test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning player

bori08bori08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Nine Hells
So i decided to re-roll a SW and i was wondering if there's any guide for leveling? i wanna be useful in groups and in solo play. main focus PvE not interested in PvP. thanks.
Post edited by bori08 on

Comments

• Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    SB Fury, you can play offtank an deal good damage, or you go SB temptation so be a big supporter/healer and off-tank dealing abit less damage than fury
    Hellbringer is more damage all in all, but less tanky, less selfheal
    whats going to happen in mod 6? I don´t know, but all i see is that classes have big problems in soloing simple dailies, so take the tanky way i think
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looking towards Mod 6, my testing is suggesting Soulbinder Fury would be good for PvE team/solo play. That's the way I am leaning currently... If that changes I'll update my guide accordingly, but it's what my opinion as of today! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    bori08bori08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    where can i find info on that off tank one? is it this one http://mmominds.com/2014/10/20/rakshavas-off-tank-temptation-support-sw-guide/

or where can i find the SB fury one. Thanks again fro the input.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    there is no actual SB fury build for PVE, the only is for PVP, but since mod 6 comes noone can exactly tell you what is going to be the best deal in taking boons and feads until now
    i used this one focussed for PVP
    if i would focus PVE i would take crit , power , arp , more offensive boons, don´t know what slotting HP helps, since you get lots of it by armor, and in case of having 115000 or 115800 it is not much benefit, so lifesteal, deflect? ask the pros

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?827221-Misery-s-fury-PvP-build-and-insight-on-PvP-SW

just don´t take tenebrous since they fail in mod 6
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, kind of bad timing to play SW. My honest advise is don't bother and just roll a CW, it will shine in m6 I am sure. Because overall it feels like SW is gonna be a pre m5 TR.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    :( really.. i wanted to main a paladin and a lock but i guess i switch since im not even lvl 10, i was looking for that healer/dps support from the lock sounded interesting.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm playing one, and I'm not fully convinced it won't work in Mod 6 - IF you go for the DoT path fully and totally...

...BUT I didn't bother to try it out, yet. From the theory side - unless they really curtailed lifesteal - it should work out, barring the weird fits and spasms of NWO's RNG. But st-/healling 100% of your damage 20% of the time, or st-/healling 20% 100% of the time are in the long run the same. Just less continuous and the curve will be full of peaks and troughs. Spikes are ineffective - topped off HP and all else goes to HP nirvana. And during trough, you'll get killed. Doh.

But the "death of a thousand cuts" an appropriately specced SW can inflict on the monsters, well, that might just work out. But ofc this is just theory, we'll miss our Diabolist's gear dearly, and... ...meh.

The black-hearted Lady Vasdamas' tip is the safer bet: CW. Will somehow always work out*. Probably. Also, don't underestimate the party-usefulness of a CW - CC is, often enough, a kind of pre-emptive healing... ...or: A well-frozen trashmob can't hurt you.

[*] As to why...: Devs are Programmers. Programmers are ultra-nerds. The ultra-nerds always played the Mage in my P&P FRP gaming parties...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    but since everyone is CW wont i be competing in drops? and worst part i deleted a 33 CW to make room for my SW. I started back in the days with a GF them move to a rogue then a hunter and now this SW when i heard that the changes might gimp us i was considering deleting my 2 60's and keep my ranger and the SW and make a paladin. so i can at the end have 1 pally 1 SW and the ranger, but i guess now it will be 1 Pally 1 ranger and 1 CW.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    411: CWs, to be truly effective, will need to be more Crowd Control focused. Also, multiple CWs will need to be different specs as adds are immune to Freeze/Chill for a while after frozen. CWs cannot just jump in to melee rangw ro cast spells and live with shield on tab as the bad guys hit too hard, or even relY on Lifesteal as they currently do.

Can CWs do more damage overall in AoE, no question. However the first type of CW you will want to bring is a focused Opressor build. SWs still do good damage in Mod 6. We may not be top, but we will be competitive with GWF/TR/HR, and we are still the best single target DPS in the game... if a GF can control threat, you can flipping melt an Elite/Boss baddie in ways other classes cannot.

