test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC account on XBOX ?

sarge0341sarge0341 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Well looks like Neverwinter on XBox One will be losing alot of players, including myself. I for one will not be playing on XBox ESPECIALLY with the amazing gear and maxed out characters if I cant transfer them to the XBox platform from PC.

Gotta say, very disappointing.....

Oh well, back to my PC
Post edited by sarge0341 on

Comments

• kattfiskenkattfisken Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Quite unneccisary to make a thread to whine about it but i get your point. Though the neverwinter xbox one edition is supposed to be a fresh start :) And who knows it might be possible to transfer in the future. It just won't be there at launch :)
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Blame Microsoft. They do not allow any game to be cross server like that on Xbone. Even if Cryptic wanted to, it could not be done.
  • zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Blame Microsoft. They do not allow any game to be cross server like that on Xbone. Even if Cryptic wanted to, it could not be done.

I'm getting tired of people saying that, it's just not true. Fable Legends will be cross play between PC and XB1, and look up the game Shadowrun. Microsoft can and has allowed cross-play between PC and Xbox systems previously, they just only seem to not allow it between two consoles.
    edited February 2015
    zazaaji wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of people saying that, it's just not true. Fable Legends will be cross play between PC and XB1, and look up the game Shadowrun. Microsoft can and has allowed cross-play between PC and Xbox systems previously, they just only seem to not allow it between two consoles.

That's only if the game is Windows10 only. Considering that Neverwinter can be ran on XP, my statement stands.
    edited February 2015
    That's only if the game is Windows10 only. Considering that Neverwinter can be ran on XP, my statement stands.

As I said, look up Shadowrun. PC (Any windows version that could run it. Vista, 7, 8, and XP I'm pretty sure) and 360 cross-play. The only reason hardly anyone remembers that game is because it was terrible. It still proves that Microsoft can and has allowed Xbox and PC cross-play in the past, without requiring Windows 10.

EDIT: Need an MMO cross-play proof? Final Fantasy XI.
    edited February 2015
    zazaaji wrote: »
    As I said, look up Shadowrun. PC (Any windows version that could run it. Vista, 7, 8, and XP I'm pretty sure) and 360 cross-play. The only reason hardly anyone remembers that game is because it was terrible. It still proves that Microsoft can and has allowed Xbox and PC cross-play in the past, without requiring Windows 10.

That's the 360 not the Xbone. Things changed dramatically with this next gen. XB360 is not XBone. These changes are why I will not buy a XBone or a PS4. Too many restrictions on this next gen.
    edited February 2015
    That's the 360 not the Xbone. Things changed dramatically with this next gen. XB360 is not XBone. These changes are why I will not buy a XBone or a PS4. Too many restrictions on this next gen.

Hmm.... good point. Looks like Cryptic and/or PWE will need to make a Neverwinter Windows 10-only version that's cross playable with XB1 then. :p
    edited February 2015
    Microsoft is allowing everyone with a win 7 and up go upgrade free to windows 10 for the first year. Cross platform will be allowed if the developers of the game want to :p i bet there will come out loads of games will cross platform play. Its just that neverwinter doesn't want cross platform it seems :p
    edited February 2015
    kattfisken wrote: »
    Microsoft is allowing everyone with a win 7 and up go upgrade free to windows 10 for the first year. Cross platform will be allowed if the developers of the game want to :p i bet there will come out loads of games will cross platform play. Its just that neverwinter doesn't want cross platform it seems :p

While I don't know much about windows 10 specifics with drivers, mem usage, etc. If it is like previous releases, there will be some drivers which are not updated, and it will need more system resources to run. This means that upgrading some older win7 systems would be a bad idea and could not be reasonably done. Making the game win10 only would lose them players.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    They did say that such is not out of the realm of possibility, transferring characters that is, just that it's not going to happen any time soon for sure. Besides, it would be folly to ruin a new platform game by allowing people to port in characters of max level and gear and gold and ad and zen and so on, and take immediate control of the market -- thereby alienating any new players. Besides, it would also cause issues with how the XBOX will always be behind in content, for getting content to the XBOX takes longer than the PC.

Transferring characters to another server, like this one that is new and fresh, would just be a disaster in the making. I could only envision them allowing such much later down the road once the XBOX economy has been well established and rivals that of the PC servers. And then only when at a time while both the XBOX and PC are on equal content.
    edited February 2015
    I haven't heard that Microsoft is saying that it will be only win10 that uses cross platform though :p
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I haven't heard that Microsoft is saying that it will be only win10 that uses cross platform though :p
    Even if going through the Win10 route, you still will be separated by server. Port XBOX to Win10 Desktop - Log into Neverwinter = you're still on the XBOX Server, not the PC Server.
    edited February 2015

That is a related but somewhat off topic conversation about why the pc and Xbox servers are separate.
  • odahviing117odahviing117 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well in my opinion the only thing that would be needed is any of the starter packs or dragonborn race unlocked if you bought them already.

