test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you play in a P2P server?

hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I hope this kind of topic is allowed.

Would you play mainly in a server that you had to pay monthly to have access to, with no Zen store or ZAX service?

@Edit

Said server would have the Zen items and services through AD in the Wondrous Bazaar or other tokens.
(´・ ω ・`)
Post edited by hefisdo on

Comments

• smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Probably not, simply because it would lock out a high number of elements that's in the game.

That and I don't want to spend money on this game.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This isn't something that PWE would consider. This game was created as, and will always be, a free to play game. To charge for subscriptions goes against PWE's business model (they only exist as an option in STO/CO because those were sub-based games prior to the buyout of Cryptic Studios).
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    Probably not, simply because it would lock out a high number of elements that's in the game.

Good point.

I edited the OP to make it more realistic.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I said yes.. but I meant that I would delete all 14 of my fully loaded level 60 chars with 9 leadership slots each if it would give me a chance to pay a monthly subscription and have stuff smell better. Hell, I still pay sub fees to champs online, and other than logging in once a month to retain ownership of my guild bank, I haven't played it in a year. (I guess mostly because 34 well made characters are hard to let go..)

(Thread was edited while I was a-posting. I don't really get the difference. But I was clear in where I am willing to go. It may not answer the intended question.)

No Zax or Zen? No. I -LIKE- Zax and Zen. I just don't like how it is handled. I was able in CO to do everything I needed with no zen. So I did fun stuff with Zen. I have around 20K zen sitting over there doing nothing. And millions of Questionite. (Astral Diamonds but more so.)

One of the biggest probs in NW is that astral diamonds is for ZAX AND for AH. It was the very first thing I noticed when I logged in during beta. (Well second. First was noticing how stupid the controls are after how sweet they were in CO.) That is why gold spammers hang out. Astrals should be for Zax and for WB only, and quests, of course. Gold should be more plentiful and for AH. I don't know who decided that, but it was not the best way to go.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Knowing how they've showed care towards this game and players, I wouldn't even if I had an infinite amount of money. I've worked so that I didn't need to worry about spending anymore.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nope. I don't ever see myself playing a subscription game. I'm going off f2p as well for that matter.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The last P2P game I was subscribed to was City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Though I enjoy(ed) these games, I felt a pressure to play, and that was uncomfortable for me. With a F2P game, I can play and spend at a pace I'm comfortable with, and know that there's no subscription I have to worry about lapsing or renewing.

That being said, I do feel that the model that PWE has chosen to go with, regarding how things are monetized, needs improvement.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, I have a real hard time justifying a sub at this point with how busy my life is.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The last P2P game I was subscribed to was City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Though I enjoy(ed) these games, I felt a pressure to play, and that was uncomfortable for me. With a F2P game, I can play and spend at a pace I'm comfortable with, and know that there's no subscription I have to worry about lapsing or renewing.

That being said, I do feel that the model that PWE has chosen to go with, regarding how things are monetized, needs improvement.

I sympathize with this exactly. Id personally like to play Champions again, I really miss it, even with all its faults. But I'm not willing to convert all my characters that were made and established under a gold subscription to free silver. It would require changing them radically, altering them to the point I'm not longer interested in playing them. So my characters are locked from me, held hostage, by my initial choice of subscription. If I wish to reconnect with them, as they were originally created and envisioned, I am forced to pay for it.

With Neverwinter, that will never be an issue. My characters are mine, I'm not renting access to them. I can play when I like, spend what I like, or choose not to spend at all. And still enjoy them and the game itself. With this level of access and freedom, I simply cant justify another subscription.

That said, I can agree that the model used here can use improvement. But even in its current state, its a far better option then an endless cycle of rented access, just to enjoy what you've already invested in, with time.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, it would be dead.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I sympathize with this exactly. Id personally like to play Champions again, I really miss it, even with all its faults. But I'm not willing to convert all my characters that were made and established under a gold subscription to free silver. It would require changing them radically, altering them to the point I'm not longer interested in playing them. So my characters are locked from me, held hostage, by my initial choice of subscription. If I wish to reconnect with them, as they were originally created and envisioned, I am forced to pay for it.

With Neverwinter, that will never be an issue. My characters are mine, I'm not renting access to them. I can play when I like, spend what I like, or choose not to spend at all. And still enjoy them and the game itself. With this level of access and freedom, I simply cant justify another subscription.

That said, I can agree that the model used here can use improvement. But even in its current state, its a far better option then an endless cycle of rented access, just to enjoy what you've already invested in, with time.

