test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yes, still here and hoping...

prettyceltprettycelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 777 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Yes, I'm still here, but not because I am enjoying myself. Now it's because I feel as though I am self-obligated to wrench out my money's worth (several hundred dollars in the last two weeks alone for Zen) spent on refining artifact belt, artifact cloak, artifact weapon, artifact talisman, just plain artifacts.....

And it's still not good enough.

I finally...FINALLY made it to 70 through the thankless, tedious lagfest of all the elemental maps, got the new artifact mainhand and offhand, and immediately refined them to purple and blue respectively, then figured I'd try my luck once again in Icewind Dale, which I'd always enjoyed, and it had the added benefit of supplying black ice for my complete Corrupted BI set (I won't even get into the time and stress it took to get the gloves for that way back when, that's another story as many can attest). I meticulously chose powers to strike a balance between damage and control, and put up my Shield, then waded into Need for Mead to test my newfound might...

It was like being a kindergartner in a bad neighborhood high school. Yeah, I damage a few, maybe kill one or two if I'm lucky, die. Go back in, barely get past the gate, get hit despite dodging, die. Go into my (now longer casting time, thanks for that) Daily to try and scoop them up, get nailed for 2/3 of my health, dodge, get run down, die. The pattern continues. This is not fun, this is not entertainment. This is just a waste of Injury kits (ya know, the new ones I had to buy because I'm 70 now...).

Now of course there will be the flaming trolls who get on here and go 'hurrhurr L2P!', there always is. Their opinions don't matter to me. I can tell you that I've been here for almost two years, invested heavily in maxing out my main, and I do know 'how to play'. I have frequently dominated the Damage Dealt and number of kills on the scoreboards in skirmishes and group content and comported myself well in PvP (which I despise but did for vanity gear). And maybe my play style is different than yours, I don't know...everyone does it their own way. Mine has worked just fine (better than fine) this entire time, until now.

What I do know is that you, Cryptic, are obviously expecting us (forcing us, really) to run out and start from scratch, swallowing our hard-earned pride to strip down to our skivvies and put on Blues with NO set bonus, crappy stat bonuses, and utter lack of style JUST for massive amounts of hit points in order to survive your 'renovated content'. Hey, if you had wanted to keep that limited to the new maps, personally I would have been cool with that...I would have done my time there and NEVER gone back again. But no, you just HAD to mess with what wasn't broken and totally F up all of my favorite zones like Sharandar, IWD and DR. All in the name of 'paving the way' for future mods.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Have you slotted new equipment with additional HP?

Also a tanky companion may be helpful (that helped me in IWD with my CW).

Need for Mead was difficult, but I did it with Elemental Gear (blue one from Well of Dragons), Galeb Dur, Lifesteal 7,5% and with Fanning the Flames (Tab), Icy Terrain, Time Steal and Shield.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The whole mod is a beta for future content...or at least i hope that. Its not the difficulty the problem but being 1 shotted by pretty much everything and bosses having 200kk hp which makes them basically unkillable without exploiting
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Several hundred dollars for a game you don't enjoy? Cryptic needs more people like you.
    You are a blessing. :)
    Thank you for helping this game live so I can enjoy it.
  • Options
    lastwolf25lastwolf25 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    neirgara wrote: »
    Have you slotted new equipment with additional HP?

Also a tanky companion may be helpful (that helped me in IWD with my CW).

Need for Mead was difficult, but I did it with Elemental Gear (blue one from Well of Dragons), Galeb Dur, Lifesteal 7,5% and with Fanning the Flames (Tab), Icy Terrain, Time Steal and Shield.

And what about people who just started the game at all? I got access to sharandar, WoD and DD 4 days BEFORE mod6 was launched so it's pretty hard for me or anyone else in my situation who can get something in those maps
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The old ways of doing things are done.. sure those set bonuses are super duper, doesnt help much when you die so easily.

I have plenty of complaints about the game, gear change isnt one.

RP grinding is too gated,
    ad salvage is gone.. not good.
    Common mobs hitting for 100k in DDs.. not good.
    Lag .. not good.