but either way i will be buying dragonborn legend pack never the less as i need some awesome vanity for a dragonborn
  • chase20tnchase20tn Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why do you wanna break the game with over used chars from the start I for one dont want to play pc chars on my xbone i have a 60dc geared on pc and if i wanna play that ill get on pc. I want to be fresh with my xbone friends who are a whole other group from any of my pc friends. Plus its NW its not hard to max out a char get over yourself lol.
    Name:Trunks
    LVL:8X
    Guild:TacTics
    Server:East
    TOP 10 Mage
    ID# East server: 8000152G090007045006020S3eefb2
  • ek2383ek2383 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Its more about security than anything. All hackers need is one small opening and then all of our account info will be stolen too. I say keep them separate.
  • vordred74vordred74 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i have no issue starting fresh, and really that makes sense, have character ported over would make things worse, however i would like to be able to link gamertag to pc account and have all the things like character slot and unlocks that i have already paid for transfer over, as i wont buy everything a second time.
  • vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Cross over gaming is coming when Windows 10 is released. Xbox One and Windows 10 PC's can play together if the developers want you to.
    edited February 2015
    vampero wrote: »
    Cross over gaming is coming when Windows 10 is released. Xbox One and Windows 10 PC's can play together if the developers want you to.
    From what I understand of this capability in Win 10, that's not quite the same. You'd still need to connect to XBOX Live servers on a Win 10 Machine with XBOX ported onto it, so while technically it could be considered cross-play, PC and XBOX servers will still be separate.
  • eviloknight23eviloknight23 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    From what I understand of this capability in Win 10, that's not quite the same. You'd still need to connect to XBOX Live servers on a Win 10 Machine with XBOX ported onto it, so while technically it could be considered cross-play, PC and XBOX servers will still be separate.
    Its not really cross platform gaming its more like the game streaming that the PS4 allows. Fable maybe the exception, not really sure though as they haven't said in detail if you can play with the other machines. The other thing to remember is that fable is owned by MS so even if it is cross platform, the point is mute. Lastly MS is very reluctant to do cross platform with something that they do not own because it could open them up to attack as well as their customers.
    edited February 2015
    Its not really cross platform gaming its more like the game streaming that the PS4 allows. Fable maybe the exception, not really sure though as they haven't said in detail if you can play with the other machines. The other thing to remember is that fable is owned by MS so even if it is cross platform, the point is mute. Lastly MS is very reluctant to do cross platform with something that they do not own because it could open them up to attack as well as their customers.

It's funny how sony doesn't have that problem. I'd put it down to more monopoly action by microsoft. It's why no one should ever give microsoft a dime.
  • ezbeats1ezbeats1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I hear a lot of people complain about playstation lack of Psn security attributed to their outages more consistent than xboxes. They both suck, and can be fun. I detest, no I hate with the utmost level if disdain, xfiniti and comcast, but sometimes there's no other choice. I really liked battle.net from blizzard. Their networks seemed secure and not full of troubles, while being free.

/rant
  • chefsledgchefsledg Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    zebular wrote: »

I'd like to know where you are getting this info from. Windows 10 will unify the platforms to talk to each other and I'm sure they will all be using the Azure cloud. It would probably be up to the game developer/publisher to use their own servers but maybe they'll have a way to communicate. I'm sure MS will talk about this at their Build conference along with everything else DX12 related.
    edited February 2015

Wait, what! Cross platform gaming will have nothing to do with streaming! I would also like to know where you got this info from and what does this have to do with PS4? Why would MS open cross platform gaming across other devices that do not run Windows 10? Talk about a nightmare scenario for supporting. And are you really going to complain about MS when Apple, Google, and Sony do the same with all their devices. Sony could have used DX instead of OpenGL but they didn't so too bad for them.
    edited February 2015
    chefsledg wrote: »
    I'd like to know where you are getting this info from. Windows 10 will unify the platforms to talk to each other and I'm sure they will all be using the Azure cloud. It would probably be up to the game developer/publisher to use their own servers but maybe they'll have a way to communicate. I'm sure MS will talk about this at their Build conference along with everything else DX12 related.
    From the many articles I've read, it sounds like Win10 Games of this nature that are also on the XBOX will still need to connect to Microsoft's XBOX Live Server. So, that right there would signify that such games would not be true cross-play. Furthermore, it's already been stated that it takes far longer for updates and fixes to get pushes through Microsoft's strict Certification process, than it does to push updates and fixed to PC Servers. Which means the PC Game Servers for Neverwinter will never be the same version as the XBOX Game Severs for Neverwinter.
  • ek2383ek2383 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chefsledg wrote: »
    Wait, what! Cross platform gaming will have nothing to do with streaming! I would also like to know where you got this info from and what does this have to do with PS4? Why would MS open cross platform gaming across other devices that do not run Windows 10? Talk about a nightmare scenario for supporting. And are you really going to complain about MS when Apple, Google, and Sony do the same with all their devices. Sony could have used DX instead of OpenGL but they didn't so too bad for them.
    Have you read anything on Win 10? honestly?
    edited February 2015
    From the many articles I've read, it sounds like Win10 Games of this nature that are also on the XBOX will still need to connect to Microsoft's XBOX Live Server. So, that right there would signify that such games would not be true cross-play. Furthermore, it's already been stated that it takes far longer for updates and fixes to get pushes through Microsoft's strict Certification process, than it does to push updates and fixed to PC Servers. Which means the PC Game Servers for Neverwinter will never be the same version as the XBOX Game Severs for Neverwinter.

So you're basing this by your assumption. I guess we'll find out more when MS does their Build conference since MS has said that more info will be available there. Diablo 3 is a perfect example where PC and console updates go out the same time. I think you're basing your info off the old generation consoles.
    Have you read anything on Win 10? honestly?
    Really? Just a hunch but probably more than you. Please tell me what I missed since you seem to know more.
  • fortie1fortie1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    able to use old account (pc) on XBOX version ?
  • firefate1firefate1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i think i heard a dev say no.
    edited February 2015
    fortie1 wrote: »
    able to use old account (pc) on XBOX version ?
    Nay, accounting will use your Microsoft XBOX Live account for the XBOX Live Service. Please look for existing threads before making new ones, threads merged. Thanks!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
    [ RoC | ToS | Support ]
This discussion has been closed.