test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You will not believe this LOL, too funny...or wierd

drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
okay not reporting a bug or complaining BUT I swear this is all true, I have tested it over and over and have multiple witnesses. I have had a recurring problem for about 8 months, started after a patch, went away then came back after another patch and has just stayed and no one at support can figure it out.
So anyway, I click the NW shortcut and the login box comes up black with just loading please wait in the upper left, CANNOT be a connection because another puter right next to me works perfect every time. if I close it and reopen enough times it finally loads and i Can login and press play. kind of a pain but I can still play so i just learned to live with it.
SOOOOO the other day I thought " hey I have a screen recorder that I can record the problem and show them because it never really felt like they understood what I was talking about.
So I select and area of the screen where the box comes up and you can see the shortcut, start recording click the shortcut, AND.....it works perfectly LOL. AND it works perfectly every time if I'm recording it and only if I'm recording the area that
contains the shortcut and the area the box comes up in. LMAO , I have checked and it doesn't matter how many times I have tried it before I open the app and record. whether its the first or the 20th, once i open and record BOOM! it works.
I think I have recaps in my puter or gremlins. Just wanted to share the hilarity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Have you tried launching while Internet Explorer is running in background? The launcher has a built in IE web-browser for launcher news and stuff, maybe it works if that is pre-loaded and fails if not.

If that does work you might try looking at your browser helper objects - maybe you have some spamware/adware going on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/298931

And make sure your on the latest Internet Explorer available for your OS and your OS has latest updates.
  • rovadixrovadix Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2015
    record it with your camera lol
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drezzat wrote: »
    okay not reporting a bug or complaining BUT I swear this is all true, I have tested it over and over and have multiple witnesses. I have had a recurring problem for about 8 months, started after a patch, went away then came back after another patch and has just stayed and no one at support can figure it out.
    So anyway, I click the NW shortcut and the login box comes up black with just loading please wait in the upper left, CANNOT be a connection because another puter right next to me works perfect every time. if I close it and reopen enough times it finally loads and i Can login and press play. kind of a pain but I can still play so i just learned to live with it.
    SOOOOO the other day I thought " hey I have a screen recorder that I can record the problem and show them because it never really felt like they understood what I was talking about.
    So I select and area of the screen where the box comes up and you can see the shortcut, start recording click the shortcut, AND.....it works perfectly LOL. AND it works perfectly every time if I'm recording it and only if I'm recording the area that
    contains the shortcut and the area the box comes up in. LMAO , I have checked and it doesn't matter how many times I have tried it before I open the app and record. whether its the first or the 20th, once i open and record BOOM! it works.
    I think I have recaps in my puter or gremlins. Just wanted to share the hilarity.

Eh, nothing a good Exorcism won't cure.............

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rovadix wrote: »
    record it with your camera lol

Now THATS a helpful idea! but what if it works then LOL???
    edited April 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Have you tried launching while Internet Explorer is running in background? The launcher has a built in IE web-browser for launcher news and stuff, maybe it works if that is pre-loaded and fails if not.

If that does work you might try looking at your browser helper objects - maybe you have some spamware/adware going on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/298931

And make sure your on the latest Internet Explorer available for your OS and your OS has latest updates.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about running the game. There's no browser running.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about running the game. There's no browser running.

I know. The launcher contains within it IE HTML rendering components. The "news" at the top right, and after you login the little news/ads that cycle through about 5-6 pictures uses those IE engine components.

THAT is why I asked IF it works if you have IE running when you try launching.

IF it does happen to work, then PERHAPS your IE engine has some things called "Browser Helper Objects" which is typically where adware/spyware/spamware hooks itself into your IE framework.
  • swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I have had this problem on and off aswell. Very frustrating.

In my search for a solution i found something surprisingly ironic....

http://launcher.playneverwinter.com/launcher_login

Thats right - the launcher screen is infact a persistant webpage with an embedded section which connects securely to the logon server. Also a small bit at the top which displays your login name once you have logged in.

All of the updates in news, sales, server status appear to be updated here and thats what the launcher screen goes to.

As yet when it happens all i can do is close and restart the launcher again and again once the "loading" appears for more than ~3s. Eventually it works. No rhyme or reason. If left it wont connect when it is bugged.
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015

Then we all would know that it is not your computer but that you need to see an eye doctor :cool:

But seriously, do take a picture or a video of it. It will say so much more.

For now do I suggest you update your graphics card driver and check for any Windows updates like for DirectX as it sounds a bit like an issue with those.
    Stay frosty.
  • nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tend to agree with it being a browser based issue. I had completely uninstalled IE from my computer a few years back and was playing a game that launched and did its news very much like Neverwinter does, after uninstalling IE I could not get into my game. I reinstalled IE and it started working again. So now I keep IE installed and just don't use it for my daily browsing.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Then I would point you to the post directly above this. Time to get a priest and some holy water.....Shouldnt cause any problems for your computer or monitor. :)
  • arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Thanks the Gods that someone else has this problem!!

i sent a very wordy support ticket for the 3rd time last night, after trying close to 100 times to get the "loading please wait" screen to "pop" the login screen.

i repaired Arc, uninstalled, re-installed, updated all drivers, launched directly from the .exe, launched from steam, restarted entire computer.

Support will only respond and close the ticket with "here are a few links to help you" all of which do not, and they refuse to let me re-open the ticket.

now that i know it's not exclusive to just me, i can start to investigate further as the IE remarks are familiar - when i first installed the cryptic launcher (pre-arc days) it was infested with spyware and adware, and in correcting that, had to clean out a lot of files from the directory, repair, and got it to work properly.

the real question is, after having it fully functional, then updates from cryptic caused this, is this evidence of spyware/adware directly from Cryptic? if I find results in their directory, i'll let this thread know.
    edited April 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    I know. The launcher contains within it IE HTML rendering components. The "news" at the top right, and after you login the little news/ads that cycle through about 5-6 pictures uses those IE engine components.

THAT is why I asked IF it works if you have IE running when you try launching.

IF it does happen to work, then PERHAPS your IE engine has some things called "Browser Helper Objects" which is typically where adware/spyware/spamware hooks itself into your IE framework.

okay gotcha but I never use IE but I will check it