test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Class Change token

2»

Comments

  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tarmelfin wrote: »
    why not ? if race changeable why class can not.

    All your gear and everything cannot change with you - you'd be naked. You know: the same way you were when you started the tutorial, except that you'll already be level 60. Even your at-will and encounter powers and stuff would have to change. The current game engine does not have the technology to do this. They could spend a lot of time and effort programing this into the game, but then nothing else would change in the game for six months. Is that really what you want?
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only way I could conceivably support this is if it was like DDO's system of reincarnation. You get to change class but you go back to level one and have a vastly increased amount of xp to get back to cap.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    They are artifacts, not cutlery.

    Honestly they're not. They decided to give a good chunk of them away and keep the system they can monetise a ridiculous amount from instead of making them something with a more status symbol. If I can move normal, weapon and armour enchants, why not artifacts? Why people enjoy being restricted in the things they earn I have no idea.
  • Options
    vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I feel both sides of the argument have some valid points. For me personally, I would like a class change token because I feel play on my main has gotten a bit stale and I'd like to try another class. As for why I don't want to just roll another one? Two big reasons for me are: campaign progress, boons and general advancement, and companions, a few of which I've spent a fair amount of ad upgrading in tier. I also have some costume pieces I've spent time on acquiring that are now bound that I'd hate to lose. Basically anything in my inventory or character sheet that got earned or acquired that wasn't tied to my class. I'm the type of player who is playing less and less because I find my main character less interesting, but I don't have the will/time/cash to just get where I am with another. If a class change token were implemented, however, I would spend money on that to play a new class keeping my campaign progress, inventory, companions and their rating etc. I do, however, think that some negatives are fine to a process such as class change.

    I would propose the following happen if a class change token were added.

    -Return to level 4 (skip the tutorial)
    -Reset of power/ability points including those earned from post cap xp leveling.
    -Reset of all profession progress and assets
    -A couple of new quests that would be worked in and forced upon the player that would replace those which previously awarded bags for inventory space. Or, if it's easy enough, just remove those bag rewards for changed characters.
    -A -25% xp penalty until lvl 65 (assuming this is coming post mod 6) that could be removed with a bought store item for say 1k zen.
    -Obviously the player's old gear would be useless and have to be vendored/refined. Allow us to keep everything though, so we'd salvage the unusable gear, keep enchants etc.
    -Refinement cap reduced to 10k for 7 days (Account wide-to prevent exploitation) following changeover to prevent massive and short ad gain from salvaged gear. I do think we should keep all of our inventory except for what I list. This penalty could also be removed with a zen item.
    -Zeroing of ad on changed character
    -Zeroing of campaign CURRENCY on changed character-so all researched stuff would be saved, but if campaign is incomplete, new currency would be needed to keep going.
    -Lockout of ad/zen exchange on changed character for 21 days (again for ad saving and exploitation avoidance-maybe just prevent that character from retrieving/canceling postings listed on account?-possible removal with store zen) Hey, I know consumers hate monetization, but it's the only thing that would drive them to work on this.

    I think these penalties are severe but fair enough that not all sense of accomplishment is lost, and that would be the key for such an item. You could also price a change high, but not too high. I think 3-4k zen would be high, but fair. Also keep in mind that although we would still keep all our current companions and their stuff/stats etc. a new class might incentivize a player pursuing new companions as well, so it wouldn't be a full-stop prevention of income from that avenue of the game.

    I personally, would buy this because I love the game, don't want the grind again, and am getting really bored with my main class.
    Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    I'm also against the idea of class change tokens. You have to care about your character and you have to care about the decisions you make when creating and levelling that character. Otherwise it's just another identikit toon that can be changed on a whim.
    (I'd remove race changes tokens too if I could!)

    The OP is clearly a big Paladin fan so surely he'd want the enjoyment of starting one from scratch and shaping him as he levels.

    I'm happy with powerful things like artifacts being bound to character. They are artifacts, not cutlery.
    You could maybe persuade me that being able to share companions across an account is a good idea though ;p

    despite being anti class change, I am in favor of the race change, for 2 reasons. Wish spells could do it in the forgottenrealms/d&D universe. also, you might have created a character that was supposed to be another race or subrace, but that option wasn't available. Personal example way back in the days of 3rd edition, I had a sun elf wizard. then this game comes out sun elf isn't an option only 'elf'. later sun elf is added, and I gladly change her to what she was supposed to be in the first place. cryptic makes some bling too, so everyone wins.
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Am all against such things, retrain/reroll/race change etc tokens (even appearance with the exception for hairs and makeup). These should be given for free only once, when the char reaches 60 lvl and when the game changes to the extent it would be gamebreaking not doing so. But since there are already such tokens here, it does not matter, thus there can be even jell-o and instagib tokens for what i care.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think these penalties are severe but fair enough that not all sense of accomplishment is lost,

    I'm not sure what the incentive to do so over making another character is unless you think the class change should be free. Zeroing earned AD for example seems like a complete waste that can easily be bypassed anyway
    thesensai wrote: »
    despite being anti class change, I am in favor of the race change, for 2 reasons. Wish spells could do it in the forgottenrealms/d&D universe. also, you might have created a character that was supposed to be another race or subrace, but that option wasn't available. Personal example way back in the days of 3rd edition, I had a sun elf wizard. then this game comes out sun elf isn't an option only 'elf'. later sun elf is added, and I gladly change her to what she was supposed to be in the first place. cryptic makes some bling too, so everyone wins.

