test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Farming

asasirasasir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Is use of foundry without portals but with mob that can be farmed allowed or is farming in the foundry not allowed?
Post edited by asasir on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In the past they said as long as the mobs can fight back, it's all good. Recently they said that farming was a violation of the ToS. So they have stated two conflicting statements, though I'd still go with the first as the second just doesn't make logical sense to me.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Kinda reminds on their stance on multi-accounting. From no restriction over "not too many" to two... :cool:
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not to defend cryptic to much, but the moment they give a straight answer, they are going to be held accountable to it. Vague answers can be interpreted differently, but specific answers usually cant.

Not to mention the moment they give a straight answer, people will know exactly how far they can push it...then they have to decide things like "Ok, the speed limit is 55. Will we punish for 56? probably not. But 58 is a no no. What about 57? " When you start laying down specifics, its pretty easy to start looking petty like that ("Well, I was only 1 alt account over the limit, come on!")
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not to defend cryptic to much, but the moment they give a straight answer, they are going to be held accountable to it. Vague answers can be interpreted differently, but specific answers usually cant.

Not to mention the moment they give a straight answer, people will know exactly how far they can push it...then they have to decide things like "Ok, the speed limit is 55. Will we punish for 56? probably not. But 58 is a no no. What about 57? " When you start laying down specifics, its pretty easy to start looking petty like that ("Well, I was only 1 alt account over the limit, come on!")

My problem is the contradictory answers that were posted. That's a real issue as far as I'm concerned.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's no real way to define it other than "I know it when I see it", which is a terrible way to define anything.
    However, for me at least as a Foundry author, the ones that really irk me are blatantly obvious as cheats.

If the quest was specifically designed to gather loot at a faster rate than can happen in the main game, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to power-level faster than can happen in the main game, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to gain achievements faster than can normally happen, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to facilitate botting, it's a cheat.

If you can't tell if the quest was specifically designed to do one of those things, I'd tend to err on the side of caution, and consider it a legitimate quest. But for some of them, it's just blatantly obvious, and those quests - and the authors who created them - need to go.
  • idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In other MMO's, people would just go to the highest level areas for highest gold and loot value and farm that way. Would it considered different or even exploiting that way? I don't fully understand the logic with this with using Foundry farming as an aid. it appears no different than the alternative.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's no real way to define it other than "I know it when I see it", which is a terrible way to define anything.
    However, for me at least as a Foundry author, the ones that really irk me are blatantly obvious as cheats.

If the quest was specifically designed to gather loot at a faster rate than can happen in the main game, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to power-level faster than can happen in the main game, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to gain achievements faster than can normally happen, it's a cheat.
    If the quest was specifically designed to facilitate botting, it's a cheat.

If you can't tell if the quest was specifically designed to do one of those things, I'd tend to err on the side of caution, and consider it a legitimate quest. But for some of them, it's just blatantly obvious, and those quests - and the authors who created them - need to go.

Then foundry in itself is a cheat. Let's remove it.
    edited January 2015
    In other MMO's, people would just go to the highest level areas for highest gold and loot value and farm that way. Would it considered different or even exploiting that way? I don't fully understand the logic with this with using Foundry farming as an aid. it appears no different than the alternative.

The main differences as far as I can tell are:
    If they do it in the Foundry, they don't have to worry about competition from other players in the area. This itself is not an issue. If you want to grind a Foundry quest rather than the main game, go ahead.
    Certain people look for ways to set up a Foundry quest to provide a significantly faster farm/grind than the main game. This is where the issue comes up.

It's not that they can't farm just as easily in the main game. It's that they are abusing the Foundry to create "content" that allows them to do it faster than they could in the main game.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not to defend cryptic to much, but the moment they give a straight answer, they are going to be held accountable to it.
    Nope they are not going to be held accountable. The ToS says some things are "not open for discussion", but they are. So you can have a straight answer in writing and file a report, it does not matter.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    edited January 2015
    Whether intentional by the author or not, at least one official contest winner contained exploiting as an integral part of it's story, with monsters that would not fight back.
    edited January 2015
    Whether intentional by the author or not, at least one official contest winner contained exploiting as an integral part of it's story, with monsters that would not fight back.

I'm not familiar with that one, so my questions would be 1) Could the same story have been told without that, and 2) is it farmable?

If the non-fighting encounter is integral to the story, and the death of that encounter does not lead to a significant gain, then it wouldn't meet any of the criteria I listed in my original post.
    A single encounter that can't fight back that is essential to the story is not an exploit. A quest designed so that all of the encounters don't fight back, thus guaranteeing easy xp/loot and facilitating botting is. At least in my opinion.
    edited February 2015
    I'm not familiar with that one, so my questions would be 1) Could the same story have been told without that, and 2) is it farmable?

If the non-fighting encounter is integral to the story, and the death of that encounter does not lead to a significant gain, then it wouldn't meet any of the criteria I listed in my original post.
    A single encounter that can't fight back that is essential to the story is not an exploit. A quest designed so that all of the encounters don't fight back, thus guaranteeing easy xp/loot and facilitating botting is. At least in my opinion.
    The story had you defending the common folk from a monster attack.

At the time, the way monster ai worked was that if it was attacking an npc, the monster would not react to a player attacking. The cowering common folk npcs at the time essentially maintained infinite agro on the monsters (if a monster was in range of an npc when the map loaded, the monster would attack the npc even if a player came into agro range and attacked the monster), and the npcs were immortal as well, they could not be killed by the monsters. There were several maps of monsters surrounding commoners, so the player could kill the monsters at their leisure since the monsters would not fight back because they were locked to the immortal npcs. It was a situation where the monsters could not fight back against the player.

According to Cryptic devs, if a monster can not fight back against the player, the situation is an exploit. Thus, a decent portion of the quest consisted of what Cryptic had stated was an exploit, even if the exploiting was wrapped in a story. Eventually Cryptic fixed that bit of monster ai, so you can no longer exploit in that manner.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the big question is: how are you building a proper legit farm foundry? i mean is it a sinple monster spam? thw foundry has a cooldow of 2 minutes for dragon hoards why assume player it is a good idea to farm in the foundry?
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!