Can't argue with this, I guess. But considering that I have paid for a lifetime subscript, at least a couple of times... I have to accept the fault as my own. I could own all those characters.. Instead, I have been worrying about how I could still play if I canceled the sub. Which I haven't been doing anyway. I wish I could change my vote at this time, because this game does not even offer a costume shop. I have to look just like every other bloke on the block. So yeah. I picked wrong. No, I would not pay. The offering is insufficient. But I cannot change my vote. Ask me if I would have ever started playing this game if I knew then what I know now, though... I play because I am invested. No other reason.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Exactly the same for me in terms of feeling pressure to play with a subscription. That has everything to do with a lack of time and a need to justify getting 'value for money'.

As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm viewing f2p with increasing skepticism. The amount of money that "needs", I use the term loosely, to be spent in order to make up for a lack of time is starting to exceed what I'm prepared to pay. That leaves me as a f2p player with limited time. The design of the average f2p game doesn't really cater to that type of player. I only have so much patience for grinds when I know that new games will come out faster than I can progress.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    I hope this kind of topic is allowed.

Would you play mainly in a server that you had to pay monthly to have access to, with no Zen store or ZAX service?

@Edit

Said server would have the Zen items and services through AD in the Wondrous Bazaar or other tokens.

I firmly believe that Neverwinter will become 100x better game if it becomes a sub. I can see two types of people not wanting that:

1) AD millionaires - either exploiters or random people scratching their egos by feeling superior online
    2) People who fail to realize that a sub will easily fix most of the problems we face - class balance, bug fixes, more real content not just power creep etc
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited December 2014

CoH/CoV vet yes, your picture gave you away :) About feeling pressured to play the sub, its purely in your head. The 15 bucks/month is nothing compared to how much a free to play game can devour in a year. Maybe today I dont get zen, maybe this month I dont get zen, then a sale comes or sth and I spend 90 euros at once which is half a year of a sub. Few months/paychecks later I forget I spend it and I want to do that again and again.. This is how a ftp game gets money

Main difference ftp vs sub is that the so called bis status is guaranteed in a sub in exchange for time invested. Currently a brand new free player of Neverwinter will not get to that level.
    edited December 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    I firmly believe that Neverwinter will become 100x better game if it becomes a sub. I can see two types of people not wanting that:

1) AD millionaires - either exploiters or random people scratching their egos by feeling superior online
    2) People who fail to realize that a sub will easily fix most of the problems we face - class balance, bug fixes, more real content not just power creep etc

How does a sub fix balance, bug fixes and 'real content'? Considering the amount of lockboxes people buy, they should not be struggling with the resources to handle that. However their skills seem to show otherwise when they repeat bugs they've previously fix, take ages to fix simple tasks and can't even handle the bind status on their own items. Hence we had issues such as the radiance stone that people even gave away for free. Which may I add only has the default skin, while all of the other skins are broken despite them repeating the event with an image of a red radiance stone that you can not obtain.

If they were even to contemplate going sub based, they'd either make a sub option in addition to being f2p or remaking the entire game because the economy has been wrecked so much that all of the damage done would be better to be wiped clean than forcing people to pay up. They went f2p as a design decision in their best interest to earn money, there's nothing wrong with f2p itself if the do the model right.

If the game being sub based means that the game gets bought out and gets handled by a more capable team by a company that values it's customers more then maybe you have a point.
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    How does a sub fix balance, bug fixes and 'real content'? Considering the amount of lockboxes people buy, they should not be struggling with the resources to handle that. However their skills seem to show otherwise when they repeat bugs they've previously fix, take ages to fix simple tasks and can't even handle the bind status on their own items. Hence we had issues such as the radiance stone that people even gave away for free. Which may I add only has the default skin, while all of the other skins are broken despite them repeating the event with an image of a red radiance stone that you can not obtain.

If they were even to contemplate going sub based, they'd either make a sub option in addition to being f2p or remaking the entire game because the economy has been wrecked so much that all of the damage done would be better to be wiped clean than forcing people to pay up. They went f2p as a design decision in their best interest to earn money, there's nothing wrong with f2p itself if the do the model right.

If the game being sub based means that the game gets bought out and gets handled by a more capable team by a company that values it's customers more then maybe you have a point.

Yea well I wont be bothered to explain things that should be common knowledge. You fall in category #2
    edited December 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    Yea well I wont be bothered to explain things that should be common knowledge. You fall in category #2

Yet you're the one who fails to understand that a lot of players are becoming increasingly unhappy with the game. They can currently wait and see how it pans out with little cost to them. Do you really think they'd support cryptic/pwe after all they've done? The issues aren't there because it's f2p. They're there because of bad design. Then again maybe I'm giving people too much credit and they really would throw their money away.

There are other successful f2p games you know?
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, the game in its current state simply isn't good enough to warrant a monthly fee. I used to throw subscription-sized money at PWE every month, but stopped a while back because I'd like to see some changes around here first.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Closing this as this is a topic that is fruitless. This is a wholly free to play game build entirely around a free to play model. There are no plans to ever make a subscription service for Neverwinter and all the posts in the world won't change that.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.