test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Opinions wanted, fusing several quests into one?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Foundry
Hello everyone, I'm thinking in doing a quest (inspired mainly by castlevania) where you enter a castle and have to visit different sections of it (like a library, chamber of torture, and different towers) to finally face a vampire that is terrorizing a village.
I have 2 ideas on how to do this:
- one is to have each of the areas into a different quest, and make it a campaign. Like quest 1 the castle entrance, quest 2 the library, quest 3 the chamber of torture.
-other idea is to have all those areas in the same quest, and you have to choose one of them and the final boss would be the same for any areas that you choose. (each area would need to be over 15 mins to qualify for the daily.)

The advantage of the second option is that it would offer great replayability, since there would be at least 4 paths to choose, even though the ending would be the same. Also I wouldn't need too many foundry slots (I don't think I have 4 free ones anymore). But the disadvantage is that I could make a much more epic campaign by having all of those areas in a separate quest, it would feel like a much bigger quest and a bigger castle too, and that's the feeling I'm looking for.

so, I'd love to hear your opinions on it, which one would you prefer? Or if you wanna sugest another idea I would gladly listen to it. :)
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you can pull it off, more power to you. I am way too detail-heavy on my maps to be able put four quests worth of stuff in using only 1700 details. So, if I were making it, I'd either make it multi-map, where you have to go through each section in one quest (yeah, it would be long... I stopped caring about that when people even stopped playing the short ones), or a campaign. But perhaps you can do it all on one map with that choose-your-path, and if you can, that would be quite cool.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ah, dind't think about the detail limit, I'm pretty detail heavy too, so that could be an issue.
    I could always make a middle solution, like having 2 maps and each one with 2 possible paths that can be chosen.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes, detail limit would certainly kill the idea of one-map castle. You can do one-map quest with already detail maps but that would work for outdoor only. I doubt you could make entire castle in one map. You can try though - that would be impressive. Maybe they will increase the limit with module 6 (we can have dreams).
    Making it a campaign have one disadvantage: - immersion. If every floor of the castle would be a new quest that would force people to return to the Enclave after every quest. You would have to explain that. I guess you could make a "portal to town" at the end of every floor - for selling loot and stuff so... that could work, never mind ;P
    Or as suggested, you could make a long quest with over-world transitions. Which would be pretty cool if you ask me. Every map could be a new floor or two. If you would make it not too big it might not be as long. Or just go all the way and make it huge ;)
    Your call.
    Btw. Great looking Castle you have there.
    Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Personally, I would recommend making it all one quest, and having all three be mandatory.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    edited February 2015
    I'm only worried about the lenght, I want each separate area to last at least 15 mins and If I have 4 areas that's at least 1 hour of gameplay, maby people are turned off by too long quests (mainly because I get random disconnects and many times I can't retake the quest and I lose all progress.)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Although it is technically impressive to have a 3in1 quest I've found that they suffer from lack of details and story. Since you wouldn't be able to add required NPC conversations that actually spoke about details of the quest, you would end up with a really bland story.

So although it is not as technically challenging, I would recommend making it separate quests.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I might run out of foundry quests slots though... I have 11/15 used :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I would suggest at least breaking it into 2 quests if you want to get really detailed with it. Two quests each with two different paths you can take gives you replay value on both, and is still manageable for size. Just bear in mind that the more they have to do, the longer the quest will take, and the smaller your niche of players will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2015
    Yeah that could work, 2 quests with both 2 aviable areas to explore, I think I should have enough assets for that :D
    I don't think I'll make a quest longer than 25-30 mins, I've found that most people are turned off by longer queues...
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah once you break the 30 minute barrier, people tend to skip to "shorter for my daily" quests. I think 2 should work out, it's a nice round number...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5