test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

And the Devs miss the real problem yet again.

bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2015 in The Foundry
So they are removing all the imp portals now.

Never mind that the existence of them was never the problem, but rather their MISUSE. Cryptic can't be buggered to actually punish the real exploiters. Much easier to just take the toys away from everyone. We are all hurt by this. And now the exploiters will just come find something else to exploit. Just another example of shotgun medicine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by bardaaron on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the way cryptic deals with exploits make me think they don't want to actually patrol the quests and see which ones are exploits, they just prefer to take things away from everyone, no matter if they're hurting legit authors
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    reiwulf wrote: »
    the way cryptic deals with exploits make me think they don't want to actually patrol the quests and see which ones are exploits, they just prefer to take things away from everyone, no matter if they're hurting legit authors

It's a sign that they don't have the staff to do things properly imo. And considering how much zen we know went thru the zax during the backlog days, that's a bad sign.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Hey if they want to employ some more people to hunt down exploits in Foundry Quests, I will gladly take that job! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Hey if they want to employ some more people to hunt down exploits in Foundry Quests, I will gladly take that job! ;)

Pfft. I'd do it for free. Just give me the ban hammer.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not thrilled with the idea either, and I don't have a quest that involves Summoning Portals. It'd be nice to see something added, since they are taking something away from us. It's probably fruitless to think so. As a community, we're some of the most loyal players of the game, but we always seem to get shafted, it's downright thankless sometimes...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have three (or two on easy mode) of the Thayan Portals with invisible ghost costumes (made tiny with sliders) that were located within crystal balls (with collision removed) in the final boss fight in my only published quest. They were in no way violating the terms of service, because the players HAD to destroy them to defeat the final encounter...

If they just turned off the xp/loot for the Thayan Portal AND turned off the spawning system...

We could totally work with that, and make our own that work within the 50 encounter budget and it would have the side benefit of allowing authors to have destructable things too...
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Pfft. I'd do it for free. Just give me the ban hammer.
    Oh, I would too, but getting paid to play Foundry Quests and hit the exploits with a ban hammer would be AWESOME.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    reiwulf wrote: »

What irks me is how EASY it is for them to patrol the quests to see which are the exploits.

1) Call up logs of reported exploit quests (at the end of each quest instead of rating a quest you can report it as a violation).
    2) Look at those quests, to verify that they are exploits and not just someone who got griefed by someone abusing the reporting function.
    3) Remove those quests, and the authors that created them.

Simple.
    edited January 2015
    What irks me is how EASY it is for them to patrol the quests to see which are the exploits.

1) Call up logs of reported exploit quests (at the end of each quest instead of rating a quest you can report it as a violation).
    2) Look at those quests, to verify that they are exploits and not just someone who got griefed by someone abusing the reporting function.
    3) Remove those quests, and the authors that created them.

Simple.

4) Change the requirement for opening the Authoring ability to a much higher level, perhaps even level 60. This will help make it harder for the farmers to quickly make new farmer author accounts.
    5) No quest with an average playtime of less than 10 minutes can migrate out of the "Review" tab. Purge all quests from the Best and New tab that are less than 10 minutes...
  • tipadaknifetipadaknife Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Any restrictions you add will just be new hurdles for sploit foundry authors, and they will hurdle them. There is no easy solution.

People should be able to make any foundry they want. I just want to be able to HIDE all the sploit farms. I never want to see them. They can be made all they want as long as nobody who doesn't explicitly want to see them can find them. I can't even find my own foundries without looking for the exact titles. And the kind I write are the kind I want to play (hence why I write them that way). If I can't find mine, I can't find those similar to mine, either.
    dec2014nwsig.png
    edited January 2015
    Any restrictions you add will just be new hurdles for sploit foundry authors, and they will hurdle them. There is no easy solution.

People should be able to make any foundry they want. I just want to be able to HIDE all the sploit farms. I never want to see them. They can be made all they want as long as nobody who doesn't explicitly want to see them can find them. I can't even find my own foundries without looking for the exact titles. And the kind I write are the kind I want to play (hence why I write them that way). If I can't find mine, I can't find those similar to mine, either.

You're absolutely correct that people should be able to make whatever foundries their heart's desire... within reason and abiding by both the terms of service and EULA. The categorization and search features in the foundry should be better. Farms and legitimate quests should be in entirely separate tabs.

Unfortunately, we have yet to receive clarification on what constitutes an illegitimate quest.

For the short term, removing XP/loot gain for any summoned/excess spawn would be a more ideal solution than simply removing the assets entirely.

It would be doubly great if Cryptic gave authors a single mob encounter that is completely stationary, doesn't award XP/loot, and can be used to create destructable game assets...
  • idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Categorizing the divide between legit and farm exploit quests would have little effect. If an exploit author publishes a farming quest, they are unlikely to publish it under "farming" as the mindset for farm Foundries are automatically exploitary making it easier to find the culprits which I doubt are stupid enough to do so they'd publish it under"normal" quests anyway.

I agree with Tipa on the point of being able to make any quest you desire which still regards the R&R or ToS/ToU. I have made farming Foundries in the past but only specifically for personal use and is usually deleted soon after and even said in descriptions "this is not for the intention of public play through" but the fact of it being there in the first place cannot be ignored even if being deleted within short time periods of publish but I have tried to keep them out of sight. If someone did notice them, I'd still respect their choice for reporting it if that be their intention.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm waiting for the removal of every creature that can summon things, since there's three or four other creatures that can summon besides the portals.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm waiting for the removal of every creature that can summon things, since there's three or four other creatures that can summon besides the portals.

Yea, but those creatures fight back. You cant just sit there in front of one of them without, at least, a little active attention. The portals just sat there, they didn't injure you, they didn't move around. Allowing one to simply take two steps back and fight the imps without ever risking any chance of killing the portal in the process. You simply cant do that verses a Deathlock Wright or a Shaman. Its much harder to fight their spawns without killing them. And certainly something that cant be macro'ed or automated.

So, I expect the other creatures are safe.