Things change in a mmo, but they need to find better balance for grind gating, its too high.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    lastwolf25 wrote: »
    And what about people who just started the game at all? I got access to sharandar, WoD and DD 4 days BEFORE mod6 was launched so it's pretty hard for me or anyone else in my situation who can get something in those maps

What about these people?

Nothing of the cited things is unavailable for you, except perhaps the Elemental Gear. And if you are not able / willing to invest the diamonds or Zen into a Galeb Dur, then try any other blue defender, it doesn't really matter.

But to have unlocked the Need for Mead quest you will have played for some time there (and usually you should also already have finished Sharandar and Dread Ring which grants you many boons and new equipment), which should be enough to gear up.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So if they changed the color of those better stuff to purple, would you wear it?
    The old ways of doing things are done.. sure those set bonuses are super duper, doesnt help much when you die so easily.

I have plenty of complaints about the game, gear change isnt one.

RP grinding is too gated,
    ad salvage is gone.. not good.
    Common mobs hitting for 100k in DDs.. not good.
    Lag .. not good.

Things change in a mmo, but they need to find better balance for grind gating, its too high.

This. Complaining that changes bring change is kinda silly IMO.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    prettycelt wrote: »

Now, if they added a way for me to refine and improve my epic 60 armor that I slaved for and agonized over, I would be down with that....

I guess you have not looked at the new levels in black ice crafting. You can take your level 60 black ice armor and upgrade it.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Look, the devs don't want you wearing gear that was available in beta 2 years later.

Every MMO has a gear treadmill, but in Neverwinter the OP set bonuses kept people from changing gear. Cryptic's solution was to add 10 levels and make harder-hitting mobs so that people finally feel the need to change gear.

As unsche said, if the blue gear from WoD was epic, would it make you feel better? Just swallow your color prejudice and wear it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I guess you have not looked at the new levels in black ice crafting. You can take your level 60 black ice armor and upgrade it.

To a blue weak set though, you'll be dissapointed, it's very far from BIS.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    umsche wrote: »
    So if they changed the color of those better stuff to purple, would you wear it?

Probably most would do it.

And had they never invented Life Drain before and NOW implemted it in the actual way, everyone would be "LS is OP, everyone is healing like hell, Tanks and Healers are obsolete now! GIVE ME STUFF FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY MY GF/DC!!!1111oneoneeleven1!"
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    umsche wrote: »
    To a blue weak set though, you'll be dissapointed, it's very far from BIS.

It's still better then level 60 purples. It's an improvement in every way over the old black ice armor.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    from my testing [ i finished all t2 ], the attempt to not make GF and DC obsolete failed with the introduction of paladins.
    this class has double HP of a GF [ given by temporary HP ] and with good gears can live in perma daily granting 100% damage reduction to a whole party. Even if spec'd as tank can easily heal itself for 100k hp.
    paladin best support class in game.
    cw best damage dealer class.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    from my testing [ i finished all t2 ], the attempt to not make GF and DC obsolete failed with the introduction of paladins.
    this class has double HP of a GF [ given by temporary HP ] and with good gears can live in perma daily granting 100% damage reduction to a whole party. Even if spec'd as tank can easily heal itself for 100k hp.
    paladin best support class in game.
    cw best damage dealer class.
    Even at mid levels on Preview with lousy gear I got to the point where I soloed lairs by pulling every mob I could into one huge pack and tanking them all. Use the right feats/powers and a Tankadin is practically immortal.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seems like you'd get more bang from a highly-decorated augment companion than Galeb Dur. . . There's some pretty serious companion-only gear that can be bought on the AH (several have dropped for me in TotSC). You could get a 4k Power boost (or more) from your augment companion alone . . .

Just a thought.

And I still think most lag is caused by those with Cogent upstream. I ONLY get lag when there are LOTS of other players fighting at the same time.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Seems like you'd get more bang from a highly-decorated augment companion than Galeb Dur. . . There's some pretty serious companion-only gear that can be bought on the AH (several have dropped for me in TotSC). You could get a 4k Power boost (or more) from your augment companion alone . . .

