Install Arc
Options

Feat and Power Points Bug Fix

Comments

• Options
    locksanpocketslocksanpockets Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

For the Feats and Power Points bug, our developers have stated that only players who have not used their free Respec have this issue. The issue can be resolved by using the free Respec.

Hope this helps!

I bugged myself by putting 4 points on Gloaming Cut before I was level 70. I still had my Free Respec though. Free Respec fixed the problem.

Many thanks to all involved resolving this issue!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've been able to commit feat points once I reached lvl 70 on my CW on the 24th and I didn't use the free respec. I'm not able to commit more power points on my DC on which I used the free respec before the 23rd though.
  • Options
    abeodesee72abeodesee72 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i've got new characters that cant commit changes on boons also
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I've been able to commit feat points once I reached lvl 70 on my CW on the 24th and I didn't use the free respec. I'm not able to commit more power points on my DC on which I used the free respec before the 23rd though.

Weird. My DC ended up bugged but it resolved when I hit 70 on him and I used up the points that had sat since the 23rd.

Did your DC have many overflow power points or a lot of R4s? I wonder if that's the deciding factor, maybe. You didn't have 70 points put in non-R3 powers because of R4 spends on the DC but had that on the CW?

I know in my case Eltain had more than 70 points in powers and hadn't respecced before I ran out of things I could take I cared about and threw a fourth dot in Foresight out of apathy, with the result I guess that when he hit 70 and it ran its checks for valid prerequisites it came up as a pass since I had both 70 points spent and level 70.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

For the Feats and Power Points bug, our developers have stated that only players who have not used their free Respec have this issue. The issue can be resolved by using the free Respec.

Hope this helps!

This is not true. A couple of my alts used the free respec (they were using feats from trees other than their main one and I wanted them to focus on one tree at level 70) and cannot commit new feats and powers.
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Annoyed to have had to use my free respec to fix this on one of my characters.

Just something to consider for anyone who still regards this as an exploit: during the respec of skills, Rank IV paragon encounters still say level 65 with 65 points spent.

screenshot_2015-04-28-11-48.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12050679/screenshot_2015-04-28-11-48.jpg
  • Options
    nasfaelnasfael Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

Hope this helps!

Hello,
    Unfortunately that's wrong, I did use the free respec shortly after Mod6 release, have none available, and do have the bug.
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I used my free respec already but I gained 2 powerpoints and I cant use them (I have 92 in total).
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    jiinksjiinks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    . . .
    Though, speaking as a software engineer, I do wonder how the free respec and the paid one can behave differently in software land...

The free respec includes a reset on Power points. The AD respec resets feats and boons, but not Powers. More detail below:

From the behavior, it is clear that Power point spend is validated by the software / scripts that commit feat and boon changes. The bug is that the ruleset / logic for this validation on Power points was changed in Thursday's patch, but existing character data was not changed to fit the newly enforced rules.

Specifically, before Thursday's patch it was possible to move some Powers to rank 4 before reaching level 70 + spending 70 Power points. Thursday's patch changed the check to include this criteria. So now, when the game sees that a character has a rank 4 Power, but does not meet the newly enforced criteria of level 70 + over 70 Power points spent, it rejects any feat/boon change when the player tries to commit.

Anything that resets Powers will fix this since the current software / scripts will be in effect, and the spend will be valid under the current ruleset. Anything that doesn't reset Powers will not fix it.

It is also possible to workaround it by reaching level 70 and having more than 70 Power points spent since this also creates a valid configuration for the Power point check.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

Hope this helps!

Sorry, strumslinger, this is not true - it may resolve *some*, but not all, of the problems. This post in the bug reports section pretty much sums up the problem and solution.

In short: I had the bug, I never used the respec, after I hit level 70 and SPENT 71 points, I could save again.

The key seems to be hit level 70 AND spend 71 points - because the criteria for a fourth power level is being level 70 AND having spent 70 points.

The double-check would be if you had already spent 70 points - presumably, the program checks to see if you have spent 70 points first. Regardless if you're respeccing or leveling up, if you spent points in a 4th tier power and do not have at least 71 points to spend, the programming will not allow you to save changes because you do not meet the criteria.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »

[Removed previous questions of mine]

Based on a screenshot of your DC Powers that you posted, there are too many rank 4s according to the current game logic. See this post later in the thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?911971-Feat-and-Power-Points-Bug-Fix&p=10764341&viewfull=1#post10764341

Also, you are correct that having done a previous respec or not has nothing to do with the current bug.
  • Options
    vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am level 70, already used the free respec before last week's patch, and have 73 earned power points. When I earned my 74 I could not spend it, so it is not just an arbitrary number. The game is seeing that I have my at wills and my class feature passives at rank 4 whereas under the new rules I could only get my at-wills to rank 4, so it is not letting me add a power point. Personally, forgetting the bug, I think lvl 70 and 70 points is rather annoying and sad for new characters made since we get to up our at wills and nothing else basically, not even 1 set of encounters or passive features. I liked the lvl 65 and 65 points for paragon features/skills, it made sense to me actually, and made the paragon path skills/feats more valuable since they could be ranked up earlier. I think it was a mistake to change it. Now I will have to earn a couple million xp for a chance to regain what I lost due to this bugfix or design decision change.
    Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I am level 70, already used the free respec before last week's patch, and have 73 earned power points. When I earned my 74 I could not spend it, so it is not just an arbitrary number. The game is seeing that I have my at wills and my class feature passives at rank 4 whereas under the new rules I could only get my at-wills to rank 4, so it is not letting me add a power point. Personally, forgetting the bug, I think lvl 70 and 70 points is rather annoying and sad for new characters made since we get to up our at wills and nothing else basically, not even 1 set of encounters or passive features. I liked the lvl 65 and 65 points for paragon features/skills, it made sense to me actually, and made the paragon path skills/feats more valuable since they could be ranked up earlier. I think it was a mistake to change it.

