test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please help me...

berhudarolberhudarol Member Posts: 106 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Foundry
Hello, I have made a foundry which is linear. I released it thats ok for now but now i am working on another foundry but this time i don't want linear story. I want to do multiple choice options.
I come to a point and don't know how to do it...

There are two factions. You have to choose which one to enter. If you choose A, you get X quest. If you choose B, you get Z quest.

Factions: A and B
Quest Maps: X and Z

X and Z are diffrent maps. If you choose A you have to go to X and kill enemy Boss1 and take the drop which is a ring, if you choose B you have to go to Z and kill enemy boss2 and take the drop which is a ring.

I know i have to bring two quest together at some point and i decided to make a custom ring which drops from the bosses. If you bring that ring, quest continues...Ring is same for both A and B so no problem here BUT the problem is maps. I think foundry editor doesn't allow me to use two seperate map during story preparation, right? :(

jvAEnL.png
Post edited by berhudarol on

Comments

• dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can't use different maps like that. You would have to make one map with two separate areas.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Also, every quest objective you put in your story board MUST be completed, and there can only be one ending, final objective, so everything that happens in between the choosing and the end has to be done without formal objectives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • berhudarolberhudarol Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Also, every quest objective you put in your story board MUST be completed, and there can only be one ending, final objective, so everything that happens in between the choosing and the end has to be done without formal objectives.

Hmm, so do i have to kill both bosses to continue? If thats the only way than how can i make a multi way quest?
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You would have to make one objective to get that custom ring item, then set both bosses to drop it, and use some sort of non-objective means to force the player to choose one or the other.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    berhudarol wrote: »
    Hmm, so do i have to kill both bosses to continue? If thats the only way than how can i make a multi way quest?

All maps must be used and they must be used in the order they are placed. All objectives in your storyboard must be completed by the player.

To create the illusion of choice for the player:

Create as large a map as you can. Use interactive (objects or NPCs) that open the direction of quest A and Quest B based on what the user chooses.

You can create "bosses" in each quest area: Quest A and Quest B. For everything that appears in each of these areas do NOT put them into the storyboard. Control pathways, doors and mobs with interactive objects or triggers (kill Mob = open doorway).

Put the FINAL objective in your storyboard to the player and finish the quest, collects reward, leaves the map. It will take some creativity on your part - but you cannot use the Storyboard (except for the last part of the quest) and it's a good idea to your OFF Quest path (fairy dust trail).
  • berhudarolberhudarol Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ok, thank you all. I understood. Going to try it now...
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You could have dialog options that aren't part of the main quest objectives, but they would open one door or the other, forcing players down one path or the other path.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wininoid wrote: »
    -SNIP-

DAYAM. Where the hell have YOU been? LOL Good to see you again. Have you been about and I simply have not seen you or are you peeking in after a two-year hiatus?

Either way, welcome back (if you are back, that is). :)
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    A little sleight of hand you can do is naming your objectives as what you want them to do, but the actual objective is something different. For instance, have a "kill" objective where they never see the enemy, because it is killed by friendlies off screen to trigger something else to happen. Call the objective something else that tells them what to do, but isn't the objective. You can do this with other things like reach-point objectives, and really just about anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've been back and forth between here and STO. Check out "Party Crashers ST-HUY4Y2D5Q" over there if you play. I'm currently working (slowly) on a quest that will have some optional side stuff, so I've been thinking about this topic. I sent you a PM so as not to derail the thread. :)

--Winin
  • idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    A little sleight of hand you can do is naming your objectives as what you want them to do, but the actual objective is something different. For instance, have a "kill" objective where they never see the enemy, because it is killed by friendlies off screen to trigger something else to happen. Call the objective something else that tells them what to do, but isn't the objective. You can do this with other things like reach-point objectives, and really just about anything.

Since we are sharing tips, for other tricks for the Foundry, check out this YouTube video on OR logic by Richard Fleming, also known as Celantra. He helped me figure out the Foundy when I started and found it extremely helpful along with others of his Neverwinter Foundry videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rqnwZBn67o
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Since we are sharing tips, for other tricks for the Foundry, check out this YouTube video on OR logic by Richard Fleming, also known as Celantra. He helped me figure out the Foundy when I started and found it extremely helpful along with others of his Neverwinter Foundry videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rqnwZBn67o

Those videos are pretty old and have some bad suggestions in a few of them.

Neverwinter Wiki Advanced Foundry Topics is more up to date.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Richard Fleming, also known as Celantra

Where did you hear that was Celantra?
    Celantra was in ill health about a year ago and sadly hasn't been seen since.
    He also made the wonderful Encounter Matrix which hasn't been updated in a few modules.
  • idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Where did you hear that was Celantra?

It was an old video from 2013 about publishing on the Foundry. I don't actually know myself if it was. However, one of the first names I saw was Celantra but The name that was used was 'Gemstrike' but most of the Foundry's he was subscribed to was Celantra's. This was only by assumption however since in this video he mentions about "self subscribing to easily find your work". It was a while since I last saw it. I may or may not have been wrong since the beginning about who it was. I'm starting to actually wonder if it was Cel at all at this point but I will need to look at it again and see if it is or not.

By his general characteristics and knowledge of the Foundry, (going by assumptions) the person does seem to have a decent amount of knowledge of the Foundry and appears to know what he's doing. I have never met Celantra at all so I cannot say how similar to this so I am only going by descriptions from others as a guide.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love optional content in foundry quests, and also (the illusion of) choices.
    But I hope sometimes we can make some real side quests and or logic, for less linear quests.
    2e2qwj6.jpg