Soulbinder Fury is the way I am leaning, with a Defender Companion to hold threat in soloing and even in dungeons. I will be updating my Guide eventually, just don't be all "Chicken Little" about SWs in Mod 6. Everything got harder for everyone, you'll still be desirable for DPS, just no one will be able to face roll content anymore.

Hope that helps! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sweet lol im actually enjoying it, i had a CW but i like more the Warlock playstyle, i wonder if i just clean house (delete rogue and GF) and just have my pally, SW and hunter.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bori08 wrote: »
    but since everyone is CW wont i be competing in drops?
    Loot rules have changed in m6, no more greed/need rolls. Everyone gets their personal drop from the boss, I am just wondering if Dungeon Delves makes any sense now.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    If things will get that hard in mod 6, and warlock does not count PVE and PVP wise, I will probably respec my DC and go full heal, since thats the easiest way to have success ingame, if all depends on a good performance of the healer
  • Options
    glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Before you go deleting toons, read the following thread.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?865951-why-do-some-people-have-multiple-accounts

You are allowed to have multiple accounts.
    Start another account and transfer what you need to the new account through the mail.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i wanna say thanks for all the advice and help, im playing the lock and enjoying it. i will go SB fury and see how it plays out. just waiting on that paladin see how it feels.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i wanna say thanks for all the advice and help, im playing the lock and enjoying it. i will go SB fury and see how it plays out. just waiting on that paladin see how it feels.
    Glad to hear you are holding fast to your desire to play the SW mi amigo... It's all about enjoying what you play. If you don't enjoy it, don't play it. That simple! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Glad to hear you are holding fast to your desire to play the SW mi amigo... It's all about enjoying what you play. If you don't enjoy it, don't play it. That simple! :cool:

i forgot the spell with the green orbs but when i have that and i run to a pack of mobs and the orbs go crazy and then st dps them down plus the life pull heal amazing. always end up either top or with a 1/4 health loss
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i forgot the spell with the green orbs but when i have that and i run to a pack of mobs and the orbs go crazy and then st dps them down plus the life pull heal amazing. always end up either top or with a 1/4 health loss
    Infernal Spheres?

That's a particularly good Encounter in PvP to combat/locate those **** TR ninja wannabes! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    as a warlock, your go to abilities will almost always be the following

PvE:
    - Dread Theft, no real need to explain here
    - Fiery Bolt, for running dailies and leveling, nothing beats Fiery Bolt (and actually quite good in GG pvp)
    - Killing Flames, witht he killing flames feat specced, this is one naaaaasty ability

I will substitute Fiery Bolt with Warlocks Bargain for single target big bosses, as it provides great damage, Exstra damage when used with Curse + DreadTheft with Creeping death cap stone of Fury, and it provides you increased self healing that Currently (in the live server) can make an SW nearly Immortal.

PvP:
    - Harrowstorm, it prones your target :cool:
    - Killing Flames, almost a must, it lets us wreck peoples lives in 1 fairly fast attack, just be wary of how many dodge rolls your target has left, the sound Killing FLames makes is very distinctive, and also there is a small visual on the target before the damage hits = pretty easy to dodge roll out of.
    - Fiery Bolt/Warlocks Bargain = Depends on the situation, if i find myself stuck in 1 on 1's alot, that bargain will make it really hard to kill me, but Fiery Bolt when it crits will easily kill the target if you follow up wth killing flames.

Infernal Spheres only used if you have problem with TR's, Dreadtheft is good vs TR's as well but if you use Curse+Bargain+DT on a DC, they will go down pretty fast ^^
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    btw, if i can believe what ACT tells me every thiamat and other encounter, the reason for nerfing CD and TT is obvious, as 16,7 GS PVP SB-fury build, I double the damage of a rightous DC whho is even better geared ( i have nothing legendary), or 1/4 more than a 19k Hunter or TR in the dungeon, compared on singel target i did even more damage as a 24k CW, running Dragon HE´s

the Warlock deals most damage atm, mod 6 will change things probabaly, but atm, PVE wise we top all other damagedealer, so the reason for nerfing is easy to find, all in all losing damage in CD (up to 10% loss in the sum) , TT and missing the AC-setbonus (15% of my damage)
    i will deal about 30 % less damage ? ouch

i use Warlock Bargain - Dread Theft and BOVA in mob groups/Cleric with TT , and WB - Soul Scourge - Killing Flame on singel Target/Heads

