting to the enemy and getting the first damage on them gives you aggro. The fact they get knocked over and have to come back is not a bad thing. (RA in, pop Templar's for temps, cycle Burning to control)
    Divine Judgement - because splashing either a lot of damage on a big single foe, or a bit of damage over a lot of tougher mobs pulls aggro.
    Divine Protector - because allies that are not taking damage just do more damage, this also combos nicely with Binding Oath mentioned below, causing it to do even more damage and draw more aggro.

Secondary Powers:
    Circle of Power - the DR buff and DPS buff both help stay standing. Important if the party is lower on DPS or more melee focussed.
    Binding Oath - while it doesn't exactly force the enemy to attack you as it says, it does generate aggro and helps keep everyone alive by soaking damage. This power is particularly useful when your allies want things bunched up, it replaces Radiant Strike.
    Smite - Good for when you have a single (or couple) of elite mobs and a bunch of trash with a lot of forced movement zones that will break Burning Light.
    Divine Touch - it does AoE damage (which combined with AoCourage is even better) to pull aggro and gives you more defence to survive it. Its also a fast cast and recharge power.
    Lay on Hands - because it rarely uses more than 20% of your AP timed well and lets you keep an ally up. Mobs also hate healers.

Auras:
    Courage - damage draws aggro, and when everything within 40' of you is taking damage from you often it gets annoyed with you.
    Truth - because alive people do stuff.
    Radiance - when dealing with weaker foes this adds even more damage with you as the source, however you are noticeably softer with this instead of Truth, be warned, and you also will not sneak past anything.

Feats:
    Justice Tree - Tier 1: Bound by Light - This makes your control effects (Binding , Relentless, Templar's, Burning) more effective.
    Bulwark Tree - Tier 1 Holy Resurgance, all other Tiers the bottom row, pick up either Sanctity or Exemplar of the Light. Take the capstone. It procs very slowly, but once you are surrounded and being pounded on it procs often enough that it is quite helpful.
    Light Tree - Tier 1: Gifts of the Light - this makes your Sanctuary a better healer (and Lay on Hands and Cleansing Touch)

That about covers it in my experience. Within that range you have to tweak according to what you have in your party.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    See, this is wrong. Forcing a class into a specific path is simply bad design. I refuse to accept forced choices dungeons be damned. Everyone should be able to play what and however they want.

I have to agree with this. We'll see how it goes..
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Feats:
    Justice Tree - Tier 1: Bound by Light - This makes your control effects (Binding , Relentless, Templar's, Burning) more effective.
    Bulwark Tree - Tier 1 Holy Resurgance, all other Tiers the bottom row, pick up either Sanctity or Exemplar of the Light. Take the capstone. It procs very slowly, but once you are surrounded and being pounded on it procs often enough that it is quite helpful.
    Light Tree - Tier 1: Gifts of the Light - this makes your Sanctuary a better healer (and Lay on Hands and Cleansing Touch)

That about covers it in my experience. Within that range you have to tweak according to what you have in your party.

have u tested aura gifts, imho it would be a bit better than a bit of cc duration(cc lasts like 0.1 sec anyway) getting 15~20k power during a bigger fight isnt hard as protection, and giving 25% of it to party - free 10% dmg buff

what do u use for single target in dungeon, atm im using bane, templar and enmity
    Paladin Master Race
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm. I've gone Justice on my Tankadin as when I did testing on Preview the Bulwark feats almost seemed like redundant overkill. I'm still levelling so if anyone has any experience of a Justice build in L70 content I'd appreciate it.

Oh - I do know that the capstone is not working for Protection at the moment. I'm banking on a fix before I reach it. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited April 2015
    for justice it doesnt work either :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have and not good so went devotion and my god best spec ever for MOD 6 <3 due to self healing and such
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
    edited April 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    have u tested aura gifts, imho it would be a bit better than a bit of cc duration(cc lasts like 0.1 sec anyway) getting 15~20k power during a bigger fight isnt hard as protection, and giving 25% of it to party - free 10% dmg buff

what do u use for single target in dungeon, atm im using bane, templar and enmity

Well Aura Gifts requires that I give up Flash of Light and Exemplar of the Light as well, its not just CC being affected. So not at this time, though I'm planing to tinker on playtest some more as while I'm overall happy with the build I think I can eek more out of it still.

Also where are you getting 15-20K power from? Those are the sorts of numbers that would make Aura Gifts a lot more appealing. My power runs closer to 3K at the moment (note I'm still mostly in blue gear so a long way from BiS, so there could be a factor there).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • jharlisjharlis Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Also where are you getting 15-20K power from?
    Oath of protection grants us 10% of our max hp as power during fights ( as long as we take dmg tho)
    edited April 2015
    jharlis wrote: »
    Oath of protection grants us 10% of our max hp as power during fights ( as long as we take dmg tho)

max ive noticed is close to 18k, my base power is ~6k, dont really know why its so high xD im stacking hp and crit/arp
    Paladin Master Race
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    max ive noticed is close to 18k, my base power is ~6k, dont really know why its so high xD im stacking hp and crit/arp

Other buffs - Righteous DC e.g. has a feat, etc.

