test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OMG I hate those mimic treasure chests!

shaddomastershaddomaster Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvE Discussion
Sheesh!!! Who thought that would be a fun idea?

Because of the built in animations, you always get caught crouching down right in front of the monster! Then, too, it's conveniently immune to most attacks & has a really small hit box!

I just hate those things!:mad:
Post edited by shaddomaster on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Because of the built in animations, you always get caught crouching down right in front of the monster! Then, too, it's conveniently immune to most attacks & has a really small hit box!

Then don't click the ones that say press f to open.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    They are really easy to avoid. Mouse over any chest- if your cursor doesn't turn into a money bag, then it's a mimic. It's that simple.

Also, it's not immune to attacks, just CC- plus this game doesn't really rely on hit boxes per se, either- having a really annoying type of aim assist.

Summary- use your head and don't freak out. Ain't no thang.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."---Emperor Palpatine

:cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I, for one. They really are a fun idea and totally awesome. Its good times just to open them anyhow, even if you know they will bite back.

They are one of the few truly D&D things about the game, lets not ruin it with unneeded rage. Lighten up
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe more of a variety of mimics? A chair that eats you? A tub that closes in on you? A closet to walk in that grows teeth, and drools then WHAM!!! How about a mimic that's learned to resemble a painting?

Oh, things could get horrible here....

(Mimics btw can drop some pretty good treasure so player beware on opening. It's deadly roulette.)
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe more of a variety of mimics? A chair that eats you? A tub that closes in on you? A closet to walk in that grows teeth, and drools then WHAM!!! How about a mimic that's learned to resemble a painting?

With the amount of looted gear we equip without the least cause of concern. I figure a mimic helmet would be down right diabolical. :p
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mimic pants....youch!
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Water weird, anyone?
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015

^This. My only complaint about mimics is that they aren't mimics; they're just wolves in treasure-chest skin. A real "mimic" will actually mimic different stuff. Another two or three or dozen designs would be awesome. But as Dev resources go such a thing would be pretty low on the priority totem pole.
  • linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...and transform from Mimic prey to Mimic Hunter
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I usually always fight them if I am by myself. I'll ask other's first before opening one, usually. I love them. The Gelatinous Cubes too. They're fun and some in some situations can be rather challenging, or perhaps rather surprising, in a fun way. I do admit, much of my love for them does come as a DM who loves using mimics, slimes, jellies, oozes, lurkers, and other ambush creatures against my players.

In my opinion, they and all normal loot chests should be made so they cannot be spotted as being mimics and go on a random spawn, where sometimes they're chests, sometimes they're mimics or guarded by a cube/ambush creature.

Would love to see some Greater Mimics (this one's as a doorway):
    greater_mimic01.jpg

House Hunter Mimics!
    mimic_househunter.gif

We need some of these cute guys too:
    mimic_barrel.jpg
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i open them just to f___ with ppl :D awesome idea and want moar and harder to notice ones, like the idea about them randomly replacing chests :D

if they keep this rotten refinement system they could drop some RP
    Paladin Master Race
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    In my opinion, they and all normal loot chests should be made so they cannot be spotted as being mimics and go on a random spawn, where sometimes they're chests, sometimes they're mimics or guarded by a cube/ambush creature.

THIS would be awesome, too. If they can't (or won't) create a variety of shapes then this would be a good solution. Though it would be fun if they were different shapes and triggered on proximity rather than interactive, say a bookcase for example. Foundry authors know what I mean: throw down a "point-reached" marker with just the right diameter to trigger it.

And they do have surprise spawns in Cryptic maps all over the place, for example in Icespire Peak in the Rime Hound instance for example where the two goblins come running down the stairs at you, but not until you reach those stairs.

~shrug~

For the record I love fighting the mimics in-game. I just wish there were more variety of them.
    edited January 2015

We need some of these cute guys too:
    mimic_barrel.jpg

Now that is pure evil. It's imitating the beer.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    But let's label them all "Perfectly Safe Treasure Chests" :D
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I think these mimic chests are a good fun idea.

However, here are some suggestions to improve them further:

- make them drop blue and even purple refinement stones
    - do not make them easily distinguishable from normal chests
    - double their DPS
    edited January 2015

- double their DPS

You know that's the thing that always bothers me with the mimics is that they have only standard loot tables with their deaths. Something special should be added to them to make it worth killing them.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015

- double their DPS
    I agree except for the 2nd one. Instead, all loot chests (not end-reward) should be the same. When looted for the first time in that dungeon, it should have a chance to become a mimic instead of containing loot. There should be no way to tell them apart and all normal loot chests should be like this.

The mimics themselves should drop good rewards, like refine items, blue gear, and so on. Perhaps even a miniscule chance to drop a normal (non-wintery) mimic companion.

As well, there needs to be more types of mimics, like barrels, crates, bags, doorways, rugs, etc. These new types should have their own mimic-companion version too. Well, except for the doorway and rug, or other ones that would just be TOO weird to see out and about as a companion.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, except for the doorway and rug, or other ones that would just be TOO weird to see out and about as a companion.

flying carpet/door mimic mount ? :D could have interaction with some other ppl pets/mounts - OMNOMNOMNOMNOM :D

doubt it would be hard to make that mimics instead of saying annoying stuff would randomly eat nearby mount/companion when idle, imagine the omnomnomnom fest at standard invoking spots/AH/other populated areas
    Paladin Master Race
  • user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Its always fun when you got a new person to the game or particular dungeon who doesn't know about mimics.
    Heh, second time I was in fardelvers crypt I found a hidden treasure chest while everyone was continuing on.
    Me: "hey guys wait, I found a treasure chest"
    Others: "....no....don't"
    *snap*
    !!!! nom nom nom !!!!
    Me: "eeeeee"

The mimics themselves should drop good rewards, like refine items, blue gear, and so on. Perhaps even a miniscule chance to drop a normal (non-wintery) mimic companion.

I think you mean a baby mimic. That would be cool.
  • beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love them. It is one of the most funny jokes inside the game.
    Sometimes I indentionally open mimics to fight`em.
    I like 2 cubes + mimic combo in VT narrow corridor.

And mimic wars: belled companion ice mimic vs the real one :D
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Or how about mimic bosses...:p whereby when you get to a boss in a dungeon there is a less then 1% chance of it being a mimic copying that boss, giving the dungeon a new, more powerful boss with its own unique loot table.