test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Automatic map transition after object interaction

littleravelittlerave Member Posts: 17 Arc User
Hi everyone,

I've set an objective to interact with an object and after the interaction there should be a map transition. Even though I've set the transition to the same object, after interacting with it the object gets unclickable and there's no transition. When I remove the interaction objective I do get the transition upon clicking the object but then there's no interaction animation. I would really like to have one because I wanted to add effects and a message for the player to it.

Yes, I could add an invisible clicky for either the interaction or the transition but I would like to have it happen automatically and not let the player interact again.
Post edited by littlerave on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Look at your maps and transitions from one map to the next map.

To exit a map and go into the next map there must be a "transition" object or "exit" object. You select this on the Maps screen IIRC (at office right now) - click that button and select the object you want to be the final thing the player clicks on to move to the next map.

Be sure to clarify what it is called and what the object name is and all that of the "Press F to..." text will say what you want. It can be just about any darned thing you want that is placed into your map.

@Eldarth can probably describe it better than I can (I know he know precisely what I'm talking about). - hopefully he'll throw in.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    map transitions are 'instant' and thus have no animation associated with them.

as far as i know.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • littleravelittlerave Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @torontodave: I am aware of that. That is why I placed an object interaction objective before the map transition.

@angrysprite: I know about the text "Press F to ..." however, I wanted to describe what's going on as the player interacts, like the objective messages you can set. You know, something like: "As you inspect the object, you feel a force pulling at your body's every cell. You try to step back but are inevitably sucked into the object" ... *some special effects flashing* and then map transition.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is normal functionality for the Foundry. If you want an object to be your map transfer, you must not set it as interactable, because once it is interacted with, it's done.
    As far as I know, what you're wanting to do can't be done.
    If you find a way to make it work, please let us know.
    edited March 2015
    littlerave wrote: »
    @torontodave: I am aware of that. That is why I placed an object interaction objective before the map transition.

@angrysprite: I know about the text "Press F to ..." however, I wanted to describe what's going on as the player interacts, like the objective messages you can set. You know, something like: "As you inspect the object, you feel a force pulling at your body's every cell. You try to step back but are inevitably sucked into the object" ... *some special effects flashing* and then map transition.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I would use a dialog box.

Have the inspect item, bring up your text 'you start playing with the object'
    then have an effect appear when: dialog prompt reached: 'you turn the object over' (fx appears)
    then have another response 'you dust off some dirt to see the maker's mark' (2nd fx appears)
    then another dialog response 'the lights dim, your vision tunnels, ' (3rd fx appears)

if the animation is more important than the FX, skyfade to black after your interaction, put invisible walls all around the player, the one in front of him is your map transition.

after the animation is done, the screen will fade to black, then the invisible walls surround the hero + the one in front of him will be your transition?

There is an example of the latter method in the quest in my signature. (To infinity, and BEYOND!)

The example of the former, is in my 2nd quest, not yet published. (BUT IT'S <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! all kinds of FX popping off during a conversation. ;D)

there is a 3rd method that wouldnt use a dialog box, but a [system notify] message and 'negative effect tokens' as described by @gruffydd in my '[system notify]' thread in the mechanics subforum ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited March 2015
    Doh, just re-read original post. Yeah. that's how I had it in my quest originally.

First one is interact + animation + disappear

Second one is appear + map transition

Problem was it would require hitting 'F' twice. I changed this and used the skyfade to black method as described above. Play the quest and see if you like the effect it provides. ;D
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited March 2015

Okay then that's easy... here is how to do it - but it will still require player to press the F key:

Player interacts with object; object dialog appears (providing DM description) - when dialog completes, player is prompted to press F to [whatever] (change maps).

How to do it:

Create an invisible cylinder (5-ft diameter) around the final object that the player interacts with.
    Set that cylinder to be the "Map transfer object" (interact with that cylinder to go to next map)
    Set that Cylinder to invisible; appears when dialog reached. (Set it to appear on the last FAKE dialog of the object. If you set the original interactive object to disappear on the dame dialog, the dialog box will disappear automagically (on the fake dialog)).

FAKE dialog is the very last dialog that is blank (I usually just put a period (.) some have suggested eclipses (...) and someone even suggested alt+255 for a true blank.

When the player reaches that dialog the invisible cylinder appears (trapping the player - which is what you want) - the prompt to press the F key appears automatically and the bonus is that you control the player (they can't just run around the map and possibly goof things up). I also use this method in my Black Keep quest, except instead of changing maps it teleports you back to the beginning of the same map. :)

Edit to add: I see posts #6 and 7 have also described this - though not in the same way. I believe the way I describe it is likely more efficient and does not reply on the player to work, other than pressing the F key to activate - no way for the player to goof things up.
    edited March 2015
    I see, that might be a satisfying solution. I wonder though, if the quest objective is set to a dialog and the conversation partner (be it a person or an object) just disappears during the dialog actually cancelling the conversation, will the quest objective still be achieved successfully? Since the dialog is not finished properly I expect the objective not to be hit and thus keep the quest stuck.
    edited March 2015
    I see, that might be a satisfying solution. I wonder though, if the quest objective is set to a dialog and the conversation partner (be it a person or an object) just disappears during the dialog actually cancelling the conversation, will the quest objective still be achieved successfully? Since the dialog is not finished properly I expect the objective not to be hit and thus keep the quest stuck.

Precisely (and why I mentioned in my original comment to make sure it is NOT in the storyboard. :) There is no need to put it into the storyboard. Just change the description of the objective for changing maps into whatever description you would have used for the NPC/Object.

First mistake most Foundry Authors make is to put everything into their storyboards; this is what creates screwed-up sparkly-paths and gives away your quest objectives - too much hand-holding makes quests too simple sometimes.

I usually turn quest path OFF and I only very sparingly ever put anything into the storyboard. This makes almost all of what I offer in my quests optional - or if not optional then it is something the player must figure out for themselves. I get a lot of awesome comments when I do this.

My recommendation: try to NOT use the storyboard for stuff. Your quest will always turnout better. Only use it when the objective might become too confusing or difficult to find.
    edited March 2015
    I tried to get this to work but as soon as I set the invisible cylinder to be the map transfer object, the visibility options for that particular object disappear and so I can't set the cylinder to appear during the dialog.

Well, I did place some quest objectives but no quest paths and actually the objectives do not give you much information on what to actually do. I have some out-of-storyboard hints placed but I leave the player somewhat helpless.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If any object is selected as the map transition then it will always be visible although not interactable until the player is on that objective.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ...and, anything set as a quest story objective completely ignores Appear When/Disappear When and is instantly appeared when objective becomes active.
    edited March 2015
    I just saw these responses... I'll have to go into Foundry tonight to see how I did it (it's been a while). I must be missing a step or two in my description that overcomes these limitations... (Grrrr I hate that). Will update this comment when I review what I did)
    edited March 2015
    I tried to get this to work but as soon as I set the invisible cylinder to be the map transfer object, the visibility options for that particular object disappear and so I can't set the cylinder to appear during the dialog.

Well, I did place some quest objectives but no quest paths and actually the objectives do not give you much information on what to actually do. I have some out-of-storyboard hints placed but I leave the player somewhat helpless.