test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trying to decide on a class to main, could use some advice

2»

Comments

• benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would play a DC if I were you. The reason being that GWF is kind of screwed up right now unless you can afford to stack tons of power, and I believe that at least initially the Paladin class will make GF tanks obsolete. DCs can heal themselves and others so you won't have to waste pots, and can do massive DPS since the mod 5 class changes, so soloing will be easy and you will always have a role in group play with a DC.
  • codexiacodexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2015
    Alright, I'm convinced, I'll try the rogue again. The question now, where can I find a current perma-stealth build?
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    codexia wrote: »
    Alright, I'm convinced, I'll try the rogue again. The question now, where can I find a current perma-stealth build?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?825191-My-budget-TR-PVE-build
  • phogdogphogdog Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm a pretty new player and only play PVE. There is a thread elsewhere on which is the best/easiest class to solo to 60. The thread starter mentioned that he had played a few different classes but couldn't decide. I mentioned that I had started several characters and found the CW, DC and SW pretty fun and easy and would likely take one of them to 60.

Enter the TR. I began playing my TR again and suddenly realized what spectacular fun they are. And, lo and behold, my TR was my first character to 60. I play as a MI Executioner. Once I figured out the stealth mechanic, and timing, I fell in love. And I learned the joys and absolute importance of recovery.

I feel like I can go anywhere, anytime I want to go there. And I've felt that way with the TR for a good long time. Stealth is wonderful. If I come out of it at the wrong time, I can obfuscate and quickly stun with smoke bomb, pop shadow strike to fill up the stealth meter, and then pop back into stealth. I can sneak past anything and move quickly from one place to another.

At first I struggled a bit, but once I learned the mechanics, found my rotation, and got the timing down, TR has been an absolute joy to play. Give it a fair shot and take it up a ways before you pass judgment. I feel you won't be disappointed. I plan to build another one and probably go scoundrel this time around. TR is just a whole lot of fun.
  • codexiacodexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the build!

Also thanks for the story phog, definitely going to give the TR another change.

Most important thing to start, at least in my opinion...which race and starting stat allocation? If nothing else I can always reset things like skills and feats later but I don't get to re-pick my race (and have no idea if you can reset your starting stat choices either). I see some ideas in that build but any leanings towards a pure solo pve char? Especially since you appear to want to focus on 5 stats and you don't get that many stats on level up.

It sounds like I want to try and get ~20 int though to make things as easy as possible...
    edited February 2015
    codexia wrote: »
    Thanks for the build!

Also thanks for the story phog, definitely going to give the TR another change.

Most important thing to start, at least in my opinion...which race and starting stat allocation? If nothing else I can always reset things like skills and feats later but I don't get to re-pick my race (and have no idea if you can reset your starting stat choices either). I see some ideas in that build but any leanings towards a pure solo pve char? Especially since you appear to want to focus on 5 stats and you don't get that many stats on level up.

It sounds like I want to try and get ~20 int though to make things as easy as possible...

I would recommend aiming for at the end 15 int, 14 con, 20+ strength, the rest divided between the other stats. Dex and cha arent as important for a perma build as they are for a non perma build, so for the most part, you can ignore them. For race I would recommend human, followed by tiefling.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would strongly recommend buying a little Zen to buy the 2 character slots. Sounds like you want to mess with a lot of different builds and that would be a good way to do it without deleting characters and starting over.

The characters are most fun to play once you reach level 60, so you've yet to experience the "full effect" so to speak.

The bottom line is to have fun - take ALL advice you see here with a grain of salt. Just because someone else enjoys the TR (as do I) it just may not be a class you enjoy playing. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would recommend aiming for at the end 15 int, 14 con, 20+ strength, the rest divided between the other stats. Dex and cha arent as important for a perma build as they are for a non perma build, so for the most part, you can ignore them. For race I would recommend human, followed by tiefling.

I would put DEX over CON, to a point. I think 12 CON (final) is plenty for any TR build - my opinion.

By the way, that means start with 10 CON at roll - you will get +1 to all skills at level 30 and again at level 60. Split other points across STR, INT, and DEX (levels 10, 20, 40 and 50).
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited February 2015
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I would put DEX over CON, to a point. I think 12 CON (final) is plenty for any TR build - my opinion.

By the way, that means start with 10 CON at roll - you will get +1 to all skills at level 30 and again at level 60. Split other points across STR, INT, and DEX (levels 10, 20, 40 and 50).

When you playing perma TR, the majority of bonuses provided by dex and cha fall away, as you don't need to deflect attacks when you never get hit and you don't need bonus % chance crit when you got 100% crit chance. That means that after you got your int to a reasonable level, most of your other points belong on either con or strength. Con is something I would strongly recommend getting up to a decent level, as the HP buffer makes a huge difference when soloing content like CN.
  • hiperion16hiperion16 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Ability_Score_Rolling
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/my/character/copy/nw <~how to copy character
    this will help you figure out how you want to roll your stats.I cant really give a good recommendation of a class(i play a CW and DC) because i get the desired tankiness from end game gear(epics/artifact gear and artifacts).with the new changes to life steal and regen solo play is gonna be a bit more difficult for everyone.I would create a paladin on the test server and give it a whirl,also by copying your character onto the test server you can mess around with the feats/powers/boons for free then once you find what works for you,repec on the live server to what you made on the test server.
  • vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The GWF will not get the powers that suit your playstyle until later. Until you have the skills like "Come and get it", "Daring Shout" or at least the cone power "Roar" it simply doesn't play well. The powers you mentioned are generally not used ... and it is very understandable that you were dissatisfied with them.

If you play a GWF to higher levels, make sure to get the Feat called "Intimidation" if you go down the Sentinel path. If you go down the Destroyer path make sure you go all the way down and get the final power "Destroyer. " then take the tanky feats and feats that speed up the AoE skills you want to use.
  • tbhdk2tbhdk2 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2015
    CW - bestclass overall - above average in everything this game has to offer pvp and pve-wise.

Squishy - but control skills, tele dodge, and in the long run lifesteal, makes up for that.

As CW you can not only solo anything - any major heroic encounter, at high gs you can faceroll anything. As Thaum and focused destroyer, you can even do massive dmg to single targets. Actually my cw can join a dragon fight, where the dragon only has 40 % life left and still earn great succcess. I

And when it comes to dispatching multiple trash mobs in dungeons like CN, Malabog etc. no one come near a cw in raw killing power. Only SW can compete (atleast in elol) But SW is not as versatile.

I personally enjoy playing GWF and HR - though the classes survives well - it takes really good gear and lots of skill and experience to make the most of them killing wise.

As for TR it is a good overall class as well. it does worse vs mobs and better vs bosses and high life targets than CW. Like CW - The TR can solo any Major heroic encounter in IWD and kill fast in the process.