test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scoring 400 for your offhand is not cheap. Here's why.

vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have encountered some people who can't deal with their artifact being less than 400, some have wasted over 5 million AD trying to get it to 400. Others have given up around that figure.
Hopefully this will help.

You have a 1/300 chance to score 400. Each roll is independently random ranging from 100 to 400.
What this means is that if you do this a lot, on average you will need 300 attempts to get 400. But since we want to do it only once or at most a few times we are not interested in this vague average figure.

So how do we think about this? Probability theory comes to the rescue.

You have a (1 - 1/300) chance to NOT get a 400.
Then according to probability, you have a (1 - 1/300)*(1 - 1/300) chance of not getting 400 twice in a ROW. And so on.

Therefore:
(1 - 1/300)^x = probability of failure after x attempts.

What can we do with this?

It's simple, lets bring this to the realm of a coin-toss. We want to know how many attempts are equivalent to a coin-toss to help our intuition along.

(1 - 1/300)^x = 0.5
x log (1 - 1/300) = log 0.5
x = 208

So what this means is that 208 attempts of this are equivalent to one coin-toss with the goal of getting to 400.

Each coin-toss costs 2.6 million AD. Are you feeling lucky?

You will either get lucky with your first coin-toss and this will cost you 2.6m or less. Or you will need multiple tosses.
As we all know it is not that uncommon to lose multiple coin tosses in a row. Be mindful of that.

This is a clever AD sink designed to scam as much money from perfectionists as possible.
Post edited by vvv459 on

Comments

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Which is why you have to accept not maxing out unless you're lucky. Otherwise you get a good lesson in how damaging gambling can be. It's not ideal, but it's for the best.
  • zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vvv459 wrote: »
    I have encountered many people who can't deal with their artifact being less than 400, some have wasted over 5 million AD trying to get it to 400.

ROFL what??? First sentence got me & couldn't read more. O rolled 368/400 on third try (37,500 AD in rolls) and am living happily ever with that. Not revisiting unless huge pile of Cubes falls from sky or I have absolutely nothing better to spend AD on.
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Got it to 300 and called it a day, I don't really need more than 650 AoE resistance or AP gain :D Haven't decided yet
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Unless you have OCD I don't think you should care that much about an amount around 300~399.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hit a 320 and stopped. A guildie scored a 399 and decided that they would stick with that. 400 is for the exceptionally lucky...
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    got my 400 about 250k ad later than my first roll.
    i just agreed with myself to spend no more than half a mil on that.
    after reading the post i feel myself even more super-lucky lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    got mine to 347 on the first roll, then managed to up it on the second to 397. I'm happy with where it is right now
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know another MMORPG where the stats of the dice are applied even when it's a downsize. You launch a 0-1000 dice, if your item was 742 and you roll a 122, then your item is now 122. But the dices are very cheap.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Could be worse... You could be farming for that perfect stat Ethreal Vortex Shield and cross your fingers for a lvl 16 Defiance Aura and +260% Defense Exile roll.

But yeah. It's pretty bad.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have 396, 385 and 393 so far and used like 50 Cubes for that. Wasting more is morbid.
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    dices should at least increase the stat by 10 points if its a lower roll
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People need to realize that the difference between 300-400 is tiny.

Anything over 350 should be great. The difference between 350 and 400, on something like AP gain or CA damage is less than .4%, especially if you already have points in it. The diminishing returns hits really hard at anything over a total of 600-700 point on these types of starts.

For example, I have the CA boon, a CA artifact, which gives me a CA bonus of 700 or about 7%. Taking that up to 1100 with an artifact roll gave me about an 8% bonus. The numbers are exact since I'm not in game right now, but they're approximate.

If people are spending millions of AD trying to get 1 or 2 more points here, they're just being silly.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    I have 396, 385 and 393 so far and used like 50 Cubes for that. Wasting more is morbid.

Isn't 50 Cubes to much already? or it was split between 3 different characters?
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, anything above 350 is good already, its true u have 1/300 chance to hit any number u r aiming for ( in first hit, also u have only 1/300 chance to hit 100 again :P) but when u r aiming for 351-400 ur chance is 1/6... which is a good chance imo, if u think u rly need those 50 points more, better next 200$ spend on good doctor.

i hit 363 in third try, and i can live with that.

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i hit 363 in third try, and i can live with that.

Well yeah, nothing will make a difference for you >: )
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lol I got 369 (control bonus) on my first roll and left it at that. the difference between that and 390+ is very very small.. like less than 2%

if you really sit there and spend $millions of AD rolling and rerolling til you get exactly 400, ur dum
  • janr92janr92 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    399 with 4cube.

I feel a little trolled.
    | Yolt - TR MI Executioner |
    < Guild: Gravity X Game >
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. How do you roll for this higher number? Do you have to have your OH on legendary to be able to roll, perhaps? I haven't seen any option for my blue one. But sometimes I miss things
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    m1nuend wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. How do you roll for this higher number? Do you have to have your OH on legendary to be able to roll, perhaps? I haven't seen any option for my blue one. But sometimes I miss things

As the relevant tooltips tell you, that stat unlocks at epic.
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ah, okay. Thanks. I guess I'll be able to see it in zone rewards when the servers are back.

(thanks for the thread btw, highly useful)
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    5m ad to get from 399 to 400 :(
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    oh the fun i'll be engaging in after double refinement