Just a thought.

And I still think most lag is caused by those with Cogent upstream. I ONLY get lag when there are LOTS of other players fighting at the same time.

The thing is, most of us had 0 lag issues before m6.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You went to an endgame zone without proper dungeon gear. Is really cryptic the one to blame? I can solo well of the dragon with my healer, it's long, it's tedious because my dps is horrible, but it works. Because I've played some T1 dungeons, which are very easy, and got what I need to do what I want. also, most of my gear is blue, my cloak is barely blue, my main hand is lvl 18 and my offhand is still green. So you know what you have to do now. You could have completed VT instead of posting such a long rant, and you'd have made real progress in game, instead of expecting everything to be handed out to you. :)
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This entire expansion is a grind. Nobody WANTS to do these quests, Cryptic. I haven't even made it out of the Drowned Shore, and I'm already done with this. I can't stand the thought of doing this 3 more times in old zones that have altered weather effects.
    It's becoming less and less about Dungeons and Dragons, and more of a Refinement simulator.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    spookholiospookholio Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I meticulously chose powers to strike a balance between damage and control, and put up my Shield, then waded into Need for Mead to test my newfound might...

It was like being a kindergartner in a bad neighborhood high school.

This had me laughing! I'm not there yet, but I'll sort of know what to expect now.

When I hit 70 I'll have enough to buy 2 pieces of pvp gear and I'll just bite the bullet and slip on 2 pieces of AH blue gear for now.

I think the game will be more playable the "closer" we all are to level 70 BiS gear - it better! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ...that we're being asked (well, not asked really, more like railroaded) to just throw away all of our purple armor sets with their nifty set bonuses, and after having stocked them up with high-level gems and weapon enchantments, spent resources on changing their looks, and carefully planning out a balance of stat bonuses to optimize our builds...for Blues??? With no set bonuses, substandard stat bonuses and no way to improve them? Just so we aren't pwned for lack of HP? No...frickin'...way.

This is your problem. The answer is a resounding YES. If you're having trouble letting go of the past, then you're going to struggle in the present.

Personally, I ditched my High Vizier armor at level 61. I picked up the Eternal set from the ToD vendor, and it's been working fantastic. It actually levels with you, so I've been doing fine working up to level 70. Sure, the content is harder, but far from frustrating. And I'm sure going from 32k to 54k HP in that set has been a huge help. I even reworked a few of my defensive gem slots to get more lifesteal, and adjusted the loadout of my companion, and it's been a fun ride to 70.

But the point is, I adapted to the new module. And so should you.

If you continue to try and throw yourself against the wall in your old and obsolete level 60 epics, you're going to get trashed.

It's time to move on.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It was like being a kindergartner in a bad neighborhood high school. Yeah, I damage a few, maybe kill one or two if I'm lucky, die. Go back in, barely get past the gate, get hit despite dodging, die. Go into my (now longer casting time, thanks for that) Daily to try and scoop them up, get nailed for 2/3 of my health, dodge, get run down, die. The pattern continues. This is not fun, this is not entertainment. This is just a waste of Injury kits (ya know, the new ones I had to buy because I'm 70 now...).

Now of course there will be the flaming trolls who get on here and go 'hurrhurr L2P!', there always is. Their opinions don't matter to me. I can tell you that I've been here for almost two years, invested heavily in maxing out my main, and I do know 'how to play'. I have frequently dominated the Damage Dealt and number of kills on the scoreboards in skirmishes and group content and comported myself well in PvP (which I despise but did for vanity gear). And maybe my play style is different than yours, I don't know...everyone does it their own way. Mine has worked just fine (better than fine) this entire time, until now.

Friends can do wonders. Try to team up for dailies.
    There are some companions that can greatly increase your survavibility. Try to use an Angel of Protection, you don't need to use her 100% of your playtime, just for dailies if they hit you so hard.
    During the instance runs you can summon an augumentation companion.