PVP is almost allways Harrow storm, orbs (anti TR) and WB/KF in times of playing mostly against TR (so u have nearly allwas problems wirth TR´s)
    if there is no TR or only a crappy 10k TR i use HS WB KF
    WB+DT only works against nubby TR´s normally imo, cause they interrrup DT and WB misses too much against high deflect builds

Clerics WB, DT + Soul Scourch 5 times in row, melts even good equipepd DC, but normall u never get the time to build them up and use them without beeing 10 times stunned or slowed or somke-bombed (on of the silliest cast imo, can´t move and silenced fpr years, crappy cryptic
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    SW till level 60, after that meh, in Mod6.

Check the preview forum for what things will look like for sws in mod6. Look at what the majority of players say.

It isn't "the sky is falling" or some unreasonable doom and gloom. Highly experienced testers are posting their experiences in detail including lengthy combat parser logs and analysis. Mod6 is looking incredibly difficult for everyone and if things go live without a ton of tweaking and scaling back, the typical party for dungeon survival will reflect the typical party for dungeon speed runs a mod or two ago: 5 CW's. Their unmatched combination of crowd control, damage, and defense makes them the ideal choice for each of the five slots. Pretty much everyone else will be a burden with the exception of DC's, and TRs who will still have superb single target damage and defense, (and healing for dc) but who lack the kind of large scale incredible crowd control that CWs have.

THAT is a very reasonable analysis of how things will be in mod 6.

BUT, play what you enjoy. SW is so much fun I could level several to 60 doing both pve and pvp and still enjoy it, if I had the time and if other things were not competing for my free time.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i read the testing on dummies and upscaling a warlock not lev 70..
    i don´t do testings i can more or less approximatly estimate as i wrote, it will be at least 30% damage less in my case (CD+TT+AC bonus gone) ca.
    i did not find any tests with 70 Warlock SB on single target, since thats the class to go, and since this is the class that outdamages the hellbringer on single by far due to SS, test it and tell me your results
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzorczzzzzzzzzzzzzorc Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nah.

I think I will stick with the deletion of both of my SWs.
    Then I HAVE TO argue with myself to justify starting another character.
    And that makes a great opportunity to wipe out the \steamapps\ folder of any STO or Neverwinter plaque.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lol, yes an option i thought about, since is waste of time, like most things in life
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I will state again... SW, in my personal testing, has shown to be effective.

5 CW will get destroyed. Saying that is an effective party is completely inaccurate and misleading. Period.

Any party with out a Healer and a Tank will fail.

This is all in reference to Mod 6, just to be clear!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    My main focus will be PvE
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I will state again... SW, in my personal testing, has shown to be effective.

5 CW will get destroyed. Saying that is an effective party is completely inaccurate and misleading. Period.

Any party with out a Healer and a Tank will fail.

This is all in reference to Mod 6, just to be clear!

We'll see. 4 cws and a dc maybe. Control will be huge, more huge than anything offered by any of the other classes aside from one healer. Mod 6 mobs eat tanks alive and you know that. Your positive attitude is a nice change for this place though lol, just wish all SWs could also have BIS gear so they could even risk a "half-full" point of view. A non BIS SW in mod six is an empty glass altogether. No pessimism there, just reality.

We'll see though, I hope I am wrong. I have the feeling you will be one of a small handful of SW's who stick around mod 6 though, with bis gear and friends dear enough to take equal dps and zero cc as compared to the cw that could be in that slot.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i can´t imagine a CW tanking a boss (cc immune) that onhitts him 10 times
    tank-DC- and 3 CW´s from what i read and hear, and sure they will tone down damage in dungeons, if not, you won´t go there anyway with or without tank, since the damage posted in the theads is not tankable, 95% of player would be unable to go any dungeons
    if things stay like now it will be the last nail in neverwinter´s coffin

Warlock is not hopeless case as we read, and even with damagefocus on boss and spamming TT you will be a good damagedealer , since atm you are on top, and better than the rest, as i recognized using ACT for 3 weeks now