test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mortals and Monsters - An Investigation Most Dark (NW-DIU7R7LV2)

elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
Mortals and Monsters - An Investigation Most Dark by @Cymerian
Short Code: NW-DIU7R7LV2
Mission Type: Campaign Starter
Average Duration: 7mins
Amount of Combat: Light
Starts at: Driftwood Tavern

Mission Summary:
You decide to stop by the famous Driftwood Tavern only to find there is a letter waiting for you. Solve it's riddle to begin this adventure.

Author tips/hints:
This quest is for experienced adventurers. Is is not fight intensive. Is it a simple and short introduction to the campaign. Exploration/investigation is a main objective. Not all quest objectives have waypoints designated. Send errors noticed or comments to @Cymerian. Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I played with my level 60 DC. I thought the story was a good mystery and the maps were very atmospheric. I was a little disappointed there were not any options for those with the religion skill since it seemed like you had several different options available.

I think you need a couple of more edit passes to clean it up nicely but I would be really interested in seeing the next chapter.

Detailed notes:

Two small typos in the hovel in the “kitchen” (room with the stove): Obviously is “obvisouly”. Same contact: “truely” should be truly.

The alcove hallway you have in the hovel is the one with permanent purple light floating the air. I’m not sure if that will confuse players who try and overthink it as a clue.

The unlit brazier needs a new name, it is still “Brazier Ground 01”

When investigating the body there is an unclear line: “Since the secret door was shut from the inside, whatever killed him came and went through there.” The nearest antecedent to “there” is “secret door”. I spent a lot time thinking that the logic of the story was wrong, since I thought you were referring to the secret door. I realized you mean the hole in the ground, but that is a sentence away from “there”. So you may want to change “there” to “the hole.”

Real nice use of subtle details in the secret room.

Under the hovel there is the large room with the trinket chains. They have a small typo: “Brought” is missing its T

In the same room with the contact with the bookshelf “it’s” should be “its”

The zombie in the corner still has its default name.

I wasn’t sure why the throne and the pedestal were floating? I was able to interact with the throne but not the pedestal. I looked to see if this was a jumping puzzle but I wasn’t able to find a way to get up there.

When I arrive in the sewer the text tells me that these are the sewers under Blacklake. The next sentence tells me that this means the undead in the previous room could not have been the murders. I’m not sure how the one explains the other?

The NPC in the sewers is still named Peasant Human 18. That peasant has a line about “…I say them” when I think you mean “I saw them”?

I wasn’t able to get the emblem the peasant gave me since he, the interactable bag, and the door were so close together. I got him when I tried to pick it up twice and on my third try I got the door out and so couldn’t try again.

I was a little frustrated with the “Return to the Graycloaks” objective since it required me to go to a door that I did not zone through when I came back to PE. Maybe remove that step?

In Fronikann’s final dialogue he has “decerned” which should be “discern”
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I played with my level 60 DC. I thought the story was a good mystery and the maps were very atmospheric. I was a little disappointed there were not any options for those with the religion skill since it seemed like you had several different options available.
    Added one religious option. No dungeoneering options for this quest in the campaign. Thanks for reminding me about that though.
    Two small typos in the hovel in the “kitchen” (room with the stove): Obviously is “obvisouly”. Same contact: “truely” should be truly.
    Fixed.
    The alcove hallway you have in the hovel is the one with permanent purple light floating the air. I’m not sure if that will confuse players who try and overthink it as a clue.
    Tried as I might that darn light is not deleteable...until I can come with a different option, I'm leaving it in.
    The unlit brazier needs a new name, it is still “Brazier Ground 01”
    Fixed
    When investigating the body there is an unclear line: “Since the secret door was shut from the inside, whatever killed him came and went through there.” The nearest antecedent to “there” is “secret door”. I spent a lot time thinking that the logic of the story was wrong, since I thought you were referring to the secret door. I realized you mean the hole in the ground, but that is a sentence away from “there”. So you may want to change “there” to “the hole.”
    Fixed, changed it to be specific and not so vague.
    Under the hovel there is the large room with the trinket chains. They have a small typo: “Brought” is missing its T
    Fixed, really wish there was a spellchecker in the dialog editor section.
    In the same room with the contact with the bookshelf “it’s” should be “its”
    Fixed
    The zombie in the corner still has its default name.
    Fixed
    I wasn’t sure why the throne and the pedestal were floating? I was able to interact with the throne but not the pedestal. I looked to see if this was a jumping puzzle but I wasn’t able to find a way to get up there.
    IDK, why either. On the editing map there's a stair asset that lets you just walk up to it. I checked the Y axis and it's right there were it should be.
    When I arrive in the sewer the text tells me that these are the sewers under Blacklake. The next sentence tells me that this means the undead in the previous room could not have been the murders. I’m not sure how the one explains the other?
    Fixed, removed that whole sentence.
    The NPC in the sewers is still named Peasant Human 18. That peasant has a line about “…I say them” when I think you mean “I saw them”?
    Fixed, both
    I wasn’t able to get the emblem the peasant gave me since he, the interactable bag, and the door were so close together. I got him when I tried to pick it up twice and on my third try I got the door out and so couldn’t try again.
    Fixed, I moved the bag further away.
    I was a little frustrated with the “Return to the Graycloaks” objective since it required me to go to a door that I did not zone through when I came back to PE. Maybe remove that step?
    Fixed, removed objective
    In Fronikann’s final dialogue he has “decerned” which should be “discern”
    Fixed

Also did some minor changes/fixes to things I caught this time. Thanks for the detailed feedback. Only way I can make things better.
    Republished on 2/25/2015.
    edited February 2015
    That particular hallway room has been bugged with the purple light for ages. The only way to get rid of it would be to switch out the room.

Weird things happen on live, so even though you see the stairs on the editing map they are not there in the published quest.
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If other people report the same problem, I'll find an alternative. Hopefully it went live after the last republish.
    edited February 2015
    Do you see it when you play the quest on the live server?