test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

little advice on professions

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
whats the cheapest way to unlock the 2 profession slots related to 100% bonus speed and rank 3 result?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    This may have changed as I have not looked it up in a while...
    but buying Alchemy resources used to be the cheapest method.

Buying 4 Master Alchemists was a very cheap investment and you do not need to get a very high level in alchemy in order use all four of them on a single task to unlock the additional slot.

Getting the purple tools was still fairly expensive even for Alchemy, although not as bad as some other professions, but mileage does vary and module 5 did increase the demand, to an extent, of some Alchemy tools.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wot Ambisinisterr says... and it's how I did it:

Obtain 4 purple alchemists: this gives you the 100% speed on crafting. Obtain 4 purple mortars (or blues, but could take longer) - use them to craft potions (the limited time tasks at the top of the list) - this gives you the best chance to create the rank 3 result, unlocking that other slot. Though even with a purple alchemist and three purple mortars it can still take a couple tries.

Then save these purple assets and transfer them to your new toons so they can do the same when the time comes.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The "100% speed" slot is much cheaper and quicker to do than the "rank 3 result" one.
    4 blue guys will do the 100% thing and are cheaper than 2 purples ones. I chose platesmiths because I already had one blue on out of that profs pack you get from the Neverdeath storyline.

The rank 3 slot cost me an absolute fortune for 4 purple alchemy tools (I think I went for 2 crucibles and 2 mortars). Not sure opening that slot will ever really pay back, even though I have plenty of toons. I'm certainly not bothering with the "3 profs to level 20" slot. Those last slots can quite often only earn 400 AD at a time because you can only to 3 of each leadership task. Of course, you may plan to craft items to sell in which case purple assets for that prof is the way to go.

So I think for leadership the optimum is probably to only unlock 6 or 7 of the 9 slots unless you are taking a very long term view (or have a zillion toons).
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    The "100% speed" slot is much cheaper and quicker to do than the "rank 3 result" one.
    4 blue guys will do the 100% thing and are cheaper than 2 purples ones. I chose platesmiths because I already had one blue on out of that profs pack you get from the Neverdeath storyline.

The rank 3 slot cost me an absolute fortune for 4 purple alchemy tools (I think I went for 2 crucibles and 2 mortars). Not sure opening that slot will ever really pay back, even though I have plenty of toons. I'm certainly not bothering with the "3 profs to level 20" slot. Those last slots can quite often only earn 400 AD at a time because you can only to 3 of each leadership task. Of course, you may plan to craft items to sell in which case purple assets for that prof is the way to go.

So I think for leadership the optimum is probably to only unlock 6 or 7 of the 9 slots unless you are taking a very long term view (or have a zillion toons).

I tend to agree with this. The payback for the AD/time cost would be negligible - would take a year or more to break even.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I unlocked the 100% speed slot with blue Weaponsmiths while lvling. The rank 3 slot I went Alchemy and just bought blue alchemists and upgraded them to purple. Didn't prove nearly that costly - 4 blues are generally cheaper than 1 purple asset. You just need to monitor AH consistently to look for bargains.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's purple tool assets you need for the rank 3 result. Purple people speed it up but don't improve the rank % chance.

Yes, 4 blues can be cheaper than one purple but you do need one toon with a high enough prof level to upgrade 'em.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Remember that only the first tool used needs to be a specific one. After that, any tool for that profession will work.

So you could use 1 crucible and 3 philosophers stones and get the same percentage as 4 stones. The first tool is task specific, the others are just procession specific.

There are also some tools that cross professions, which can be useful. Though in reality, the only tools you will use for anything more than opening slots are JC tools. The other profession results just aren't up to par with the gear level of drops.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Alchemy and Alchemy.
    edited January 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    It's purple tool assets you need for the rank 3 result. Purple people speed it up but don't improve the rank % chance.

Yeah I meant for both people and assets when I mentioned upgrading from blue to purple.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so i managed to have for 2 days 2 purple weaponsmithing workers so i should be set.
    so the rank 3 results i m looking around on AH but it s really cost efficent? yeah i can re-sell the assets ( which is kind impossible atm there is no reason to buy assets ) but i would lose about 400k in taxes.
    edited January 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    so i managed to have for 2 days 2 purple weaponsmithing workers so i should be set.
    so the rank 3 results i m looking around on AH but it s really cost efficent? yeah i can re-sell the assets ( which is kind impossible atm there is no reason to buy assets ) but i would lose about 400k in taxes.

Well if you only want to unlock the slots contact me in game and I will borrow you my Alchemy assets :) I have 4 purple mortars and 1 blue alchemist's stone.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• jfrostnwjfrostnw Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can unlock the 100% in Alchemy at level 1 with 4 Blue guys doing Alchemical Research. You can unlock rank 3 result at Level 3 with 4 purples - 60% chance or a a combo of 2x blues and 2x purple - 28% chance.

You need to find a rare level 3 task. Once I get the rare task, I just finish the task early until I get the rank 3 result, cost from 4-6K a pop. You'll eventually make it. Just use purple alchemy tools that aren't part of Jewelcrafting. Sell them back when you're done.
  • balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For the speed slot, I got 2 heroes, can feed the needy and get it in 5 min, plus the 2 heroes makes getting your AD back faster. And you can pass them to your friends and everyone can do it in less than a day.
  • drugsmademedoitdrugsmademedoit Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I personally use 2 Heroes in Leadership to get the 100% task. You can do a 10 minute task that requires Porridge at level 1 Leadership the name escapes me.

For the Tier 3 result I use Alchemy, get it to level 3 have enough assets to hit 60% tier 3 result. Not sure if that is the cheapest method but I had those assets available and ready to go and they do the trick.