test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, for me it's situational. If I have to cover a little ground, I'll fire off CoI first, then close and cast ST. If I'm in the thick of things, I try to lead off with ST.

But for all practical purposes, yes, there's really not big lose if you want to throw CoI (and possibly IT) down to start the freezing, then follow up with ST.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • vnrenshivnrenshi Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Yeah, for me it's situational. If I have to cover a little ground, I'll fire off CoI first, then close and cast ST. If I'm in the thick of things, I try to lead off with ST.

But for all practical purposes, yes, there's really not big lose if you want to throw CoI (and possibly IT) down to start the freezing, then follow up with ST.

i actually find it significantly better to throw CoI and/or IT before casting ST, due to the 5% damage taken debuff from bitter cold and (with my current build) the 15% damage bonus to ST casts from masterful arcane theft on targets affected by chill. I think even if you're not using masterful arcane theft, a case can be made for hitting a pack with chill before casting ST for the Bitter Cold debuff alone, since you can cast CoI at range to start the debuffs for your party as well as yourself.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Agree with both of you. I just really do not want to miss out on maximizing the number of SS procs and try to maximise the HV / CA buffs to those procs.
    edited January 2015
    BTW, now that there are so many speced into Bitter Cold, 9 times out of 10 it is up from someone so I just said the heck with it and went all in on Rene feats. Is this a fair strategy?
    edited January 2015
    depending on your usual party composition, it could be a reasonable strategy. in my case, i'm usually the only CW, so i keep it in my build. i find it more valuable to make sure i have it rolling no matter what, not to mention that even when 2 CWs are using it in the same party, one usually lags behind a bit from time to time, so i still get some utility from it when my fellow wizard isn't up front with me on every pull, or vice versa
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The way my community rolls, we bring the person, not the class, so we're always running with very interesting group combinations. So for me, I'll stick with bitter cold. I like knowing I'm a one-stop shop for team buffs.

But either way, you're not killing the effectiveness of the build by any means. If it works for you, go for it.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited January 2015
    So I saw the thread in the main forum and went back to do some more testing, and it doesn't look like the Intellect Devourer's bonus is working after all...I thought it had been fixed, but apparently not :(
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited January 2015
    On single target, is Ice Knife still better than OF? I ask this question because I assume that OF can proc multiple SS.
    edited January 2015
    niadan wrote: »
    On single target, is Ice Knife still better than OF? I ask this question because I assume that OF can proc multiple SS.

in a word: yes

its significantly better on single target, especially if you use FW
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With Chilling presence and focused wizardry, I think it does more damage. I went to 300k on a fully debuffed dragon, and it often deals more than 150k critical damage.
  • luceelooluceeloo Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    niadan wrote: »

Ice knife is definitely better than OF on single target. As long as your keeping all your buffs and debuffs up, and watching your procs on Chaos Magic, you can hit harder with a single Ice Knife than OF with SS procs. My highest Ice Knife, to date, on a dragon was 392k.
    edited January 2015
    qzyefjP.jpg

Happened tonight on Tiamat.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited January 2015
    Ok I am convinced...off to spend some AD on a respec! Focused Wizardry here I come lol!
  • nickitysplitnickitysplit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just a quick question, seeing as im getting closer to 60 now, i've been watching AH prices so i can save up for some decent gear, no idea how i missed it before, but i noticed the stats on HV set today (don't flame, it will be my first 60 toon lol) and its left me wondering...

Where does your ArPen/LifeSteal come from without slotting darks in every slot? which in essence, would nerf HP/Power quite a bit? Of course im talking solo here. The only other set i see with those stats are draconic...and yeah 500k per piece when i looked today.

Sorry if thats a nub thing to ask but, i don't see myself having 3 purple artifacts any time in the next 3 month, if you know what i mean lol =D

Sooo, i'm a little on the fence as to what to do now, original idea was to buy a cheap set, something like the Archmages t1, or even immediately HV seeing as its dirt cheap atm...but not so sure now tbh.
    - Carpe diem -
    edited January 2015
    Artifacts, Neck, Rings and Belts are good places to find Armor Pen/Life Steal, as well as the gear your augment wears. You can also reinforce armor with Armor Penetration kits for an extra 100 each. If you have Level 20 JC, and can afford them (about 130k right now), Gemmed Archmage Rings can be turned into Personalized Rings, which give you 250 armor pen and 250 power, plus a defense AND offense slot.

But if you have to slot Darks in your offensive slots to get Armor Pen, then that's fine. And nothing is going to make up for the HV debuff, so don't get super obsessed over the stats on HV.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • nickitysplitnickitysplit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah i completely overlooked the rest of the slots, weapons + accessories haha, my bad :D

I don't usually mind slotting darks in defense slots if i have to, i do that while levelling anyway (currently running with all r5 darks at lv.40, overkill i know lol).

I've no idea how long it would take to level JC to 20 (im working on it, lv.4 atm, soooo slow lol) so whatever epics i get from campaign will have to do until i can afford those Gemmed Archmage ones :(

I'm probably just stressing over the upcoming mod6 changes if they stick lol, primarily a solo player and takin mobs 1 at a time gets old reeeeeal fast hehe =D

Anyway, thanks for the fast reply! Just wanted to be sure i wasn't gonna make any costly mistakes lol.
    - Carpe diem -
    edited January 2015
    Nope. And don't worry about Module 6...we'll be fine.