    The way I see it even though I'm not entirely opposed to a class change token if they released one is that classes are a big enough change that you have to learn how it works from scratch and all of the skills and feats may be overwhelming for a lot of people, while a race change is significant enough to have a different balance, but insignificant enough that you don't have much else to learn. People still opposed race changes, but imo they were just sticks in the mud. If they didn't want it they could just not use it, it wouldn't affect them in the slightest unless it was a made up issue. Class tokens on the other hand would have a bigger impact.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think it should be purchasable for $100....no zen.
  • Options
    vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @frishter No, I state the zen price I think would be fair for a class change. I also tell you why it would still be an incentive for myself. I cannot speak for others.
    Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @frishter No, I state the zen price I think would be fair for a class change. I also tell you why it would still be an incentive for myself. I cannot speak for others.

    Ah, must have missed that. I think what you're asking for would make it kind of niche though. After all you could buy 2 character slots for 500 zen without the limitations. I don't really like letting go though. If I've made a character, I want to be able to play it whenever I want without going through the whole process again. It's why I clog bankspace with so much junk such as those campaign cloaks from tod... I know I don't want them, but I don't want to lose the ability to get them...
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    We didn't get one with the Warlock or Ranger. Why should the Paladin be more special?

    Besides, getting people to play, and gear up, new classes is how the game is funded. There is zero incentive for Cryptic to implement something to change that.

    GF players want a class change token to change to paladin because they spent their gaming time and money building their gf to fill a specific role and that role has been overtaken by the OP, making gf obsolete. An aggro generating tank. I know there is argument about op not making gf obsolete byt in reality, in a dps heavy game there is only barely one spot for an aggro tank. And no one is going to take a gf along when a paladin is available.

    So those who built up their gfs want a class change token to switch to the class that made their gf obsolete. They won't get it. Like tr won't be balanced, like there will be no real matchmaking in pvp, like how you will have to pay more money to maintain the same level of power when you regress...errr "advance" from level 60 to 61, like how lifesteal will be nerfed in mod6 to the utter destruction of scourge warlock, like how we are getting more power creep, like how the refinement system is getting so much worse instead of so much better and like how neverwinter is losing players by the droves because they consistently totally ignore what their players say about their game.....
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I feel both sides of the argument have some valid points. For me personally, I would like a class change token because I feel play on my main has gotten a bit stale and I'd like to try another class. As for why I don't want to just roll another one? Two big reasons for me are: campaign progress, boons and general advancement, and companions, a few of which I've spent a fair amount of ad upgrading in tier. I also have some costume pieces I've spent time on acquiring that are now bound that I'd hate to lose. Basically anything in my inventory or character sheet that got earned or acquired that wasn't tied to my class. I'm the type of player who is playing less and less because I find my main character less interesting, but I don't have the will/time/cash to just get where I am with another. If a class change token were implemented, however, I would spend money on that to play a new class keeping my campaign progress, inventory, companions and their rating etc. I do, however, think that some negatives are fine to a process such as class change.

    I would propose the following happen if a class change token were added.

    -Return to level 4 (skip the tutorial)
    -Reset of power/ability points including those earned from post cap xp leveling.
    -Reset of all profession progress and assets
    -A couple of new quests that would be worked in and forced upon the player that would replace those which previously awarded bags for inventory space. Or, if it's easy enough, just remove those bag rewards for changed characters.
    -A -25% xp penalty until lvl 65 (assuming this is coming post mod 6) that could be removed with a bought store item for say 1k zen.
    -Obviously the player's old gear would be useless and have to be vendored/refined. Allow us to keep everything though, so we'd salvage the unusable gear, keep enchants etc.
    -Refinement cap reduced to 10k for 7 days (Account wide-to prevent exploitation) following changeover to prevent massive and short ad gain from salvaged gear. I do think we should keep all of our inventory except for what I list. This penalty could also be removed with a zen item.
    -Zeroing of ad on changed character
    -Zeroing of campaign CURRENCY on changed character-so all researched stuff would be saved, but if campaign is incomplete, new currency would be needed to keep going.
    -Lockout of ad/zen exchange on changed character for 21 days (again for ad saving and exploitation avoidance-maybe just prevent that character from retrieving/canceling postings listed on account?-possible removal with store zen) Hey, I know consumers hate monetization, but it's the only thing that would drive them to work on this.

    I think these penalties are severe but fair enough that not all sense of accomplishment is lost, and that would be the key for such an item. You could also price a change high, but not too high. I think 3-4k zen would be high, but fair. Also keep in mind that although we would still keep all our current companions and their stuff/stats etc. a new class might incentivize a player pursuing new companions as well, so it wouldn't be a full-stop prevention of income from that avenue of the game.

    I personally, would buy this because I love the game, don't want the grind again, and am getting really bored with my main class.

    I think all of this would be too much hastle for cryptic, and cause too much rage for people that wanted to switch(zeroing profs?). why code all this, when they wont even code simpler things like a dressing room, or weapon dyes(whose tech is even already in game)?

    Also, ad are easily swapped between toons on your account, so 'zeroing' ad is sort of pointless.
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That is why i liked Lineage 2.
    After you had a high level character you could level up another class with the same character and switch between classes if you did a small quest.
    Would be cool if Neverwinter would get a similar feature. In the D&D Universe it isn't strange to have more than one class.
    It could be a buyable feature for like 1.000 Zen and to switch between the class will cost you AD (a bit more like you would retrain your character)
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
Sign In or Register to comment.