I hope this helps,
    Almondum
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Leave the super-tough zones for those players that get off on that sort of thing (and who actually don't mind trashing their hard-won un-refineable epics for hit point garbage blues),

I don't get this. They're not "garbage" blues. They have better stats than any of your purples from level 60. Higher level gear is better. The colored border just represents the quality of that level of gear. Blue 70 gear is BETTER than Purple 60 gear. Just like Blue 60 gear is better than Purple 50 gear, etc...

If you had a level 60 player complaining in Module 5 that the campaign zones were too hard, but then you looked at his gear and he was wearing all level 50 stuff, what would you say? You'd tell him to go get some level 60 gear. And if he rationalized it by saying that his level 50 gear was "optimized" for his build, then what? The answers easy...if he's dying like crazy, then his gear OBVIOUSLY isn't optimized.

So here's the real deal, sister. Your "optimized" level 60 gear is NOT optimal anymore. It's junk. So the sooner you get over that, the sooner you forget about the pretty colored border around the gear, and the sooner you start actually investing in better stuff at 70, the sooner you'll get back into the swing of things.

Module 6 isn't broken. It's the players that are refusing to adapt that's broken.

Tough love, I know, but that's the truth.

If you're going to do level 70 content, you need to put on level 70 gear.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    This is your problem. The answer is a resounding YES. If you're having trouble letting go of the past, then you're going to struggle in the present.

Personally, I ditched my High Vizier armor at level 61. I picked up the Eternal set from the ToD vendor, and it's been working fantastic. It actually levels with you, so I've been doing fine working up to level 70. Sure, the content is harder, but far from frustrating. And I'm sure going from 32k to 54k HP in that set has been a huge help. I even reworked a few of my defensive gem slots to get more lifesteal, and adjusted the loadout of my companion, and it's been a fun ride to 70.

But the point is, I adapted to the new module. And so should you.

If you continue to try and throw yourself against the wall in your old and obsolete level 60 epics, you're going to get trashed.

It's time to move on.
    And once again, someone who assumes that everyone has access to the Eternal gear. Many - possibly most - of us do not. Certainly no new players have access to it because some genius decided that L61-L70 levelling gear needed currency only available in an L70 campaign filled with L73 mobs.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My righteous/virtuous DC still does dragon heralds in T1 high prophet when there are 20 people to support me.

My master of flame CW leveled to 70 in T2 high vizier with angel of protection and shield on tab with icy terrain and icy veins feat.

steal time applies 3 stacks of HV. icy terrain applies 1 HV stack.
    disintegrate applies 0 HV stacks.

Whether or not HV is still worthwhile to wear depends on your cooldown times and which powers you use.
    In module 6, I rely more on icy terrain than steal time.
    In module 5, I used chill strike on tab to put 3 HV stacks on target but stopped using chill strike in module 6.
    For me, HV is less beneficial now.

My opinion of IWD is that soloing is not intended. If you want to solo, you better make a very tanky build.
    By the way, many healer companions heal a % of max health.
    Higher max health = more healing from healer companion.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    'Module 6 isn't broken. It's the players that are refusing to adapt that's broken'

It doesn't matter who you point this broken term at, if these changes result in a reducing player-base & reducing income for Cryptic, then they will see it as unsuccessful. And changes will happen.

They have taken a gamble with Mod 6 - a gamble that players who enjoyed previous content levels and style of play, will suddenly decide that that wasn't what they wanted all this time.
    That the previous game of soloing content - then grouping up for dungeons/instances - wasn't really their favourite play-style after all.

How they reached into the minds of many players who had enjoyed the previous format, and saw through this as actually being false - I do not know. But one way or another, they came to the conclusion that a lot of the player base was subconsciously unhappy with the previous format - despite all outward signs of not being unhappy.

So now they have given the player base a different game.
    - Some people will adapt.
    - Others may decide that if they had really wanted to play a different game, they would already have been playing that different one somewhere else, and will now look for a game format similar as to how Neverwinter used to be.

A gamble indeed by Cryptic.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............