Of course, I'll be following the changes closely, and will update this guide as needed. But we're still at least a couple months away from that, so just have fun for now.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • frazerngfrazerng Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just a quick question. On your guide you wrote that Chilling Presence add 6% more damage per chill stack. But noticed in game it says 2% only? Was there a nerf or smth? I need to know this before committing into Chilling Advantage
    Thanks in advance
    edited February 2015
    2% per rank. So 6% per stack at Rank 3, doubled on frozen targets.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • skumbagchrizzleskumbagchrizzle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    The Cat (Wondrous Bazaar), Stone of Radiance (Promotion), Stone of Might (1000 Trade Bars) or the Black Dragon Stone (3000 Zen) are all excellent options, too.

If you didn't have/get a Chicken, which of those would you go for next? What about the stone of allure?
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you didn't have/get a Chicken, which of those would you go for next? What about the stone of allure?

ATM you would want a build with high power, so radiance or dragon it is. To upgrade radiance you would have to spent 1,25 million AD, so you can go for dragon, if you want. It gives most power and armor pen of the possible stones.

Allure is good but inferior to the above mentioned, bc. it has a slot for DC icon. They have less stats, then the personalized jewelery you can slot in the other stones.

I use allure atm, bc I upgraded it and I dont want to spent another million AD for a few hundred stats.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    edited February 2015

Black Dragon for sure.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • actausactaus Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2015
    Please help me understand this guys, basically, renegade CW will out perform thaum CW? even after module 6? I thought thaum suppose to be the destruction path while renegade is tactical.
    edited February 2015
    Group buffs are critically important to overall performance in Neverwinter.

This is where the Renegade has a significant advantage over the Thaumaturge tree. And I think that gap is going to get wider in Module 6.

In a pure 1 v 1 test, without each others buffs, a Thaumaturge is going clearly be able to out DPS a Renegade in Module 6. But in a group setting, a Renegade is hands down going to bring a bigger damage boost to the group overall.

So yes, if you want to maximize personal DPS, you can probably still stick with Thaumaturge. But then when you get frustrated because you missed beating Tiamat because of a few percentage points, remember that would have been a win had you been a Renegade ;)
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    actaus wrote: »
    Please help me understand this guys, basically, renegade CW will out perform thaum CW? even after module 6? I thought thaum suppose to be the destruction path while renegade is tactical.

Right now on live Thaumaturge and Renegade are both very, very good and it is debateable which is better overall. Renegade's have Chaotic Magic which is a tremendous party buff. Thaumaturge's have less party contribution but can dish out more solo damage (especially on bosses) thanks to Assailant, Warped Magics, Creeping Frost, and some other feats which passively boost damage.

When Module 6 hits I plan to switch from Thaumaturge to Renegade for several reasons:

-Everyone is losing a ton of lifesteal which makes the healing from the Renegade capstone much, much more valuable both for me and my party. I survive a heck of a lot better on the preview server with a Renegade build than a Thaumaturge one.

-Chilling Presence getting buffed with an additional rank is a big DPS bump. Much more so that 1 more second of EoTS. So CP is separating from the pack as the best damage passive. And CP synergizes much better with Renegade builds than Thauma.

-The new Renegade feat Abyss of Chaos does crazy DPS. Even if they tone it back before it release it still looks likely to be a very strong damage boost. Summoning a companion makes it proc even in solo play.

As things stand now, Renegade's are by far the best build on the preview server in terms of solo damage, solo survivability, group damage and group survivability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While I played as a thaum starting MOD4, I never used high LS for CW so I think I won't really feel the change in my gameplay to begin with. As i switched back to Renegade in MOD5 there was just an abundance of HP. Just a quick gaze at the corner of the screen. Is the green buff there? Yes? Submerge into 50 mobs. Green out? Shift away. Is red there yet and are they frozen? Yes? Throw everything.

Regardless of fun play, there was never any serious threat to the CW players imho, even when wearing HV. Those who rushed, well, they deserved to die to begin with. A rushing HV CW player who distances himself/herself from the group are usually playing with me only once and never again.

So, a question to those who've played on preview

What's the good way to utilize the Entangling force for MOD6?
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • grottolgrottol Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Took me a while reading through Kealc's (Spelled it wrong prolly) damage/dps guide.
    I've been making a Renegade CW for the aforementioned reason, group buff.

Everyone in the party benefits with Renegade, so I thought it was best at the time.

Edit:
    Reread some stuff, ABYSS OF CHAOS? This looks too good to be true. If there was any doubt in Renegade CW for me, it's dead as of now.
    edited February 2015
    Just to update: Tested out the Intellect Devourer again on Preview and the bonus is in fact NOT doing anything. Filed another bug report.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • saulty199122saulty199122 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I currently am running Renegade CW as of before this guide, and I've read through it and made a few changes to my armor, and feat placements...I however cannot get my hands on a Kessel's Arti....is there one you would put in its place? Like Thayan Book of the Dead? or any of the Dragon Arti's?
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I currently am running Renegade CW as of before this guide, and I've read through it and made a few changes to my armor, and feat placements...I however cannot get my hands on a Kessel's Arti....is there one you would put in its place? Like Thayan Book of the Dead? or any of the Dragon Arti's?

Do you have the Lantern? Do you have any other level 60s?

I assume he recommended Kessels for the CA bonus

These artis also have it:

Lantern of Revelation- Has great stats, but without re-reading the first page, I'm assuming he's already mentioned it.

The Black Ice Beholder -the recovery is OK, but not as nice as power. It can be just as hard to get.

Heart of the Blue Dragon -Same as beholder

TR Sigil- the deflection is not needed. requires a 60 TR in IWD.

Just about any Arti is good. I wouldn't say no to the AP gain on the Thayan Book. If Control Bonus works, it's good. GWF Sigil has great stats.