test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Quest Collaberations

idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Foundry
I was going to wait until after the NDD Contest, however I wanted to see if this has ever been done or if it is achievable.

Every Foundry quest I have seen so far is majoritally a solo effort where it is written, created, designed and published by one author but what if there was more than one source of creativity working on the same Foundry?

I'm aware that this is nearly impossible to pull off, especially with multiple people working on the exact same quest but could be achieved where there is one campaign but two or more quests or area's made by different people. This could be; one person does detail and another does story or the unsuggestable idea of Foundry account sharing to cooperatively create a quest.

I want to know:
•Is this a good idea?
•Would this even be possible? (If so has this actually been done?)
•Any other thoughts on this?

I'm rather interested to see the outcome.
Neverwinter
STO
Smite
SWTOR
Post edited by idiotamongus on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is absolutely interest in this and has been requested several times since beta.
    Many people are good storytellers, but bad with environment creation and vice-versa.

Unfortunately the only way to do it would be to use a shared account.
    I think it might technicall violate terms-of-service, but highly doubt if it was solely used for shared-foundry creation that anyone would bother to do anything about it. You might want to "coordinate" online times so you don't have two or more people trying to login/access the account from different locations simultaneously.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Sharing accounts is against the Terms of Service and EULA.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    There is absolutely interest in this and has been requested several times since beta.
    Many people are good storytellers, but bad with environment creation and vice-versa.

Unfortunately the only way to do it would be to use a shared account.
    I think it might technicall violate terms-of-service, but highly doubt if it was solely used for shared-foundry creation that anyone would bother to do anything about it. You might want to "coordinate" online times so you don't have two or more people trying to login/access the account from different locations simultaneously.

Couldn't we just share the needed files, through i.e. skype or some other messenger?

Person A creates a map, sends the files to person B. Person B creates the encounters and sends the updated files to person C. Person C creates the story/texts and sends the updated files back to Person A. So on.

• idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would have thought it still possible to do so, even by titleing both quests under the same name but different chapters or as Colonel suggested, one person per area. Everyone is apparently on the same or connected servers in the Foundry, if Cryptic designed a server system identical to the chat system where people can create and join other servers, wouldn't that be more convenient?
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Couldn't we just share the needed files, through i.e. skype or some other messenger?

Since there are no "local files" that'd be impossible. The Foundry quests information is all stored on Cryptic's servers.
  • tipadaknifetipadaknife Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I share information on an ongoing basis with friends on G+, and they give me their feedback. They aren't actually working directly on the quest, but I don't feel I'm working in a vacuum. The ongoing revamp of my first foundry quest is being immeasurably helped along by comments on my daily updates.

(Latest update, for instance: https://plus.google.com/+BrendaHolloway/posts/7x5WZndRFwP )

Now of course that's going to ruin the element of surprise to some extent, but it's more than worth it for the feedback.
    dec2014nwsig.png
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only feasible way to go about co-creating a campaign would be to reference the other author's quest in your closing text (Perhaps "Chapter__" in the title?) It wouldn't be a true campaign, but as close as possible. Per TOS you can't share an account, but you could decide who writes the next chapter of a collaborated story. It would force players to search for the next quest, so it's an extra step some may or may not be willing to make.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I know I'd like to see collaborative works as a feature for the foundry.
    The only feasible way to go about co-creating a campaign would be to reference the other author's quest in your closing text (Perhaps "Chapter__" in the title?) It wouldn't be a true campaign, but as close as possible. Per TOS you can't share an account, but you could decide who writes the next chapter of a collaborated story. It would force players to search for the next quest, so it's an extra step some may or may not be willing to make.
    Taking turns doing series of campaigns is a cool idea too, it would be akin to a group of authors doing a series of novels, just instead a series of adventures!
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's no reason someone couldn't write the story/dialog and send it to another person to copy/paste into a quest. Could even use something like the flamewind conversation editor to diagram to the recipient how the dialog branches.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.