How many rank 4s do you currently have?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I had 5, 2 at wills, the 2 equipped passive features, and 1 encounter, 3 of those were only possible under the old rules, so I will be losing out (before I spend my 74 power point) on my encounter and 1 passive feature which will be going back to rank 3. Just annoying to me personally.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I had 5, 2 at wills, the 2 equipped passive features, and 1 encounter, 3 of those were only possible under the old rules, so I will be losing out (before I spend my 74 power point) on my encounter and 1 passive feature which will be going back to rank 3. Just annoying to me personally.

Yeah, I can certainly understand that.

Just trying to figure out the exact game behavior because I have a bugged character, and I'm planning to un-bug her at level 70 without a respec. So, it looks like game logic is checking to make sure you have 70 Power points + 1 additional Power point for each rank 4. In your case, this would have been 75, and therefore, it wouldn't let you commit with 74.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Since I already spent my free respec before the patch when I hit 70, I will have to pay for the fix unless they force a respec on us. So I guess for now I will just earn power points and stay in stasis until I hit the necessary points to keep what I have and not lose anything. Not going to pay for a respec though. Right now it's pay to go down in power for me lol...sorry.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Since I already spent my free respec before the patch when I hit 70, I will have to pay for the fix unless they force a respec on us. So I guess for now I will just earn power points and stay in stasis until I hit the necessary points to keep what I have and not lose anything. Still not sure I will pay for a respec though. Right now it's pay to go down in power for me lol...hard to do.

When you hit level 70 and have enough Power points to keep the rank 4s you have with the current criteria, just spend them all. At that point, it will let you commit. You won't need a respec.

Respec is an instant gratification fix. Also, a fresh level 70 character (one who never experienced the bonus experience bar flip when 60 was max level) will only have 70 power points, and would have to wait for the bonus experience bar to flip and get a power point gift (or 2, or 3, or x) before being able to meet the criteria depending on the number of rank 4s they have. That could take a really long time.

And then there are the unfortunate characters who spent AD to respec feats and boons and are now basically unplayable. Waiting for level 70 + extra power points isn't practical for many of them, either.
  • Options
    webbigwebbig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have used free respec, my GWF is lvl70 and have used 86 power points.

Have 1 unused and it can not currently be used. Hoping they fix this bug soon.
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jiinks wrote: »
    When you hit level 70 and have enough Power points to keep the rank 4s you have with the current criteria, just spend them all. At that point, it will let you commit. You won't need a respec..

This has not been true for many people. Perhaps you got lucky. Grats!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That's fair enough Jiinks. I just stay where I am for a couple million xp earned (assuming I get power points). Then I just want to state that I think this is a horrible design decision for any new character. They hit level 70, get rank 4 on an at-will, and then see they have 4.2million xp gain ahead of them to earn enough power points to rank 4 1 set of skills, assuming they get a power point each time? I think, for new players, the design decision should be to allow new players to rank 4 1 set of skills at cap, and earn the rest. Right now, it feels like we're leveling to 90 just to earn our first set of skills at rank 4 which is balanced for the current content.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

Hope this helps!

Or you hit level 70 and do it then - seemed to fix the issue on one of my characters.
    That being said, it's pretty poor form to force people to use a free respec on account of a problem cause by the programmers. Everyone should have another free respec made available to them at level 70.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Indeed. My first character I was taking through to lvl 70 couldn't get power or feat points spent. But once I hit level 70 I could then spend all the accumulated power and feat points. Not a solution to the bug introduced with the last patch, but a not-too-bad workaround, if you can make it to lvl 70.
  • Options
    baszun67baszun67 Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys,

Hope this helps!

Definitely did use respec, RANK 4 WEAPON MASTER STILL DOES NOT PROC!!!!!!!##!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thING I can now properly spec a power that DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.
  • Options
    voidvincentvoidvincent Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Agreed, the "fix" mentioned in the new thread in Pve discussion was actually not a fix but a misguided attempt at a run around.
  • Options
    herpnderp2herpnderp2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They only care about making you spend $$, make money and ignore game breaking bugs :cool:
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Hey everyone,
    We've been looking more into this issue. I'll update you guys ASAP.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My faith in humanity is restored. Glad to hear about the bug, being further investigated.

P.S. All the needed information about said bug, can be found here:
    A detailed Youtube video of the bug / 3:52 min. (credits to the uploader.)
    A thread with detailed explanations / 190+ replies. (which sadly is closed.)

This discussion has been closed.