Also, seeing the rest of the programming, maybe temp HP do add, too... ...which ofc would retroactively be declared WAI :^]
    edited April 2015
    Other buffs - Righteous DC e.g. has a feat, etc.

Also, seeing the rest of the programming, maybe temp HP do add, too... ...which ofc would retroactively be declared WAI :^]

i have 120k hp so its 12k from oath of protection, + 6k base and it adds up to 18k, so pala can add a ton of power to team, at bis pala could have much more hp so over 20k power isnt anything impossible

and there was a feat that increased def by 10% so it can give a few % DR on top of that
    Paladin Master Race
    edited April 2015
    Well Aura Gifts requires that I give up Flash of Light and Exemplar of the Light as well, its not just CC being affected. So not at this time, though I'm planing to tinker on playtest some more as while I'm overall happy with the build I think I can eek more out of it still.

I went and did some testing on PTS again this morning and with the rest of my respec to fix a few small errors the change to Aura Gifts is actually a winner. There is still some more tweaking to be tried, but I suspect I'm getting pretty close to my final Tank spec, which is still Bullwark primary (because Justice is way squishier, which is bad in the epic dungeons).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Epic Dungeons (2ks) are currently **** near impossible, when bosses blow right through your defenses. Getting hit as hit as high as 300k, while blocking and max temp hp. Currently have 10k Defense, nearly 5k deflection. Aura of Protection and Aura of Truth are two primary tanking skills that reduce damage, do nothing to mitigate, block seems to do nothing. Basically, the spec is broken.

However. I have spent a good deal of kite tanking, and it can be quite effective with Aura of Courage/Radiance on.

I do not know how this gets corrected right now, but you cannot stand up against more than 2 mobs easily, if at all. One thing I am focusing on now... is AC. My ac is 32, where as GFs are 37 (default), perhaps with an AC cloak, may help a bit.

(btw, 114k Health).
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov
  • hellxherehellxhere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2015
    elimin3 wrote: »
    Epic Dungeons (2ks) are currently **** near impossible, when bosses blow right through your defenses. Getting hit as hit as high as 300k, while blocking and max temp hp. Currently have 10k Defense, nearly 5k deflection. Aura of Protection and Aura of Truth are two primary tanking skills that reduce damage, do nothing to mitigate, block seems to do nothing. Basically, the spec is broken.

However. I have spent a good deal of kite tanking, and it can be quite effective with Aura of Courage/Radiance on.

I do not know how this gets corrected right now, but you cannot stand up against more than 2 mobs easily, if at all. One thing I am focusing on now... is AC. My ac is 32, where as GFs are 37 (default), perhaps with an AC cloak, may help a bit.

(btw, 114k Health).

Can you tell us which feast way you chose?
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Forgive me if I am wrong.But from what all I have read they seem to want you to team with a GF so that you both can be a front line team. I don't see either being effective very much without the other. And even then you best have a good healer to your back.Toss in a couple of DPS peeps and call it a group.
  • jharlisjharlis Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Aura of protection doesn't change my DR%.The 2,5% feat doesnt add up either. The Stand Fast feat doesn't change my DR% but affects my deflection. So i doubt the boss is piercing your defenses because there's actually none.
    Temp hp doesn't increase my power, otherwise i'd have like 30k power.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Admittedly I am coming from a lot of experience playing an oldschool conq GF. So I look to Oath of Protection for 500% threat and given base threat as damage work on doing enough to keep everyone's attention. Much like ET on the GF you maximise the threat created by getting the threat boost and dosing it with burst damage. Survivability? I... look OP has plenty of resistance boosts and Temp HP. Radiant strike is basically the same as TR. as long as you have a target you have a 'dodge'.
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited April 2015
    elimin3 wrote: »

(btw, 114k Health).

If it makes you feel better, I have a 17k defense Pala, Bulkwark Path and yesterday I got one shotted twice in CC. Once by a normal warrior melee attack (the larger elite guys) for roughly 138k and once by moving too late out of a Hexers red circle and getting hit for 190k or so.

Stuff like that just shouldn't happen if you decide on a def build and give up most of your offense for it.

Current spec - suggestions welcome:

CGjKroL.jpg
    edited April 2015
    kaiserschmarrn my current thoughts are:

Wrathful Strikes should be 3/3 because most of your attacks will be with your at-wills.
    Exemplar's Haste is fine at 1/3, its at least a 2% reduction in recharge time.

Dominating Presence at 5/5 gives you a lot more effect for your Auras, which means more of the party/team will benefit at a time.

Holy Resurgence at 5/5 because faster recharge on your Sanctuary is better than the small amount of control resistance (which only shortens the duration of CC effects that you might happen to be hit by).

I think Sanctity is better than Martyr's because 10% chance of a small reduction is not as strong as either the defence or deflect buff that Sanctity gives, and you can be certain to proc Sanctity thanks to our Sanctuary.

The big question I have at this time is really Dominating vs Light's Shield. Light's is a personal buff and always helps you, Dominating makes it easier for a party to benefit from your Auras. If Aura's Gifts is "Aura AoE" and not just a set 30' that makes Dominating better (considering you are putting 5/5 in a feat just for allies), but its hard to actually observe these things in game.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited April 2015
    Agree about Holy Resurgence, when I first picked this my stamina seemed to last forever, but this has changed now in T2 dungeons. Gonna change that when I respec next.

The rest is mostly a matter of taste, more cdr from Exemplar's Haste helps to keep Shields and temp HP up, if I made an offensive build I would switch it out for Wrathful though.

Sanctity does not stack and the 30 secs cooldown seems long, also it's only one stat, one of the possible options being Regen which is relatively useless. And 420 of any stat is usually just 1% more resist or deflect. No big advantage here I think.

Also my whole build is about defense, so I prefer Light's to Dom.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    He meant the Path not the tree. Justice tree capstone works for devotion path, doesnt work for protection. I hope its on the check list for the 23rd

Haven't rolled a Paladin yet (was waiting for this fix). Has it been fixed yet?
    I aim to misbehave
    edited April 2015
    Sanctity isn't 420, its 60x70 = 4200, that's a 10% boost (roughly). :)

Yes sometimes it doesn't proc on DR or Deflect but its only a 33% chance of hitting Regen vs a much smaller chance of Martyr's even procing at all. Yes Sanctity is down for 30s, but in long fights its certain to be up several times, while you may not see Martyr's even proc.

All that said one of my big questions is if Aura Gifts is better than Martyr's and I suspect that depends on the party you are with at the time. Lots of melee folks in your party and Aura Gifts is a potential big boost to party DPS. If you are holding the middle while ranged people hang back and zap stuff Martyr's is probably going to do you more favours.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • nevistusnevistus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just hit 70 last night so I can't tell you about instances, but I've soloed everything including the 5-man HEs and solo instances all the way through spinward without dying using this super sekrit combo, so I'll let you guys in on it. You wanna go Justice tree, even without the capstone working you'll still be untouchable with endless winning. The only mandatory feat is echoes of light. Get this and never worry ever again. Use shielding for solo mobs only, spam radiant strike on two or more. Reason is there's a neat little interaction with your aoe at will and echoes, I'll let you figure it out. Encounters I use are templar's for infinite temp hp, smite as a reserve skill to proc echoes, and relentless because AP gain. With relentless, think mod 1 shield popping, if you catch my drift. Slot your one shot nuke and divine protection for dailies. Spam at wills, pop templars for free hp, relentless for free AP, keep DP up almost 100% of the time because endless AP gain, win at neverwinter.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hi all i mybe this will help some of you .
    So i share my build .

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/op?b=2so4:zb5oan:9ktp:6090f,1xii153:1uu0000:1000000:1u0zovv&h=1&p=oop

Start with full con 13 cha 13 wis
    On every stat lvl place 1 on con and 1 on char.

Gear selection focusing on recovery and crit on all def slots radiants on all offensive silvery.
    Companions go with faun and sprites for more ap gain+ stone .

Armor enchant SF .(cuz if you die you will full heal your pt)
    Weapon enchant chose one y like . Mybe vorpal its cheap now and helps a bit with healing + to buld up some temp hp with templars wrath.
    Frost is a good option too.

Aura: wisdom & Courage all time

Powers : avenger/ Templars .W
    3th power optional Divine.T have bad dmg but nice ap gain / Smite is usefull aganst bosses cuz it will reduce they 1-4 mill hit to 870k-3mill.
    Binding oath is good option too cuz bosses/mobs in Epic dungeon hit millions and you can reflect from 1 mill 200 k back but you will die 90% of the time .
    another 3th power can be Cleansing.T.

Daly : Lay.o.H /Divine Protector

I dont want to go in gameplay details .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited April 2015
    Sanctity isn't 420, its 60x70 = 4200, that's a 10% boost (roughly). :)

Yes sometimes it doesn't proc on DR or Deflect but its only a 33% chance of hitting Regen vs a much smaller chance of Martyr's even procing at all. Yes Sanctity is down for 30s, but in long fights its certain to be up several times, while you may not see Martyr's even proc.

All that said one of my big questions is if Aura Gifts is better than Martyr's and I suspect that depends on the party you are with at the time. Lots of melee folks in your party and Aura Gifts is a potential big boost to party DPS. If you are holding the middle while ranged people hang back and zap stuff Martyr's is probably going to do you more favours.

Oh my...I only glanced at it and miscalculated. You're right :)